Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Leveling HD25e?

I'm about to start mounting a brand new HD25e. I want my upside down, ceiling mounted HD25e to be as level as I can make it before I start hanging my manual pull down screen. Throw is 12'. Is there a level (gyro) built into the projector or are any of the surfaces of the body "level" with the lens system so I can use a small torpedo level set on them? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.costanza View Post
I'm about to start mounting a brand new HD25e. I want my upside down, ceiling mounted HD25e to be as level as I can make it before I start hanging my manual pull down screen. Throw is 12'. Is there a level (gyro) built into the projector or are any of the surfaces of the body "level" with the lens system so I can use a small torpedo level set on them? Thanks!
The best way to level a projector is not with a level, as a mm off can produce an inch or more off when projecting.

Realistically, the projector itself has very specific offset for the screen size you have purchased, and you should realistically be able to mount your screen at the proper height, and hit it perfectly if all the measurements are correct. That is, if the projector lens should be 7" above the screen, and on center to the screen, then by measuring everything out, that's what it will be.

But, if you want to hang it properly and check, then you should hang the projector, then project onto a wall. Measure the left side and right side of the projected image. If they are the same size, then the projector is square to the wall left/right. Measure the top and bottom width of the image. If they are the same size, then the projector is square to the wall up/down. Once everything is exactly the same size, you have a projector that is square to the wall and as level as it is going to be.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great advice! Thanks. I bought a Bosch GPL3T to help out. I love new tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
As the resident HD25e "Defender" around here maybe I shouldn't be the one pointing this out, but I had an interesting experience with mine. For my size screen (120 inch), it is recommended that the center of the lens should be 9 inches above the top edge of the screen. I set it up that way, and during a recent adjustment, noticed that I was getting a certain amount of keystoning of the image (tapered toward the top). Digital keystone was set to zero. I found out that putting the projector about an inch above the edge eliminated the keystoning, and improved focus - focus on my HD25e has been good enough that I don't suspect it of having the Optoma focus issue, but there's always < 1 pixel of focus non-uniformity across right-top/left bottom corners, and this seemed to help. Trip to Home Depot, some 1 1/2 pipe and fittings, and Bob's your uncle. BTW, using the Peerless geared mount, which simplifies setup.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Optoma or any other projectors?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

U mean the calculator at projector central estimated a 9" offset for a 120" screen at whatever your lens-to-screen distance was, but it was off by 1"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page