seems to me it'd be beneficial is somebody (epson) released a F/W that had a cinema filter delete mod in it, for those who don't give a sh*t about the cinema filter, compared to losing the investment in a $3000+ projector.
the idea of using a metal gearbox is *great* (I wouldn't have thought of it, or of modding my bracket), but I went ahead and got the Poulolo gearbox, and tried the above instructions. A couple of big issues: 1: it's extremely hard, if not impossible, to grind that spindle down. I ordered 5 of the gearboxes, knowing I'd get it wrong. On gearbox #1
, the spindle was ground down unevenly AND I put the screws in too far to mount it to the bracket, and they bunged up the gears, and even when I backed them out, the spindle didn't turn smoothly. On motor try #2
, I put the motor itself into a lathe, and spun it, and put a dremel w/ a cutting head onto a bracket and "turned" the spindle, cutting it down to size. Went a little bit too far, and presto, a little bit too far is too far. I could have used it, but... instead of cutting down the spindle, why not grind out the brass collet? For try #3
, that's what I did. I used a 2.998mm drill bit (I had that size, don't know why), I put the brass spindle (collet?) thing into a vice clamp and drilled exactly on center down about 1/4". It was tricky, trying to figure out how far to drill. First I assembled the old pieces and drew a line on the old motor drive shaft where it met up w/ the spindle. then, I measured that w/ calipers from the base of the motor, then drew that line on the new motor shaft. That told me how far I had to drill into the brass. Once I drilled out the brass, the poulolo motor fit right in there. Instead of doing anything fancy, or using JB weld, which I think almost always breaks free over time, I put the brass spindle in place and heated it up w/ a small hobby torch, on the far end.
I put silver solder on the other end, and when the brass got just hot enough, it sucked that solder in via some kind of wicking mechanism and filled up the channel.
Be sure to wire the red wire to the + terminal on your new gearbox.
I think the reason my last repair didn't last was because the clutch was on way too tight, and I think Epson has a problem that the microswitch triggers, but the motor doesn't stop spinning until a couple revs later, and counts on the clutch for allowing slop. If the clutch is too tight - bang go your gears, pure and simple. If this is the case, even metal gears won't fix the problem, they'll grind too. The trick is probably to loosen your clutch until it provides only enough push to move that cinema filter back and forth, but no more. I'm tempted to put a force gauge on the cinema filter and test how many PSI it requires to move. I bet it's next to nothing, and the clutch is set up for 1000's of times more pressure than is needed!