Benq HT1075 and HT1085ST - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #331 of 351 Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4457 Post(s)
Liked: 4028
The real issue here is that a few of the more experienced forum members have found acceptable sources for replacement lamps that are at least close in performance to genuine OEM replacement lamps. Less experienced forum members looking for the cheapest possible replacement lamp read this and believe they can order any old cheap knock-off lamp and get acceptable if not perfect performance. They are not made aware of the fact that many of the cheap replacement lamps from the multitude of cheap vendors do not provide minimum acceptable performance. Results can range from unacceptably mediocre performance to actually damaging their projectors. Tales of woe have been well documented in this forum.

The warning that should always be included is that any non-genuine OEM replacement lamp represents at least a small risk and some can produce great risk. Unless you know what you're doing you should not expect to get the same results as more experienced forum members who know from experience exactly what to order and who to order from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 351 Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Another reason people can end up with name-brand bulbs that are not as bright, is because a lot of people sell USED lamps on Ebay and call them new. It's almost impossible to tell if it has been used when it was only lightly used. So then they just put it in a box and ship it to you, and you think it's new.

That's what has happened to me before, you can tell if it has been used before (sometimes on certain lamps) by using a magnifying glass or a microscope and looking for wear on the filament, as well as looking for any type of residual wear on the connectors (but this can sometimes happen even if it was never used due to corrosion)...
Dave in Green likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #333 of 351 Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, lots of traps out there for the unsuspecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 351 Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalVideo View Post
Well, I took the plunge and cleaned my 10+ year old screen. Got a clean, damp micro-fiber cloth and gently dusted off and removed about 30 small gnats that have collected over the past 3-4 years. After that my screen looked like a patch work of clean spots. First pass was just hot water gentle wipe down top to bottom and followed it with a dry towel top to bottom. Now it was worse with bold streaks after drying - a little panic at that point. Second pass I did a thorough rinse of the wet cloth and got a small quart bowl of steaming hot water and put just a touch (about 5 drops) of Dawn dishwashing soap. Some sites recommended Dawn or Simple green. I dabbed the cloth into the water just to get it wetter on the surface I would use against the screen and I used a little more pressure and lightly scrubbed the screen top to bottom doing 1/3 of the screen left to right to stop and wipe the excess water off starting at the top and wiping to the bottom without lifting. This time it turned out perfect - no streaks and can't tell any difference in reflectivity across the screen. everything looks great. Can't believe it.

In between the first and second pass while waiting for it to dry hoping to see if the streaking would go away, I was actually looking up the price of a replacement screen.

BTW... that low-cost bulb now has 1608 hours on it. Still bright as the day I put it in.
Nice, Mine is going about 600 hours and no issues. I wish i had bought another bulb as a spare. The price is now about $48 on amazon i think.

Theater: JVC-RS440 & Elite 120". 7.2.4:T1, CS2, FXiA4, RTiA1, 620-RT & Dual 18" DIY Cyclops Subs. Marantz AV7704, Crown XLS(x5), UPA-700, UBP-X800, DP-UB424, ATV 4K & Shield.
Lounge: Benq HT1075, Elite 106" & Sony 75X900F. 7.2.4:RTiA3, CSi5, 65-RT(x4), MC60, RBH I-12 & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, Crown XLS(x2), Amp 100v2(x2) & Shield.
post #335 of 351 Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalVideo View Post
... BTW... that low-cost bulb now has 1608 hours on it. Still bright as the day I put it in.
Just to be clear for anyone new to this, the general rule of thumb is that all UHP lamps lose about 25% of their brightness in the first 500 hours of use. It's not a defect, it's just the way the technology works. So obviously after 1608 hours a UHP lamp can't be as bright as the day it was put in. What happens is that the lamp dimming happens so slowly that our eyes adjust and we perceive that it's still fairly bright. Light meter readings when new vs. 1608 hours would show a significant loss of lumens.
post #336 of 351 Old 02-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Just to be clear for anyone new to this, the general rule of thumb is that all UHP lamps lose about 25% of their brightness in the first 500 hours of use. It's not a defect, it's just the way the technology works. So obviously after 1608 hours a UHP lamp can't be as bright as the day it was put in. What happens is that the lamp dimming happens so slowly that our eyes adjust and we perceive that it's still fairly bright. Light meter readings when new vs. 1608 hours would show a significant loss of lumens.

I'm sure you're right about the gradual lumens loss. Unfortunately, I don't have a light meter to test. Maybe the brightness got a little boost when I cleaned my screen. Let me rephrase what I said... "With the expected ever slight degradation of lumens experienced over the past 1608 hours (regardless of perception) - I'm not going to be putting in my other low cost spare bulb anytime soon."
post #337 of 351 Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what projector do you guys reccomend for home theater?
post #338 of 351 Old 02-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfarkos View Post
what projector do you guys reccomend for home theater?
Deep pockets... ?

BenQ HT8050 4K UHD Hot off the assembly line. It will set you back $8k MSRP - but already selling at $5K. Let me know when you get it installed - I'll bring the free beer and popcorn.

My HT wall could do 180", not so sure about my wallet.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/BenQ-...rojector/41110
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT8050.htm

Last edited by NocturnalVideo; 02-24-2017 at 03:13 PM.
post #339 of 351 Old 03-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello friends,

I just got a BenQ HT1085ST that I'm trying to fix. The person I got it from Bricked it by updating the firmware with the firmware for the w1080st. And now I need a copy of the eeprom to reflash, Before I buy anther one of these projectors just to copy the eeprom myself, I thought I would ask if anyone could help me finding the right file or a donor board. Thank You

Best of days
Andrew
post #340 of 351 Old 06-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
for my w1080st and w1080st+ (ht1085st) i'm using these settings for the w1080st.
they are the best that i could find and they look very natural.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...-and-settings/

what setting are you all using for your ht1085st?

the differences from the w1080st+ (ht1085st) compared to the w1080st:

-a little brighter.
-brightness uniformity is much better. with the w1080st it was obviously darker on one side.
-menu looks a little different.
-keystone also horizontal
- the newer remote is illuminated,so thats a plus.
but the downside is that it makes a loud annoying clicking sound when you press the button!
also,on the new remote there is no button to switch between ECO and SMARTECO!
why the hell did they remove that??

Last edited by pennywise666; 06-18-2017 at 06:37 AM.
post #341 of 351 Old 11-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have to unplug/plug in to power up

Greetings all,

Last weekend my original bulb in my 3 yr old HT 1075 blew. While researching replacement bulb I saw multiple issues with broken glass causing issues with blower fan. In attempt to cover my bases I went ahead and took PJ apart to clean the blower fan. Good news is I didn't see an issue.
Problem is now I have PJ set back up and adjusted to good picture, I cannot turn on without unplugging and plugging back in. All indicator lights are correct, green is on for power button and orange is on in power indicator. Once I plug back in power button and remotes all work fine.
I was wondering if either in my resetting all of my picture adjustments I may have enabled or disabled something or if I might have done something while in the PJ that has caused this.
I'm planning on upgrading next year to the new Benq 4k if it gets good reviews and I can live with this issue until then.
Anyone have any ideas? Should I try a hard reset? Hate to go thru all of the settings again but will if it will fix issue.
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I was able to take the time to deep dive this weekend and found in the service menu Auto-On was set to On. Changed that to off and now everything works as intended.
Iron Maiden likes this.

Last edited by DaDaddy; 12-03-2018 at 06:33 AM.
post #342 of 351 Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My mount failed and my 1085ST fell to the ground. The focus ring detached because of broken mounting plastic on the projector lens.

Does anyone know the part number for the lens assembly for the 1085ST or have any links to where I can purchase one? TIA
post #343 of 351 Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Where is everyone buying replacement bulbs? Have an HT1075 I bought in Dec 2014. Still going strong. Been a while since I've looked at the hours on the original bulb but think I'm in the 400-500hr range right now. Curious what kind of years/hours other have got out of their bulbs and where to get a good replacement? May buy one to have here as backup.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #344 of 351 Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbill View Post
My mount failed and my 1085ST fell to the ground. The focus ring detached because of broken mounting plastic on the projector lens.

Does anyone know the part number for the lens assembly for the 1085ST or have any links to where I can purchase one? TIA

Wow.....the mount you were using failed to hold a 5.2 lb PJ ? Gotta be a reason for that......(<<<$?) Was it one of the small, inexpensive Triangle Base units that use a Gimbal Ball? Or did it come loose from the Ceiling?

In any case, if the only damage done was to the Focus Ring I'd find that pretty incredible.

It would be even more incredible if you could locate anyplace to purchase BenQ parts directly. At best you could send it in to BenQ for repair....but as to if that would be cost effective is problematical at best.

https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/d...st/manual.html

https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/downloads-faq.html

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #345 of 351 Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Let there be Light............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Where is everyone buying replacement bulbs? Have an HT1075 I bought in Dec 2014. Still going strong. Been a while since I've looked at the hours on the original bulb but think I'm in the 400-500hr range right now. Curious what kind of years/hours other have got out of their bulbs and where to get a good replacement? May buy one to have here as backup.

A dependable source for a 180 Day Warrantied Lamp is:
https://www.purelandsupply.com/benq-...mp_ht1075.html

If you do get one, replace the current working Lamp and use it while it is under warranty...until it dies.

You can find what I call Super Bowl Lamps, (...if a lamp is gonna fail,it does it the day before a Big Game).....inexpensive 90 Day to 120 Day Lamps at these locations:

https://www.projectorlampsusa.com/be...waAtP3EALw_wcB

https://projectorquest.com/product/b...0Lamp%20Module
Iron Maiden likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #346 of 351 Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Wow.....the mount you were using failed to hold a 5.2 lb PJ ? Gotta be a reason for that......(<<<$?) Was it one of the small, inexpensive Triangle Base units that use a Gimbal Ball? Or did it come loose from the Ceiling?

In any case, if the only damage done was to the Focus Ring I'd find that pretty incredible.

It would be even more incredible if you could locate anyplace to purchase BenQ parts directly. At best you could send it in to BenQ for repair....but as to if that would be cost effective is problematical at best.

Yup, cheap mount, lesson learned! The push bolts on the projector mounting plate that click into the ceiling mount gave way. I figure the projector is probably done, but was curious if there was a reasonably priced replacement lens assembly, then I could see what else was wrong with it.

Thanks for the links, I emailed BenQ and they said they can get a parts list for me once I provide them a S/N. Like you said, I doubt it will be cost effective directly from BenQ, and most likely it'll be smarter to move on to another projector.
post #347 of 351 Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbill View Post

For reference if anyone needs it in the future. The part number for a lens assembly for an HT1085ST is 6E.J9J03.001 and is $119.48 direct from BenQ.
post #348 of 351 Old 02-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
A dependable source for a 180 Day Warrantied Lamp is:
https://www.purelandsupply.com/benq-...mp_ht1075.html

If you do get one, replace the current working Lamp and use it while it is under warranty...until it dies.

You can find what I call Super Bowl Lamps, (...if a lamp is gonna fail,it does it the day before a Big Game).....inexpensive 90 Day to 120 Day Lamps at these locations:

https://www.projectorlampsusa.com/be...waAtP3EALw_wcB

https://projectorquest.com/product/b...0Lamp%20Module
Odd, they list it as an LCD projector. These are DLP, correct? Dark Chip 2 or something like that.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #349 of 351 Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 1085st that has been going strong for about 3 years, mostly kids playing fortnite so it gets a lot of love. Bulb blew several weeks ago, cleaned out all the glass and replaced it with an ebay purchase that I am as confident as I will ever be is not a knockoff. That one lasted about 3 weeks until the projector wouldnt start with a red lamp light. Bulb appeared physically fine though, so seller quick-shipped a replacement. That one works intermittently. It will start with a blinking red light, but after a few minutes works fine. Do I have a projector problem as opposed to a bulb problem?

I love this projector as it gives a perfect picture and its size and short throw allow me to make it invisible inside a drywall box next to a A/C duct on the basement ceiling. Ambient temp in there gets to the low 60s Fahrenheit with AC running (yes, I probably have leaky AC), and the 1085 blows the hot air out the unobstructed front, so Im assuming heat is not the issue.
post #350 of 351 Old 01-10-2020, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
So I shouldn't run JVC firmware on my W1070 to get better black levels?
what do you mean "JVC" firmware?
post #351 of 351 Old 02-29-2020, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bought used HT1085ST. And something wrong. It throws light around picture border. So I thought it’s dusty and needs to be cleaned. Fully disassembled and cleaned everything inside. No difference, all wall around picture highlighted. Impossible to watch anything. Please help. Lamp OEM and can lamp be a reason for this issue? Or it’s lens? Shadow from my fingers on the wall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CE760D3-1A41-4458-AD7F-FE6FBB86DC44_1583037760937.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2691772  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page