Benq HT1075 and HT1085ST - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #181 of 349 Old 04-14-2015, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Well I just got my 1075 set up on the existing mount, and I really have to say that the picture is significantly better than the old Epson 8100. Sharper, brighter, better with motion and the fan isn't an issue thus far. At this price it's a benchmark! I had to modify my mount to accommodate this tiny little light cannon, and where the lens center was 7 3/4 off the ceiling, now it's 5 1/4". I can drop my fixed screen 2 inches tomorrow and we'll see where I end up, I may have to move my mount forward a few inches, employing toggle bolts into the drywall instead of finding the next joist. The projector is so light, but it might be a little risky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 349 Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone have the optimal settings for HT1075 ? Is there any specific setting to tweak to make the image better than the setting out-of-the-box ?
post #183 of 349 Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just hooked up my ht 1075. I'm having problems with my 40ft HDMI redmere. Any recommendations for HDMI cable 25+ long. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 349 Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcrusader View Post
Just hooked up my ht 1075. I'm having problems with my 40ft HDMI redmere. Any recommendations for HDMI cable 25+ long. Thank you
What kind of problems?

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #185 of 349 Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcrusader View Post
Often, longer, high quality HDMI cords are directional in nature. And this can be easily overlooked. Search on each end for a "Display" & "Source" logo or directional Arrow. Hopefully it was not simply marked with a Tag on each end that is too easily dis-guarded.

Redmere Cords are usually exempt from such issues (within reason) so I'd look for the problem elsewhere before going with another Cord.

The only other thing that can easily affect a Cords performance is a poor fit into a HDMI port. Either a too loose fit...one that suffers from tension, or when it was inserted improperly and a conductor gets bent. There are fully 19 separate conducting/connecting pins, so it doesn't take much buggering to mess up a video signal, prevent audio transmission, or cause a device to not see the HDCP compliance..

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #186 of 349 Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Often, longer, high quality HDMI cords are directional in nature. And this can be easily overlooked. Search on each end for a "Display" & "Source" logo or directional Arrow. Hopefully it was not simply marked with a Tag on each end that is too easily dis-guarded.

Redmere Cords are usually exempt from such issues (within reason) so I'd look for the problem elsewhere before going with another Cord.

The only other thing that can easily affect a Cords performance is a poor fit into a HDMI port. Either a too loose fit...one that suffers from tension, or when it was inserted improperly and a conductor gets bent. There are fully 19 separate conducting/connecting pins, so it doesn't take much buggering to mess up a video signal, prevent audio transmission, or cause a device to not see the HDCP compliance..
Thanks for your reply. But I made sure the display and source are connected properly.
post #187 of 349 Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
What kind of problems are you experiencing? I'm using a 30' Redmere cable.

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #188 of 349 Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ugh, just got the dreaded double red lights on my HT1075. Support had me unplug everything, remove the lamp for 5 minutes and then put it all back. Then I had to reset all the settings, still no dice.

They set me up with an RMA, so I am shipping it to them tomorrow. Hopefully they will get it turned around quickly.

This PJ is only ~4 months old, I am super disappointed it broke down so quickly. Making me wish I had gotten that Squaretrade warranty on it...
post #189 of 349 Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wanted to share this link I found on Calibrating the Benq HT-1075 for Cinema Mode. I raised contrast to 46 during some room light and changed from Economy to Smart Eco. Pics very natural and seemed to increase blacks somewhat. Enjoy...

http://cdn.soundandvision.com/conten...eview-settings

Here they are copy/pasted
Picture Mode Cinema
Brightness 50
Contrast 25
Color 54
Tint N/A (control grayed out)
Sharpness 0
Color Temperature Normal
Lamp Power Economic
Advanced
Black Level N/A (control grayed out)
Gamma Selection 2.4
Brilliant Color On
Color Temperature Fine Tuning

R G B
Gain: 100 100 100
Offset: 256 257 262
Color Management System

Hue Saturation Gain
Red 46 49 71
Green 66 60 36
Blue 50 50 57
Cyan 75 50 53
Magenta 73 50 66
Yellow 30 47 54
Noise Reduction 0
Film Mode N/A (control grayed out)
Aspect Ratio Auto
Image Position N/A (control grayed out)
Overscan Adjustment 0
3D As needed
Menu Type Advanced
HDMI CEC Off
post #190 of 349 Old 06-28-2015, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantamancave View Post
Anyone else having issue with a green flicker at times while viewing? No matter the source, I have all routed through my receiver with a single HDMI out. This has been up for a few weeks and I have only noticed it in the past week or so. Was just looking for others experience with this.
I have the same problem so I am returning mine. I have tried moving the HDMI to the other port on the projector, changed devices being used and a different HDMI cable but still have the flicker from time to time. I can plug in my old projector via the same devices and HDMI cable and do not have any issues.

Firmware: 1.04
Build Date: April 2015

Last edited by Jordhan; 06-28-2015 at 06:19 AM.
post #191 of 349 Old 06-28-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone. New BenQ 1085ST owner here. Love the PQ of the projector and I have it paired with a 125" Elite Screens Spectrum projection screen. However, I've discovered that every time I restart the projector, the zoom and alignment keep resetting in such a way that the test pattern "spills off" the edges of the screen and is no longer aligned correctly on the sides. Originally, I thought my AV receiver was somehow screwing up the zoom, but after re-aligning everything, keeping the AV receiver OFF and restarting the projector, it once again reverted to the same over-zoomed, misaligned image.

Any ideas why this might be happening? It's going to be extremely annoying if I have to manually realign the picture every time I start up the projector again.
post #192 of 349 Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Benq HT1075 and HT1085ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord View Post
Hi everyone. New BenQ 1085ST owner here. Love the PQ of the projector and I have it paired with a 125" Elite Screens Spectrum projection screen. However, I've discovered that every time I restart the projector, the zoom and alignment keep resetting in such a way that the test pattern "spills off" the edges of the screen and is no longer aligned correctly on the sides. Originally, I thought my AV receiver was somehow screwing up the zoom, but after re-aligning everything, keeping the AV receiver OFF and restarting the projector, it once again reverted to the same over-zoomed, misaligned image.

Any ideas why this might be happening? It's going to be extremely annoying if I have to manually realign the picture every time I start up the projector again.

How are you aligning the image?

Are you using digital zoom rather than optical zoom? (And when testing without the receiver, are you completely removing it from the HDMI chain?)

For positioning the image on the screen, you need to place the projector where only the physical Zoom lever and Focus ring on the projector itself (and lens shift screw on the 1075) are all you use to position the image. Otherwise you're losing resolution (and I don't believe digital zoom adjustment settings are saved between power cycles). If that's already the case I wonder if zoom could be drifting? (Haven't heard of that happening on this unit before, though)

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-28-2015 at 07:05 PM.
post #193 of 349 Old 06-28-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Are you using digital zoom rather than optical zoom?

For positioning the image on the screen, you need to place the projector where only the physical Zoom lever and Focus ring on the projector itself (and lens shift screw) are all you use to position the image. Otherwise you're losing resolution (and I don't believe digital zoom adjustment settings are saved between power cycles). If that's already the case I wonder if zoom could be drifting? (Haven't heard of that happening on this unit before, though)
Yep, I'm only using the zoom lever on the projector. I wasn't even aware this model had a digital zoom option.

One thing I was just thinking was: I believe my Denon S900W's video conversion function is set to "On," and I have HDMI pass-through also set to "On." I wasn't running any other components when I tested the projector a few minutes ago, though. Could the video conversion somehow be affecting the zoom while HDMI pass-through is enabled?

When I tested my projector for the first time a few weeks ago, before my home theater build was finished, I had a Chromecast plugged directly into one of the projector's HDMI ports. I don't remember this happening back then.

I'll keep investigating but any other advice would be welcome.
post #194 of 349 Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Benq HT1075 and HT1085ST

Test with the receiver completely out of the equation (ie, just source device to projector) and see if it's perhaps doing unwanted image processing/scaling that doesn't happen with it completely out of the loop...

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
post #195 of 349 Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Test with the receiver completely out of the equation (ie, just source device to projector) and see if it's perhaps doing unwanted image processing/scaling that doesn't happen with it completely out of the loop...

After spending a couple hours Sunday afternoon testing with and without sources connected to the projector, I determined that the issue was with the projector itself. It was still resetting to an "overzoomed" image every time I restarted it, even with nothing connected to the projector.

So I called BenQ tech support and explained the issue. The guy on the other end was familiar with this issue, and said it had to do with a small batch of projectors (both 1075 and 1085) that wouldn't retain the keystone settings upon restart. He said it required a firmware update, except I can't install it myself since BenQ doesn't allow that. I have to ship my projector back to them so their technicians can install it.

I was like, "Well that's incredibly inconvenient." I asked him why my recently-bought projector didn't have the latest firmware on it and he didn't have an answer.

I'm still a little perplexed at why the keystone would screw up the zoom, though. They're two different things. At any rate, they've created an RMA and are giving me free overnight shipping both ways, so I guess I have no choice but to send it back to them for the update. Hopefully they'll have it back in time for the July 4th holiday.
post #196 of 349 Old 07-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordhan View Post
I have the same problem so I am returning mine. I have tried moving the HDMI to the other port on the projector, changed devices being used and a different HDMI cable but still have the flicker from time to time. I can plug in my old projector via the same devices and HDMI cable and do not have any issues.

Firmware: 1.04

Picked up a new ht1075 today and so far I don't notice any green flicker. It has the same build date but a newer firmware.

Firmware: 1.05
post #197 of 349 Old 07-08-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
How did the process go for the return under green flicker issue? If painless and seamless I will bite the bullet and pull mine down. I just don't want to go through remount and adjusting all over again.
post #198 of 349 Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
upgrade from w1100?

I've enjoyed a w1100 for 4.5 years now, at 3700 hours on the original lamp it's time to make the replace/upgrade decision. There's a localized aberration/flicker now, and I assume is the lamp dying.

The cost of a new W1075 is close enough to a new bulb that I can afford it, but I'd notice the difference in my wallet. So while I'm sure a spec sheet will say contrast is improved, has anyone upgraded, or can you comment on the practical picture benefits?

I can be happy with this projector for another 3 years in the hopes of a bigger upgrade later. What I'm looking for is a comment in terms of the very routine viewing situations. I do notice some "black crush", but I'm the only one who does and it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of family movie nights. Most viewing is under some light conditions, with about 25% with very low lights.
post #199 of 349 Old 07-21-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I recently installed a 1085ST and I'm very happy with it. The only issue which I haven't seen anyone else mention is the fan noise. No clanking or anything, just the constant blowing is louder then I expected, can't hear it during most scenes but quiet or dialogue scenes it is pretty noticeable . Normal?

I'm in a smaller room in Phoenix so its not always the coolest in there anyway, but the PJ blowing additional hot air is making it worse. Thanks.
post #200 of 349 Old 07-26-2015, 07:01 PM

Liked: 12
I'm looking at the HT1075 for my family room home theatre setup. I'm confused on Projection Offset of this device.

What I want to know is what kind of Vertical offset the device is capable of. Specs are indicating 110-130% the way i'm reading it.

Click on Reference Guide

The way I understand Vertical Offset is that 100% vertical offset allows you to place the Projector above your screen up to 50% the height of your screen (projector placed dead center is 0% offset, top of screen 50% offset, above screen is 50% or more offset).

So for a 100" diagnoal screen, 49" H, a Projector with Vertical Offset of 100% would allow you to place the projector 24.5" above your screen.

I don't think the HT1075 actually allows for even 100% vertical offset. let alone 130%, it appears more like 65% or so capability from the manual.
post #201 of 349 Old 07-27-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essense View Post
I'm looking at the HT1075 for my family room home theatre setup. I'm confused on Projection Offset of this device.

What I want to know is what kind of Vertical offset the device is capable of. Specs are indicating 110-130% the way i'm reading it.

Click on Reference Guide

The way I understand Vertical Offset is that 100% vertical offset allows you to place the Projector above your screen up to 50% the height of your screen (projector placed dead center is 0% offset, top of screen 50% offset, above screen is 50% or more offset).

So for a 100" diagnoal screen, 49" H, a Projector with Vertical Offset of 100% would allow you to place the projector 24.5" above your screen.

I don't think the HT1075 actually allows for even 100% vertical offset. let alone 130%, it appears more like 65% or so capability from the manual.
Different manufacturers and even sometimes different models by the same brand will write their offset specs differently, so it can get pretty confusing.

I the w1070/1075's case, offset is above or below the screen by 5%-15% of the screen's height (assuming 16:9, always).
So a 48-49"-tall screen will have the projector's len's center at 3"-7" above the screen or anywhere between 3-7inches.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #202 of 349 Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbar911 View Post
I recently installed a 1085ST and I'm very happy with it. The only issue which I haven't seen anyone else mention is the fan noise. No clanking or anything, just the constant blowing is louder then I expected, can't hear it during most scenes but quiet or dialogue scenes it is pretty noticeable . Normal?

I'm in a smaller room in Phoenix so its not always the coolest in there anyway, but the PJ blowing additional hot air is making it worse. Thanks.
Which mode do you use it? Economy, Smart Eco or Normal? Many says eco is very silent. And how many meters away is the projector from the place you watch movies?

This is quite intresting projector for living room use. I could put it in small table near the screen/wall. Super easy to setup..

Owners, please talk about the noise in different modes (Eco/Smart Eco) and how many meters away it is from the sofa? As i earlier made thread about quiet projector, it seems that hush box or Sony HW40ES is the only way to go. It is sad situation with these projectors. We are at 2015 and still they sound like a vacuum cleaners.

Only couple of months and new model is coming (W1110), maybe more silent? No word on new short throw model tho.
post #203 of 349 Old 07-31-2015, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
Which mode do you use it? Economy, Smart Eco or Normal? Many says eco is very silent. And how many meters away is the projector from the place you watch movies?

This is quite intresting projector for living room use. I could put it in small table near the screen/wall. Super easy to setup..

Owners, please talk about the noise in different modes (Eco/Smart Eco) and how many meters away it is from the sofa? As i earlier made thread about quiet projector, it seems that hush box or Sony HW40ES is the only way to go. It is sad situation with these projectors. We are at 2015 and still they sound like a vacuum cleaners.

Only couple of months and new model is coming (W1110), maybe more silent? No word on new short throw model tho.
Anyone?
post #204 of 349 Old 08-01-2015, 12:06 PM

My HT1075 just got the fan controller error for the second time in less than 9 months. It has been extremely frustrating to have it break so frequently...now I get to do the RMA juggle with support yet again and wait for it to get repaired again. I doubt I'll be buying a BenQ in the future.
post #205 of 349 Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Dear all,

Is the latest firmware is ver. 1.05? Mine is ver. 1.02, I noted that the R.G.B. gains adjustment did not take effect but the R.G.B. offset also affect the high APL, on the other word, it only have one point R.G.B. control.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #206 of 349 Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Hello Everyone,

Now planning to order my very first projector directly from amazon by the end of this month. Please tell me 1075HT or 1085ST comes with latest firmware or I need to get it update after shipment from benq ?

My room size is 15X12 please suggest me which model to buy need a screen size about 150'' from about 13 - 14 feet away from the screen.
post #207 of 349 Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsonot View Post
I've enjoyed a w1100 for 4.5 years now, at 3700 hours on the original lamp it's time to make the replace/upgrade decision. There's a localized aberration/flicker now, and I assume is the lamp dying.

The cost of a new W1075 is close enough to a new bulb that I can afford it, but I'd notice the difference in my wallet. So while I'm sure a spec sheet will say contrast is improved, has anyone upgraded, or can you comment on the practical picture benefits?

I can be happy with this projector for another 3 years in the hopes of a bigger upgrade later. What I'm looking for is a comment in terms of the very routine viewing situations. I do notice some "black crush", but I'm the only one who does and it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of family movie nights. Most viewing is under some light conditions, with about 25% with very low lights.
The newer Benq will give an increase in brightness and contrast, but very small for both I'd say..the possibly more noticeable difference would be the better out-of-box calibration which can help maximize contrast and brightness as well as showing particularly pleasant colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbar911 View Post

That sounds normal for Smart-Eco or Full-lamp while you may find Eco (plain eco) to be more to your liking for quieter movies.
It's pretty normal for smaller projectors like this, especially ones using such a powerful lamp.
alsonot likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #208 of 349 Old 08-24-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman View Post
Hello Everyone,

Now planning to order my very first projector directly from amazon by the end of this month. Please tell me 1075HT or 1085ST comes with latest firmware or I need to get it update after shipment from benq ?

My room size is 15X12 please suggest me which model to buy need a screen size about 150'' from about 13 - 14 feet away from the screen.
They'll usually ship with the latest firmware UNLESS there's been a fairly recently update.

The 1075 can fill 150" inside a 13.5-14ft-long room...13ft might be pressing your luck if that's 13ft wall-to-wall.
Get the 1075 if you can fit it..only get the 1085 if you truly need the shorter throw because it'll be harder to work with (placing the 1085 is more tricky and it's more picky about wrinkles/waves and overly high gain for screens).

post #209 of 349 Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
They'll usually ship with the latest firmware UNLESS there's been a fairly recently update.

The 1075 can fill 150" inside a 13.5-14ft-long room...13ft might be pressing your luck if that's 13ft wall-to-wall.
Get the 1075 if you can fit it..only get the 1085 if you truly need the shorter throw because it'll be harder to work with (placing the 1085 is more tricky and it's more picky about wrinkles/waves and overly high gain for screens).

Thanks buddy
So its 1075 I have now finalized. Will update once I place my order. Whats the latest firmware comes with it ?
I am worried because read some keystone correction settings gets reset when PJ is turned off
post #210 of 349 Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should try not to use any keystone if at all possible because it degrades the image (mostly clarity).
Without using keystone, you can still have the projector about 4"-10" above the screen or anywhere between 4-10inches...just make sure to mount it with the lens centered left/right and 4-10inches (aim for 7 to be safe) above the screen and you'll be perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page