Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 117 Old 10-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
3D?
Sorry - I'm not into 3D and I don't have the glasses or the emitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 552
How well does the PureMotion feature work on hockey?
post #33 of 117 Old 10-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 99
How well would this projector do sitting on the floor in front of my toilet projecting on the bathroom wall while I do my 2 nights of colonoscopy prep? I'll be sitting for at least 7 or 8 hours! I hear that Jeff Foxworthy is pretty funny on youtube and helps pass the time and other things!

I not into 3d either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 117 Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Two nights? That's a lot of Fleet.

My condolences.

(A projector might help, though....)
post #35 of 117 Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM

To be honest, it really doesn't make much difference (I leave it off). Motion is smooth with or w/out it on. I think b/c the projector handles motion so well, Pure Motion doesn't have much of an effect when watching sports. It really only shows itself when watching TV/Movies - giving the Soap Opera affect...and causing audio/video to be out-of-sync. My HD33 is the same way - Pure Motion for sports isn't making any difference since motion is already handled quite nicely.
post #36 of 117 Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 PM

HD161X or HT1075?

At this point I'm leaning toward the HT1075. I'll be using whatever unit I decide to keep, outside in the summer. I plan to compare the two projectors in the backyard this week on a 130" outdoor screen. If the shorter throw Benq can handle that screen size OK, I think it'll come out on top.
post #37 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Our review about the HD161X (HD50) is now online :

https://translate.google.fr/translat...%2F&edit-text=
kreeturez likes this.
post #38 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thanks kraine for the link. Any information about color wheel speed?
post #39 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
Our review about the HD161X (HD50) is now online :

https://translate.google.fr/translat...%2F&edit-text=
Very nice. Sounds like a winner I have been very happy with my 131x, it has been going strong for a year and the RF 3D glasses are a nice step up over DLPLink IMHO.
post #40 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Very nice. Sounds like a winner I have been very happy with my 131x, it has been going strong for a year and the RF 3D glasses are a nice step up over DLPLink IMHO.
color Wheel is 4X

sounds like a winner?

but if in the commnents Worf said that he prefer the Benq 1070
post #41 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legn View Post
color Wheel is 4X

sounds like a winner?

Nope I prefer now the HD161X
post #42 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legn View Post
color Wheel is 4X

sounds like a winner?

I don't think you actually read Kraine's review. I was referring to his review (which I read) when I said "sounds like a winner". You have to remember the price points of these projectors. Kraine has been spot on for me over the years, I prefer his reviews to some of the other popular review sites.

Last edited by ack_bk; 10-11-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #43 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Optoma HD161x or BenQ HT1075/W1070 ?

I have auditioned all three projectors. All three provide great images and just about anyone would be happy with either of the three provided the throw distances were accommodating. I found the BenQ HT1075 brighter than both the W1070 and HD161X but PQ is great for all of them. Both BenQ units are more user friendly with respect to achieving accurate colour. If you plan to view in a room with any amount of ambient light, the HT1075 is the way to go. For movies, I have a light controlled room and my Optoma HD33 suites me fine. For regular TV viewing with enough ambient light to read a newspaper, I plan to go with the HT1075. The one put-off with respect to the HD161X, is the fact that here in Canada, it's at least $150 more than in the U.S.. I'm a little tired of having to pay more here, especially when there's absolutely no economic reason for the price difference.
post #44 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Nope I prefer now the HD161X
Very cool; looks like Optoma have delivered here! Solid review there, kraine.

The only minor niggle is that there's still chromatic aberration on what's marketed as a higher-end lens system; but truthfully, CA goes unnoticed in most regular viewing in any case so it doesn't really matter.

I've been considering a second projection setup in my house (and need a longer throw for that room than my current W1070 - which I'm still very happy with) and this Optoma looks like a very good option. I suspect the throw ratio will suit many others as well; and it's a smart move on Optoma's part since BenQ lacks similar-throw options in their new lineup. Even the older W1300/W1500 were pretty hard to get hold of in many regions.

I was actually pretty excited even back when the HD50 was first announced.

My only hold-off at the moment is price. Both BenQ's new HT1075 and this Optoma seem a bit expensive (depending on the region) at the moment. In the former case, it doesn't matter as much since the older W1070 is still available very cheap and in practice, is very similar to its successor. Amazon.fr for instance lists the W1070 at around €700; the HT1075 (W1070+) at around €800; and this Optoma at around €1100. That seems like quite a big difference: and since the HT1075 barely improves on it's predecessor, I'd basically be looking at spending an extra €400 (more than 50%) on the Optoma over the W1070...? Is this Optoma set to decrease in price in the near-future?

Could you also elaborate on some of the reasons why you're prefer it to the BenQ? Maybe the price difference is worth it! (Also I don't see it in that review: is there an Audio out jack anywhere on the HD161X for use with temporary speakers?)

Thanks for your awesome reviews, as always, kraine.

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
post #45 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Very cool; looks like Optoma have delivered here! Solid review there, kraine.

The only minor niggle is that there's still chromatic aberration on what's marketed as a higher-end lens system; but truthfully, CA goes unnoticed in most regular viewing in any case so it doesn't really matter.

I've been considering a second projection setup in my house (and need a longer throw for that room than my current W1070 - which I'm still very happy with) and this Optoma looks like a very good option. I suspect the throw ratio will suit many others as well; and it's a smart move on Optoma's part since BenQ lacks similar-throw options in their new lineup. Even the older W1300/W1500 were pretty hard to get hold of in many regions.

I was actually pretty excited even back when the HD50 was first announced.

My only hold-off at the moment is price. Both BenQ's new HT1075 and this Optoma seem a bit expensive (depending on the region) at the moment. In the former case, it doesn't matter as much since the older W1070 is still available very cheap and in practice, is very similar to its successor. Amazon.fr for instance lists the W1070 at around €700; the HT1075 (W1070+) at around €800; and this Optoma at around €1100. That seems like quite a big difference: and since the HT1075 barely improves on it's predecessor, I'd basically be looking at spending an extra €400 (more than 50%) on the Optoma over the W1070...? Is this Optoma set to decrease in price in the near-future?

Could you also elaborate on some of the reasons why you're prefer it to the BenQ? Maybe the price difference is worth it! (Also I don't see it in that review: is there an Audio out jack anywhere on the HD161X for use with temporary speakers?)

Do you do a lot of 3D? If so, the RF on the Optoma may be worth the price jump for 3D alone.
post #46 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you do a lot of 3D? If so, the RF on the Optoma may be worth the price jump for 3D alone.
Barely: though I did experiment with a bunch of DLP-Link glasses and eventually settled on 3DActive's that were both cheap and looked fantastic. Some of the glasses I tried were rubbish, though. Interesting how some glasses performed amazingly and others were terrible. With good glasses, I'm pretty happy with DLP-Link on the BenQ; 3D looks great.

But I do say this all the time as well: it was still foolish of BenQ not to include RF (if not a built-in transmitter than at least a VESA port!) on their new models: even on a spec-sheet, that's an upgrade - and could've been a motivator for the HT1075 over the W1070 had it been included. Not a deal-breaker for me at present, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesy View Post
I have auditioned all three projectors. All three provide great images and just about anyone would be happy with either of the three provided the throw distances were accommodating. I found the BenQ HT1075 brighter than both the W1070 and HD161X but PQ is great for all of them. Both BenQ units are more user friendly with respect to achieving accurate colour. If you plan to view in a room with any amount of ambient light, the HT1075 is the way to go. For movies, I have a light controlled room and my Optoma HD33 suites me fine. For regular TV viewing with enough ambient light to read a newspaper, I plan to go with the HT1075. The one put-off with respect to the HD161X, is the fact that here in Canada, it's at least $150 more than in the U.S.. I'm a little tired of having to pay more here, especially when there's absolutely no economic reason for the price difference.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that price difference too. To go a bit OT: what were the big comparative differences (other than a bit more brightness) you found to sway you to the BenQ HT1075 over the W1070?

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Last edited by kreeturez; 10-11-2014 at 02:30 PM.
post #47 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Barely: though I did experiment with a bunch of DLP-Link glasses and eventually settled on 3DActive's that were both cheap and looked fantastic. Some of the glasses I tried were rubbish, though. Interesting how some glasses performed amazingly and others were terrible. With good glasses, I'm pretty happy with DLP-Link on the BenQ; 3D looks great.

But I do say this all the time as well: it was still foolish of BenQ not to include RF (if not a built-in transmitter than at least a VESA port!) on their new models: even on a spec-sheet, that's an upgrade - and could've been a motivator for the HT1075 over the W1070 had it been included. Not a deal-breaker for me at present, though.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that price difference too.
100% agree, the glasses make a big difference for both DLPLink and RF. I did quite a bit of testing between RF and DLPLink (both technologies using some of the better performing glasses) and I found I preferred RF quite a bit more. For you, this does not seem like it would be worth it as much as it was for me (I basically always buy the 3D version of a movie if it is available).

That's why I asked
kreeturez likes this.
post #48 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Pricing usually comes down pretty quick on Optoma/BenQ newer models once they are released. With Nov-Jan sales fast approaching (at least here in the US) it may be worth waiting a month or two if you can hold out.
post #49 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
100% agree, the glasses make a big difference for both DLPLink and RF. I did quite a bit of testing between RF and DLPLink (both technologies using some of the better performing glasses) and I found I preferred RF quite a bit more. For you, this does not seem like it would be worth it as much as it was for me (I basically always buy the 3D version of a movie if it is available).

That's why I asked
Well let's just be honest: transmitting a 3D-Synchronization signal to glasses makes a whole lot more sense done over invisible, imperceivable radio transmission than it does by alternating red flashes of light on the display every odd frame, doesn't it!

Quote:
Pricing usually comes down pretty quick on Optoma/BenQ newer models once they are released. With Nov-Jan sales fast approaching (at least here in the US) it may be worth waiting a month or two if you can hold out.
Yeah agreed, might be worth waiting it out to see for certain. Might be able to avoid early-adoption fees if applicable here!

post #50 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Side-by-side the PQ on the HT1075 and the HD161X were almost identical. I did find the colouration on the HT1075 a little more natural and easier to achieve.
Ultimately, it was a tough decision but the added brightness and lower price (difference of $449 here in Canada) were the driving factors for deciding on the BenQ. Side-by-side, my Optoma HD33 kicks out a brightness level just shy of the HD161X so the brighter BenQ is a bonus for watching regular TV w/ ambient light in the room . Go figure, just after auditioning these projectors, my HD33 malfunctioned (colour wheel issue I think - a faded black/white image). Thankfully it's still under warranty. I'll be shipping it off to Optoma this week. If the HD161X were as bright as the BenQ, I may have overlooked the price difference.
kreeturez likes this.
post #51 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Side-by-side the PQ on the HT1075 and the HD161X were almost identical. I did find the colouration on the HT1075 a little more natural and easier to achieve.
Ultimately, it was a tough decision but the added brightness and lower price (difference of $449 here in Canada) were the driving factors for deciding on the BenQ. Side-by-side, my Optoma HD33 kicks out a brightness level just shy of the HD161X so the brighter BenQ is a bonus for watching regular TV w/ ambient light in the room . Go figure, just after auditioning these projectors, my HD33 malfunctioned (colour wheel issue I think - a faded black/white image). Thankfully it's still under warranty. I'll be shipping it off to Optoma this week. If the HD161X were as bright as the BenQ, I may have overlooked the price difference.
Yeah, that's a pretty big price difference.
post #52 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 05:16 PM

Optoma HD161X / BenQ HT1075

You've got me thinking I should perhaps return my projector and wait a month or so for a possible price drop. Unfortunately, we don't see the terrific sale prices here this time of year like you see in the U.S., but some stores are trying to compete in order to sway the cross-border shopping. I'll have to consider this.
post #53 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You've got me thinking I should perhaps return my projector and wait a month or so for a possible price drop. Unfortunately, we don't see the terrific sale prices here this time of year like you see in the U.S., but some stores are trying to compete in order to sway the cross-border shopping. I'll have to consider this.
Based on past release cycles, I foresee the HT1075 dropping to current-W1070 pricing as the W1070 gets phased out. In Canada, if that's a huge price difference (is it?), then returning may be worth considering. My (admittedly-OT) question about the comparison was actually between the two BenQ units you looked at (ie, what were the big differences that swayed you to the HT1075 over the W1070; other than bit of extra brightness?)

As for the Optomas: Optoma's HD26 competes price-wise with the W1070 (but is tough to recommend over Optoma's higher-end units due to color-wheel/lamp selection); their HD36 seems to compete more-or-less with the W1070+ (priced only marginally higher right now; which does offer a good color-wheel but has lamp that's possibly a bit too high-powered for it's own good as it's reported around here as a bit noisy); and then their even higher-end option is the HD50/HD161X.

I'm not sure if we can expect the HD50/HD161X to drop all that much lower, TBH - not unless Optoma tanks the price of the HD26 (to make it a option for buyers on a full-HD budget that's significantly tighter than the current price - and the W1070). This would allow for room for their two higher-end models to drop accordingly as well.
Actually, I think Optoma might do very well sales-wise if they did this since they'd take their competition out of the equation completely at the HD26's price tier...

post #54 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 PM

I received the Benq W1070 first. I was impressed by the PQ and the brightness. I expected the HT1075 to be of equal quality and brightness, even though it was rated at 2200 vs 2000 lumens. PQ was nearly exact but to my surprise, the HT1075 was noticeably brighter (not a lot but noticeable). Here in Canada the HT1075 is only $100-$150 more than the W1070. I figured the extra lumens (though modest), the wireless HDMI option and MHL was worth the price difference. I tried the Optoma HD26. The brightness was awesome but b/c of the colour wheel, I couldn't watch it for more than 15 min. without developing eyestrain (+headache). I was very disappointed b/c I liked the extra lumens and the PQ was pretty good. I contacted Optoma about the HD36 - it isn't available in Canada.
kreeturez likes this.
post #55 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Hd33 vs hd161 which is better picture quality wise and also pure motion does the 161 add the soap opera effect ( I like that effect ) which overall is the better projector thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #56 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 08:52 PM

I was planning to do an extensive side-by-side with the HD33 and HD161X but my HD33 malfunctioned. I did get in a short comparison. As far as motion smoothness, clarity, sharpness etc., the HD161X looks like a slightly brighter version of the HD33. Pure Motion does produce the soap opera effect on the HD161X. On my HD33 frame inter. sometimes causes some oddities with motion (little video glitches) and it throws audio/video out of sync. The only time I use it is when viewing some of my kids' animated/CGI movies. It gives them almost a 3D effect. The good news for the HD161X is that it doesn't appear to have any negative effects on video motion. It also puts audio/video out of sync, however. Both the HD33 and HD161X appear to have a good quality build to them; very solid units. I don't like the grid test pattern on the HD161X. The lines are green and never appear to be truly focused, even though the resulting image is bang on. I would say it's a toss-up between the HD33 and HD161X. As I said, the HD161X is merely brighter...as well as a few other bells and whistles.
post #57 of 117 Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi kreeturez,

There is no audio out take a look here :

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...8-1024x681.jpg

In comparaison with the BenQ W1070/W1070+ I prefer the Optoma for the following reasons :

- Overall picture quality (it's the main thing no ? )
- Build quality
- Frame Interpolation
- More discrete (noise)
- Settings
- 3D RF
post #58 of 117 Old 10-12-2014, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Hi kreeturez,

In comparaison with the BenQ W1070/W1070+ I prefer the Optoma for the following reasons :

- Build quality
- Frame Interpolation
- More discrete (noise)
- Settings
- 3D RF
In which area OPtoma is better than Benq in picture quality? I thought Benq is sharper, more color accurate, same native motion and better contrast
post #59 of 117 Old 10-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Interesting turn of events: The price of the HD161X (in Canada) just dropped by $250 for the next 2 weeks. This may force me to reconsider things????
post #60 of 117 Old 10-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hi kreeturez,

- Build quality
- Frame Interpolation
- More discrete (noise)
- Settings
- 3D RF
How's the brightness in 3D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page