No 5030UB replacement at CEDIA? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No 5030UB replacement at CEDIA?

I'm not sure if this has been covered anywhere else, but Epson Japan announced their fall lineup a few days ago, but there were only two new models. The 5030UB (EH-TW8200) remains top of the line with a firmware update expected in a few weeks to add some new features.

The new models are the EH-TW6600 and EH-TW530 which will both be available in Japan on September 11th, 2014.

It doesn't look like Epson is planning anything else for CEDIA 2014 except for maybe 4K. In the article they said that 4k is "coming soon" and that they will announce something, "soon." I don't know if that means CEDIA or not.

Here is the story from AV Impress:

http://m.av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...27_663796.html

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 08-31-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was hoping for a price drop on the 5030' but that does not look good now. Still a great pj for the money. Thanks
post #3 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post
I'm not sure if this has been covered anywhere else, but Epson Japan announced their fall lineup a few days ago, but there were only two new models. The 5030UB (EH-TW8200) remains top of the line with a firmware update expected in a few weeks to add some new features.

The new models are the EH-TW6600 and EH-TW530 which will both be available in Japan on September 11th, 2014.

It doesn't look like Epson is planning anything else for CEDIA 2014 except for maybe 4K. In the article they said that 4k is "coming soon" and that they will announce something, "soon." I don't know if that means CEDIA or not.

Here is the story from AV Impress:

http://m.av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...27_663796.html
Good find. Looks like a combination of the 8350/45 and the 3020. Doesn't look good for a 5030 replacement, but there's still two weeks to the CEDIA show. Let's hope there's still some surprises in store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My thinking is Epson has tweak enough to the 5030 to get all it can out of it' Pretty much top out. Reach the end of its life.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post
The 5030UB (EH-TW8200) remains top of the line with a firmware update expected in a few weeks to add some new features.
How do I check for the latest firmware? Is it user upgradable?
If only Epson add Anamorphic scaling options (as firmware upgrade) into the 5030/TW8200....it will be a super duper upgrade
post #6 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
How do I check for the latest firmware? Is it user upgradable?
If only Epson add Anamorphic scaling options (as firmware upgrade) into the 5030/TW8200....it will be a super duper upgrade
I'm not sure how to do the upgrade, but the article says it'll work on already delivered models as well. It must be user upgradable.

As for the upgrade itself, the article doesn't mention any details other than it'll incorporate some of the TW6600 features. I'm only guessing, but perhaps that means MHL connections over one of the HDMI inputs, wireless LAN adaptor support with iOS and Android "iprojection" apps. I wouldn't expect much more than that, but we will see.

Oh! I can't remember what Japanese site I read this on, but I did read somewhere that the TW6600 possibly has a new 3D convergence adjuster option to compliment the 3D depth functions. Maybe that will be in the firmware too?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I was thinking about buying a epson 5030UB.main reason it has everything i would need for my home theater setup.The only thing i would like to see maybe is more contrast.While it has a 600,000 to 1 contrast .That's a ton for a projector.I am glad it still has the 3D inside of it while i dont see myself useing the 3D all the time.It's good to have.I have so many 3D bluray's.That is would be worth it.I hope they drop the price tage if anything.It would be nice for maybe a 1,999 price tag if there not upgradeing it that much.I kinda feel the 2,499 or normal msrp price tage 2,599.99 is alot .But still it give's you so so much in the package it self.It still has THX Mode and it still has the 3D glasses inside the box at those glasses being 100 buck's a pop.Yeah the setup is worth more .
post #8 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
After playing around with a 5030 at B and H last week, i can say that the only tv that can beat the 5030's blacks was the LG OLed tv and maybe the Sony 4k tv. And even then you have to look real hard to pick one over the other. I know that the LG's black levels are infinite, but i can't see infinite black. However, i can see that all the LCD tvs on display take a back seat to the 5030.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like the V110 update is live on Epson Japan's page now, but details are sparse! It only says that you can enjoy a sharper image with the upgrade. I'm not sure if that means that they added settings or something, but I'll poke around and see if I can find the answer.

They also posted the upgrade method for those interested. The instructions are in Japanese and I'm only posting it because people seemed interested in how you would perform an update. Please wait for Epson to release information in your country or region before attempting to upgrade your firmware. I DO NOT recommend or take any responsibility whatsoever for anyone trying this, nor do I take any responsibility for any translation mistakes that I may have made.

Ok, then? Here is a quick rundown for those interested:

1) Download the firmware update to your Mac or PC, but DO NOT change the name once you have it.
2) Unplug the power cord from the back of the projector.
3) Plug your Mac or PC (that you downloaded the firmware update file to) into the service USB port on the projector. You will need a USB type-miniB cable.
4) Press and hold the projector power button and while holding it down, re-connect the power cable.
5) When the temp and lamp buttons light up, let go of the power button. The projector should mount as a removable disc named EPSON_PJ on your Mac or PC.
6) Copy the firmware file onto the mounted (and apparently empty) EPSON_PJ directory.
7) Check that the file appears inside the EPSON_PJ directory. If it looks good, eject (dismount) the EPSON_PJ disc from your Mac or PC.
8) With the projector still on, pull the USB cord (Warning: Be sure that the indicator lights aren't flashing when you pull the USB cable out. It could damage your projector.) and the update will begin after a few moments. The lights will then start blinking and when the update is finished, the projector will go to standby mode.
9) Now, just turn on the projector and check that the firmware version is V110.

I won't post the link to the firmware, but I will post the the original instructions in case you want to check my Japanese or see the illustrations. Here they are:

http://www.epson.jp/products/dreamio...are/update.pdf

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 09-01-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I was really hoping for a 5030 replacement this year.

Is anyone else on the thread wrestling with the 5030 vs the Sony VPL-HW40ES?

Gaming will be a major use for me and the Sony has less input lag, but the Epson has allegedly better 3D... Plus, it comes with RF glasses.

I'm upgrading from an Epson 8350 by the way, and while I am not bothered by the LCD "screen door" I do think I would enjoy life a bit more without it. I'm probably also used to mediocre black levels so blacks on either the Sony or the Epson 5030 would be an improvement.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
I was really hoping for a 5030 replacement this year.

Is anyone else on the thread wrestling with the 5030 vs the Sony VPL-HW40ES?

Gaming will be a major use for me and the Sony has less input lag, but the Epson has allegedly better 3D... Plus, it comes with RF glasses.

I'm upgrading from an Epson 8350 by the way, and while I am not bothered by the LCD "screen door" I do think I would enjoy life a bit more without it. I'm probably also used to mediocre black levels so blacks on either the Sony or the Epson 5030 would be an improvement.

Actually, I am too...

I owned a 5020UB and actually had a 5030UBe for a short time too!
It was a real bummer that nothing has replaced the 5030UBe so far.

I liked both of my Epson projectors, but my 5020UB had focus problems (it went out of focus) when it got hot and I thought my 5030UBe was awesome, but if I waited a year longer, a better 3D projector would emerge. I did have some ghosting issues, but in retrospect, it may not have been that bad...

I thought both were good for gaming and never really notice lag, but I was mostly playing things like racing games, fighting games and 3rd person action games. I don't really play 1st person games too often, but I know that lag is a consideration there.

The SONY looks nice and I'm thinking about it, but I was really impressed with the 5030UBe. It's 2D presentation was stunning! 3D looked pretty good too and for me, gaming was no problem. I'm a little upset to re-purchase a projector that I've already returned once. I might even consider the US equivalent of the EH-TW6600 until something really awesome comes out. It looks pretty nice and the price should be fairly low when it arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page