Epson 5030UB vs Sony VPL-HW40ES, anyone else wrestling? - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 221Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #331 of 1059 Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 PM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Isn't it also possible to add a filter if it is too bright? I'm really new to this stuff, but I think I've read you could add something to the lens to lower the light output.

Thanks for your feedback.
Yes. It is possible.
old corps and Crabalocker like this.
AMartin56 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 1059 Old 03-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
video1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NorCal Sierra Foothills
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am building a sound isolated and light controlled HT. Dimensions are 18 feet wide x 19 feet deep. My seating position will be 10 feet back from an acoustically transparent screI was originally going to get a 4k projector but seeing as the technology is still in its infancy and there is it dearth true source material at this point, I can't just can't see putting upwards of $10,000 or more into a projector at this time. so I am going to use a 1080p unit instead for the time being.

The Sony seems to be the unit I would prefer. My screen is going to be either 140 or 150 inches diagonal in preferably 2.35 conastant height. We watch movies vs tv about 50:50. Many will say 140-150" is too big for my seating position but tv is 16x9 so the image will be smaller. Besides, I normally sit at about 1/3 of the way back in movie theaters.

My only concern with the Sony is that it has no lens memory. Is there anything in the sub$5k range that offers the picture quality of the Sony (and the brightness) with lens memory? Am I crazy to go with such a big screen?
video1 is offline  
post #333 of 1059 Old 03-15-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horseflesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have the Sony and love the image quality, but its lens shift controls are klunky. If I had to readjust the shift settings every time I changed formats, I would go nuts. If all you need is zoom and focus, that's not bad.

However... I and others have noticed that the Sony focus drifts as the projector warms and cools. I feel like I need to let it run for 10 minutes before the focus drifts back into its correct position, assuming that I focussed it after it warmed up.
horseflesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #334 of 1059 Old 03-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Newbie
 
ninjaskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am also looking at these two projectors. It will go in a 16ft wide x 22ft deep family room where ambient light will be a problem during the day. The projector will come from the back of the room and shoot about 17 feet to a 147" Vutec screen (1.3 gain) which will drop down in front of my Pioneer Elite plasma hanging on the wall. The main seating area is about 15 feet from the screen. The primary use will be in the evening watching movies but I would also like to use it to watch sports on Sunday during the day. 3D is cool but not the priority and very little if any gaming. Like I said, lighting won't be optimal. Cream walls vaulted ceilings and light carpet. I will have black curtains behind the screen and the area separating the family room and kitchen.


Seems the Epson has better lens flexibility for my needs and a brighter image. Also better blacks.
I love Sony's build quality and it seems to have a sharper better overall picture. Thoughts......Thanks.
ninjaskins is offline  
post #335 of 1059 Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaskins View Post
I am also looking at these two projectors. It will go in a 16ft wide x 22ft deep family room where ambient light will be a problem during the day. The projector will come from the back of the room and shoot about 17 feet to a 147" Vutec screen (1.3 gain) which will drop down in front of my Pioneer Elite plasma hanging on the wall. The main seating area is about 15 feet from the screen. The primary use will be in the evening watching movies but I would also like to use it to watch sports on Sunday during the day. 3D is cool but not the priority and very little if any gaming. Like I said, lighting won't be optimal. Cream walls vaulted ceilings and light carpet. I will have black curtains behind the screen and the area separating the family room and kitchen.


Seems the Epson has better lens flexibility for my needs and a brighter image. Also better blacks.
I love Sony's build quality and it seems to have a sharper better overall picture. Thoughts......Thanks.
The Epson is only brighter when in its brighter modes which don't look very natural...they look like some of the other brighter settings you find on televisions...they just don't look good, IMO. The colours look off....over-cooked, skin tones don't look right and nothing looks balanced. This is what I find.

The HW40 on the other hand looks really good pumping out 1500+ lumens.

With your room not being optimal for a projector...the better blacks on the Epson won't be a factor.

If it were me I'd go with the Sony. I've owned two Epsons in the past and won't likely go with them again....but they are a decent projector as well, I just find the Sony is better.

You'll get varying opinions so I would make a plus/minus list and go from there.

Good luck.
Crabalocker is offline  
post #336 of 1059 Old 03-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Newbie
 
ninjaskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
The Epson is only brighter when in its brighter modes which don't look very natural...they look like some of the other brighter settings you find on televisions...they just don't look good, IMO. The colours look off....over-cooked, skin tones don't look right and nothing looks balanced. This is what I find.

The HW40 on the other hand looks really good pumping out 1500+ lumens.

With your room not being optimal for a projector...the better blacks on the Epson won't be a factor.

If it were me I'd go with the Sony. I've owned two Epsons in the past and won't likely go with them again....but they are a decent projector as well, I just find the Sony is better.

You'll get varying opinions so I would make a plus/minus list and go from there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I've been into Home Theater for many years but just learning about projectors. Yeah, I don't want a bad picture. I'm use to the quality of an Elite plasma. I know I won't get that with my room conditions but something respectable is a must.
ninjaskins is offline  
post #337 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
slarity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I have reached this conclusion now as well, 5030UB or Sony 40ES. I am upgrading from an Epson 6100. Just purchased an AE8000U and was incredibly disappointed.

The AE8000U had a weird tint issue that we had issues getting rid of. We minimized the problem but I don't think we completely got rid of it. The colors are almost too over saturated. They are great for animated movies but terrible on real movies. The black levels were disappointing, being only a little better than my Epson, and a considerable step down from the two other Epsons we directly compared it to (9500UB, 6030UB). The lens memory function worked perfectly. Had someone who owns a JVC and uses a CIH screen said he loved the way the AE8000U did lens memory. It was very quick switching between the two. So as I hinted to, we had an Oppo 105 driving two projectors at a time and ran a shootout between an Epson 6100, 9500UB, 6030UB, and the AE8000. Overall I am pleased to see my 6100 still has a great picture for a lower cost projector, the Epson UB projectors were just amazing PQ with very deep blacks that really made the screen pop, my particular AE8000U has issues with convergence/sharpness/over saturation that led me to really not enjoy it.

So now I am looking at the 5030 or Sony 40ES. Leaning towards the Sony due to the low input lag as I do game quiet often on the projector. However, tempted to go 5030UB and deal with the lag, or perhaps the lag isn't as bad as I think, simply because I know I absolutely love the PQ.
slarity is offline  
post #338 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
bucknuts07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm heavily leaning towards the Sony, assuming they get competitive and have another sale at 1999. The best modes are much brighter than the epson , which in my mind is huge as the bulb ages, and the sealed light path on the sony , means no dust blobs. I had an epson 8500 ub that i really liked, great black levels, but I sold after a few years, and thought a 55 inch tv in my basement would suffice. If it werent for the unsealed light path, i probably would have pulled the trigger on the 5025 this week at 1999 with 200 visa gift card, and free bulb. From all accounts its same projector as 5030 minus the glasses.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

 

PSN-bucknuts07

bucknuts07 is offline  
post #339 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SimpleTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I spent months wrestling with this issue and have come to the conclusion to simply wait. I was offered an amazing discount on the Sony, during the sale period, but the vertical shift just wasn't enough for my home theater. The second row of seats is on a riser, which would have put the Sony 6' 2" off the floor. Even though I could have put it behind the back row, the loss of light would have negated much of the benefits (projectorcentral calculator had it dropping to 12 ftL).

The Epson 5030 is a non-starter because of the color. I don't want a white projector hanging off a black ceiling in front of the viewers. Moving it behind the seats creates the same brightness issue as the Sony. Which left me looking at the 6030. The extra lamp and warranty was nice, but for $2,750 (almost twice the price I was offered the Sony HW40ES), the extra money just didn't seem worth the benefits.

So I'm waiting patiently for the 6030 to drop $1k or the next Sony to increase its vertical shift.

Somehow, no matter its problems, the Optoma HD81 is still chugging. And I really hate a lot of things about that projector (loud, connectivity issues, poor contrast, no 3D), but it is 10 years old now.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
SimpleTheater is offline  
post #340 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Epson 5030UB vs Sony VPL-HW40ES, anyone else wrestling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
I spent months wrestling with this issue and have come to the conclusion to simply wait. I was offered an amazing discount on the Sony, during the sale period, but the vertical shift just wasn't enough for my home theater. The second row of seats is on a riser, which would have put the Sony 6' 2" off the floor. Even though I could have put it behind the back row, the loss of light would have negated much of the benefits (projectorcentral calculator had it dropping to 12 ftL).

The ProjectorCentral brightness calculator is a bit pessimistic.

In real-world measurements, the Sony only drops about 10% of its brightness at maximum distance from the screen (compared to minimum distance):
http://www.projectorreviews.com/comp...-vpl-hw40es-1/

In practice, that makes mounting behind the back row very feasible (assuming you can hit your desired screen size from that distance.)

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
kreeturez is offline  
post #341 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Newbie
 
ninjaskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That's my main concern. 17ft throw to a 147 inch screen (in real-world conditions). Will the Sony do the job?
ninjaskins is offline  
post #342 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaskins View Post
That's my main concern. 17ft throw to a 147 inch screen (in real-world conditions). Will the Sony do the job?

It will.

You can hit 147" (diagonal) at any distance between 15ft and 23ft; so you're safe on both sides at 17ft.
ninjaskins likes this.

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
kreeturez is offline  
post #343 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
mine lights up a 153" screen from 17 feet away.
ninjaskins likes this.
Crabalocker is offline  
post #344 of 1059 Old 03-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Member
 
James of Az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Epson 3600e lights up great
My setup 148" x 72"

http://youtu.be/MZZMt_NlDIA
ninjaskins likes this.
James of Az is offline  
post #345 of 1059 Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
leadliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
The Epson is only brighter when in its brighter modes which don't look very natural...they look like some of the other brighter settings you find on televisions...they just don't look good, IMO. The colours look off....over-cooked, skin tones don't look right and nothing looks balanced. This is what I find.

The HW40 on the other hand looks really good pumping out 1500+ lumens.

With your room not being optimal for a projector...the better blacks on the Epson won't be a factor.

If it were me I'd go with the Sony. I've owned two Epsons in the past and won't likely go with them again....but they are a decent projector as well, I just find the Sony is better.

You'll get varying opinions so I would make a plus/minus list and go from there.

Good luck.
i just helped hook up a sony and am blown away by the pic,it looks like my samsung plasma at 120in simply amazing!
ninjaskins likes this.
leadliner is online now  
post #346 of 1059 Old 03-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
So bottom line, I'm selling the 5030ub to somebody who sits farther away than the 7'-6" I sit (room constraints) and picking up a Sony VPL40 which doesn't have this effect due to the SXRD structure vs LCD.
Please keep us posted on how the VPL40 works in your space - I'm considering a small-room theatre that will have nearly the same seating distance / screen size with that projector, and have been concerned about the image being too large or too bright, etc.

Beautiful space, and how convenient that those speakers match! When I had a pair of Cremona Auditors, I'd have redesigned my room to match them as well.
johnLongview is offline  
post #347 of 1059 Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Senior Member
 
JJxiv1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnLongview View Post
Please keep us posted on how the VPL40 works in your space - I'm considering a small-room theatre that will have nearly the same seating distance / screen size with that projector, and have been concerned about the image being too large or too bright, etc.

Beautiful space, and how convenient that those speakers match! When I had a pair of Cremona Auditors, I'd have redesigned my room to match them as well.

I had cherry B&W 683s prior and I wrapped them in a marble-white vinyl finish just so they'd fit. The Veneres were a no-brainer on aesthetics alone!


Anyway, I can tell you that, with using the Epson 5030 for 3 months in that space, the 7.5' seating distance and 92" screen worked amazingly. If it wasn't for having spotted SDE at that range, I would've kept it. It's not too large, and not too bright at all.


Although, bear in mind that my screen is roughly 0.8 gain or so, I custom built it myself. I had bought a 1.1 gain screen but due to my room's white walls and skating-rink floor it created such a wash-out effect that it was unbearable. Had to go. With 0.8G, it's PERFECT.


The Sony is a smidge brighter in reference mode, per ProjectorCentral, but I don't think it'll be a big deal. Nothing a few adjustments and calibrations can't fix.
JJxiv1215 is offline  
post #348 of 1059 Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Anyway, I can tell you that, with using the Epson 5030 for 3 months in that space, the 7.5' seating distance and 92" screen worked amazingly. If it wasn't for having spotted SDE at that range, I would've kept it. It's not too large, and not too bright at all.


Although, bear in mind that my screen is roughly 0.8 gain or so, I custom built it myself. I had bought a 1.1 gain screen but due to my room's white walls and skating-rink floor it created such a wash-out effect that it was unbearable. Had to go. With 0.8G, it's PERFECT.


The Sony is a smidge brighter in reference mode, per ProjectorCentral, but I don't think it'll be a big deal. Nothing a few adjustments and calibrations can't fix.
Good to hear! I'm looking at the 5030 as well (I've had plasmas for so long that black levels are a sticking point for me), and it looks like I might be able to place seating in the 8'-9' range... sounds like it'll work well.
johnLongview is offline  
post #349 of 1059 Old 03-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
adude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Null
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by James of Az View Post
Epson 3600e lights up great
My setup 148" x 72"

http://youtu.be/MZZMt_NlDIA
Saw the video. Looks nice, especially in daytime viewing. What color mode are you using on the projector?
adude is offline  
post #350 of 1059 Old 03-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I currently own a 5030 (well, the 9200W to be correct) and very much consider selling it and replace it with the Sony HW40. Main reason : the noise the Epson makes when ceiling mounted, especially in 3D. I find it WAY too loud. When I set it up as table mounted (inverted picture since it hangs off the ceiling) the noise is about 50% less. Second reason : I hate having to use the fast mode for games, and need a faster projector.

So what do you think? A good idea. Mind I will also need to use the wireless transmitter from Sony because I have no way to get a HDMI lead to the projector in my specific situation. Been using the Epson wireless since I got it without issue. Only thing that bothers me is that the Sony had no wireless built-in and 3D is using Ir. So extra cables and stuff

I more or less could live with the higher input lag, but the Epson is just WAY too loud for my taste when ceiling mounted. Still do not understand why Epson makes the projector louder when mounting it upside down. No other brand does this... If I could fix that, I would not sell the Epson but the projector is right over my head and it's annoying me way too much (tried watching gravity in 3D and had to turn if off because the noise took me out of the movie).

Advice?

Last edited by lapino; 03-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.
lapino is offline  
post #351 of 1059 Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Member
 
James of Az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James of Az View Post
Epson 3600e lights up great
My setup 148" x 72"

http://youtu.be/MZZMt_NlDIA
Saw the video. Looks nice, especially in daytime viewing. What color mode are you using on the projector?
That one was in living room

The night video I put up on YouTube is cinemode
http://youtu.be/aSgsGAyT1nE
James of Az is offline  
post #352 of 1059 Old 03-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
I currently own a 5030 (well, the 9200W to be correct) and very much consider selling it and replace it with the Sony HW40. Main reason : the noise the Epson makes when ceiling mounted, especially in 3D. I find it WAY too loud. When I set it up as table mounted (inverted picture since it hangs off the ceiling) the noise is about 50% less. Second reason : I hate having to use the fast mode for games, and need a faster projector.

So what do you think? A good idea. Mind I will also need to use the wireless transmitter from Sony because I have no way to get a HDMI lead to the projector in my specific situation. Been using the Epson wireless since I got it without issue. Only thing that bothers me is that the Sony had no wireless built-in and 3D is using Ir. So extra cables and stuff

I more or less could live with the higher input lag, but the Epson is just WAY too loud for my taste when ceiling mounted. Still do not understand why Epson makes the projector louder when mounting it upside down. No other brand does this... If I could fix that, I would not sell the Epson but the projector is right over my head and it's annoying me way too much (tried watching gravity in 3D and had to turn if off because the noise took me out of the movie).

Advice?
anyone? very close to selling the epson but I am worried if it is a smart thing to do. love the epson iq, hate the noise in 3d and having to use fast mode for games. Will the Sony be better?
lapino is offline  
post #353 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
BDUB619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
anyone? very close to selling the epson but I am worried if it is a smart thing to do. love the epson iq, hate the noise in 3d and having to use fast mode for games. Will the Sony be better?
Yes, if you're concerned about fan noise and image quality in FAST mode/gaming, then you should get the Sony. These are the Sony's 2 strongest benefits and you won't regret it.

It's not the same thing, but I had an Epson 2000 projector and loved it but I too got tired of the soft image in FAST mode and the noise of the fan. My Sony is almost silent and is mounted about 3 feet behind my head and I don't hear it at all (even in 3D mode). My PS4 is louder than my Sony PJ lol. Also, image quality in gaming is excellent and lag time is lower than the 5030.

The Epson 5030 is a great projector but for your concerns and usage, you'd be better off with the HW40es.

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619

Last edited by BDUB619; 03-30-2015 at 09:24 AM.
BDUB619 is offline  
post #354 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Ok thanks for the info. I will miss the Epson for certain things though, especially the built-in wireless and RF glasses for 3D are very large pro's. If the Sony had built-in wireless and supported RF glasses out of the box, it would be the perfect projector for me. But I can live with having to use an external wifi solution and IR glasses (it's not like I watch 3D all day long).
lapino is offline  
post #355 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
JJxiv1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Officially purchased the VPL40 today! I'll be setting it up this weekend, and will post my thoughts as a 3-month owner of the 5030ub compared to my opening impressions of the VPL40.

The downsides of the 5030, from my own personal experience, was just the screen door effect at 8' seating distance on a 92" screen (projector 11.5' away). The colors were great, the fan noise wasn't too bad (the auto iris working was occasionally distracting, but not worth returning in and of itself), I never gamed on it so I couldn't provide any input on input lag, blacks were good (and worth the tradeoff as both a Kuro and ZT60 owner). Contrast on high brightness/darkness scenes was a little lacking (read: dimly lit interior with sun streaming thru windows, snow, etc), and supposedly the Sony does better here.

If it wasn't for the SDE I would've kept it. And I will say it took me 2 months to notice it. But it's one of those, once you see it, you can't un-see it things, so DONT GO LOOKING FOR IT.
JJxiv1215 is offline  
post #356 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Ok looking forward to your experience, especially interested in comparing brightness and fan noise both in low and high lamp mode. My Epson 5030 is being picked up by new owner next thursday and then I'll order the Sony.
lapino is offline  
post #357 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Member
 
jaymk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Officially purchased the VPL40 today! I'll be setting it up this weekend, and will post my thoughts as a 3-month owner of the 5030ub compared to my opening impressions of the VPL40.

The downsides of the 5030, from my own personal experience, was just the screen door effect at 8' seating distance on a 92" screen (projector 11.5' away). The colors were great, the fan noise wasn't too bad (the auto iris working was occasionally distracting, but not worth returning in and of itself), I never gamed on it so I couldn't provide any input on input lag, blacks were good (and worth the tradeoff as both a Kuro and ZT60 owner). Contrast on high brightness/darkness scenes was a little lacking (read: dimly lit interior with sun streaming thru windows, snow, etc), and supposedly the Sony does better here.

If it wasn't for the SDE I would've kept it. And I will say it took me 2 months to notice it. But it's one of those, once you see it, you can't un-see it things, so DONT GO LOOKING FOR IT.
Congrats on Your new projector.
Keep us posted about Your experience.
When I checked the Sony at Magnolia, I was not happy with the brightness and the black levels.
How did You manage to return the espson after 3 months?
Looking forward to Your opinion as the owner of both !
Thank You.
jaymk is offline  
post #358 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
JJxiv1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk View Post
Congrats on Your new projector.
Keep us posted about Your experience.
When I checked the Sony at Magnolia, I was not happy with the brightness and the black levels.
How did You manage to return the espson after 3 months?
Looking forward to Your opinion as the owner of both !
Thank You.
They have a Sony 40 on display at that Magnolia. But it's been on for like, 7000 hours straight with no bulb change. So you can imagine how much of a POS it is at this point. Can't use that as a reference point.

I didn't return it, I sold it on eBay. They still have a high asking price on there, sold it used for $2050.
JJxiv1215 is offline  
post #359 of 1059 Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody

I'm going to have my sony 40es after months of reading reviews of PANASONIC PTAE8000, EPSON 5030, JVC DLA-X35 and this SONY! and the question: at a fixed 3.3m throw distance calculator says that I can have a picture of 70" to 110" by lens zoom 1.00 to 1.60. which is better -70'? 110'? or just something in the middle? In the other words, what's the zoom effect on image brightness, machine/lamp longevity and so on -regardless of image diagonal.
Asurig is offline  
post #360 of 1059 Old 03-31-2015, 05:55 AM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurig View Post
Hi everybody

I'm going to have my sony 40es after months of reading reviews of PANASONIC PTAE8000, EPSON 5030, JVC DLA-X35 and this SONY! and the question: at a fixed 3.3m throw distance calculator says that I can have a picture of 70" to 110" by lens zoom 1.00 to 1.60. which is better -70'? 110'? or just something in the middle? In the other words, what's the zoom effect on image brightness, machine/lamp longevity and so on -regardless of image diagonal.
Well...the Projector Central calculator will tell you brightness based upon throw distance so that takes zoom into account. From what I understand this Sony loses very little brightness with zoom....I believe they mention it in their review. Longevity is not going to be affected in any case...unless for example your throw is short enough that you can use the low lamp setting to get the brightness you want rather than the high setting. I believe the calculator assumes the normal (not the low) setting. You should also consider that the bulb will dim over time through normal use so I would try to account for that (Meaning don't aim for the brightness you want at max throw...factor in a little extra brightness when the bulb is new).

Some folks are mentioning bluriness in part of the image when too much lense shift is used so it would probably be best to try to reduce the amount of that you use with proper placement of the mount. Of course this could vary from projector to projector due to manufacturing variances. Mine doesn't seem to be affected by this but I haven't spent TONS of time looking into that.

It seems to be a balancing act. I would determine what screen size you want and how close you want to sit to it. Then determine if the projector can be mounted behind you (less distracting IMO) considering the screen size and seating distance you've selected. Using the calculator think about what the brightness would look like when the bulb is old (some say brightness would dip by about 50%) and if that would still be bright enough for a dim room (14 to 20 ftL is normally considered adequate). Of course you could always replace bulbs more often or get a higher gain screen if the numbers don't line up well.
AMartin56 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off