Need help selecting a projector (up to 800$) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
I.G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help selecting a projector (up to 800$)

Hi, new here

* English is not my native language, sorry for any mistakes.

I'm looking for a projector that can show a 100~105'' image (16:9) from a distance of 12ft 2in. (3.7m)
Full HD (1080P) and 3D (optional).

I was thinking about the Optoma HD26, but I would like to hear (or read) your opinion.

The main use is movies.

Last edited by I.G; 09-26-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Since you sound like you can't change the throw distance or screen size, then the Optoma models are about your only choice. Not sure how much difference there really is between the 141x and the HD26. Unless the room is really good, I would probably go with the less expensive 141x and call it a done deal.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For around $849 i think, the epson 2030 can do a 113" screen at 12' 2". It is also full HD and 3D. I have this projector and love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
I.G

Thank you both.

The 3.7m throw distance is the minimum that I can manage.
And the max. image hight is about 1.3~1.4m, so the image size can be no more than 105'' (preferably less)

The room is a standard bedroom: 4X3 meters, one window (with blinds), a door. White walls and a ceiling fan in the middle (which is the cause to my problems).

I'm going to set the projector to a shelf above the window to compensate to for the length of the ceiling fan (and because it's a rented house and I can't drill into the ceiling or remove the ceiling fan)
post #5 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My opion is get a TV instead. Projector are not made for small rooms. I could not stand to sit that close to a 100in image. The screen reflctions will light up the room to much. Just my take
post #6 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
My opion is get a TV instead. Projector are not made for small rooms. I could not stand to sit that close to a 100in image. The screen reflctions will light up the room to much. Just my take
I guess that is totally up to the person watching it. I have a 99" screen and sit about 11' away which is only 1" bigger than the THX max size recommendation.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
I.G

A 60'' TV (where I live) costs twice as much as the Optoma HD26 (from amazon)
post #8 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You sound like you need some placement flexibility. This means lens shift. This means that the BenQ W1070 and the Optoma models are all unrealistic. Instead, the Epson 3000 series is the way to go.

They have good zoom range, and lens shift which allows you to place the projector upright, on a shelf at the back of the room.

With a throw distance (lens to screen) of 3.7m you can have an image height between 96cm and 156cm. This continues to be ideal if you need to move the projector a bit closer, or a bit further away from the screen.

The projector is a bit more money, but IMO, is an excellent choice for your setup which is highly restrictive on projector placement.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

The Optoma must be upside down about 7" or 8" above the top of the screen, or if right side up, it must be 7" or 8" below the bottom of the screen - which doesn't sound ideal or feasible in your setup.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
I.G

I was planning to use the shelf as a base for an arm, and to place the projector upside down. Will it bring back the Optoma as an option?
the Epson 3000 is way to expensive for me.

Thanks again for the help
post #10 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As said, the Optoma must have the center of the lens 7" to 8" above the top of the screen.

post #11 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.G View Post
Thank you both.

The 3.7m throw distance is the minimum that I can manage.
And the max. image hight is about 1.3~1.4m, so the image size can be no more than 105'' (preferably less)

The room is a standard bedroom: 4X3 meters, one window (with blinds), a door. White walls and a ceiling fan in the middle (which is the cause to my problems).

I'm going to set the projector to a shelf above the window to compensate to for the length of the ceiling fan (and because it's a rented house and I can't drill into the ceiling or remove the ceiling fan)
How high is the window ? How low does the ceiling fan hang ? How high do you expect the top of the image to be ? If the ceiling fan hangs lower than the top of the image, then you have a problem. If not, then you may still have a problem depending on how much fixed offset the projector needs -- ie, how far above the screen it needs the lens to be.

You can use a wall mount rather than a shelf for the projector. That could shorten your throw distance and make the $700 BenQ W1070 a possibility by hanging the projector further out from the wall than a shelf and lower than the top of the window.

If you need to tilt the projector up to hit the top edge of the screen without the ceiling fan obstructing the light path, then you can mount a screen with the top of the frame spaced out from the wall about 7cm. That will correct the keystone without using digital keystone correction. You don't want to tilt the projector a lot.

Your white walls and ceiling will detract from your contrast levels. Consider hanging dark curtains, preferably black velvet, as tapestries over the walls as well as the window wall. Consider using thumbtacks or double-sided tape to attach a dark fabric, preferably black velvet, to the ceiling itself at least a few feet out from the screen. I don't know what country you are in, but black velvet in the US is only $8/yard. and doing all four walls of that size room would cost only $200. Dark non-velvet fabric is even less expensive.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds

Last edited by dreamer; 09-26-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-27-2014, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
I.G

I have calculated the distances and the top of the image can be at about 2.05m (6'9'').
If the bottom is at 0.7m (2'4''), the image hight can be up to 1.4m (2.1m from the floor), preferably 1.3 and less.
The ceiling fan is hanging at about 2.2m (7'3'') and for throw distance of about 3.7m the offset of the W1070 and the HD26 is about 0.2m. (0.1m from the projector to the fan, and 0.1 from the fan to the screen)
(The measurements are from my memory, I'm not at home right now, but as you can see I checked the offset, the throw distance and the measurements of the room)

The wall arm is interesting. I'll look into that.
I will consider hanging curtains, but I can't hang them all over the room (it's a bedroom, not a tomb ). Maybe foldable curtains.

Is there some kind of filter that I can put on the lens to dim it a bit? maybe to change the light bulb?

edit:
Got home now- the hight of the fan is about 2.15m. the hight of the window is 2.35m.
the min. screen hight is 0.8m from the floor.
A challenge
The cheapest 55'' TV cost about 1160$.

Last edited by I.G; 09-27-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: new information
post #13 of 18 Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The wall arm is interesting. I'll look into that.
I will consider hanging curtains, but I can't hang them all over the room (it's a bedroom, not a tomb ). Maybe foldable curtains.

Is there some kind of filter that I can put on the lens to dim it a bit? maybe to change the light bulb?
I see. I thought it was bedroom being dedicated to theater use, not still being used as a bedroom.

Curtain or drapes can be hung on curtain rods so they can be opened up to see the walls when not watching a movie.

Based on your measurements, it looks like the W1070 will work fine.

You can buy a neutral density filter to place in front of the lens for a dimmer image, although I think the W1070 in eco mode will be dim enough for you. Projectors use a specific lamp, and they have "modes" to use full brightness or less brightness. Buying a different lamp is not possible.

Kirk Ellis
post #14 of 18 Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
I.G

OK, Thanks.

Is there any other decent projector that can give me smaller image at this distance than the W1070?
post #15 of 18 Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, Thanks.

Is there any other decent projector that can give me smaller image at this distance than the W1070?
Sure. Depends what you mean by "decent" but the Optoma projectors all have a slightly longer throw than the BenQ W1070. The $600 HD131xe, for example, could fill any screen between 92" and 110" from 3.7m.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/opto...1xe-projector/

You seem concerned about projectors being too bright, so look in the review about how much less bright it is with the Brilliant Color setting adjusted for cinema mode.

Kirk Ellis

Last edited by dreamer; 09-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First I'd like to declare, I'm a total newbie as well.

I just purchased the Optoma 141x as well from beachcamera.com for $599 and have w/ a 15x15 room. I don't what size screen to buy either. I'm debating between a 112 or 120. All these formulas and new terms really throw me in a loop. I will be sitting anywhere from 8-14 feet away based on the seating. I'm pretty sure the projector will be roughly 13.5-13 ft away. Please tell me thoughts? I'm trying to have this room up and running by end of next week.

Thanks in Advance!
post #17 of 18 Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwism View Post
First I'd like to declare, I'm a total newbie as well.

I just purchased the Optoma 141x as well from beachcamera.com for $599 and have w/ a 15x15 room. I don't what size screen to buy either. I'm debating between a 112 or 120. All these formulas and new terms really throw me in a loop. I will be sitting anywhere from 8-14 feet away based on the seating. I'm pretty sure the projector will be roughly 13.5-13 ft away. Please tell me thoughts? I'm trying to have this room up and running by end of next week.

Thanks in Advance!
The 141x should have no trouble with either of those screen sizes from the throw-distance you're expecting. The 120" screen will still be on the smaller side for the back seats and near 1:1 for the front (which is pretty big/close). I'd recommend going with the 120" and inching the front seats back about 1ft if possible unless you find it to be alright as is.

The best way to find out is to just quickly setup the projector to shine on the wall and see how big and close you can be comfortably..try the same with the rear seats, how small can you go comfortably? If you already have an idea whether you like to sit close or far in the theater, you might want to focus on making that (whichever is the "main" row) the best experience while making the other row a slight compromise.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #18 of 18 Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
I.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Sure. Depends what you mean by "decent" but the Optoma projectors all have a slightly longer throw than the BenQ W1070. The $600 HD131xe, for example, could fill any screen between 92" and 110" from 3.7m.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/opto...1xe-projector/

You seem concerned about projectors being too bright, so look in the review about how much less bright it is with the Brilliant Color setting adjusted for cinema mode.
"Decent" for me at this point is (a) longest throw distance (b) not too bright for a 12X9 ft. room (although it doesn't bother me that much) (c) best picture quality for 800$ or less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page