Thinking of buying a Sony HW40ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thinking of buying a Sony HW40ES

I am about to get myself a projector for my living room. I have attached a panorama that was taken during lunch. As is very evident from the photograph, my living room is very bright.
I got a white 90" screen already so my plan is to purchase a HW40ES. I mainly choose it because I heard it hardly makes any fan noise and I am super allergic to fan noise.

Would a Sony HW40ES this be a good choice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DP2Q0125 - DP2Q0129.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	285290  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
You'll be much happier with an 80 in lcd IMO.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
You have absolutely the worst possible room for a projector - do you intend to fully treat the room so it is actually like a movie theater?

If not, then get a LCD flat panel. That room doesn't even look appropriate for a plasma display.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
You'll be much happier with an 80 in lcd IMO.
The only 80" LCD I would be able to afford would be a Sharp Aquos, I have seen the TV at the store and it is definitely big but the image quality leave something to be desired.
I have already installed HDMI and electricity in the ceiling for a projector. Not very pretty but I suppose, I could extend the HDMI cable with a repeater and have it go all the way to the other side of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You have absolutely the worst possible room for a projector - do you intend to fully treat the room so it is actually like a movie theater?

If not, then get a LCD flat panel. That room doesn't even look appropriate for a plasma display.
I will have dark red light blocking curtains for the windows but I will not repaint the walls or ceiling.

Last edited by lordmetroid; 09-29-2014 at 07:23 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I don't like discouraging anyone who wants to buy a projector, as I think it's the best way to enjoy an immersive viewing experience in the home. On the other hand, I don't want to encourage someone to forge ahead with a projector purchase if they're not serious about trying to obtain a decent viewing experience. I'm sure you care about getting a nice picture in your room. I'm just not sure if you're ready to do what's necessary to get a nice picture for a projector.
Your quote "As is very evident from the photograph, my living room is very bright.", makes me think you just want to keep the room as is, and try to project in this bright room. If that is the case, then I'll have to agree with the other posters and advise you get a large screen LCD television. If that's not the case, then you have some work to do to make this room projector friendly.
I'm not saying you have to turn your living room into a dedicated dark room home theater, but you must cut down on the amount of light entering your room, and the amount of light that will reflect off the walls and ceiling to make a projection setup enjoyable.

However, if 90 inches is the size you want to project, you can get a nice 80 inch LCD for about the same money (or a little bit more) and save yourself all the hastle.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Thinking of buying a Sony HW40ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmetroid View Post
The only 80" LCD I would be able to afford would be a Sharp Aquos, I have seen the TV at the store and it is definitely big but the image quality leave something to be desired.

I will have dark red light blocking curtains for the windows but I will not repaint the walls or ceiling.

If you weren't happy with the PQ of the Sharp LCD, then you certainly won't be happy with the massive hit to both black levels and contrast that such bright walls/ceiling will cause as a result of reflected light from the screen of a projected image.

I'm a huge projector fan, but for a videophile in a really light-colored room like yours, projection unfortunately isn't a good option.

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Yea man I'm nottrying to discourage buying a projector, I just don't think you will be happy.

Why not get everything ready and in 6 weeks pickup a cheap dlp from Black Friday for 600 bucks and try it out first?
post #8 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Yea man I'm nottrying to discourage buying a projector, I just don't think you will be happy.

Why not get everything ready and in 6 weeks pickup a cheap dlp from Black Friday for 600 bucks and try it out first?
I was at the store and tooked a detailed look at Samsung 78" ultra HD curved TV, that one is totally gorgeous. However for the price they want, I can have a 3 month long vacation in Japan. The Sharp wasn't all that bad either but it was no Samsung.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No... Sharp definitely is not Samsung, but you do pay a premium with Samsung. Be aware that there are some different 80" Sharp models which look better/worse than others, with appropriate pricing.

I would skip the projector. It just doesn't make sense in that room, and especially at the sizes we are talking about.

Check out the different 80" Sharps and pick one up.

Samsung does have their 75" LCDs which may look a fair bit better than the Sharps and are in your price range...
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN75H6...75+inch+led+tv

Certainly worth a look at them as well.

We all love front projection here, but theaters are black for a reason, and this just isn't the case for you... So, roll with what you have and get a display that can make the most of your setup.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Best advice' buy a house with a basement ' they make the best HT rooms. Then we can help you spend all your money.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
I recently put some black shades on and it makes all the difference in the world to my projector room, which has wide windows. Now I can play videogames all day long on the weekends with my girlfriend, Yayyy.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I recently put some black shades on and it makes all the difference in the world to my projector room, which has wide windows. Now I can play videogames all day long on the weekends with my girlfriend, Yayyy.
Would curtains be sufficient to use the room for a projector?

Quote:
No... Sharp definitely is not Samsung, but you do pay a premium with Samsung. Be aware that there are some different 80" Sharp models which look better/worse than others, with appropriate pricing.

I would skip the projector. It just doesn't make sense in that room, and especially at the sizes we are talking about.

Check out the different 80" Sharps and pick one up.

Samsung does have their 75" LCDs which may look a fair bit better than the Sharps and are in your price range...
I have been comparing 75", 80" or 84" relatively to the 90" screen I could get from a projector and come to the conclusion that I do not want to purchase anything smaller than 80". For such large display would HD be sufficient or do one ought to get a Ultra HD display?
post #13 of 17 Old 09-30-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
No, curtains don't help enough, you need true blackout shades. They cost more but they're worth it.

Also, you can get some that have white on the outside and black on the inside, to help avoid light reflections (improved contrast + color accuracy on the projector side) and keep your home cooler in the summer (getting black on the outside instead keeps the apartment / house warmer in the winter, but I don't relish the notion of changing out my blackout shades seasonally). There are some blackout shades that block out sound and provide insulation benefits too, so they have a dual purpose to reduce your heating / AC bills in winter or summertime.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Would curtains be sufficient to use the room for a projector?

I have been comparing 75", 80" or 84" relatively to the 90" screen I could get from a projector and come to the conclusion that I do not want to purchase anything smaller than 80". For such large display would HD be sufficient or do one ought to get a Ultra HD display?
If you plan to get the room fairly dark with curtains, it'll work but it'd still make more sense to go with a projector in the <$1000 range if you don't have any plans to darken the color of the walls/ceiling near the screen. The biggest thing you gain from the higher-end/higher-dollar projectors are contrast and black-levels which will get pretty mediocre in a white room even in the dark. A cheaper but still solid model will look nearly the same in such a room (especially during the day) and will cost half as much. There aren't any reeeeally quiet and inexpensive projectors that I know of however.

UltraHD won't have any ultraHD content to show for quite a while, so it'd be upscaled like 480 to 1080 was for the earlier years. You'd also have to sit roughly 6ft away from an 80" screen to really get much benefit from 4K anyway. How close do you plan on sitting?

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-30-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-30-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If you plan to get the room fairly dark with curtains, it'll work but it'd still make more sense to go with a projector in the <$1000 range if you don't have any plans to darken the color of the walls/ceiling near the screen. The biggest thing you gain from the higher-end/higher-dollar projectors are contrast and black-levels which will get pretty mediocre in a white room even in the dark. A cheaper but still solid model will look nearly the same in such a room (especially during the day) and will cost half as much. There aren't any reeeeally quiet and inexpensive projectors that I know of however.
I would gladly purchase a less expensive projector if the fan noise were minimal. I actually did purchased a BenQ W1070 but sold it just 2 days afterwards because I couldn't stand the "jet engine" the engineers mistakenly installed in the projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
UltraHD won't have any ultraHD content to show for quite a while, so it'd be upscaled like 480 to 1080 was for the earlier years. You'd also have to sit roughly 6ft away from an 80" screen to really get much benefit from 4K anyway. How close do you plan on sitting?
I will be sitting somewhere between 3 to 4m(10 to 13 feet) away from the display.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would gladly purchase a less expensive projector if the fan noise were minimal. I actually did purchased a BenQ W1070 but sold it just 2 days afterwards because I couldn't stand the "jet engine" the engineers mistakenly installed in the projector.
What did you think of the W1070 OTHER than the noise?

The Sony HW40ES will look similarly bright, with better contrast, and near silence.

While it's not my recommendation, it is your choice, and the 40ES is a very quiet projector.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What did you think of the W1070 OTHER than the noise?

The Sony HW40ES will look similarly bright, with better contrast, and near silence.

While it's not my recommendation, it is your choice, and the 40ES is a very quiet projector.
I liked the image quality but I only tested the projector against the wall in my bedroom, having no bigger than a 30" projection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page