Just got an Epson 5030UB . . . - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-24-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got an Epson 5030UB . . .

I have a Sanyo Z2, bought in late 2004.
It is on its second bulb. Still looks good . . . but with the universality of HDMI and the need to stream Netflix it seemed "time" to retire this little champion, as reluctant as I am to scrap such a serviceable piece of electronics. Sanyo's engineers should be proud!

I received a 5030UB yesterday. Very happy with it. Its increased throw range over the Z2 promises I can relocate all my components along the back wall of the room (15 feet) and get an unwelcome piece of furniture out of the way.

First impressions are that the 5030UB is very quiet . . . and very, VERY large compared to the Z2. I streamed netflix to it last night with perfect success although I have yet to receive a cable that will allow me to get sound into my (non-HDMI) receiver.

I have been poking about the forum. Why no "dedicated 5030UB" thread?
I see a FW update is available but I am not at all sure it offers anything of value to me and FW updates that offer no advantage seem best avoided. There is always a risk of bricking the new baby.

Terry Danks
Nature & Wildlife Photography
http://danks.netfirms.com/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post
I have a Sanyo Z2, bought in late 2004.
It is on its second bulb. Still looks good . . . but with the universality of HDMI and the need to stream Netflix it seemed "time" to retire this little champion, as reluctant as I am to scrap such a serviceable piece of electronics. Sanyo's engineers should be proud!

I received a 5030UB yesterday. Very happy with it. Its increased throw range over the Z2 promises I can relocate all my components along the back wall of the room (15 feet) and get an unwelcome piece of furniture out of the way.

First impressions are that the 5030UB is very quiet . . . and very, VERY large compared to the Z2. I streamed netflix to it last night with perfect success although I have yet to receive a cable that will allow me to get sound into my (non-HDMI) receiver.

I see a FW update is available but I am not at all sure it offers anything of value to me and FW updates that offer no advantage seem best avoided. There is always a risk of bricking the new baby.

I bought mine in Sept 2014. I replaced my Sanyo Z3 after about 9 years. Sanyo had developed blue spots on one side. Epson is a huge improvement over Sanyo. If you have not already done do the firm upgrade that Epson has recently introduced. You will be amazed at the difference it makes. The video is so sharp that it would put a plasma to shame
post #3 of 3 Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post
It's in the $3000+ forum.

Plus, installing the firmware is a good idea. Apparently it greatly improves the sharpness of the PJ. Also, it's pretty simple to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page