Official Sony VPL-HW40ES Owners/Settings Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 384Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 1565 Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post
I'll suggest a grey surface b4 going the filter route.. I think the HW40ES benefits from it.. I now have no complaints concerning black level.. On a white surface, the darker areas are distractingly greyish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
Stock modes are perfectly fine. I don't know why you'd want to calibrate it unless you're a perfectionist and/or know exactly what movie should look like in terms of color and can spot imperfections with a naked eye. Like, "hey, that man's nostril has a bit of red hues, and definitely some green bias... Definitely needs -2 green, + 1 blue gain"... something like that. I'm not like that and to me all mode looks great.

I tried some of the calibration settings posted in here, found them to be quite horrible and just reset everything back to stock.
Thanks..

I didn't mess up anything with colors or contrast etc

but I am sure at least everyone is doing panel alignment ?

and for panel alignment.. we need to do it for each box right ? to align all colors in line ? Apart from panel alignment what is the other thing recommended to change or set properly ?

Also does anyone know if Elite Screens has any grey in manual pull down ? or any other screen brand.. tried to find from amazon and they were saying only Black and White are available...


TIA
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 1565 Old 05-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
damn..

I was so happy with the projector until yesterday night...

just started the projector and in just 2-3 mins it started to project this type of image.. I am not getting the exact word to say it..

but it seems like very old fashioned 3d movie viewing with naked eye and worse than than that.. I didn't do any settings on 3d so far.. I was about to try this weekend...

please check these images and videos of what I am talking about... is this something in setting causing it ? I have reset the projector settings and still projects the same image... all I did was panel alignment and it too has option whether to use it or keep it turned off.. I have it turned off..

I am thinking the best way to get a good Sony projector is go with cruthfield as they have 60 days return policy and by that time we might find the right one..

will head out to BB soon to return this one
@Nuieve you have replaced many projectors of this model.. seems I am also unlucky like you

Last edited by Cyborg_Optoma; 05-23-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #453 of 1565 Old 05-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
so it ran fine for 5-10 mins and again started to switch projection image from normal to the ones in the photos or videos..

sorry .. I am still setting up HTS.. its all rusty.. and its not a blu ray output.. for the movie..

hugh this is not good

Edit:
i am not sure what is the issue..other than thinking it turned out to be a bad unit..
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #454 of 1565 Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 PM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
so it ran fine for 5-10 mins and again started to switch projection image from normal to the ones in the photos or videos..

sorry .. I am still setting up HTS.. its all rusty.. and its not a blu ray output.. for the movie..

hugh this is not good

Edit:
i am not sure what is the issue..other than thinking it turned out to be a bad unit..
Just to cover all your bases unplug the power (don't just turn it off) and unplug all HDMI. Then wire it all back up. Try multiple sources, multiple cables and both HDMI ports on the projector. That should narrow it down. Would also be useful to know if it works fine when cold then freaks out when it warms up.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #455 of 1565 Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Just to cover all your bases unplug the power (don't just turn it off) and unplug all HDMI. Then wire it all back up. Try multiple sources, multiple cables and both HDMI ports on the projector. That should narrow it down. Would also be useful to know if it works fine when cold then freaks out when it warms up.

yes I tried another HDMI cable just before I saw your post.... and I already packed the projector now... going to BB in few minutes...

I think it starts to panic once it gets warmed up.. I left the projector on and went outside for almost 35 mins and came back and saw it was doing the same stupid projection thing.. when i started it it was working fine.. i left within 1 or 2 mins ...

I am thinking whether to order it from crutchfiled or not.. or just give up for now on upgrading projector.. really liked how big it can project and the colors etc..

I remember one time it happened to me when HDMI cable was bad.. bad 2 cables cannot be bad and one of them i just opened it..
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #456 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Sorry to hear ( and see) that. Looked to me like some kind of a handshake/bad source problem. Possibly bad HDMI cable/port somewhere in the chain. Was projector doing the same when you displayed an internal setting screen? Did you try other sources, e.g. Proper Blu-Ray? A laptop and play Netflix or youtube? What about HDMI 2?

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #457 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post
Sorry to hear ( and see) that. Looked to me like some kind of a handshake/bad source problem. Possibly bad HDMI cable/port somewhere in the chain. Was projector doing the same when you displayed an internal setting screen? Did you try other sources, e.g. Proper Blu-Ray? A laptop and play Netflix or youtube? What about HDMI 2?
I think I did try it in another hdmi port.. don't remember..used 2 different cables.. and the same cables work fine with my old projector optoma hd-131xe.. does this projector needs stupid monster type of hdmi cables ? if so i will not get this projector in the first place.. if it only needs costly wiring etc.. I don't think that's the case..

another reason and stupidity by BB employees which made me stop shopping there... went to store to get it exchanged.. i knew none of them would have them in stock..and wanted the rep to order another for delivery.. but he said one store 10 mi away has 3 in stock i was like lets get it from store instead of waiting as it will give me more time to test the unit.. but i asked the guy 3 times in different ways to call the store and confirm if they really had it in stock.. he was bragging their inventory system is good and accurate..

stupid enough i drove only to find that all the 3-4 units were open box.. when asked why they have so many units as open box.. the guy replied people have returned it either disliked it or some issue with the projector..as they were recently returned.. I am sure they too had some issues.. ordered a new one and have to wait now till 28th..

back onto my old projector for now..


Edit:
So what kind of cables or brand cables are you guys using ?

the hdmi cable is going from receiver ( Yamaha rx-v575 ) to projector

Last edited by Cyborg_Optoma; 05-24-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #458 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Member
 
forest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
monoprice hdmi cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
So what kind of cables or brand cables are you guys using ?
The ultra slim redmere cables from monoprice work fine for me.
forest is offline  
post #459 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Nuieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
I think I did try it in another hdmi port.. don't remember..used 2 different cables.. and the same cables work fine with my old projector optoma hd-131xe.. does this projector needs stupid monster type of hdmi cables ? if so i will not get this projector in the first place.. if it only needs costly wiring etc.. I don't think that's the case..

another reason and stupidity by BB employees which made me stop shopping there... went to store to get it exchanged.. i knew none of them would have them in stock..and wanted the rep to order another for delivery.. but he said one store 10 mi away has 3 in stock i was like lets get it from store instead of waiting as it will give me more time to test the unit.. but i asked the guy 3 times in different ways to call the store and confirm if they really had it in stock.. he was bragging their inventory system is good and accurate..

stupid enough i drove only to find that all the 3-4 units were open box.. when asked why they have so many units as open box.. the guy replied people have returned it either disliked it or some issue with the projector..as they were recently returned.. I am sure they too had some issues.. ordered a new one and have to wait now till 28th..

back onto my old projector for now..


Edit:
So what kind of cables or brand cables are you guys using ?

the hdmi cable is going from receiver ( Yamaha rx-v575 ) to projector
Forget about cables. They either transmit signal or don't. This looks like some kind of processing error. You get red and greens but no blues. I doubt a cable can choose a color to drop.

I have the same receiver (refurb). Ironically all 3 receivers I have are refurbs and all 3 (well, 2 at least) have issues but very hard to catch during recertification. Onkyo's HDMI board crapped out eventually. Denon's headphone input had a dead channel (didn't catch it until after the warranty was over). This Yamaha loses handshake in the middle of a movie and start flashing black screen on/off for a minute (I initially thought it was Sony's fault but now I start to suspect Yamaha... not sure). I haven't had this happen in the last 5-7 movies or so but I'm still on guard. I think HDMI ports are the first thing to go with receivers. Next time you get this artefact don't panic. Turn on the green pattern on the PJ from the remote. If it shows good, it's the signal, not something within PJ most likely. Then while movie is running, simply turn off/on the receiver and see if the image restores.

Or, the best thing, pause the movie... while it's still f'd up, diconnect and reconnect HDMI cable to your pj. If the image is still messed up, see if there's something else you can hookup to that HDMI cable... like a small TV or a computer monitor. Just bring it over and hook it up and see if you get the same messed up picture.

I bet it's the Yamaha that is at fault.
Nuieve is offline  
post #460 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
Forget about cables. They either transmit signal or don't. This looks like some kind of processing error. You get red and greens but no blues. I doubt a cable can choose a color to drop.

I have the same receiver (refurb). Ironically all 3 receivers I have are refurbs and all 3 (well, 2 at least) have issues but very hard to catch during recertification. Onkyo's HDMI board crapped out eventually. Denon's headphone input had a dead channel (didn't catch it until after the warranty was over). This Yamaha loses handshake in the middle of a movie and start flashing black screen on/off for a minute (I initially thought it was Sony's fault but now I start to suspect Yamaha... not sure). I haven't had this happen in the last 5-7 movies or so but I'm still on guard. I think HDMI ports are the first thing to go with receivers. Next time you get this artefact don't panic. Turn on the green pattern on the PJ from the remote. If it shows good, it's the signal, not something within PJ most likely. Then while movie is running, simply turn off/on the receiver and see if the image restores.

Or, the best thing, pause the movie... while it's still f'd up, diconnect and reconnect HDMI cable to your pj. If the image is still messed up, see if there's something else you can hookup to that HDMI cable... like a small TV or a computer monitor. Just bring it over and hook it up and see if you get the same messed up picture.

I bet it's the Yamaha that is at fault.


Thanks.. will look forward to testing this..if it happens again with the replacement...

but why do you think receiver does this when Sony Projector is on and it works fine when I am using it now with my old projector... confused..
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #461 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,367
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Cyborg how long were your HDMI cables? Are they the same brand/ model? Cable length can be an issue with HDMI. When you get your next projector test your system with short cables less 6 feet. If it work with the short cables and not the long cables you have a problem with your longer cables. If it doesn't work with the short cables try various settings in your equipment, like turning off Deep Color.


Nuieve with the Yamaha it is probably an HDMI cable problem. Do you happen to have long cables going to the projector? Yamaha is one of the few companies that actually gets their products tested by HDMI/ HDCP. You can try turning off monitor check in the advanced menu of the Yamaha's and see if that helps. What you describe sounds like a problem on the EDID wire of the HDMI cable. Although many think it is only ones and zeros which is true, but those ones and zeros are affected by the impedance, capacitance and timing of the cable. There is a difference in cables and problems tend to happen with longer lengths, although problems can happen at shorter lengths it is just not common. That's why I test systems with short cables when there is a problem.
Ellebob is offline  
post #462 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Cyborg how long were your HDMI cables? Are they the same brand/ model? Cable length can be an issue with HDMI. When you get your next projector test your system with short cables less 6 feet. If it work with the short cables and not the long cables you have a problem with your longer cables. If it doesn't work with the short cables try various settings in your equipment, like turning off Deep Color.


Nuieve with the Yamaha it is probably an HDMI cable problem. Do you happen to have long cables going to the projector? Yamaha is one of the few companies that actually gets their products tested by HDMI/ HDCP. You can try turning off monitor check in the advanced menu of the Yamaha's and see if that helps. What you describe sounds like a problem on the EDID wire of the HDMI cable. Although many think it is only ones and zeros which is true, but those ones and zeros are affected by the impedance, capacitance and timing of the cable. There is a difference in cables and problems tend to happen with longer lengths, although problems can happen at shorter lengths it is just not common. That's why I test systems with short cables when there is a problem.
the first cable was I believe close to 25 feet long.. but it is very sturdy and very thick ... not sure what brand..plug back the same cable into my existing projector no issues of losing any color in the image being projected.. the second one i used was close to 4 or 6 feet long.. and still i faced same issue.. i think i should have kept the projector to trouble shoot more on to confirm if they were cables or receiver or the projector itself..as I didn't try the cable directly with projector removing the receiver in between...but as sale period is ending soon I wanted to get more time on the next exchange unit to test... the firs tunit I had already put in like 16 hours I believe in my 2-3 days of ownership and it was fine until the 15th hour and started to give this issue.. do you guys suggest to go crutchfield way, who provide 60 day return period or exhcnage period per unit if anything goes wrong... also anyone know if say have to exchange projector after the sale is over resellers/dealers will still let us do, without us paying extra for the projector if something happens to projector after sale period..? I think they should still exchange unit at old price we paid.. just want to confirm..

but as of now receiver is working fine.. same cable is working fine on other projector so that confuses me.. However I will get a new HDMI cable if needed... but want to check what type of cable are you guys using ?

TIA
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #463 of 1565 Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,367
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
At 10.2gbs 25feet is about max length, with HDMI 2.0 @ 18gbs 15 feet is about max length before needing active cables. If you were having problems with a 6 foot cable it was either a setting or the equipment but unlikely the cable. You did the right thing by returning the projector.


Most dealers will exchange no problem but they have to go by the manufacturers guidelines or they will eat the cost. With Sony they let dealers exchange them if it is within 30or 60 days, I forget if it is 30 or 60. After that Sony sends them out for repair. Some dealers may pick up the cost of shipping but it is not required. Our company if we did the install and is under warranty, we will ship out the projector and give the customer a loaner while it is being repaired. The flipside to that is we no longer do it for Sony due to the number of units we have had to send out for repair and the long turn around times. There are some exceptions like a Sony 1100 but the lower end models we pretty much stopped carrying:-(
Ellebob is offline  
post #464 of 1565 Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
At 10.2gbs 25feet is about max length, with HDMI 2.0 @ 18gbs 15 feet is about max length before needing active cables. If you were having problems with a 6 foot cable it was either a setting or the equipment but unlikely the cable. You did the right thing by returning the projector.


Most dealers will exchange no problem but they have to go by the manufacturers guidelines or they will eat the cost. With Sony they let dealers exchange them if it is within 30or 60 days, I forget if it is 30 or 60. After that Sony sends them out for repair. Some dealers may pick up the cost of shipping but it is not required. Our company if we did the install and is under warranty, we will ship out the projector and give the customer a loaner while it is being repaired. The flipside to that is we no longer do it for Sony due to the number of units we have had to send out for repair and the long turn around times. There are some exceptions like a Sony 1100 but the lower end models we pretty much stopped carrying:-(
Thanks for the suggestion..

I think I will get this just a buffer.. and after looking at these cables.. I can say my first cable which is 25 feet long is also as thick as this one.. I will try to find what brand it is...


interesting post
interesting post 2

Edit:
Actually just ordered this one..

Last edited by Cyborg_Optoma; 05-25-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #465 of 1565 Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,367
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
28 gauge is tough for that length. It might work because if using 1080P you are using less than 1/2 the bandwidth of the 10gbsHDMI 1.4 spec, but I doubt it would work in the future for 4K, higher bit rates, etc. DPL Labs is an independent company which does testing of cables. Their standards are stricter than HDMI spec. I tell people to try cheap and if it works great but sometimes cheap is just that. Although cost is not a good indicator either, there are some reasonably priced cables tat have passed testing. Again, check with short cables first. If you are looking for cables that have passed testing check here.
http://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-approved-products
Ellebob is offline  
post #466 of 1565 Old 05-25-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
The ultra slim redmere cables from monoprice work fine for me.
I have a 40' one with no issues. Much less stress on the connectors with these thinner cables.
badgerpilot is offline  
post #467 of 1565 Old 05-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
The ultra slim redmere cables from monoprice work fine for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
I have a 40' one with no issues. Much less stress on the connectors with these thinner cables.
Thanks for quoting forest's post.. lol not sure how I missed his post.. its on this same page.. still didn't notice.. its been only me updating this post making it look like another scary story for qc issues for sony.. haha.. not sure ...

let me get this cable too.. I already got cable from amazon for 6 feet the one i posted.. by media bridge
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #468 of 1565 Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,367
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Redmere/ active cables can go longer lengths, they have a tiny circuit in them to correct the capacitance problems that happen with longer lengths. It is also why they are directional and you have to plug the correct end into each piece of equipment. That circuit can also fail and be prone to surges. I'm reluctant to run them in a wall unless the cable can be changed easily if there is a problem.
Ellebob is offline  
post #469 of 1565 Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
Thanks for quoting forest's post.. lol not sure how I missed his post.. its on this same page.. still didn't notice.. its been only me updating this post making it look like another scary story for qc issues for sony.. haha.. not sure ...

let me get this cable too.. I already got cable from amazon for 6 feet the one i posted.. by media bridge
Not a problem! I miss lots too I replaced all of my cables with the RedMere cables, much less stress on the ports than the thick ones they replaced.
badgerpilot is offline  
post #470 of 1565 Old 05-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
Thanks for the suggestion..

I think I will get this just a buffer.. and after looking at these cables.. I can say my first cable which is 25 feet long is also as thick as this one.. I will try to find what brand it is...

interesting post
interesting post 2

Edit:
Actually just ordered this one..
Good.. I'm running a 30 feet non-redmere and it works fine..

Consider Nuieve's suggestion. Try first with the projector directly connected to source. Remove receiver from the chain to make sure it's a cable/projector issue before hooking receiver back up.

Best of luck!

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #471 of 1565 Old 05-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Member
 
DkKic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finishing my basement and am trying to figure out the throw distance. I am getting a 120" screen and am trying to figure out where to put the projector at
DkKic is offline  
post #472 of 1565 Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Member
 
lindino08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkKic View Post
I am finishing my basement and am trying to figure out the throw distance. I am getting a 120" screen and am trying to figure out where to put the projector at
Take a look here. This should be all you need.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm
lindino08 is offline  
post #473 of 1565 Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Member
 
Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine is mounted 15 feet back from a 120 inch screen. The ideal range is 15-16 feet, if possible in your room. Great projector; enjoy it.
Husky is offline  
post #474 of 1565 Old 05-27-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Finally was able to set everything up and mess with the settings. Couldn't get things perfect but pretty close. The picture is awesome. A huge improvement over my Optoma hd72. I think black levels are even better. The Sony throws a very sharp and vibrant picture. It's better than my 46" plasma I have upstairs. Really no complaints except the remote doesn't seem to have much range. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase. Will try 3d this weekend.
keeper is offline  
post #475 of 1565 Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 AM
Member
 
Buckeye Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What is the ideal height range to ceiling mount this PJ (in relation to the top of the screen)?

Also, any recommendations on a good ceiling mount?

Thank you!
Buckeye Dave is offline  
post #476 of 1565 Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 77
http://www.projectorpeople.com/Sanus...ccessory/21603


Check this mount! I have it with my Panny 2000. My new Sony 40es will arrive tomorrow. This mount can be used on Sony.
kwok lau is offline  
post #477 of 1565 Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all, I just purchased the 40ES a few days ago and was wondering how closely I can mount it to the back wall given the rear intake?
HCepero is offline  
post #478 of 1565 Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Member
 
realcodeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is light loss at max throw distance a concern?

I just ordered a VPL-HW40ES tonight. Projector Central indicates that light loss can occur when the projector is positioned at the maximum throw distance. The max distance for this projector throwing at a 110" screen is 17'3". If my room is totally dark, do I need to be concerned about installing it at that distance, or would I be better served moving it forward a few feet?

Last edited by realcodeguy; 05-28-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
realcodeguy is offline  
post #479 of 1565 Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I also recently used the zone feature and I also like the results.

I was asking this in another thread actually. I did a panel alignment using the grid because the left/top was showing a severely misaligned RED. I had to move the red panel 7-8 steps in the worst parts. What I was concerned with was whether activating panel alignment introduces any unwanted side effects such as input lag, artefacts etc. It looks much sharper and better now after I did the panel alignment.. do I need to worry about side effects though ?


1000
1000 is offline  
post #480 of 1565 Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcodeguy View Post
I just ordered a VPL-HW40ES tonight. Projector Central indicates that light loss can occur when the projector is positioned at the maximum throw distance. The max distance for this projector throwing at a 110" screen is 17'3". If my room is totally dark, do I need to be concerned about installing it at that distance, or would I be better served moving it forward a few feet?
-----------------------------------
I suggest you to do testing physically yourself before mounting to ceiling. Enter screen size, gain, distance between screen/projector etc. at the Calculator Pro to get some idea (recommendation) on the worksheet. Here is the webpage:-
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm


I am expecting my Sony 40es to arrive today.


Kwok
kwok lau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
computer , hw40es , Sony , VPL-HW40ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off