Official Sony VPL-HW40ES Owners/Settings Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 1602 Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,775
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole View Post
hey all, owner of a 40es, been having intermittent flickering since 200h+, coming up on 3k hours with my bulb


was planning on getting the a projector lamp experts bulb, however one thing i'm not clear on is this


during the same commercial, at one moment it will be in full flicker, but then a cut to a different scenery, it stops, then a few seconds later, its back. so it seems dependent on the screen


now, hopefully my understanding is correct, but isn't the bulb in either 'on or off' state. thus why would the screen content be affecting it's flickering? and thus, is replacing my bulb a waste?


ive heard those who have said that just the cooling of the unit may just be one of the key areas, so perhaps fitting a 140mm fan piping into the back could help cool the unit with minimal noise as an alternative?



anyway, just holding out until a sub $2k project with 4k becomes available i'll be holding onto the 40es
Same expereince for me. Can really notice when image is white. I go through a lot of bulbs and have gotten a lot of use out of this PJ. Was hoping Sony would update their line but it doesn't appear they have any interest in that.
keeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 1602 Old 12-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
baloo_btru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
One word of warning the panel degradation on these Sony's is most prevalent in projectors that are not used for long periods of time. A projector of this age with only 60 hrs on it sends up a red flag. So hopefully you can view it in action before purchase.
So I got the projector and set it up. I'm happy to report it looks really good, just in my testing on a bluish grayish wall not even on a screen.

This should be good enough to tide me over for a while. Of course 5 min after I bought it there's someone selling a 285es for $2300 on here with a full warranty.

I almost bought that one anyway but I really want to wait and see what comes out next year with different light sources and maybe even go dlp.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
baloo_btru is offline  
post #1593 of 1602 Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Repdetect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sony LAMP-H202 for HW-40 ES

I have owned an HW-40 ES for several years and have suffered the replacement lamp issues as discussed here.

Check out my review of the SpArc Platinum for Sony LMP-H202 on Amazon, under DECKARD name. Posted 1-7-20

There's some hope for a reasonable priced lamp that performs close or the same as the Sony.

I am not affiliated with SpArc in any way.

Good luck.

Sony HW40 ES, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/ Classico CL-C Center/ 2-CL-10 Subs/ Classico CL-2 surrounds, Yaqin 100B, Topping D50S, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Roku Ultra, Silver Ticket 110" White Screen 
All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
Repdetect is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1594 of 1602 Old 01-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Agrajag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post
I have owned an HW-40 ES for several years and have suffered the replacement lamp issues as discussed here.

Check out my review of the SpArc Platinum for Sony LMP-H202 on Amazon, under DECKARD name. Posted 1-7-20
Link? I looked on Amazon and there's only a single review that isn't yours.
Agrajag is offline  
post #1595 of 1602 Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,839
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post
I have owned an HW-40 ES for several years and have suffered the replacement lamp issues as discussed here.

Check out my review of the SpArc Platinum for Sony LMP-H202 on Amazon, under DECKARD name. Posted 1-7-20

There's some hope for a reasonable priced lamp that performs close or the same as the Sony.

I am not affiliated with SpArc in any way.

Good luck.
Thanks for the post. I've had my 40ES for years too and it's time for my 4th lamp on my 40ES. I've used the full lamp with housing from projectorlampexpers.com for two of my last two lamps and they have worked great. If I was going to replace just the bulb I might give SpArc a try.


Do they have the lamp with housing or just the bulb?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #1596 of 1602 Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Repdetect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Thanks for the post. I've had my 40ES for years too and it's time for my 4th lamp on my 40ES. I've used the full lamp with housing from projectorlampexpers.com for two of my last two lamps and they have worked great. If I was going to replace just the bulb I might give SpArc a try.


Do they have the lamp with housing or just the bulb?
They have both.

Lamp with housing is $85.

SpArc Platinum for Sony LMP-H202 Projector Lamp with Enclosure (Original Philips Bulb Inside)


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sony HW40 ES, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/ Classico CL-C Center/ 2-CL-10 Subs/ Classico CL-2 surrounds, Yaqin 100B, Topping D50S, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Roku Ultra, Silver Ticket 110" White Screen 
All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
Repdetect is offline  
post #1597 of 1602 Old 01-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Repdetect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
Link? I looked on Amazon and there's only a single review that isn't yours.
i just posted it this morning.

Should come up soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sony HW40 ES, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/ Classico CL-C Center/ 2-CL-10 Subs/ Classico CL-2 surrounds, Yaqin 100B, Topping D50S, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Roku Ultra, Silver Ticket 110" White Screen 
All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
Repdetect is offline  
post #1598 of 1602 Old 01-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
dslunceford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: No. VA/D.C.
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post
i just posted it this morning.

Should come up soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Still not seeing the review, but my assumption is you rated positively

On my original bulb after 5 years of use, so worth trying for $85. What's the price ProjectorLampExperts was charging? They make you log-in and/or call to get a price....

Edit: bought....is there a good how-to on how to switch out? My ceiling mount is a bit of a PITA, so not looking forward to pulling down and putting back up. Want to ensure I know how to swap out. Also wow, how old is my sig here )

Last edited by dslunceford; 01-13-2020 at 02:22 PM.
dslunceford is offline  
post #1599 of 1602 Old 01-13-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,839
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Still not seeing the review, but my assumption is you rated positively

On my original bulb after 5 years of use, so worth trying for $85. What's the price ProjectorLampExperts was charging? They make you log-in and/or call to get a price....

Edit: bought....is there a good how-to on how to switch out? My ceiling mount is a bit of a PITA, so not looking forward to pulling down and putting back up. Want to ensure I know how to swap out. Also wow, how old is my sig here )
It's super easy to replace the lamp and because of the lamps location you probably don't need to take it down. Check our page 57 & 58 of the manual https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../45347611M.pdf

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #1600 of 1602 Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Repdetect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sony LMP-H202 for HW-40 ES

Review finally up- DECKARD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sony HW40 ES, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo Classico CL-4/ Classico CL-C Center/ 2-CL-10 Subs/ Classico CL-2 surrounds, Yaqin 100B, Topping D50S, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Roku Ultra, Silver Ticket 110" White Screen 
All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."
Repdetect is offline  
post #1601 of 1602 Old 01-18-2020, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
dslunceford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: No. VA/D.C.
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
It's super easy to replace the lamp and because of the lamps location you probably don't need to take it down. Check our page 57 & 58 of the manual https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../45347611M.pdf
My Chief mount is pretty tight to ceiling, so had to take down, but was easy swap from there. Looks good, no more flicker (so far). I’ve left it on high for now.

Should I look to lower lamp to low after x # of hours? I can’t remember whether or not a break in period was recommend for this as I first set up over 5 years ago and it’s been pretty set and forget.
dslunceford is offline  
post #1602 of 1602 Old 01-18-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,839
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
My Chief mount is pretty tight to ceiling, so had to take down, but was easy swap from there. Looks good, no more flicker (so far). I’ve left it on high for now.

Should I look to lower lamp to low after x # of hours? I can’t remember whether or not a break in period was recommend for this as I first set up over 5 years ago and it’s been pretty set and forget.
Some say to leave it on high for the first 100 or 200 hours to seat the bulb and lesson the chance for flicker. I've never done this and I'm on my 3rd lamp without any problems.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
computer , hw40es , Sony , VPL-HW40ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off