Official Sony VPL-HW40ES Owners/Settings Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 391Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 1629 Old 06-29-2020, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
No changes. All I’ve done for the past year or two is turn it on and off to watch movies or play games.

It does sound like handshake issues to me as well. I’ll try the other port. That’s a good idea, and much easier than fishing in a new HDMI cable.

Speaking of, any suggestions on a good HDMI cable should I end up needing to replace it? I’ve read the Monoprice cables are questionable. I would need to measure the cable that’s on there now to be sure, but it’s probably 20’ or better.
For longer lengths I think you need to go fibre just for the integrity of the signal and irrespective of resolution. Ruipro are good.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Archibald1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 1629 Old 06-30-2020, 11:03 AM
DrA
Advanced Member
 
DrA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 47
plastic front lens replacement

My cleaning lady used a harsh chemical on the lens and now it is useless. where can I find a replacement? Do you think polishing will help the foggy central area? I didn't know the lens was plastic.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.

Last edited by DrA; 06-30-2020 at 11:33 AM.
DrA is offline  
post #1623 of 1629 Old 06-30-2020, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Can you guy so 3D on your HW40ES?

I tried on mine and it was awful and un-useable. VERY dim. this on an ALR Screen.

Display: 77'' CX LG OLED, Valve Index, Sony PJ + Draper React 3.0 ALR
Audio: Arendal 1723S Tower S, 1723S Centre, 1723S Surrounds, KEF Q50a, BK Monolith Plus
Powered by: RTX 2080/8086k, Denon AVR, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
aoaaron is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1624 of 1629 Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
My cleaning lady used a harsh chemical on the lens and now it is useless. where can I find a replacement? Do you think polishing will help the foggy central area? I didn't know the lens was plastic.
Can you post any pictures of the damage?

What on earth was she doing touching a projector lens anyway?

It may be easier to get the cleaner to pay to get a new lens fitted at a Sony service centre. Does she have public liability insurance?
DrA likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Archibald1 is online now  
post #1625 of 1629 Old 07-07-2020, 02:50 PM
DrA
Advanced Member
 
DrA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Can you post any pictures of the damage?

What on earth was she doing touching a projector lens anyway?

It may be easier to get the cleaner to pay to get a new lens fitted at a Sony service centre. Does she have public liability insurance?
Hi Archibald1,
here is the picture.

Also I left my PJ on then she was just trying to clean the lens with an alcohol based liquid. Do you think the fumes got sucked in and damaged the polarizer or the panels? Will removing the lens coating or damaging the plastic lens can cause the cross hatch artifact and blurriness? I am hoping that only the lens is damaged because I found the whole Sony OPTICAL UNIT ASSEMBLY from an older model. I can just replace the lens. Can't find a new OPTICAL UNIT ASSEMBLY for this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3863.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	2754402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	2754404  

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.

Last edited by DrA; 07-07-2020 at 03:00 PM.
DrA is offline  
post #1626 of 1629 Old 07-07-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Hi Archibald1,
here is the picture.

Also I left my PJ on then she was just trying to clean the lens with an alcohol based liquid. Do you think the fumes got sucked in and damaged the polarizer or the panels? Will removing the lens coating or damaging the plastic lens can cause the cross hatch artifact and blurriness? I am hoping that only the lens is damaged because I found the whole Sony OPTICAL UNIT ASSEMBLY from an older model. I can just replace the lens. Can't find a new OPTICAL UNIT ASSEMBLY for this model.
Hi.
I actually meant pictures of the lens itself.

Alcohol based liquid should evaporate if left, but if the unit was on when it was cleaned and the lens was warm then it could leave a sort of hardened residue.

The pictures you posted look like nothing I have seen before. I can't see fumes doing that but maybe some liquid in the form of mist got in somehow.

When you say you have found an optical assembly for an earlier model, which model is it? If it is from an earlier HW,. then chances are the lens should swap with yours, but it is by no means certain. As to your actual symptoms, the grid looks well focussed for a lens that is cloudy. The images tend to suggest that something else in the optical path is afoot. Or even maybe a processor issue.

Try disconnecting the unit from the mains for 30 minutes, to see if it changes anything when plugged back in.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Archibald1 is online now  
post #1627 of 1629 Old 07-07-2020, 09:03 PM
DrA
Advanced Member
 
DrA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
I actually meant pictures of the lens itself.

Alcohol based liquid should evaporate if left, but if the unit was on when it was cleaned and the lens was warm then it could leave a sort of hardened residue.

The pictures you posted look like nothing I have seen before. I can't see fumes doing that but maybe some liquid in the form of mist got in somehow.

When you say you have found an optical assembly for an earlier model, which model is it? If it is from an earlier HW,. then chances are the lens should swap with yours, but it is by no means certain. As to your actual symptoms, the grid looks well focussed for a lens that is cloudy. The images tend to suggest that something else in the optical path is afoot. Or even maybe a processor issue.

Try disconnecting the unit from the mains for 30 minutes, to see if it changes anything when plugged back in.
Thanks for your encouragements. I went up there and was trying to take a picture for you and
I diagnosed the problem with 100% certainty. It is the lens. When I rotate the focus ring the artifact turns with it. The lens looks not shiny in the middle. Maybe these plastic lenses or their coatings are not resistant to alcohol.
The Optical Unit Assembly in the picture is for VPLHW30ES. Both 30 and 40 models have 1.6 zoom lenses and look the same. It is around 10 times cheaper than my 40ES's current market value so it is worth to try to swap the lenses right? After my new 295 comes on this Friday, I will take this down and play with it. I heard there is a high voltage risk though. I am OK with work like this. I built all my PCs and HTPCs. I wish PJs have interchangeable front lens capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	2754546  
Archibald1 likes this.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.

Last edited by DrA; 07-07-2020 at 10:00 PM.
DrA is offline  
post #1628 of 1629 Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Thanks for your encouragements. I went up there and was trying to take a picture for you and
I diagnosed the problem with 100% certainty. It is the lens. When I rotate the focus ring the artifact turns with it. The lens looks not shiny in the middle. Maybe these plastic lenses or their coatings are not resistant to alcohol.
The Optical Unit Assembly in the picture is for VPLHW30ES. Both 30 and 40 models have 1.6 zoom lenses and look the same. It is around 10 times cheaper than my 40ES's current market value so it is worth to try to swap the lenses right? After my new 295 comes on this Friday, I will take this down and play with it. I heard there is a high voltage risk though. I am OK with work like this. I built all my PCs and HTPCs. I wish PJs have interchangeable front lens capabilities.
That is something then. Nailing down the issue makes it much easier to know what needs doing. Looks like a coating has been taken off the front of the lens. Or worse whatever was used even took some material off the front of the lens.

The chassis between the 30 and the 40 are essentially identical. So you would only have to remove the lens (carefully as any ribbon cable connected to it will be fragile.
The lens is mounted with the four screws I have indicated on your picture.
With the lid and front panel off, you 'should' be able to remove the lens on its own and swap them over.

Good luck with it and take your time. Easier to do of course if you have another projector coming!

See your Private Messages too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VPL-HW30 optical block amended.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2754820  
DrA likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.

Last edited by Archibald1; 07-08-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Archibald1 is online now  
post #1629 of 1629 Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Soxfan111111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apple TV issue, possibly lamp related?

So I am having a really strange problem that I cannot wrap my head around. I have the 40es projector, a 3rd generation AppleTV, a PS3, and a Roku Ultra.

I recently changed the lamp in the projector. As soon as I did that, I began having an issue with the AppleTV related to the image. It’s a very subtle stutter in the image. It’s silent, infrequent, inconsistent, and usually related to movement in the image. It’s like a millisecond-long skipping forward.

It happens with no other device except the AppleTV. It even happens if I switch out that older AppleTV with another recently purchased AppleTV 4K I have in another part of the house. It also doesn’t seem to ever happen while using Netflix. Only Amazon Prime and ITunes purchased movies that I can tell so far. The AppleTVs are fully up to date with their software. I did not have this issue prior to switching in the new lamp.

Can anyone make any possible sense out of this?
Soxfan111111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
computer , hw40es , Sony , VPL-HW40ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off