Official Sony VPL-HW40ES Owners/Settings Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 384Likes

post #211 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
It's not entirely clear if you're planning to mount it to the ceiling .. or are just measuring from the ceiling. For if it's the former, then P76 of the operating manual shows a picture of the projector when mounted to the Sony mount that they recommend and the distance between the ceiling and center of lens is about 10 3/4". Now it sounds like no-one uses the Sony mount .. but it's probably somewhat representative of a typical drop. So, if your top of screen is only 1 1/2" down, the center of the lens is going to be about 9 1/4" lower than the top of screen so your vertical lens shift is less than 50% compared to the max of 71% (assuming no horizontal shift being used).
If you're looking for more detail .. you're planning a 135" diagonal so the screen height would be about 66" in 16:9 mode so (66/2-9.25)/66 = about 34% lens shift which is only about half of the max.
The reason i'm asking is to see if it can help with picture quality and maybe fix my IR problem.I have a box in the ceiling I was wondering if that is interfering.

My Sony is about 9" from ceiling to center of lens. My screen is about 3" from ceiling to white part of screen. My screen is 135" 16:9.

Where would my Sony need to be to be almost center of lens on lens shift. I'm looking for a exact drop just for kicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	510729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	510737   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	510753   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01339_Custom_.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	510761   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01340_Custom_.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	510769  

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	510777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	510785  

Last edited by lespaulman; 01-29-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 100
3D

Anyone have the 40ES more than 5 meters from the screen who can also comment on 3D performance. I won't be able to get this closer than 6 meters. My dealer is offering me an outstanding price, but only good till Saturday.

Also, did anyone buy the 3D RF Transmitter (which will solve my problems) from XPAND (part # AD025-RF-X1-R1)?

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #213 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaulman View Post
The reason i'm asking is to see if it can help with picture quality and maybe fix my IR problem.I have a box in the ceiling I was wondering if that is interfering.
My Sony is about 9" from ceiling to center of lens. My screen is about 3" from ceiling to white part of screen. My screen is 135" 16:9.
Where would my Sony need to be to be almost center of lens on lens shift. I'm looking for a exact drop just for kicks.
Well, zero lens shift means the centerline of the lens is in the center of your screen .. so with a 66" screen height and a 3" offset, the center of your screen should be about 36" down from the ceiling. But your lens is currently 9" down so you'd have to drop it another 27" in order to eliminate the lens shift. You might be able to put it on a stepladder to do a quick test if your HDMI and power cables are long enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
Well, zero lens shift means the centerline of the lens is in the center of your screen .. so with a 66" screen height and a 3" offset, the center of your screen should be about 36" down from the ceiling. But your lens is currently 9" down so you'd have to drop it another 27" in order to eliminate the lens shift. You might be able to put it on a stepladder to do a quick test if your HDMI and power cables are long enough.

So if my picture quality looks amazing I don't really need to do anything. Is mine setup about average to anyone else in here. With that much lens shift I'm using. I didn't have much problems setting it up but I have the problem of the lines at bottom not being even like someone else in here. look at bottom left and right on picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	510881  
post #215 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I hope it hasn't been answered because I couldn't find it, but it seems like my 40 goes into an overheat mode once in a while. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. The projector is hanging from the ceiling in the open so airflow isn't an issue. Input source doesn't matter. It will shut off green light will flash until it powers back on, then work fine. Until the next time it powers down anyways. Any ideas?
post #216 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It would be nice to have people actually share some settings in this thread. Anyone want to post any settings they think are working great?
post #217 of 1561 Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaulman View Post
So if my picture quality looks amazing I don't really need to do anything. Is mine setup about average to anyone else in here. With that much lens shift I'm using. I didn't have much problems setting it up but I have the problem of the lines at bottom not being even like someone else in here. look at bottom left and right on picture.
I don't know if you've been following the main thread lately but there's some discussions starting at post #2338 about a similar scenario. To be honest, this isn't the first time I'd heard the question and although I didn't notice it (probably because I'm just projecting onto a painted wall at the moment), after some investigation I discovered mine was doing something similar. I'm at around 50% lens shift so I wouldn't be surprised at a slight distortion but it doesn't bother me at all and doesn't detract from the viewing experience. But then I'm not particularly OCD and the overall experience so far has exceeded my expectations .. so to me, it's just a nit at this point.
BDUB619 likes this.
post #218 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
It would be nice to have people actually share some settings in this thread. Anyone want to post any settings they think are working great?
Here are mine (from page 1 of this thread). They work great in my small dark movie room but your mileage may vary...

My room is a small converted spare bedroom, 9.5' x 14' and PJ is 13' from screen, 7' high on a shelf on the back wall. Walls & ceiling are flat black. Screen is a 106" Silver Ticket cine-white.

Here are my settings and personal preferences:

Cinema Film 1 (Auto 2)
Reality Creation ON (but kept low at lvl 10 for both)
Cinema Pro Black - Low (ECO)
Motionflow / Motion Enhance - HIGH for video games & sports, LOW for tv & movies (and 3D)

Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 50
Color Temp. D65
Sharpness 5 (kept low because Reality Creation is turned ON)

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
post #219 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I already mentioned to lespaulman that my HW40 hangs much lower than his and I'm using very little lens shift and I get some barrel distortion as well. I don't think that's what he wanted to hear. It appears to be because of the cheaper lens quality that Sony uses and you don't really notice it with content. Does lens shift exacerbate the issue?? not sure but considering mine looks similar to leaspaulman's, I'm going to say it changes it very little. Maybe some lenses are better than others and it's a bit of a crapshoot for the severity of this effect from unit to unit???

There has to be some compromises with a $2000 projector. I wonder if their higher end models suffer from this as well?

edit:

This thing looks so good right out of the box...I've basically touched nothing. I only bumped brightness from 50 to 51 and set the gamma to 2.2 (I switched between the different gamma settings and can't remember which was default??). This is all in Ref and I switch between low and high lamp when needed. If the wife is watching TV with some lights on, I have it set to film1 on either high or low lamp....depending on the amount of ambient light. No setting changes for this. The odd time if she has full lights on I will have it in bright cinema. I have Reality Creation now turned off but do use a Darbee set to HD-45. I'm lighting up a 153" 16x9 Seymour xd acoustically transparent screen with a viewing distance ~14-15'.

I honestly don't think you need to do much to this projector. I still haven't used my calibrating software on it and I don't think I will.

Last edited by Crabalocker; 01-30-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #220 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Here are mine (from page 1 of this thread). They work great in my small dark movie room but your mileage may vary...

My room is a small converted spare bedroom, 9.5' x 14' and PJ is 13' from screen, 7' high on a shelf on the back wall. Walls & ceiling are flat black. Screen is a 106" Silver Ticket cine-white.

Here are my settings and personal preferences:

Cinema Film 1 (Auto 2)
Reality Creation ON (but kept low at lvl 10 for both)
Cinema Pro Black - Low (ECO)
Motionflow / Motion Enhance - HIGH for video games & sports, LOW for tv & movies (and 3D)

Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 50
Color Temp. D65
Sharpness 5 (kept low because Reality Creation is turned ON)
Nice, thanks. I'll check these out.
post #221 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
All,

Getting ready to put the electricity in the ceiling for the Sony 40es tomorrow (ordered today). The room is 12'4 x 17'10. Two rows of seating. I will be putting a 120" silver ticket screen in. Where should I mount the projector at (distance from front wall)? Per the calculator, throw Range is 11'10 to 18'10 with 14'6 being in the middle. Does it matter at all, or should i try to keep as far back as possible, maybe just one foot off back wall for breathing room (that would be putting the throw at 16'10). I don't know if its better to have it closer or further from screen for optimal image. New to PJs!

Thanks.
post #222 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all,

Need some help in determining where I should mount the electricity in the ceiling for the projector tomorrow? Ordered the Sony 40es today. Room is 12'4" by 17'10. Screen will be 120 silver ticket. Two rows of seating.

Per online calculator, throw range for the sony for 120" is 11'10 to 18'10 with 14'6 in the middle. This is my first projector so I don't know if its better to have projector closer to screen or further away. I guess I would prefer closer to back wall (maybe clearing a foot or so for breathing room) if it really doesn't matter.

THought? THanks!
post #223 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 PM

gatorkeith .. I think you'll find there is no consensus on exactly where to put it. The reason for putting it way back is typically to get to huge screen sizes but 120" shouldn't need that and the issue is that the farther back you put it, the less lumens you get off the screen which can be an issue with 3d and as the bulb dims. Being too close has it's own issues. I think you'll find if you read the rest of this thread that many people are in the 13-14' range
post #224 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Affordable Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieSpeed View Post
Can anybody give me advice on what the best budget mount and screen for this HW40ES would be? I just bought the projector and I'm on a budget lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorkeith View Post
Torn which mount to get...rather spend $40 vs $135...so just curious what you meant here? Thx.
The OmniMount ECS shelf is used by some avsforum members. I might end up buying it. Lots of happy Amazon reviewers are using it for heavy projectors like ours, and a couple even mention using it for subwoofers.

I planned to use the Monoprice 3010 ceiling bracket (looks the same as the QualGear QG-PM-002-WHT), but no matter how I rearranged the parts, it wouldn't adjust for our projector's center of gravity. The distance from the bracket arm to the projector's rear screw hole was either too short or too long.

Last edited by forest; 01-31-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: original suggestion proved unsuitable
post #225 of 1561 Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorkeith View Post
Hi all,

Need some help in determining where I should mount the electricity in the ceiling for the projector tomorrow? Ordered the Sony 40es today. Room is 12'4" by 17'10. Screen will be 120 silver ticket. Two rows of seating.

Per online calculator, throw range for the sony for 120" is 11'10 to 18'10 with 14'6 in the middle. This is my first projector so I don't know if its better to have projector closer to screen or further away. I guess I would prefer closer to back wall (maybe clearing a foot or so for breathing room) if it really doesn't matter.

THought? THanks!

Well I have a 135" fixed screen 16:9 and my Sony is at 13' 7" to front lens. My screen is very clear and a lot of lumens , I run on low bulb setting. I wouldn't go to 16'. Maybe 14' to 15'
3D looks amazing.
post #226 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,
Would you consider the below lens bend as acceptable?
both sides are level with the black border but it bends up in the centre
So far Sony say it’s within parameters

post #227 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

AMEN...I've seen three posts try to point this out and still questions about mounts, electrical, mounting distance, glasses, etc...which is all over at the Official Sony VPL-HW40ES topic. I've seen the same question posted here and there. Questions about 2D and 3D settings and possibly screens since they have a bearing on PQ and setting should be here only. Thank you....
post #228 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewilson10 View Post
it seems like my 40 goes into an overheat mode once in a while. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. The projector is hanging from the ceiling in the open so airflow isn't an issue. Input source doesn't matter. It will shut off green light will flash until it powers back on, then work fine. Until the next time it powers down anyways. Any ideas?
My ceiling-mounted Optoma projector does this when the wall heater in the same room is on, even when the air doesn't feel particularly hot to me. Maybe it has something to do with how fast the temperature near the ceiling changes? Maybe some units are more sensitive than others?
post #229 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post
AMEN...I've seen three posts try to point this out and still questions about mounts, electrical, mounting distance, glasses, etc...
To be fair, this one is titled "Owners/Settings Thread", and in English, a slash generally means "either this or that". Maybe there would be more focus here if the original poster made the title more clear. At least then people arriving via web searches with no time to read every old post would get the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post
which is all over at the Official Sony VPL-HW40ES topic.
As far as I know, this is the only HW40ES thread that says "Official" in the title. (It would carry more weight if there was a person officially in charge of declaring a thread "official". It's currently a meaningless designation.)

Newcomers wanting to discuss non-settings issues: I think you might want to go here.
post #230 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
This thing looks so good right out of the box...I've basically touched nothing. I only bumped brightness from 50 to 51 and set the gamma to 2.2 (I switched between the different gamma settings and can't remember which was default??). This is all in Ref and I switch between low and high lamp when needed. If the wife is watching TV with some lights on, I have it set to film1 on either high or low lamp....depending on the amount of ambient light. No setting changes for this. The odd time if she has full lights on I will have it in bright cinema. I have Reality Creation now turned off but do use a Darbee set to HD-45. I'm lighting up a 153" 16x9 Seymour xd acoustically transparent screen with a viewing distance ~14-15'.

I honestly don't think you need to do much to this projector. I still haven't used my calibrating software on it and I don't think I will.
Quote:

Totally agreed with Crabalocker.

Merkaba - you're asking for tweaks / settings but to my eyes, the built-in settings have been completely satisfying for 3 different scenarios. Film 1 / 2 for night viewing, BRT TV for daytime, and GAME for WiiU/Xbox One. Every viewing environment is different, and with the exception of perhaps tweaks for 3D and RC, there isn't much point IMO of cloning another users settings.

Specific to 3D and RC - haven't tried 3D yet, have a pair of the PS3 glasses charged and ready to go, with a pair of the Incredisonics coming today from Amazon. Haven't changed RC settings a lot but believe there has been feedback and screenshots from other users.
post #231 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question I have the convex bottom also, and terrible default convergence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
Hi Guys,
Mine is the same way, and I'd love to hear from other people whether that is just normal for this PJ. I contacted Sony, and they said it should not be like that. But then again, the Sony guy also said there was no way to fix the awful convergence that my PJ came with, so I have little faith in what their techs say.

The attached image shows how the convergence was on mine as it arrived (this is an "=" sign in large font in Notepad). Text anywhere on the screen had this problem.

I spent an hour or so adjusting the convergence after I found the setting myself ("Panel Alignment" in the Installation menu), and now it looks pretty good. But for how long...

So my question is this: Should I exchange this projector for a new one? I've only had it for one week, and I have approval to send it back to Sony for a replacement. But I'm told that turnaround will be a couple of weeks, and who knows what the next one will be like. Are there any known negatives to just using it as it is now that I've fixed the convergence? I'm worried about whatever strain/etc... I'm putting on the system that will lead to future issues (even just having to reconverge it once in a while). I'd rather go without it for 2 weeks now then have ongoing issues for the rest of the time I have it...

I'd really value other people's input here. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Convergence with default panel alignment.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	515473  
post #232 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 PM

I am using XBMC --> Denon S900W receiver --> PJ and when i watch 3D content the PJ does not switch to 3D mode automatically (it's set to auto). Is there a setting on the receiver that i need to change to make it tell the PJ that it's 3D? I'd like to not have to switch it back and forth if possible.
post #233 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Anyone have the 40ES more than 5 meters from the screen who can also comment on 3D performance. I won't be able to get this closer than 6 meters. My dealer is offering me an outstanding price, but only good till Saturday.

Also, did anyone buy the 3D RF Transmitter (which will solve my problems) from XPAND (part # AD025-RF-X1-R1)?
Make sure you can get some RF glasses you like if you get the Xpand transmitter. I've tried the x104s and I think they stink. Lots of crosstalk.

I have also had good luck with the IR on Sony glasses working pretty far back. My PJ is 14 ft from the screen and you can sit a few feet behind it with no sync problems. IR might still work for you.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #234 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I am using XBMC --> Denon S900W receiver --> PJ and when i watch 3D content the PJ does not switch to 3D mode automatically (it's set to auto). Is there a setting on the receiver that i need to change to make it tell the PJ that it's 3D? I'd like to not have to switch it back and forth if possible.
XBMC is not capable of building a 3d frame that the projector will detect automatically. I'm afraid you'll have to switch manually. It's unfortunate.
post #235 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
XBMC is not capable of building a 3d frame that the projector will detect automatically. I'm afraid you'll have to switch manually. It's unfortunate.
ah ok. at least i know now thanks man!
post #236 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

My sony is literally exactly like that. Mine is at the bottom and seems to come up slightly in the middle and back down on each side. I've been debating on what i should do. Send it back for replacement or not?
post #237 of 1561 Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Mine bends down a little. It isn't noticeable when I watching something though.
post #238 of 1561 Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I ended up temporarily placing the projector on a short table at the recommended 13' 5" distance for my 110" screen. Pulled up the green alignment pattern and it was all kinds of messed up. The bottom of my screen material is at 36" and the center of the projector lens was 25". I ended up putting it on a taller table since it seemed that the vertical shift was almost maxed out. The center of the projector lens is now at 39.5". The pattern looks better, but the top left and right of the pattern are going off the screen. The center bottom is also bulging out a little. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Also, which green lines am I supposed to be trying to fit in the screen? I tried my best to align an image on the screen and then compare it to the green pattern and it always turns up way off. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #239 of 1561 Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Mine does the same thing, as does most everyones according to the main HW40ES thread. Most likely caused from lens shift. I just zoomed the image a hair and I can't tell that there is any image distortion when playing.
post #240 of 1561 Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 View Post
Mine does the same thing, as does most everyones according to the main HW40ES thread. Most likely caused from lens shift. I just zoomed the image a hair and I can't tell that there is any image distortion when playing.
lens shift is minimal, if at all.
taking it down later as going back to Sony tomorrow. so will play with image/distance/inverted etc and see what difference it makes.
Dealer says he has not seen it this bad before, but according to Sony their tollerance (not in any official brochure though) would be 2cm on a 120" screen!
also found out the lens is plastic and not glass, which surprised me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
computer , hw40es , Sony , VPL-HW40ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page