• 1 Post By infiniteengine

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pocket Projectors.

Hey all. this is my first post. so first off just wanted to say hi

Im in the military and Im wanting to use my ipad air and some sort of pocket projector to watch movies on base.. I really dont know much about these and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to buy or what not to buy.

Ive done some googling and 3M MP410 or vivitek qumi q5 looks pretty decent. if there is anything else I should look at, please let me know.. Im open to ideas.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

never heard of AAXA before but they seem to be #1 in all the top 10 list...
post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
AAXA spends a lot of money on advertising, but the reality is that they are like many others... They are making REALLY cheap (but decent) product, and your expectations should match. The brightness of almost every projector out there is over-stated. Much like the contrast. As well, you won't be in a 'theater' space, so your quality will be in line with the space you are using it in. That is, you can't walk into a poorly light controlled room, and shine up a 500 rated lumens (150 real world) projector, onto a wall and expect a great image at 100". But, you may have an acceptable 40" or so image. Acceptable in a lit room, but very good in a dark room. This is the fact of front projection - you can battle ambient light, but you don't beat it, and you battle it with lumens, which these models just don't have. Compare, by example, the BenQ W1070, which is actually capable of delivering a full 2,000 lumens if needed, or can deliver over 1,200 calibrated lumens. That's ten times the brightness that you should expect from these smaller models.

Still, if you don't have the room or ability to work with that larger, and frankly more fragile, projector, then a pocket projector may be a very good choice.

I would recommend the LG PF85U as a first choice as it will deliver some of the most significant lumens out there and is a 1080p model, unlike every other model on the market.

I would shoot for brightness...
http://aaxatech.com/products/m4_mobi...projector.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FS0Q7AodmEwAbg

There is a rather long list of similar models to that AAXA model from LG, Dell, Asus, InFocus, Viewsonic, and others.

I would start with THIS LIST:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...h=&td=&i=d&is=

Then see what other reviews are out there on Amazon and other sites.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"Pocket" projectors have had me hooked for a while now, especially being that I'm on on the road for long stretches of time. I was intriqued by the concept felt they were mostly a novelty until 200-500 lumen models started hitting the market. At that point I began doing my research and eventually ended up going with the Optoma ML500 AND the LG PA70G, the former first when I found great refurb price, and the LG because within a week there was an incredibly brief sale where the price was low enough that I knew I could easily flip it if without a loss should it not win my favor.

I don't want to start rambling about why I DIDN'T choose the LG because it was a fine projector, the short list includes the following but I felt its main weaknesses were a finicky focus that required certain very specific positioning a (#1 on the list because the the ability to have a large display on your person to be made use of nearly anywhere was a major factor that drove me into the market) and secondly SIZE a power brick rather than a standard 3 prong power cable like on the Optoma not only added weight, but just generally made use and carry more frustrating. All in all it wasn't much smaller than my far prefferrable HD66.

Even in moderate like the 500 lumen Optoma far exceeded my expectations, and though both were still not where their succcesors are today in terms of size, it was far more portable not just because of the smaller dimensions, but because of the slew of connection options including USB and microSD that made larger source components (i.e. my laptops) unnecessary in order to fully utilize all available features. Additionally, it took a three prong power, which was not longer heavy of nearly as bulk, not to mention the fact that if I left it at home, I could alwas garuntee SOMEONE would have one lying around the house. I was extremely happy with it for two years until it was stolen, which likely was the main factor in their decision to move away

It took me quite a while to get over have lost it, and I couldn't justify spending anything nearly so expensive for the third time riht awy. Last month I finally picked up the Optoma ML550 and while having to carry around another power brick is annoying, the size has been virtually cut in half, which I imagine is mostly what necessitated thei switch from the universal 3 prong power cord on the ML500. All other features remain in tact and the boosted lumen count just gives a little extra visibility when viewed in environments with less than ideal ambient light. If I were to purchase one right now it would like be the ML700, for the extra 150 lumens, though I've yet to need them the price difference (especially if you're okay with refurbs through Amazon Warehouse) is only about $70 from $360-380 for the ML550 to ~$440 for the ML700.

Being that these expeiences were with two of the three projectors that came out years ago it might seem like they'd be a bit irrelevant but not so much has changed in this semi-niche market. Nothing is over 1000 lumens and to my knowledge 1280x800 is still the nighest native resoluton. I have no personal experience with the Qumi's but they were definitely in the running when I was buying my first, and I can't point out any obvious drawbacks other than price.

Aaxa was one of the only other company's I researched going into my first portable that seemed to be getting a lot of positive attention, focusing on the even smaller, almost phone size pocket projectors, many of which had a (short lived) battery for even greater portability, even if not practical for watching more than half a move before being drained. I ultimately avoided them in favor of the brands I had grown to know and trust, especially with the price differences being fairly minimal for their 200-300 lumn models.

My end point/opinion definitely look into the Optoma ML550 and even more so ML700 if you budget allows it. I imagine it does if you were considering a Qumi, and personally, with the lamps being LED, I feel entirely comfortable buying refurbs when coming direct through amazon. If you continue looking at other models, I think the power cord versus power brick is also something I'd keep in mind given that ultimate portability is the goal of these projectors, and while the projector weights are usually right in your face on sites like Amazon, its easy to forget how much a power brick adds to something so small to begin with. Good luck with your search; if you have any questions about any other models I've had first hand experience with feel free to PM (I'm no expert, but I'll gladly try my best to answer any speficiic questions you might have.)

-elliott
Ftoast likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
I can add that anyone looking to play video from a USB or SDcard source should avoid the qumi7 and likely the other qumi's..The qumi7 adds some very ugly artifacts to video from those sources and is no brighter than other models measuring around 400lumens. It IS capable of going a little brighter at peak-white in exchange for dimming colors and sounding like a little blow-dryer, so that LED brilliantcolor setting is not good either.

I'd suggest to make sure the ml550 has an audio-out and make that the first look if it does.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I'd suggest to make sure the ml550 has an audio-out and make that the first look if it does.
That's actually the one very minor annoyance on the ML550; it comes with a cable that attaches to their "Universal I/O" split into a VGA and 3.5mm audio out. So far I've been unable to find JUST a 3.5mm connector from Optoma or 3rd Party that connects to that port. I just have the VGA part folded over and ziptied tight against the top part of the cable to keep it as out of the way as possible (I usually use my laptop over HDMI for video, and one of my portable boomboxes like the Creative Labs Roar on the aux audio), and though a little annoying to have to add any additional bulk to a device I own for its extremely portable form factor. As I said its only a very minor inconvenience, and not a functional one, just information I thought I would share since the question was raised.
Ftoast likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

wow. these replies are awesome.. thanks soo much for the help. Sorry it took a while to reply. I was away on exercise with the army and then traveled back home for xmas.

The ML750 looks really nice. It doesn't have an audio out directly on it.. I was thinking just connecting speakers to my ipad while using the projector.. Would there be a delay in the audio since its not streaming from the projector??

AV_Integrated suggested the LG PF85U. its a bit out of price range and maybe a bit to big.. The ML750 seems to be good. Good size and good picture. I might get this one this.

thanks so much!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

has anyone used the BenQ GP20? seems alright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page