Projector Selection for high ambient light room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dreamer

post #1 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector Selection for high ambient light room

I know, the best thing i can do would be to increase my light control. That is 100 percent not an option.

I currently use a bit of a light cannon- an optoma th1060p. This projector is listed at 4500 lumens but i highly doubt this claim, but haven't been able to find any good reviews as this is a mixed use projector . It seems that Optoma overestimates their lumen output on some models. I use an elite powergain screen at about 115" screen size from 13 ft back.

However i see a good amount of washout during the daytime. The contrast ratio is definitely low end at 2500:1.

Seeing online demos of LCD projectors they seem to be able to produce the best images in rooms with lots of ambient light such as mine. Is this due to their high contrast ratios?

I'm currently looking at the Epson HC3000 as I have a budget of about 1200. It seems their are some panasonics that combination of llumens and contrast also.

What others (past or present models) would you recommend currently for daytime viewing with a large amount of ambient light? I know its not going to be perfect- Once again light control is not an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Check out the Optoma HD36 (marketed as the HD151X sometimes) which delivers in excess of 2500 real-world reasonably-color-accurate lumens. It's brand new and doesn't seem easily available in the US quite yet.
It's not fantastic for darker environments (because it loses out on black levels, adds a bit of image noise and doesn't have brilliant sharpness and greyscale tracking - which similarly-priced competition tends to offer); but it is really, really bright; delivering close to its lumen claim.

Otherwise the Epson you mentioned also looks to be a good option for your environment.

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I wouldn't turn away from the benqw1070. It has plenty of brightness and the best color brightness you can get from a single chip DLP anywhere near it's price. Plus it's RBE is much better than any business class projector I've ever seen.
The Epson hc3000 is brighter still, has zero RBE, lens shift for easy placement, and has color brightness that no single chip DLP can match.
However, if you're used to the look of DLP, you may not like the look of a 3LCD projector. Which is why i still say the Benq1070 is the projector you should go for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
I wouldn't turn away from the benqw1070. It has plenty of brightness and the best color brightness you can get from a single chip DLP anywhere near it's price. Plus it's RBE is much better than any business class projector I've ever seen.
The Epson hc3000 is brighter still, has zero RBE, lens shift for easy placement, and has color brightness that no single chip DLP can match.
However, if you're used to the look of DLP, you may not like the look of a 3LCD projector. Which is why i still say the Benq1070 is the projector you should go for.
Optoma hd151, no question!
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Your only other option is something like a black Diamond screen. No matter how bright the projector is your black level will never be any darker then the screen is with the projector off. You just can't fight physics, consider a TV behind the screen for daytime viewing. Don't waist your money on another projector it won't make much difference in any kind of dark scenes, it might help with bright shows like sports and make them watchable.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 889
I second the hd36/151x if it's available.
As for an inexpensive black screen..How does $35 sound? I am of course self-promoting the link at the bottom of my post here.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any way to slightly darken my stretched canvas screen (stretched the screen material on a large frame i built myself). The powergain material is a silver gray- is there any way to very lightly spray paint it to darken it to a dark gray to improve contrast?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juandhi View Post
Is there any way to slightly darken my stretched canvas screen (stretched the screen material on a large frame i built myself). The powergain material is a silver gray- is there any way to very lightly spray paint it to darken it to a dark gray to improve contrast?
Def going to look into the HD36 though, these are great replies.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
I use an elite powergain screen at about 115" screen size from 13 ft back.
Oddly enough, Elite recommends a "low-output" DLP projector for use with this screen material. It may be the high lumens of your existing projector that is washing out your image. I would try just a neutral N5 grey flat paint rolled on a 24x36 posterboard with your current projector before you make any decision on a new projector. Or try Ftoast's mix for ambient light rejection.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Oddly enough, Elite recommends a "low-output" DLP projector for use with this screen material. It may be the high lumens of your existing projector that is washing out your image. I would try just a neutral N5 grey flat paint rolled on a 24x36 posterboard with your current projector before you make any decision on a new projector. Or try Ftoast's mix for ambient light rejection.
The problem is i have a rather nicely built screen with the screen stapled in. Is it possible to lightly spray the screen with paint to darken it? has anyone ever attempted such a thing?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
The problem is i have a rather nicely built screen with the screen stapled in. Is it possible to lightly spray the screen with paint to darken it? has anyone ever attempted such a thing?
I haven't seen any posts about painting that particular material, but other manufactured screens, yes. That was why I said to try some paints on plain posterboard. Having the set up against your screen so you can see how your projector looks on various materials might tell you whether painting the actual screen is a better solution than a new projector.
Ftoast likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #12 of 12 Old 12-04-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Plus it'd be a shame to accidentally ruin a nice or expensive screen (not sure how much yours cost or if you'll possibly love it again in the future as-is).
I doubt you can overdrive a screen to look washed-out. It'd just look like when you put the projector close to a white wall and have a tiny super bright image..bright, but colors and everything look super vibrant, not washed-out.

I'm guessing it's a light/white higher gain screen meant more for helping dimmer projectors in good rooms moreso than helping fight light in a bad room. It does help fight light better than a matte-white does, but a white screen would either want a metric TON of gain or an oddly narrow viewing-cone to do a noticeably better job fighting light.

I'd take dreamer's suggestion of trying tester panels of everything you can before spraying paint on your manufactured material.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page