Blown bulb - mercury vapor hazard
A few days ago, my wife and I were watching TV on our projector (which is mounted on the ceiling about 5 feet behind us). The projector (Optoma HD33) made a loud pop and the image went dark.
A little bit of research showed the likely cause: an exploded high pressure mercury bulb. The manual didn’t say anything about Mercury, so I just took the projector out of its mount and set it on a table in an adjacent room. When I opened it, the lamp had a housing and there was broken pieces of glass everywhere.
I took the housing and tipped it over to recover the broken glass before performing the disassembly to get to the bulb. I also vacuumed the inside of the projector as I saw a few pieces of glass had shattered inside of it.
As I got to the bulb, I realized there was a Hg symbol written on it. It is an Osram P-VIP bulb, which, if I’m not mistaken, houses about 30 mg of Hg, about 10x more than your typical CFL.
Now I’m worried about the following:
1) when the blow up happened, the projector was running, and so were its cooling fans. As far as I understand, when a bulb breaks in a running projector, Hg is in vapor form. I suspect the vapor got blown by the fans outside of the projector and got “sprinkled” in the living room around the projector (probably over my wife & I + more). Doors were closed (it was night time and cold).
2) the “sprinkled” area described above contains a playground for my 1 year old daughter. She spends a lot of time there, and close to the ground.
3) we did not vent the area (the living room is approx 50 m^3) until today (3 to 4 days later), where we aired/vented the whole house for about 1/2h (all windows open everywhere) – it’s winter time
4) the full house fan/heater has been running almost non stop since the breakage, potentially spreading Hg vapors around
1) not venting the area immediately
2) using a vacuum to get shards out of the projector
3) not knowing how to deal with a projector bulb explosion
I’m obviously concerned that my house may be contaminated to dangerous levels especially in areas near the projector (where the bulb exploded) which is where my 1 year old often plays.
It’s an 1800 sq ft house.
Because it wasn’t a spill (there is no visible Hg or beads or anything of the sort), it’s difficult for me to find “what to clean up”. It’s invisible.
Do I need to worry?
Is it worth measuring my family’s exposure (urine test?) and measure Hg levels in different parts of the house?
Maybe this is silly and it's unwarranted concern (I hope). If so, please tell me!
Your recommendations are highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance for your time.