Suggest 3D Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Suggest 3D Projector

My Optoma HD20 died - So i am in the market for new projector.
Looking to get 3D projector, Did some research and Optoma HD26 and BenQ w1070 or Epson 3020.
reason why i mentioned Optoma HD26 is becuase hopefully i wont have to move my ceiling mount and like how my optoma hd20 looked so may be its the same. Problem with Optoma hd26 is i would have to buy the 3d emitter and glasses (third Party) and not sure how 3d looks. also its hassle to buy the emitter and glasses, but i see it has vesa port, which i have no idea what is it, .
BenQ w1070 - $899 comes with 2 glasses in box, so it looks good option but its 3 year old from 2012 - soo not sure about that and newer w1070 model , HT1075 i hear is not impressive with its upgrade.
Epson 3020 , i read some reviews are better option then W1070.
So i am all confused. i wana stay in $1500 rage with 4 glasses.
Please suggest if there are other better options then these i mentioned above. or help me make decision with above models.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Epson also has the new HC3000 and HC3500 which are good for 3d.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If great 3D and very good 2 D is what you want, then keep you eye open for a used Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP. There was one on ebay in the last few weeks. If you are patient, you will not regret it. Do a search in the >$3K PJ Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
The W1070 is the best looking home theater projector under $1,500 on the market. It will look better than the HD26 and the 3020, period.

What is your current lens to screen distance and screen diagonal?

The HD20 can produce (for example) a 120" diagonal from between 13'1" and 15'9".

The W1070 can produce the same from between 10' and 13'1".

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

So, unless you are way up in your range, you would need to remount the projector to make the W1070 work.

The HD26 has similar zoom range to the HD20, but not exact, so you would want to take some measurements and see what fits.

The HD26 is not in the same quality category as the W1070, and really nothing else is going to look as good near that price point, but you should expect acceptable results from most projectors. Still, if you are used to the HD20, then LCD is likely to look considerably different, and not as nice overall.

Considering the sub $700 price point for the W1070, I would buy it, move the cables myself, then pay someone to patch the holes, buy 4 pairs of these...
http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-...070+3d+glasses
...and still come out for under $1,500.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The W1070 is the best looking home theater projector under $1,500 on the market. It will look better than the HD26 and the 3020, period.

The HD20 can produce (for example) a 120" diagonal from between 13'1" and 15'9".

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

So, unless you are way up in your range, you would need to remount the projector to make the W1070 work.

The HD26 has similar zoom range to the HD20, but not exact, so you would want to take some measurements and see what fits.

The HD26 is not in the same quality category as the W1070, and really nothing else is going to look as good near that price point, but you should expect acceptable results from most projectors. Still, if you are used to the HD20, then LCD is likely to look considerably different, and not as nice overall.

Considering the sub $700 price point for the W1070, I would buy it, move the cables myself, then pay someone to patch the holes, buy 4 pairs of these...
http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-...070+3d+glasses
...and still come out for under $1,500.
AV_Integrated helped me with my decision before and after testing other options, I can say he is right on the money. I love my W1070. Of course I wouldnt mind deeper blacks but that is going to cost a LOT more to surpass this gem.

Projector: JVC DLA-RS520
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
post #6 of 15 Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Thanks AV for the detailed reply.

the only reason i am hesitant with w1070 that its 4 years old - and HD26 just came.

I have 120" screen and My HD20 was mount 14.3 away.

Please Google " MrAsimOnline Theater" - The top link would be for my youtube video tour of my setup i made few years back.

Also been reading more, and Saw Optoma HD25-LV - That is also 2 year old, i would not even have to move my Mount, as its the same throw distance as HD20.

I am just so confused.

Also you said """" Still, if you are used to the HD20, then LCD is likely to look considerably different, and not as nice overall.""" What does this mean, mean HD26 is different technology then HD20 ?

Would HD25-LV be the better option, if i wanna stay with it.

and i see Best best has BenQ w1070 with 2 glases for $899.

And newer model of w1070 is HT1075 , which is also $899 but no glasses.

Where as Optoma HD25-Lv is $1200 , no glasses or emitter, that is another $175.

I have samsung 46" LED TV - and if u see movie on it, it looks comepltely different, mean smooth moving, i didnt see that on projector, so was wondering if may be new technology have same smoothness in picture motion.

Hope u can help me further.

I dont mind moving mount back or forth as i have that option, but i want the best bang for the buck, and coming from HD20 - want something that look as close to that if not good.

Thanks
post #7 of 15 Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAsimOnline View Post
Thanks AV for the detailed reply.

the only reason i am hesitant with w1070 that its 4 years old - and HD26 just came.
Well, that's stupid.

Just kidding.

Let me tell you why the age doesn't matter...

The W1075 is 'brand new' from BenQ, but it is barely improved upon the W1070. The HD26 IS new, but it isn't better. That's the problem. The reviews flat out say that the W1070 is better, and while the 'newer' W1075 adds a couple of features, it doesn't actually look any better, so the W1070 remains the best value on the market for a projector which looks absolutely stunning for the price. You can get the W1075 if you want to spend more, but not get any more quality. Or you can get the HD26 if you want to spend less and get lower image quality.

Quote:
I have 120" screen and My HD20 was mount 14.3 away.

Please Google " MrAsimOnline Theater" - The top link would be for my youtube video tour of my setup i made few years back.
One huge issue I see with this that bugs me a lot is that you are currently tilting your projector upwards. This means you are using digital keystone correction and you aren't using your full 1920x1080 resolution when projecting. This is a huge issue IMO because you should never do this with a projector. You should mount your projector so it is level, and then have the screen the proper distance under it for an accurate image.

Quote:
Also been reading more, and Saw Optoma HD25-LV - That is also 2 year old, i would not even have to move my Mount, as its the same throw distance as HD20.
Many of the Optoma models share the same throw distance, but all of their cheaper models use a 2x color wheel which doesn't compare to the W1070 (or W1075) model. So, unrealistic brightness claims, and color balance which is weaker than the W1070. ALL of the Optoma models look very similar, because they share extremely similar internal design. A few more inputs and a different lamp in some models, but extremely similar image quality.

Don't be confused, the HD25-LV or the HD26, or any similar Optoma model will perform very close to each other and you may not have to move your projector forward/backward to make it work. You STILL may have to move it left/right depending on the lens location on the chassis, and you may have to move it up/down depending on the offset.

Understand... None of these models 'suck', they just have differences in design and the BenQ models do it a little bit better.

Quote:
Also you said """" Still, if you are used to the HD20, then LCD is likely to look considerably different, and not as nice overall.""" What does this mean, mean HD26 is different technology then HD20 ?
You mentioned the 3020 from Epson. Epson uses LCD technology in that projector so it may not be ideal.

Quote:
Would HD25-LV be the better option, if i wanna stay with it.
As I mentioned above, it will look similar.

Quote:
and i see Best best has BenQ w1070 with 2 glases for $899.
You can get the W1070 online for under $700 and four pairs of glasses for about $30 a pair for very good glasses. Similar pricing.

Quote:
And newer model of w1070 is HT1075 , which is also $899 but no glasses.
Plenty of discussion of the W1070 vs. W1075 - No real image quality improvement to the W1075, so I wouldn't spend more for it.

Quote:
Where as Optoma HD25-Lv is $1200 , no glasses or emitter, that is another $175.
Also, an image that doesn't look as good. Not my first choice.

Quote:
I have samsung 46" LED TV - and if u see movie on it, it looks comepltely different, mean smooth moving, i didnt see that on projector, so was wondering if may be new technology have same smoothness in picture motion.
I'm not sure what you are speaking of, but every time I see a picture that someone tells me looks 'smooth' - I think it looks like garbage. Very unnatural. LCD uses motion smoothing to remove blur from the image, and that is NOT natural IMO. Cheap projectors tend to not have this function.

Quote:
I dont mind moving mount back or forth as i have that option, but i want the best bang for the buck, and coming from HD20 - want something that look as close to that if not good.
The Optoma models will all look similar, the W1070 will look a bit better.

A huge issue is that you aren't addressing the position of the projector at all. The projector being behind a soffit, down under it, with the screen up high completely kills your ability to get an image on screen in the proper location. You would need a projector with significant lens shift, or you would need to lower the screen.

What is your distance from the FRONT of the soffit to the screen? 7 feet? 6 feet? More? Less? You may want to consider the W1080ST as an option.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-18-2015, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for clearing up confusion bud.

I cant find w1070 for less then 700 - cheapest i see on shopbot is $849 - May be US $700 u meant - i am in Canada

I will get the w1070 from bestbuy - and test it out and let u know.

i was tilting the projector to get the image on screen align, i still get or have the resolution set to 1920 by 1080 , not sure what you meant by not using full 1920 * 1080.

either way, if i am getting w1070, i would have to move it forward and mount it on the cieling that is below the top ceiling so wont have to tilt.

Will let you know how it goes . Thanks
post #9 of 15 Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Another thing to keep in mind about LCD projectors: if you're used to DLP 3D, you will probably be unhappy with the 3D out of any liquid crystal based display. I realize I'm probably overly sensitive to crosstalk, but the crosstalk on LCD made it totally unwatchable for me. On the other hand, I'm basically incapable of seeing RBE even at slow speeds, so DLP is great for me.

Edit: What AV_Integrated means is that, if your projector isn't level with the screen, you get keystone distortion (where the image looks like a trapezoid). You can "fix" that with digital keystone correction to make it rectangular again, but the way that's done is basically by discarding pixels on the longer end. Best not to use keystone correction at all.

Last edited by dyst0pia; 02-19-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-21-2015, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I bought , OPTOMA HD26 and BENQ W1070. I thought, i should try both to see the difference myself. and keep the good one and return the other one.

I can tell you - There was no competition, BENQ w1070 won by miles.

As soon as i put it on, i was wow. Thats great. sharp , clear image. so i thought lets try 3d. and wow.

Ease of use - i have xbmc - i download movie, it play side by side , on the benq remote, i press 3D and choose side by side on remote and press power button on glasses and Walla the glasses start and full 3D going and Amazing clear image. even 5 GB 3d blue ray rip looks amazing, now geting ISO of avatar in 46 GB. lets see how that looks.

on Optoma hd26, when i put it on, it was Meh, crappy - very bad color, so i calibrated, even then it wasnt good. i tried hard to like it as i had optoma hd20 which i love - 3d was confusing, i work for 7 hours to get it working properly. XBMC 3D didnt work properly so installed strescopic player, pot player, powerdvd. all crappy - Only one that works properly was pot player and but when optoma switch to 3d, color of actual setting go bad - 3d was OK on optoma but - actual normal 2d viewing , Optoma was giving me headche and was just not clear and big.

BenQ w1070 was perfect out of the box, but used the calibration from google. and WOW. what an image. Better then my Optoma HD20. if not the same in normal viewing.

also placement with BenQ is great, it give big image even on close distance, optoma not so much.

So for me Winner is BenQ w1070. REturnning optoma back today.

Thanks everyone who contributed in make my decision.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-22-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Fellas - hoping you can help me further.

I am having problem with 3D, when i play side by side movies, and change from reomte side by side, it works fine.

However top and bottom movies and select from remote top bottom, it doesnt look ok - too blur.

Also i have the Avatar Blue Ray ISO - when i play it, it doesnt have side by side, or top bottom, it has slight blur that u see in 3d tv. however in remote, if i pick side by side, or top bottom, it doesnt look ok .
i tried power dvd player as well. same case.

Any idea Guys . ??

Second Issue -
When i see the test patternt, they are big, but my computer screen only shows inside of that pattern area, what i mean is, its not covering the whole screen. i am getting black on top and sides when vieweing the computer. Computer resultion is set to 1920 by 1080 . anything i am missing,

please help. Thanks
post #12 of 15 Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, not much on the rest, but your Blu-ray ISO should be a frame-packed movie, not a SBS or Top/Bottom 3D film.

Do a Google search on Frame Packed 3D.

This is the standard for 3D which is used by Blu-ray Disc players.

I have no idea how computers push out frame packed 3D from a ISO file, but I would expect the format to be consistent with that 3D standard, and the W1070 automatically detects that format. No remote button pushing needed. It sees frame packed, turns on 3D mode, and you are watching 3D immediately.

post #13 of 15 Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks AV , I will look into that.
and one thing to mention.
remember how i was my samsung tv plays the movie smooth, and if projector do that.
I did it. searched the heck out of google and found SVP. and must say WOW.
Basically it ups the FPS to 60 and Movies looks AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG with this.
here is the complete tutorial on how to get SVP working with XBMC.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...splayer.90765/
Hope it helps someone.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-22-2015, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I fixed the screen not filling issue by going into display setting on PC, in advance under ati catalyst, there is overscan, made it all the way up and that filled the screen.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Suggest 3D Projector

Quote:
I bought , OPTOMA HD26 and BENQ W1070. I thought, i should try both to see the difference myself. and keep the good one and return the other one.

I can tell you - There was no competition, BENQ w1070 won by miles.

As soon as i put it on, i was wow. Thats great. sharp , clear image. so i thought lets try 3d. and wow.

Ease of use - i have xbmc - i download movie, it play side by side , on the benq remote, i press 3D and choose side by side on remote and press power button on glasses and Walla the glasses start and full 3D going and Amazing clear image. even 5 GB 3d blue ray rip looks amazing, now geting ISO of avatar in 46 GB. lets see how that looks.

on Optoma hd26, when i put it on, it was Meh, crappy - very bad color, so i calibrated, even then it wasnt good. i tried hard to like it as i had optoma hd20 which i love - 3d was confusing, i work for 7 hours to get it working properly. XBMC 3D didnt work properly so installed strescopic player, pot player, powerdvd. all crappy - Only one that works properly was pot player and but when optoma switch to 3d, color of actual setting go bad - 3d was OK on optoma but - actual normal 2d viewing , Optoma was giving me headche and was just not clear and big.

BenQ w1070 was perfect out of the box, but used the calibration from google. and WOW. what an image. Better then my Optoma HD20. if not the same in normal viewing.

also placement with BenQ is great, it give big image even on close distance, optoma not so much.

So for me Winner is BenQ w1070. REturnning optoma back today.

Thanks everyone who contributed in make my decision.

Thanks for sharing your feedback... good you're enjoying your purchase. We've been enjoying ours for two years. At around 2000 hours on the lamp, it's still so bright that the better half has recently requested we swap over to Eco (from the brighter SmartEco) on our 127" screen when she's watching! (The extra brightness on-tap is fantastic for a bit of ambient light - or 3D! Or when she's not in the room )

Quote:
Also i have the Avatar Blue Ray ISO - when i play it, it doesnt have side by side, or top bottom, it has slight blur that u see in 3d tv. however in remote, if i pick side by side, or top bottom, it doesnt look ok .
i tried power dvd player as well. same case.

For ISO's (similar to what AV says), PowerDVD should already be outputting a straight Frame-Packed 3D image, which means the projector goes into 3D mode itself and all you need to do is turn on the glasses.
I do this on my Nvidia card: assuming your ATI/AMD card is compatible with 3D output via HDMI, you should have the same experience. (Perhaps double-check you're running the most recent drivers and that your card is compatible...).

Quote:
searched the heck out of google and found SVP. and must say WOW.

Basically it ups the FPS to 60 and Movies looks AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG with this.

here is the complete tutorial on how to get SVP working with XBMC.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...splayer.90765/

Hope it helps someone.

SVP is awesome. Software frame interpolation, basically. It's nice because of how easy it is to tailor to individual tastes - very, very customizable. It's one of the (few) things I miss since moving from XBMC on Windows to OpenELEC. (Would love to have something like this in OE!)

Quote:
I fixed the screen not filling issue by going into display setting on PC, in advance under ati catalyst, there is overscan, made it all the way up and that filled the screen.

Yeah, Catalyst has a weird default overscan value (10% underscan or so) whenever it detects a connected HDTV via HDMI. A hangup from the 720p days, I think. It's left many users (myself included) scratching their heads wondering why their image has a large black border! At least it's simple to resolve, I guess!

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
3020 , hd26 , w1070

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page