3D (or generally): HT1085ST vs W1500? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
3D (or generally): HT1085ST vs W1500?

I recently got an HT1085ST, and for the most part, it's been great. Except that the 3D is quite dim, and I'm having a hell of a time calibrating it (it feels like the Red Gain control just isn't doing anything at all).

Has anyone seen the HT1085ST (or HT1075, or W1070) side-by-side with the W1500, particularly for 3D? I'd appreciate general comparison commentary for the two as well. The only direct comparison review I saw mentioned a huge brightness difference, but I'm skeptical because that review reported the W1070 at 1200 lumens on cinema, which I believe is only correct in eco mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have the 1085ST and have no complaints about the 3D. Mine is actually brighter than my 82'' 82740 mits dlp tv was. What are your settings? IE lamp power, color, brightness, etc? Besides that what type of glasses do you have? Trying to see so I can compare to what I have mine set to/glasses etc so I can maybe help you out.

BenQ HT1085ST|Epson 5040UB|Silver Ticket 106'' Screen| Onkyo TX-NR3030| SVS Ultra Towers| SVS Ultra Center| SVS Ultra Surrounds| SVS Ultra Bookshelves| Def-Tech DI-8R in-ceiling speakers| PSA XS30SE subs| Buttkickers X's 4, 2 buttkicker amps| Oppo UDP-203| Darbee Darblet 5000| Monster HTS 5000 MKII| Carver 705x| PS4 w/VR|Xbox 360|Xbox One Forza Edition|Xbox w/coinops| Harmony Touch| Dell XPS 420 HTPC W/ Kodi W/12TB NAS| Seatcraft Adonis Seats| Monoprice & Sewell Direct cables|OmniMount RE42 Rack
post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 106
From Art's report on the w1070 3D mode, it's quite bright:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...-3d-brightness

Not sure about the HT1085 though, but should be similar in specs. I found the 3D is brighter than my JVC RS45 for comparison when the lamp hours were similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerpc389 View Post
I have the 1085ST and have no complaints about the 3D. Mine is actually brighter than my 82'' 82740 mits dlp tv was. What are your settings? IE lamp power, color, brightness, etc? Besides that what type of glasses do you have? Trying to see so I can compare to what I have mine set to/glasses etc so I can maybe help you out.
It's on Standard lamp power, with "PC input" HDMI mode. I'm at 55 contrast; I've tried all the way up to 65, where it starts clipping video white. The "correct" brightness is 46 based on where it clips video black, but I've set it at 48 since I like it a little better there.

I'm using EStar ESG601. I tried SainSonic and True Depth as well. SainSonics let in too much of the red for me, and the True Depths were uncomfortable in front of my normal glasses.

White walls/ceiling, unfortunately, but I do have blackouts to keep the room otherwise dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
From Art's report on the w1070 3D mode, it's quite bright:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...-3d-brightness

Not sure about the HT1085 though, but should be similar in specs. I found the 3D is brighter than my JVC RS45 for comparison when the lamp hours were similar.
Interesting. Given that the 1085 is _supposed_ to be 200 lumens brighter, I'd expect it to perform at least as good. Of course, that's just the manufacturer's claim, so take that for what it's worth.

I'll run through my settings again when I get home and see if maybe I accidentally set something wrong.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I noticed almost all reviewers are using 50 or 51 for the brightness after calibration. Did I do something completely wrong here? I'm using the test pattern on the Spears and Munsil disk, darkening until 2% above black is visible and 2% below black is invisible. That ends up with 46 for me.

I will note that I have the HDMI setting on "PC input," since "Video input" clipped the black such that I couldn't do any calibration. Perhaps this is what's killing me.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I used the AVS Rec709 for calibration, via HDMI. My brightness and contrast are around 51-52 and 47, respectively. Yours are kind of my reverse.

My basic settings are Cinema, using EcoSmart mode due to my sensitivity to fan noise. I turned off BC due to color exaggeration. If you ever own LCoS from Sony or JVC, they are around 20-20 dB in low lamp mode. You're correct that the extra 200 lumens did not mean much, if it's accurate at all. Noted that almost all Sony's advertised contrast are better than JVC's - that is a sad joke.

As for my room, all the walls are white except the projection screen side. The wall is black except the screen. Underneath the screen is a black rug. The light leakage from the projector's lamp side is annoying. At this price, I can't complain.

I'm using the cheap Chinese glasses like these since I do not watch 3D much at all:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41IiJy6U2FL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	563681  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page