Poll: What ceiling mount are you using? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Post Poll: What ceiling mount are you using?

I've to purchase one soon so thought I'd get everyone's input:

Which Mount
Which Projector
Would you buy it again? (Y/N)

Insert pithy comment here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
I have used or tested about 40 ceiling mounts, and my go to mount is the Chief RPMAU.

Strangely, I'm not using it on my W1070 because I have the projector in a lift and the stack height of the RPMAU was to tall, so I am using the Chief RPA mount. Which, I won't use again. I will only use the RPMAU or any of the other Chief RPM series Elite mounts.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 35 Old 02-27-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Which Mount
Which Projector
I bought a eHotCafe PRB-717-BLK Universal Projector Ceiling Mount for my Optoma HD25e projector. It works better than my previous ceiling mount I used for my old InFocus 76 (one of those plastic ball joint things).

It took some time to figure out how to attach the mount to the projector. Since it is a universal mount, it has a variety of adjustable arms for lining up the mount to the mounting screw sockets. The mounting screws that came with it didn't fit the projector, which requires tiny little screws, but I got some at Ace Hardware pretty cheap.

Once you get it in place and tighten it down, it is pretty solid and steady. The construction is steel, so it is strong.

I had to use plastic wedges on my old mount to keep it from moving. The eHotCafe mount doesn't need any help. It stays steady by itself. I have seen other mounts that look identical to it with other names, such as the QualGear PRB-717 at Amazon.. This mount was relatively inexpensive. I think it was less than $30.

I would buy it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Peerless. Panasonic 8000. Works fine.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-28-2015, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I 'cheaped' out n bought a cheetah mount.. bad decision... had to use pliers to tighten the bolt, otherwise it drifted downwards... the manufacturer asked my opinion of their mount, n when I sent them my comments , they did refund me the purchase price ( ), and promised to send me their new/improved model when it came out.. that was about a year ago, so far received nothing.. which is ok, as the pj is rarely used (100hrs in last year)

moral is ... don't cheap-out.. get a chief/peerless... other top mount
post #6 of 35 Old 03-02-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Great info so far.. very useful to separate the cheap but really crappy from the affordable good-enough ones.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great info so far.. very useful to separate the cheap but really crappy from the affordable good-enough ones.
The hard part in all of this is that most people haven't seen more than one or two projector mounts in their life and they really don't know the difference between cheap, cheapish, and quality.

Even people who start off with a top shelf projector mount don't know what separates it from the cheaper mounts from the same manufacturer, or from really cheap mounts from other companies.

A good mount will have height, roll, yaw, and tilt adjustments, or adjustability. Those four adjustments should be independent from one another. Most do not have much in the way of yaw adjustment. Some do. MANY have a fixed, or limited range, extension column that is attached and can't be changed should your projector change. Finally, while most allow for independent tilt and roll, tightening one, often can't be done smoothly and may slightly impact the other.

Better companies, such as Chief and Peerless cost a fair bit more, but offer the ability to use standard 1.5" pipe. This is something that is sold by mount manufacturers in adjustable lengths as you may desire, or you can run by Home Depot and pick up a pipe of the length you want. I've used pipes from just a few inches to over five feet with these types of mounts.

The staple of the pro industry for years is the still manufactured Chief RPA mount. Their standard universal mount does not offer yaw adjustment other than by rotating the mount on the column it hangs from, then tightening a set screw to lock it in place. It then has several screws which can be loosened independently to adjust tilt and roll. Typically when you tighten those screws down, it slightly tweaks the tilt or roll, and you have to push things back to get them in place.

The Peerless PRG allows for fine adjustment using a screw mechanism. This allows for things to be tight, but still be adjusted slightly and accurately after screws are tightened down a bit. It gives very precise alignment capability with no flop from the projector.

The Chief does it a bit better. It's a tighter mount and includes all three adjustments with the mount locked down to the extension column. You can still adjust tilt, roll, and yaw. You can tighten down the mount very securely, then use a screwdriver to slightly tilt, turn, and rotate the projector exactly as you want it. This allows for a very accurate on screen image, with ease of adjustment and no headaches of drift or slight skews when being adjusted.

Does it make sense to pay $100 more for that functionality?

That's always the question I think. If you don't touch you projector, and don't get stressed out by taking an hour or more to adjust things, or you get lucky and get it right in just five minutes, then that's great. If you don't need the height adjustability at all, then that's a real plus. But, it's important to understand that if you own a mount which works with your HD26, and you then get a W1070, you may need to drop the extension 5" or more to work with your screen placement... and that may not work with your current mount. When you change a lamp, you often shift the mount and then you have to readjust to get it lined up. If you have a poor mount, the projector may drift some so it may need to be adjusted every time you use your projection setup.

I'm not sure I've heard from anyone who has been unhappy with their Chief Elite mount. I'm not sure I've met anyone who has been unhappy with their Peerless PRG-U mount either. But, anyone who has ever owned a different mount has said what an improvement it has been moving from their old mount to those models. What a huge jump in quality it has been. I don't know where they came from with their mounts, but I know what I've tried over the years, and that's why I swear by the Chief Elite mounts today. I'm happy to move to any other brand should something better come along, or something similar at a better price.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 35 Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Peerless, W1070. No Issues.
post #9 of 35 Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Liked: 16
Hands down, the Chief RPMAU.
Using it on my Sony VPL-HW40ES.

I bought on Amazon for ~$148. I see it has gone up slightly since I purchased.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WYMS9U

I've used three different kinds of cheaper mounts before, but this one has got me forever. It has every direction minute adjustments, and I can take my projector down from the mount, change a bulb, blow it out, whatever, and put it back up on the mount and it is exactly where I had previously had it. Given the flexibility of this mount, and it's "universallality" it probably is the last mount I will wever need to buy. Highly recommended.

Last edited by jenielsen; 03-02-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7791 Post(s)
Liked: 9847
Chief mounts - been using one with various projectors since 2002. RPA or RPMA ( I personally have an RPA which works fine ). Also, I do not like the universal model - the arms that attach to the projector can flex more than the projector specific plate. That makes a difference if you decide to install dual SVS cylinder subs and vibrate the room during action movies !! Or other big subwoofers..........
post #11 of 35 Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's wrong with this one?

Now that I'm back to strongly considering the Epson 2030 (thanks everyone who weighed in on my thread), this mount on Amazon seems to have very positive reviews (and it's cheap).

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Proj...2VYK1JT012M55W
post #12 of 35 Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Liked: 16
^^^^^
This is almost exactly what I had in the past, that I would never buy again.
Even though the pic shows seemingly ease of adjustability, you will find that it is not as easy as it seems.
On top of it, the arms are flimsy. However looking at the Epson 2030, this mount might be ok for it with the PJ weighing 6.4lbs.
I will say though that if you ever need to take it down for cleaning, changing bulb, etc, that it will take you a while to get it put back up there in the same spot.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschultz View Post
That's a very typical 'cheap' mount.

The design is flimsy which means it's not truly universal as heavier projectors likely will cause it to drift some.

Lightweight projectors will mount easily enough to this mount. The arms aren't particularly long, so it may not work with larger projectors at all. They are also flimsy, but that shouldn't be a big issue.

The extension arm is nice. As long as you want your projector dropped exactly 5.9" or between 18.1" to 28.3"... Better NEVER get a projector that needs something different, because this mount is not so universal as to allow for that.

Now look at that pole - it's not exactly a locked in piece of steel. It's square tubing, and that means that it can have a bit of rocking to it. Maybe it does, maybe not, but you want to be sure it's not easily jostled.

There is no obvious quick release. It looks like you must completely remove the roll adjustment bolt to take the projector down. In which case you must completely readjust the projector when it is reinstalled.

Likewise, the mounting point isn't a secure point, but just hung, which means it's (again) a flimsy point.

Now the headache comes when you start trying to tighten things down. You do get separate roll/tilt/yaw points, with the yaw point being up at the ceiling (yeah, that's not going to be wobbly at all). That's good that they are separate, but the use of single bolts to hold things down means that when you tighten the bolts, the mount is likely to shift slightly, which makes the setup difficult. You align things perfectly, then tighten the bolt, and let go - and it shifts half an inch, or more. You loosen it, then try again. Half a dozen (or more) tries later, and it all lines up. Then you adjust the next thing, and go through the same process. Hopefully, not messing up the thing you just got perfect.

This is 'typical' of cheap mounts. It doesn't make them unusable (all reviews to the contrary), but make sure to read the negative reviews. There are a number of Epson owners who complain that it doesn't fit their model. There are several people who are complaining about drift and sag as well. The complexity of getting it all together out of the box is apparently a pain as well.

Reading through many of the '5-star' reviews you get an idea that many people have no real projector mount experience. Others who are giving it 5 stars are still complaining about the things they have to do to get it to work right. (5-stars? Really?)

This is a average 3-star projector if you consider 3-stars 'average'. It's not a 5-star model by a long shot. If the price was higher, it would potentially drop to a 2-star product. It's just very typical for a cheap design, and many similar models are out there. I think there are a fair number which have better 'universal' support.

As you browse through Amazon, you see dozens of mounts which are very similar to this. Some have better universal connections, but are flimsier. Others are stronger, but have less flexibility overall. Some look nice, and the nicer they are, the higher the price is.

So, what's a decent bang for the buck mount?

http://www.htdepot.com/NPL-Projector...ack-p/6521.htm

That mount, while not perfect, and far from the Chief/Peerless quality, offers a lot for the money.

First, it still has the separate 3-point individual adjustments for roll/tilt/yaw. It also has a separate release which doesn't require you to change those adjustments, but it's not built well enough to not shift a bit when you do remove things. It uses standard 1.5" pipe, so it is infinitely height adjustable. It comes with a 1.5" pipe so you can hit a couple of heights, and extensions are available from them, or any manufacturer who makes adjustable 1.5" pipe fittings, or you can get the length you need at Home Depot. It comes with (what I consider) the absolute best flat ceiling bracket I've seen. Not crazy overbuilt, but a very nice cover with a simple design that you can't buy 'separately' which sucks.

Universal design is not nearly as universal as it should be and is similar to what you linked to before. It is also more ideal for lighter weight projectors.

As long winded as that was, I hope it helps you understand what separates the cheaper models from the more expensive ones. I truly believe that if a good engineer were to sit down and design a 'cheap' mount it could be done for a ton less money than what Chief and Peerless charge for their more standard mounts.
txmxer likes this.

post #14 of 35 Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Also, I do not like the universal model - the arms that attach to the projector can flex more than the projector specific plate.
Just curious if you have used their tubular universal mounting bracket? I actually believe that it is built better than their custom plates are built. I've used all three types from them. Custom, their old universal steel arms, and their new universal tubular arms, and the difference between the tubular ones when fully fitted vs. their old universal stuff is night and day.

It would be an interesting experiment to try to induce vibration and do a test on their newest universal vs. custom fit mounts. I would think they would fare very well against each other, and the universal mount will take you through to the rest of the projectors you may own in your life.

post #15 of 35 Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Just curious if you have used their tubular universal mounting bracket? I actually believe that it is built better than their custom plates are built. I've used all three types from them. Custom, their old universal steel arms, and their new universal tubular arms, and the difference between the tubular ones when fully fitted vs. their old universal stuff is night and day.

It would be an interesting experiment to try to induce vibration and do a test on their newest universal vs. custom fit mounts. I would think they would fare very well against each other, and the universal mount will take you through to the rest of the projectors you may own in your life.
Actually I was referring to the steel arms - but never underestimate projector manufacturers ability to make a chassis that won't work with a universal mount !
post #16 of 35 Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Actually I was referring to the steel arms - but never underestimate projector manufacturers ability to make a chassis that won't work with a universal mount !
Completely agree with manufacturer's ability to make some weird setups with mounting.

If you get the chance to play with the new universal interface at some point from Chief you should. It truly is an achievement which others aren't even close to. Peerless does well with the mount itself on the PRG-UNV, but the interface is a toy compared to what the tubular aluminum arms are from Chief. One of the few products I really think hit a home run in design. Plus, the 'quick release' function of the arms is crazy unique.

post #17 of 35 Old 07-12-2015, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide between the RPAU or RPMAU for my W1070...
post #18 of 35 Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Peerless PRG-UNV. Peerless ceiling plate and adjustable column. Put it up - once and done. Only have to mess with it when taking down projector to replace lamp.

The Chief mount is also a great piece of hardware or so I've heard.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #19 of 35 Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I'm using a cheap Monoprice mount, but it does the job. Doesn't allow for any adjustments so have to get right on the first pass.
post #20 of 35 Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I use the 3ni-pjt from omnimount and I love it. It is so easy to take the PJ down to change the bulb. I have a new one in the box so pm me if you are interested. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Vf7SvqbbjSu44g
post #21 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8804

Monoprice wall mount. Would not buy it again. You have to loosen 2 screws (front & back or each side) to adjust pitch or yaw. Good luck screwing both of those in and maintaining the proper position. I have already noticed the pitch drifting down, so I guess I'm going to have to tighten it up with my drill this time.
post #22 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4189 Post(s)
Liked: 5396
Chief RPAU since 2005, used it with four different projectors and still using it....

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik G22 (x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #23 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
I use the 3ni-pjt from omnimount and I love it. It is so easy to take the PJ down to change the bulb. I have a new one in the box so pm me if you are interested. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Vf7SvqbbjSu44g
I have used this mount just once, and have avoided it at all costs ever since.

The ring that is used to tighten the projector tightens the pitch, roll, and yaw all at once. So, as soon as you loosen the ring, the projector flops around. Now, you are back at square one. You can't independently adjust pitch, roll, and yaw with this mount in any fashion. It does have a quick release, but it takes a long time to get the initial adjustment close, without it ever being 'perfect', the way a better mount allows for.

At $65 from Amazon, it's not close to the price of the cheaper mounts which do allow for individual control, and very close to the infinitely better PRG-UNV mount.

As well, if people have some time, then troll eBay and you can find the Chief Elite mounts for well under $100 from time to time, and those remain the best I've yet to see on the market. Especially the projector mounting bracket on their universal elite mount.

post #24 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 2909
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide
Which Mount
Which Projector
Peerless PRG-UNV
JVC DLA-HD250
Yes and yes.
post #25 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I have used this mount just once, and have avoided it at all costs ever since.

The ring that is used to tighten the projector tightens the pitch, roll, and yaw all at once. So, as soon as you loosen the ring, the projector flops around. Now, you are back at square one. You can't independently adjust pitch, roll, and yaw with this mount in any fashion. It does have a quick release, but it takes a long time to get the initial adjustment close, without it ever being 'perfect', the way a better mount allows for.

At $65 from Amazon, it's not close to the price of the cheaper mounts which do allow for individual control, and very close to the infinitely better PRG-UNV mount.

As well, if people have some time, then troll eBay and you can find the Chief Elite mounts for well under $100 from time to time, and those remain the best I've yet to see on the market. Especially the projector mounting bracket on their universal elite mount.
Once you get the ring adjustments done why would you loosen the ring????? I have had this mount for 5 years now and have never had to loosen the ring at all. Once you get the pitch,roll,and yaw adjusted and the ring tightened then you just use the thumb screw adjustments on the front of the mount and your done, very simple. If you have to move the mount to another room then of course you will have to re-adjust but it is no harder than re-adjusting and leveling my TT when I move it which is basically never. But to each his own.....
post #26 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Which Mount
Which Projector

Chief RPA mount
SIM2 Lumis Host
Yes, or an RPMA mount.
post #27 of 35 Old 09-02-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
How is the OmniMount 3n1-pjt mount for use with the JVC X500R?

It is the mount that comes with the projector bundle, and just wondering if I'd be better off buying a separate mount for it?
post #28 of 35 Old 10-02-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
I have run a Chief RPA mount top and bottom with a piece of pipe from Home Depot to suit that I wrap in black friction tape once I get it set. I normally make my own adapter plate from a piece of 1/8 aluminum plate. My ceiling mounting plate is of my own design and allows the throw distance to be changed easily. Works nice when going to a scope movie if the projector has limited zoom. Taking the projector down you simply detach the cables and slide the mount and projector off as one unit. My new projector you change the lamp from the top so you don’t have to take anything apart. The advantage of the wide base to my track is with drywall ceilings or plaster the width is such you can always attach it into ceiling joists. Mine I built with an optional rear mirror for stretching the focal length as my room is not too deep. When I switch to my backup projector it has a shorter throw I slide it in the other way. The idea is to kind of future proof the mounting and whatever projector comes along I won’t have to change much. I thought about building a telescoping drop tube but it is really easy and cheap to switch the pipe so most likely won’t do that. I made kind of a crown molding (the black thing you see on the right) it is a cable raceway that runs back to my equipment. It has a gap between it and the ceiling so new cables are easy to run, the power runs thru there also. Here are a couple photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	972577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Setup.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	541.7 KB
ID:	972585  
AV_Integrated and andringa like this.

Bud
post #29 of 35 Old 02-07-2020, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I realize this is an old thread however what do you all think about the QualGear Pro-AV? It uses the same NPT threaded pipe as the Chief for a fraction of the cost. Is it easy to work with or a pain to adjust?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	149972372014973018101 copy.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2681570   Click image for larger version

Name:	14973018101.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2681572  
post #30 of 35 Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Qualgear, where are the gears?

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Klipsch RP-160m,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-8000F,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800CII/2xCDT3650CII,Klipsch R115SW/R110SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page