throw distance in a small room? any help? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question throw distance in a small room? any help?

so I am looking at either a projector or tv, I only have a small room

12 ft long x 7ft wide

if I was to buy either the benq w1070 or the epson eh-tw5200 would I be able to get a screen size of around 60 - 80 inches?
the projector will be around 11-12ft from the wall.

or would it be worth my time just buying a 55 - 60 inch tv instead.

thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-01-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 492
you could fit up to a 92" screen with a 2" border. Such a narrow room will reflect a lot of light off the close walls if your not willing to paint them a dark flat color to keep the refelections down I would go with a TV. Speakers are another issue, maybe behind screen in walls or small satalites above or below the screen. BenQ would need to be about 9" from screen.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 32 Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
you could fit up to a 92" screen with a 2" border. Such a narrow room will reflect a lot of light off the close walls if your not willing to paint them a dark flat color to keep the refelections down I would go with a TV. Speakers are another issue, maybe behind screen in walls or small satalites above or below the screen. BenQ would need to be about 9" from screen.
OK sounds like a TV is my only option thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

was just reflecting on what has been said is there no way the benq w1070 or epson would throw a 60-70 inch images from dead on 12ft away. my problem is the projector has to be 12 ft away from the wall and 60 - 70 inches would be the comfortable screen size.

+ it means I could fit my desk and monitors in and throw the projector screen above the desk.

if this cant be done im not sure as to how I will fit a tv in as well as my large desk.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertcode View Post
was just reflecting on what has been said is there no way the benq w1070 or epson would throw a 60-70 inch images from dead on 12ft away. my problem is the projector has to be 12 ft away from the wall and 60 - 70 inches would be the comfortable screen size.

+ it means I could fit my desk and monitors in and throw the projector screen above the desk.

if this cant be done im not sure as to how I will fit a tv in as well as my large desk.
Round peg, square hole.

Don't put a projector in when a LCD of the same size is available. It doesn't make much sense.

I would throw the room sideways and project onto the 12' wall so you have more room for the screen and get a W1080ST. You can get a decent size that will be quite immersive. 70" with a 10' or more viewing distance isn't immersive... It's just TV at that point.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
7' wide is your problem there. Max would be 97" but you would need to go a little smaller with frame and border. You'd mount projector about 9' away.

Here's a calculator, you can adjust using the room restraints.

Yeah, I'd probably just go with a 65" panel in that room.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...calculator.htm

This line intentionally left blank.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

my problem is i can only mount the projector 12ft not 9ft away and project it onto the opposite wall. so the screen wall is 230cm wide and the throw distance is 12ft just to clarify.

do projectors not have a zoom out function that can shrink the size of the image? I know the advice given was to get a 70 inch tv but the cost of a projector vs a 70 inch tv is large and the projector would have worked so much better with the other gear in the room. :L
post #8 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
my problem is i can only mount the projector 12ft not 9ft away and project it onto the opposite wall. so the screen wall is 230cm wide and the throw distance is 12ft just to clarify.

do projectors not have a zoom out function that can shrink the size of the image? I know the advice given was to get a 70 inch tv but the cost of a projector vs a 70 inch tv is large and the projector would have worked so much better with the other gear in the room. :L

The all have an adjustment length that is about a 3' range for a given screen size.

Not to be pushy, but why can't you mount the projector closer to the wall?

Also note, I think you can get a very good TV in the 65" range for around the same price you are looking at for a projector.

You can research projector options here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/
post #9 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Won't work. If you must keep projector at 12', you need an 11' width. You could mount a pull down screen closer, one option.

post #10 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

A 70" image is only 35" tall. Are you sure that is all the space you have ? That seems odd, considering that a desk is 30" tall and a monitor is probably less than 20" tall. So if a projected image begins 50" off the floor and you only have space for a 35" tall image, you would be working with 7' tall ceilings. Seems strange.

Have you considered mounting the monitor to a swing arm on a side wall so it can be out of the way and your projected image can begin lower ?

The Optoma 131xe can go as small as 93" from 12'.

If you want smaller, you will need to mount closer than the back wall. There are many wall-mounts that will extend a projector 2' - 3' away from a wall. Search Amazon for 'projector wall mount'.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #11 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
A 70" image is only 35" tall. Are you sure that is all the space you have ? That seems odd, considering that a desk is 30" tall and a monitor is probably less than 20" tall. So if a projected image begins 50" off the floor and you only have space for a 35" tall image, you would be working with 7' tall ceilings. Seems strange.

Have you considered mounting the monitor to a swing arm on a side wall so it can be out of the way and your projected image can begin lower ?

The Optoma 131xe can go as small as 93" from 12'.

If you want smaller, you will need to mount closer than the back wall. There are many wall-mounts that will extend a projector 2' - 3' away from a wall. Search Amazon for 'projector wall mount'.
I have tried to show the room size as best as possible

the room dimensions are 12ft long

by 7ft wide

the desk will be flush against the 7ft wide wall the with the projector image above the desk on the wall.

I can get photos of the actual room and real measurements when I get home from work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ht setup.png
Views:	454
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	579865  

Last edited by covertcode; 03-03-2015 at 01:45 AM.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have tried to show the room size as best as possible

the room dimensions are 12ft long

by 7ft wide

the desk will be flush against the 7ft wide wall the with the projector image above the desk on the wall.

I can get photos of the actual room and real measurements when I get home from work.
OK, the drawing helps. Although this is a strange room with no door. Do you teleport in and out of it ?

First, you have been talking about a 12' throw distance, which is incorrect. You started out saying 11' to 12', then switched to 12' and we all followed along. Throw distance is from the lens to the screen not the rear of the projector, which means that depending on the physical size of the projector -- like the W1070 being 12 inches deep -- you have only 11' or less to the screen.

Second, if you have 53" above the monitor, then why are you limiting your desired screen size to 60"-70" ? (BTW, the custom is to refer to screen size by diagonal and not horizontal measure.) A 60" horizontal measured screen is 68" diagonal. This is far too small to watch movies on from a chair 8' or 10' away. A 94" screen would be a better size for movies and will fit on a 7' wide wall. The W1070 would need to be 10'6" from the screen, which means it would only be 6" away from the rear wall and could sit on a shelf or cabinet 16" deep. The Optoma HD131XE would allow a smaller screen as small as 84". The Optoma HD141X can go as small as 92".

Third, you haven't mentioned how you intend to mount the projector "at the rear wall". When somebody says this, they usually are thinking they can set the projector upright on a shelf or cabinet at the rear wall. This may work well for you, since you will have the projected image above the height of your head when seated. If you were planning on setting the projector up high near the ceiling, then these projectors need to be mounted upside down, either attached to the underside of a shelf or hung from a mount attached to the ceiling or wall. You should also note that these projectors all require the lens be EXACTLY in the center of the projected image -- there is no adjustment to move the image sideways without causing focus and trapezoid problems with the image. So if the doorway is on the back wall and you were thinking of setting the projector on a cabinet off to the side of the doorway, that may not work.

Kirk Ellis

Last edited by dreamer; 03-03-2015 at 04:16 AM.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, the drawing helps. Although this is a strange room with no door. Do you teleport in and out of it ?

First, you have been talking about a 12' throw distance, which is incorrect. You started out saying 11' to 12', then switched to 12' and we all followed along. Throw distance is from the lens to the screen not the rear of the projector, which means that depending on the physical size of the projector -- like the W1070 being 12 inches deep -- you have only 11' or less to the screen.

Second, if you have 53" above the monitor, then why are you limiting your desired screen size to 60"-70" ? (BTW, the custom is to refer to screen size by diagonal and not horizontal measure.) A 60" horizontal measured screen is 68" diagonal. This is far too small to watch movies on from a chair 8' or 10' away. A 94" screen would be a better size for movies and will fit on a 7' wide wall. The W1070 would need to be 10'6" from the screen, which means it would only be 6" away from the rear wall and could sit on a shelf or cabinet 16" deep. The Optoma HD131XE would allow a smaller screen as small as 84". The Optoma HD141X can go as small as 92".

Third, you haven't mentioned how you intend to mount the projector "at the rear wall". When somebody says this, they usually are thinking they can set the projector upright on a shelf or cabinet at the rear wall. This may work well for you, since you will have the projected image above the height of your head when seated. If you were planning on setting the projector up high near the ceiling, then these projectors need to be mounted upside down, either attached to the underside of a shelf or hung from a mount attached to the ceiling or wall. You should also note that these projectors all require the lens be EXACTLY in the center of the projected image -- there is no adjustment to move the image sideways without causing focus and trapezoid problems with the image. So if the doorway is on the back wall and you were thinking of setting the projector on a cabinet off to the side of the doorway, that may not work.

ah I deeply apologize

I was planning to get a shelf unit just higher than the chair in the middle of the room and project upwards.

in terms of the projector being in the centre of the room, say I could spend a bit more money on a projector and get something like the EH-TW6100

would that help with the positioning of the projector or would it still have to be dead centre? I did see a yt video of a projector similar looking to the one stated above on an angle using something like lens shift?
post #14 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your max screen is 96" based on your room and the BenQ W1070, just use the calculator I linked. You'll have to mount your projector at 9'. If you have a ceiling, there's no reason you can't mount it there.

What is your ceiling height? That could be an issue depending on desk height and whatever you have on it. Also post your measurements in one format, keep everything in inches is best so we don't have to convert. Don't use cm and feet with decimals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BenQ for 84%22 wide screen..png
Views:	396
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	580593  

post #15 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ah I deeply apologize

I was planning to get a shelf unit just higher than the chair in the middle of the room and project upwards.

in terms of the projector being in the centre of the room, say I could spend a bit more money on a projector and get something like the EH-TW6100

would that help with the positioning of the projector or would it still have to be dead centre? I did see a yt video of a projector similar looking to the one stated above on an angle using something like lens shift?
You are talking about projectors with "horizontal lens shift" to place the projector anywhere other than dead center. I don't think the TW6100 has it. If you aren't afraid of buying used, there are JVC RS1 and even RS45 projectors for sale in the Classified section that would be bright enough for such a small screen and can fit your room that have lens shift.

Kirk Ellis
post #16 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Your max screen is 96" based on your room and the BenQ W1070, just use the calculator I linked. You'll have to mount your projector at 9'. If you have a ceiling, there's no reason you can't mount it there.

What is your ceiling height? That could be an issue depending on desk height and whatever you have on it. Also post your measurements in one format, keep everything in inches is best so we don't have to convert. Don't use cm and feet with decimals.
That is incorrect. The zoom lens on the W1070 means it can fill a 96" screen from as close as 8'1" or as far as 10'6".

Kirk Ellis
post #17 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the reason I cant mount the projector on the ceiling is just cost, I simply cant afford it, and also because I don't want to permanently fix it and then have to uninstall it in 6 months time if I have to move, that's why I opted for the shelf at the back of the room option.
post #18 of 32 Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

OK got home and properly measured the wall and from the top of the monitor to the ceiling Is 43" so not as much space as initially thought :L

got a photo of the wall I want to project onto from the back wall.

EG: were I am standing is were the projector will be if its possible and the wall with the tiger canvas is were i am hoping the image will be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1661.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	581657  
post #19 of 32 Old 03-04-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is incorrect. The zoom lens on the W1070 means it can fill a 96" screen from as close as 8'1" or as far as 10'6".
It's not incorrect, I did not elaborate the range, 9' is one of the mounting points. In this case anything under 12 isn't going to work for the OP as he isn't willing to spend the time/effort/cost to install it correctly.

post #20 of 32 Old 03-04-2015, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not incorrect, I did not elaborate the range, 9' is one of the mounting points. In this case anything under 12 isn't going to work for the OP as he isn't willing to spend the time/effort/cost to install it correctly.
Just to say its not that I am not willing to spend the time to mount it on the ceiling I would love nothing more than to mount it and have the projector, its just in my circumstances I simply cant mount it to the ceiling.

so based on this post I am going to assume that since 12ft is the only distance I can do a projector is a no go for me, cant say im not gutted as I was really looking forward to using one

I guess I may need to look into an alternative, the problem is the room is just not well laid out or very big so no matter what I get I am going to face problems.
post #21 of 32 Old 03-04-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One other option is to use a portable screen on a tripod. I have one that I used for awhile in LR where I couldn't mount it. You could just take the screen down, fold it up and then put it in a closet. I built a small vertical cart that I used to hold the projector, then wheeled it out of the room when done. That way nothing is installed permanent and can just be removed after each use.

post #22 of 32 Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to say its not that I am not willing to spend the time to mount it on the ceiling I would love nothing more than to mount it and have the projector, its just in my circumstances I simply cant mount it to the ceiling.

so based on this post I am going to assume that since 12ft is the only distance I can do a projector is a no go for me, cant say im not gutted as I was really looking forward to using one

I guess I may need to look into an alternative, the problem is the room is just not well laid out or very big so no matter what I get I am going to face problems.
Not at all. Once again, the lens to screen distance can be as far a 10'6" for the W1070. If you have a cabinet or shelf at the 12' distance, then getting the lens on the front of the projector to 10'6" should not be difficult at all. And there are plenty of other projectors that can work. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to set it on a shelf projecting upwards rather than ceiling mounting it.

Ignore the 9' figure. It is incorrect, plain and simple.
sulakd likes this.

Kirk Ellis
post #23 of 32 Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Maybe I didn't see it, but the cannot ceiling mount is puzzling. Can you clarify WHY you cannot ceiling mount?

From other threads, I see folks that are renting and have issues with such installations. Or maybe you have a construction that doesn't support it. It's a major unknown. Which leads me to wonder how you can mount a projection screen.

Anyway, assume you wanted a freestanding system, you could do all of that with some 2 x 4's built inside the overall room. Just thinking out loud on that. Point is there are options, but your limitations are unclear.

We all want you to have your big(ish) screen.
post #24 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ignore the 9' figure. It is incorrect, plain and simple.
Ignore this, it's incorrect, plain and simple, as the chart clearly shows 9' is correct. This leaves you with equal throw to go large or small, if needed. If you mount at 10' then you cannot adjust larger later if needed. The same for 8', you can't go smaller. 9' is where you would need to be for a permanent installation.

If you're going to remove in a short time, like you said, I wouldn't do a permanent installation either. Just make something to hold the projector at table level where you want it and either get a tripod screen or try to mount it above table.

post #25 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Maybe I didn't see it, but the cannot ceiling mount is puzzling. Can you clarify WHY you cannot ceiling mount?

From other threads, I see folks that are renting and have issues with such installations. Or maybe you have a construction that doesn't support it. It's a major unknown. Which leads me to wonder how you can mount a projection screen.

Anyway, assume you wanted a freestanding system, you could do all of that with some 2 x 4's built inside the overall room. Just thinking out loud on that. Point is there are options, but your limitations are unclear.

We all want you to have your big(ish) screen.
I have explained why - see post 17

but in short Financially I cant mount it, Its not my house so permission is an issue and the fact that I maybe moving to a new house in 6 months is the other issue, whats the point spending the time and effort to mount the projector on the ceiling at 9ft and then 6 months later having to take it down and repair the ceiling.

I may possibly have 1 final option that could get the projector closer to the wall since I have 1 person telling me I have to mount the projector at 9ft and someone else telling me I can mount it further back im very confused as to the distance needed for the screen.

I could try and buy a console table to sit right behind the chair with the projector on top, while a bit inconvenient and not as nice looking it would give me the height needed to throw the screen over the chair as well as being just a little closer to 9ft.
post #26 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I have explained why - see post 17

but in short Financially I cant mount it, Its not my house so permission is an issue and the fact that I maybe moving to a new house in 6 months is the other issue, whats the point spending the time and effort to mount the projector on the ceiling at 9ft and then 6 months later having to take it down and repair the ceiling.

I may possibly have 1 final option that could get the projector closer to the wall since I have 1 person telling me I have to mount the projector at 9ft and someone else telling me I can mount it further back im very confused as to the distance needed for the screen.

I could try and buy a console table to sit right behind the chair with the projector on top, while a bit inconvenient and not as nice looking it would give me the height needed to throw the screen over the chair as well as being just a little closer to 9ft.
Sorry--I did miss it.

I think you are getting two different answers because one may be referencing the mounting height and the other the throw distance. Projector central has a calculator on the throw distance range: http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

For the W1070, if the projector is 10' from the screen, the screen size diagonal can range from: 92"-120". Or, in your case, for an 80" horizontal screen measurement, the projector can be set between 7'-8" and 10' from the screen.
post #27 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Wait until you get your own home before doing any kind of projector setup. Projection setups are usually "setup correctly and enjoy for years" kinds of things, and if you need to move to new apartments/homes all the time, maybe a TV would be a better option.

6 months really isn't that long to wait. If you truly can't hold out, buy a used TV off of craigslist to keep you content until you can get your dream projection setup. Heck, TV's are super cheap these days, you can easily get a 60-70 inch for a very reasonable amount of money. Then sell it at a 30-40% loss 6 months to a year down the road when you are ready take the leap towards projection.
post #28 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's not two answers here, there is a range you have based on your available width of your room, 84", which is between 8'1" and 10'6", assuming you want the largest screen possible. 9' puts it in the middle so you can adjust the throw either way later if needed. You can technically mount it anywhere in between such as to meet a joist. But if you mount at either 10'6" or 8' then you won't be able to adjust throw in one direction as your maxed out for that distance.

post #29 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There's not two answers here, there is a range you have based on your available width of your room, 84", which is between 8'1" and 10'6", assuming you want the largest screen possible. 9' puts it in the middle so you can adjust the throw either way later if needed. You can technically mount it anywhere in between such as to meet a joist. But if you mount at either 10'6" or 8' then you won't be able to adjust throw in one direction as your maxed out for that distance.
ah gotcha so in layman's terms

I could mount it at the back of the room 10'6 ft and that will give me my maximum screen size and I cant go any bigger but can go smaller.

I could mount it at 9 ft so I could go as big as 10'6 ft would give me or as small at 8 ft would give me.

or I could mount it 8 ft and that's the smallest screen size and wont be able to get the big screen size at 10.6

so in short 9ft is the best distance as it gives me the best flexibility however i can mount it at 10.6ft or 8ft if I choose.
the only thing I would have to consider is getting the projector dead center shouldn't be a problem although buying one with lens shift would of helped.
post #30 of 32 Old 03-05-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right. No room for adjustment at short/long throw for size adjustment if needed, but on the flip side many have said mid point doesn't give the best performance but a compromise of both. Short=brightest image, black levels and contrast suffer. Long=better black levels and contrast but lower brightness. I'd have it on a table and see what looks best to you and where you can have it in room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
projector , screen size , television

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page