Viewsonic pro9000 for gaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Viewsonic pro9000 for gaming?

I'm thinking about picking up a pro9000 for under $1500. It's going to be used in a dedicated/light controlled room. Mostly for movies but needs to be up to the task of occasional gaming. Is there currently a better option for a led or hybrid in the $1500 range? I don't care about 3d.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
I would hope you are paying a ton less than $1,500 for this model considering the mediocre image quality it delivers. As well, Viewsonic isn't what I would consider a premium brand for build quality, so lasting as long as claimed would be unlikely.

Not sure why you are sold on LED as there are traditional lamp based models for well under $1,000. With 2 lamps, the BenQ W1070 outperforms the Pro9000 in almost every single manner and should run around 12,000 hours for around $1,200 with the spare lamps.

The upcoming LG PF1500 should deliver a real world 700 lumens (similar to the Pro9000) and has about a $1,000 price point. Reviews aren't really abundant on that model yet since it hasn't reached our shores.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2015, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at led based projectors for the long "lamp life". My plan is to have it on most of the day as a replacement for a tv. I really like the maintenance free aspect, plus I won't feel guilty wasting hours of bulb life on gaming.

Are led projectors just not worth anything yet? I really miss my crt projectors but they are too big and I'm too lazy to calibrate them anymore. I had an infocus X1 for a while, but was never impressed. Wanted to try a 1080p projector and led or hybrid light sources intrigued me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I would hope you are paying a ton less than $1,500 for this model considering the mediocre image quality it delivers. As well, Viewsonic isn't what I would consider a premium brand for build quality, so lasting as long as claimed would be unlikely.

Not sure why you are sold on LED as there are traditional lamp based models for well under $1,000. With 2 lamps, the BenQ W1070 outperforms the Pro9000 in almost every single manner and should run around 12,000 hours for around $1,200 with the spare lamps.

The upcoming LG PF1500 should deliver a real world 700 lumens (similar to the Pro9000) and has about a $1,000 price point. Reviews aren't really abundant on that model yet since it hasn't reached our shores.
a true,couldn't say it better
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovinfast View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at led based projectors for the long "lamp life".
Here's the deal...

Spending $1,500 on a projector rated for 20,000 hours, that doesn't look good.

OR: $700 on a projector rated for 4,000 which looks great... Then a replacement lamp for $250... another 4,000 hours. Another $250, and another 4,000 hours.

At the end of the day, this is the real world scenario. LED isn't nearly as bright as traditional lamps.

More importantly, the Viewsonic isn't that good looking. If it was stellar looking, I would be more inclined to say "Go for it!" - but it isn't that good looking, and you have options that basically match it on price.

While the Epson 2000/2030 has replacement lamps which are only $100, it isn't as good for gaming. The W1070 hits all the good points right now. More importantly, if there is something which comes down the line in a couple of years, you will have more money towards that upgrade.

Quote:
My plan is to have it on most of the day as a replacement for a tv. I really like the maintenance free aspect, plus I won't feel guilty wasting hours of bulb life on gaming.
If you have it on for 5 hours a day, then you should see TWO YEARS of use before you replace the lamp the first time. That's a lot of TV viewing every single day. If you double it, you still are only talking about taking the projector down once a year to swap the lamp out.

Quote:
Are led projectors just not worth anything yet? I really miss my crt projectors but they are too big and I'm too lazy to calibrate them anymore. I had an infocus X1 for a while, but was never impressed. Wanted to try a 1080p projector and led or hybrid light sources intrigued me.
LED isn't there yet from what I've seen. They are getting brighter, but not as bright as most everything else. Quality, which compares to CRT only comes from the JVC RS series of projectors. They cost a fair bit, and lamps are expensive. But, very good quality comes from the entry level DLP and LCD models which are traditionally lit. You just don't quite have it yet in the LED world. It's going to be coming in a few years, but I would call the W1070 a great tide-you-over model until then.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply. Just picked up a new w1070 for about $600. Hopefully it will hold me over until led catches up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page