Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-2015, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 206
It's snowing!

Good evening all, I didn't post this in the Optoma thread because honestly I don't know which thread this really belongs in but it does have to do with my projector. I also have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP and the problem is not happening there.

Long story short, I had a tv, installed a projector and needed a way to split the signal coming out of my Yamaha RX-A2030 into 2 to be able to either send it to the TV or the Projector. (Optoma HD20) from the recommendation of a couple members here I ordered a ViewHD 1x2 HDMI splitter. It worked great at first but recently I started to get snow when I tried to watch a movie on the projector. Here is what I concluded.

When I set my receiver to "Process" under the video passthrough setting the snow goes away. If I change it back to direct the snow comes back. Almost as if it needs the extra processing to get a clean signal all the way to the projector. I must mention that I am using a 30ft Redmere HDMI cable from the splitter to the projector. The cable to the tv from the splitter is only 6 feet and have no issues there with or without processing from the receiver.

I also have a Darbee DVP5000 in the mix. When I removed the splitter and connected, receiver out to Darbee in, Darbee out to Projector the snow is gone with or without the processing from the receiver.

The slitter that I purchased is the ViewHD 1x2 splitter with the push button on top. It is not powered and gets powered by the HDMI I assume.

Do you guys think that I might need the powered ViewHD splitter instead. It was mentioned when I was first looking for the splitter that these are good units and someone mentioned after I had already purchased the basic one that the powered ones were better.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Your run is long causing a weak signal. Setting your receiver to process causes the receiver to read the signal and then output it, essentially acting as a powered repeater. You can try getting a repeater, shortening your run, or getting an active splitter.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2015, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry Jarrod, I didn't see this posting. I purchased the active splitter to see if that will help. For now I can keep the processing setting on the yamaha on. One thing I noticed last night is that I switched the Projector the #1 output on the hdmi splitter and no snow even without processing on the yamaha. Maybe the #2 output is weaker or just not working properly. We will see soon. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just wanted to come back with an update in case anyone had this issue in the future. So I purchased an active splitter and that has seemed to resolve the issue. The passive splitter was just not strong enough to send the signal over 30ft of HDMI cable. Thank you all for the help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page