Should I go for it or just get a panel. Help appreciated. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-08-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I go for it or just get a panel. Help appreciated.

Hello everyone. I'm hoping all of you very experienced projector people can help me with my decision. I would like to set up the room you see as a small theatre room. I'm limited on funds and space (obviously). I created a paint doc with as many measurements as I could think of. The projectors I'm looking at are the Benq W1070, the Optoma hd26, and the Optoma hd141x. Specifically, I'm looking at the packages from Visual apex, like this one:

http://www.visualapex.com/projector-...&Screen=FF_100

Any advice you can give would be awesome. I currently have a panasonic TC-PVT20 50" in the living room. The projector route seems much cheaper than a larger panel. I intend to cover the window with some kind of material to block all light and place the screen over. My concerns are throw distance and screen size. I would like to go with a 92" screen. The black tape is outlining a 100". I also intend to ceiling mount the projector if possible. So is this worth pursuing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0792.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	764401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0793.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	764409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0794.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	764433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0795.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	764441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0796.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	764449  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TheatreRoom.png
Views:	129
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	764489  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm no expert but as we share very close dimensions for the theater I'm a big Hell Yeah to going the projector route. I don't know if 3D is a needed factor for you (just went 3D with my Sony 40ES and love it) If not, you can save probably $100 almost and get their Epson 8345 package and go probably 106-110" screen. My room is about 9'W - 13.5'L -7 1/2'H and use a 106" screen. (from an Epson 8350 package deal i got locally) The only issue i have is with my smaller ceiling height i overlap some of the image onto my 2 floor standing speakers by an inch or so on both ends, but doesn't bother me much at all.

Maybe a more solid price point, features your looking for and main use of the projector will have other users point you into maybe an even better setup suggestion. Again, I would say you are good to go on a projector in that room.

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Oppo-203 (Region Free) Sony 55X900F 4K/Dolby Vision , Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2015, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
The 92"-100" screen-size and ceiling-mounting would easily fit any budget projector you could want.
The room has plenty of space for that setup.

The hd26 and hd141 are basically the same projector..with a completely arbitrary price difference. Both use a business style non-RGB colorwheel (low color-brightness and contrast..less accurate colors)while the w1070/1075 uses a theater style RGB colorwheel which improves the image quality (abd can make RainbowEffect a non-issue for most).
The w1070 or w1075 will be a better looking projector.

Alternatively, if you don't need 3D and won't be gaming on it, the LED powered LG pf1500 is plenty bright for a 92"-100" screen, and can be treated just as casually as a TV with no replacement lamp worries. It's a bit more at $900-1000 though.

Seeing how you can buy a w1070 near $650 or a w1075 around $700, a fantastic 100" fixed-frame screen from SilverTicket for $200, and a high quality universal mount by Chief for $100-150..I'm not sure the packaged deal would be the best choice. However, if their mount is stable and their screen is smooth and matte-white, then it's far from a bad deal.

Does anyone have good/bad feedback on the VA mount or screen?

You will also want some form of soundsystem if you don't already have one for the TV.
Built-in projector speakers are not what you'll want to be using if there's any chance of avoiding them.

I use a similarly sized room as a dedicated theater and love it. If you can use dark paint or dark fabric on the walls and ceiling, it can both deepen your contrast from the projector AND really help make movies even more immersive in the dark.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 06-09-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Let me suggest a box of Carl’s scrap BOC for $10 http://www.carlofet.com/clearance-projector-screens/10lb-scrap.html to cover that window. I made a frame that fits in the window and wrapped it in BOC and it lets 0 light in. You may even get some pieces big enough to make a 100” screen if you were so inclined. My box had 3 108” pieces that were over 5’ wide plus a couple ~3’ wide. I got 3 screens and covered 3 windows and still had a little left over.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-2015, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info guys. I do enjoy 3d occasionally, and I will be gaming. The w1070 is my primary choice due to the image quality everyone speaks of. I'm glad to hear someone has a similar sized room because that was my primary concern. My current sound set up is a 5.1 made up of pioneer Andrew jones speaker (two standing, two book shelf, and center) with a klipsch sub, so I should be good. (Just need speaker stands for the rear).

I've been trying to find as much info as I can about visual apex's packages, but there's not much out there. The few reviews I've read about the screen have all been very good though (its CinemaWhite), and for the price of the projector and a screen at amazon I get a bunch of extras. And I've heard great things about Visual Apex's customer support.

I'm not sure about the distance of the projector from the ceiling though.

Last edited by StrifeX; 06-09-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page