The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes

post #601 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmelville View Post
Not sure if this is of any help, but you can access service menu same way as in few other Epson projectors:
You will get total lamp hours, information about lamp replacement etc.

Greetings and thanks for the tip,

I'm not sure if I should send back my projector, I've tested it with several texts and patterns and I showed to my family and anyone complained about that, they said they didn't noticed any problem at all, from my point of view the only thing that's visible it's a slight focus problem on the left side, only barely seen with very small text, I'm not sure if that's a minor focus problem, a convergence problem or even projector misalignment, my projector sits in the top of a table in front of the audience. Everyone says that I'm being too picky about the projector, and the next one(s) could be much worse, and the next ones could have that lamp power supply issue that makes the lamp flicker.

I'm thinking about living with those problems since I can't see them while seeing "normal" content at normal viewing distances, only on some patterns or small text very faintly.

PS:
I've checked the Service Menu, I don't understand why I have 85 h of run time (or on time or something like that) and 86 h on the lamp, does anyone know what causes this.
I've only tried 2D to 3D conversion, if I've a BluRay disk recorded in 3D I can play it on the PC and see the 3D content on the projector? What I have to do?
Do you know any decent 5.1 AV System for about 300$?

BR,
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I had the left/right focus issue. I swapped it out and got a much better one. Didn't have convergence issues on either one. My only continuing issue is the pin cushion.
post #603 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
I had the left/right focus issue. I swapped it out and got a much better one. Didn't have convergence issues on either one. My only continuing issue is the pin cushion.
My unit has pincushion distortion as well, your focus issue was very noticeable or only on certain test patterns/small text and faintly noticeable?
Do you have any pictures of the image showing the focus issues?
I have about 1/2 pixel off convergence problem, but I can't see it from my viewing distance, and it doesn seem to affect the image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny92 View Post
My unit has pincushion distortion as well, your focus issue was very noticeable or only on certain test patterns/small font text and faintly noticeable?
Do you have any pictures of the image showing the focus issues?
I have about 1/2 pixel off convergence problem, but I can't see it from my viewing distance, and it doesn seem to affect the image.

Could you post a pic please.
post #605 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
Could you post a pic please.

Pictures attached, focus, convergence and color uniformity issues are all there.
What do you think?
I've got a lemon or it's within spec?

The pictures look a little bit worst than reality because they are compressed, and my camera is not very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom Left Corner.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1213314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom Right Corner.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1213322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1213330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	1213338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full screen.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1213346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Left.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1213354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1213362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Left Corner.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1213370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Right Corner.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1213378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1213386  

Last edited by danny92; 01-26-2016 at 08:31 PM.
post #606 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just hooked up a 2045 tonight. When the projector is displaying a black background, the right upper corner has a greenish tinge to it. Is this just a normal color uniformity issue? Can it be corrected by adjusting settings? I didn't really notice it when watching movies and I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast but it didn't make much of a difference. Thanks

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #607 of 1872 Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok guys need some advice on 3d viewing. Picked up some samsung active glasses with a gift card .

Only thing I have to play 3d is kodi right now and quality has not been great. Recommendations on a DVD player that has streaming ect ? Also I noticed most the films i played for a few minutes seemed like they depth went i to the film instead of out towards me. Normal? I'm guessing that is just the stereoscopic shooting of the film.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #608 of 1872 Old 01-27-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post
I just hooked up a 2045 tonight. When the projector is displaying a black background, the right upper corner has a greenish tinge to it. Is this just a normal color uniformity issue? Can it be corrected by adjusting settings? I didn't really notice it when watching movies and I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast but it didn't make much of a difference. Thanks
Greetings,

My unit does that also, it seems to be a common brightness/color uniformity issue of the 204x model range. Could someone take a look at the pictures I've attached to post #605 please, my focus issue seems worse on those pictures I took, the actual problem looks between the ones found in the 2nd/3rd pictures of the post #1 found on the older thread "Focus issues with the HW55ES".

On a white background have you noticed a pink tint on the left side and a green/blue tint on the right side?

BR,
Danny

Last edited by danny92; 01-27-2016 at 01:27 AM.
post #609 of 1872 Old 01-27-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

My unit does that also, it seems to be a common brightness/color uniformity issue of the 204x model range. Could someone take a look at the pictures I've attached to post #605 please, my focus issue seems worse on those pictures I took, the actual problem looks between the ones found in the 2nd/3rd pictures of the post #1 found on the older thread "Focus issues with the HW55ES".

On a white background have you noticed a pink tint on the left side and a green/blue tint on the right side?

BR,
Danny
I think I am just going to take it back and wait until I can afford something better. I didn't notice anything with a white background. I did some more adjustments and it is better, but now there are 2 green blobs at the top of the screen which I can focus to make them even more noticeable, which is I assume are dust particles. Very disappointed in Epson's QC or what they deem as acceptable. I am not sure what to do now as I am stuck with LCD as my eyes can't tolerate DLP. My 8 year old 720P Hitachi PJ-TX100 seems to be on par with the 2045 in blacks and contrast to me. The 2045 was a lot sharper though but I was hoping for something more out of the Epson. Kind of bummed out now as I got the 2045 with $500 worth of gift cards and now I have to return everything.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #610 of 1872 Old 01-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Pictures attached, focus, convergence and color uniformity issues are all there.
What do you think?
I've got a lemon or it's within spec?

The pictures look a little bit worst than reality because they are compressed, and my camera is not very good.
It's bad, not within spec. EXCHANGE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post
I think I am just going to take it back and wait until I can afford something better. I didn't notice anything with a white background. I did some more adjustments and it is better, but now there are 2 green blobs at the top of the screen which I can focus to make them even more noticeable, which is I assume are dust particles. Very disappointed in Epson's QC or what they deem as acceptable. I am not sure what to do now as I am stuck with LCD as my eyes can't tolerate DLP. My 8 year old 720P Hitachi PJ-TX100 seems to be on par with the 2045 in blacks and contrast to me. The 2045 was a lot sharper though but I was hoping for something more out of the Epson. Kind of bummed out now as I got the 2045 with $500 worth of gift cards and now I have to return everything.

REALLY?? You return everything. So you got the epson 2045 for 349$

First in your place I would exchange because dust blobs are not in spec. Then if you don't like it sell to someone that couldn't get such a deal, you'll make a profit and make somebody else happy it's a win/win.

My guess is that you will end up keeping it, use it until your ready for better and then sell it back. you can't lose at that price.

My first 2040 was Bad but I really like my second one and Epson has a really good customer service.

My 2 cents
post #611 of 1872 Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They had a short lived promotion at BB, you got a $200 gift card with the purchase of a 2045 and if you were a member of their gamers club they gave you another $300 gift card. I was shocked they allowed for both. In reality I still paid $850 as you can't use the gift cards to pay for the projector. There is another BB not too far from me that has a 2045 in stock, maybe I will just go exchange it and try again.

NE Ohio HT Nutt

Last edited by SKoprowski; 01-27-2016 at 09:36 AM.
post #612 of 1872 Old 01-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It's bad, not within spec. EXCHANGE IT!!!
I've called Epson, they will pick the projector for repair/exchange tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty1258 View Post
Ok guys need some advice on 3d viewing. Picked up some samsung active glasses with a gift card .

Only thing I have to play 3d is kodi right now and quality has not been great. Recommendations on a DVD player that has streaming ect ? Also I noticed most the films i played for a few minutes seemed like they depth went i to the film instead of out towards me. Normal? I'm guessing that is just the stereoscopic shooting of the film.

I've also the same problem the image is like a window to the movie instead of popping 3d, but I've only tried 2d to 3d conversion. Anyone knows why this happens?

BR,
Danny
post #613 of 1872 Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oh my god. Epson Canada support is crap. I've been on the phone with them for like an hour now about my 3D crosstalk problem and the guy has put me on hold about 10 times to talk to the "higher ups" as he keeps calling them. Trying to get out of it saying they don't guarantee it will work with non-Epson 3D glasses. I had to spell the word "crosstalk" to the guy.

Finally they at least referred me to a local service center.
post #614 of 1872 Old 01-28-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I've called Epson, they will pick the projector for repair/exchange tomorrow.

I've also the same problem the image is like a window to the movie instead of popping 3d, but I've only tried 2d to 3d conversion. Anyone knows why this happens?

BR,
Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalSegno View Post
Oh my god. Epson Canada support is crap. I've been on the phone with them for like an hour now about my 3D crosstalk problem and the guy has put me on hold about 10 times to talk to the "higher ups" as he keeps calling them. Trying to get out of it saying they don't guarantee it will work with non-Epson 3D glasses. I had to spell the word "crosstalk" to the guy.

Finally they at least referred me to a local service center.
Lol I'm in Canada

Who did you buy it from and where are you at I might be able to hook you up with a rep through my seller.

Phone Support is often subbed to third parties. That not the best but thats the state of things nowadays.

Now about 3D it might not be your PJ.

I'll try and not wander off too much off topic.

3D Viewing depends on many different factors to be a truly enjoyable experience. First the quality of the DISPLAY in our case the 2040/45 are EXCELLENT at 3D reproduction even the 2d/3d conversion is really good compared to many other types of display I have viewed. (Many much much more expensive than this) It is true that having a defective unit with bad convergence of focus will have a huge impact on this.

Quality of the glasses will matter on active display but there are good one for cheap and any FULLHD3D glasses will work on this PJ I have 2 cheap ones at the moment that do a great job.

Then theres the quality of the 3D production. Was it rendered in 3D afterwards or shot in 3D.
What was the intent of the director when using 3D was it to "POP OUT" (Mostly animation or family movies are done this way) or simply give a sense of depth to the image (Most major motion pictures whit some exception) and I believe thats what both of you are experiencing. What content (titles) did you try watching?.

Some content will have more crosstalk or ghosting regardless of what there displayed on. Sometimes 3d quality is really bad and mostly used as a gimmick. thats sad and it deters people from pursuing 3d watching witch can be a truly great experience also.

For Stunning 3D I strongly recommend THE LORAX on blu-ray everyone is blown away by that title. The legend of the Guardian also very good (flying chases). Both are relatively old and should be available for cheap. I bought both for under 15 CAD so around 10USD in budget bins at Wallmart.

Also the PS3 is a really good player you can even game on it

Last edited by The_Forth_Man; 01-28-2016 at 06:28 AM.
post #615 of 1872 Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Lol I'm in Canada

Who did you buy it from and where are you at I might be able to hook you up with a rep through my seller.

Phone Support is often subbed to third parties. That not the best but thats the state of things nowadays.

3D Viewing depends on many different factors to be a truly enjoyable experience. First the quality of the DISPLAY in our case the 2040/45 are EXCELLENT at 3D reproduction even the 2d/3d conversion is really good compared to many other types of display I have viewed. (Many much much more expensive than this) It is true that having a defective unit with bad convergence of focus will have a huge impact on this.

Quality of the glasses will matter on active display but there are good one for cheap and any FULLHD3D glasses will work on this PJ I have 2 cheap ones at the moment that do a great job.

Then theres the quality of the 3D production. Was it rendered in 3D afterwards or shot in 3D.
What was the intent of the director when using 3D was it to "POP OUT" (Mostly animation or family movies are done this way) or simply give a sense of depth to the image (Most major motion pictures whit some exception) and I believe thats what both of you are experiencing. What content (titles) did you try watching?.

Some content will have more crosstalk or ghosting regardless of what there displayed on. Sometimes 3d quality is really bad and mostly used as a gimmick. thats sad and it deters people from pursuing 3d watching witch can be a truly great experience also.

For Stunning 3D I strongly recommend THE LORAX on blu-ray everyone is blown away by that title. The legend of the Guardian also very good (flying chases). Both are relatively old and should be available for cheap. I bought both for under 15 CAD so around 10USD in budget bins at Wallmart.

OK here's a little more info - I bought it from Visions.ca, but I'm in Whitby, Ontario. They eventually sent me to a service center in Whitby that appears to do medical equipment. I've emailed to make sure it's the right place haha.

I have two sets of 3D glasses - Samsung and some no-name. They both perform identically. The 3D is quite good - except that I see crosstalk. The example I gave a page or two back was Mad Max. On the menu screen, it's separated into two fields - the background and the foreground. The foreground is 3D. I can see the 3D just fine, the problem is I can see part of the left image in the right eye and part of the right image in the left eye. Not a lot, like 10% brightness. But then it happens EVERYWHERE in the movie where there's an edge and high contrast. So I tried other 3D stuff. Avatar, Nightmare Before Christmas, Minions, all retail 3D releases and all the same.

I also have a bit of pincushion.. maybe I should have lead with that complaint.
post #616 of 1872 Old 01-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
As the other poster said, some 3D just doesn't seem to be done well. I'll see if I can locate Mad Max and tell you if I experience the same problem. For me, Guardians of the Galaxy was amazing, while Jurassic World had issues and could only focus on a plain or two and the rest were ghosting.

The forced 2D to 3D works wonderfully on my current projector. Never a bit of ghosting. It's amazing with 3D games, heck, even side scrolling beat 'em ups like castle crashers add depth. For me my 3D viewing experience completely depends on the source.
post #617 of 1872 Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Loosely related, but can anyone with a 2D viewable version of MadMax give it a try using the 2D-3D converter and report back how it's handled?
Particularly the scene where Immortan Joe is shown looking through the telescope at the rig up until he confronts Ms Giddy in the safe along with some of the buzzard (spiky cars) chase scene.

Do some of the effects like the end of the telescope pop-out a bit and does the conversion generally seem to know what to do with the image for proper foreground and background depth?

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #618 of 1872 Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Lol I'm in Canada

Thank you for that explanation. I think I may have been expecting something else with the 3d. Still cool. Going to pick up a dedicated dvd player too and Dvds and see how that looks.

post #619 of 1872 Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalSegno View Post
OK here's a little more info - I bought it from Visions.ca, but I'm in Whitby, Ontario. They eventually sent me to a service center in Whitby that appears to do medical equipment. I've emailed to make sure it's the right place haha.

I have two sets of 3D glasses - Samsung and some no-name. They both perform identically. The 3D is quite good - except that I see crosstalk. The example I gave a page or two back was Mad Max. On the menu screen, it's separated into two fields - the background and the foreground. The foreground is 3D. I can see the 3D just fine, the problem is I can see part of the left image in the right eye and part of the right image in the left eye. Not a lot, like 10% brightness. But then it happens EVERYWHERE in the movie where there's an edge and high contrast. So I tried other 3D stuff. Avatar, Nightmare Before Christmas, Minions, all retail 3D releases and all the same.

I also have a bit of pincushion.. maybe I should have lead with that complaint.
What is your screen size and what are your 3D settings? did you change the screen size and/or the 3D depth. The 3D depth setting will introduce such a thing as what your experiencing ( I screwed around with my settings yesterday to try and reproduce what your experiencing)

Quote:
Thank you for that explanation. I think I may have been expecting something else with the 3d. Still cool. Going to pick up a dedicated dvd player too and Dvds and see how that looks.

Make sure you buy A BLU-RAY player not DVD and that it support. Also I wasnt kidding the PS3 is a good all around blu-ray player / does have NETFLIX / PLEX and a slew of other video apps native support. It does also support RGB Full range / deep color (12bits) / Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr super white (wide color range)/ supports all the audio formats (even atmos) and has an added bonus it will play games (3D one I might ad) and most of all since the PS4 came out the priced dropped or you can find used ones for dirt cheap.

If you buy a Regular Blu-ray player Make sure it's 3D and supports all formats.
post #620 of 1872 Old 01-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Epson 2040 Calibrations settings

New to this forum and projectors in general. Just purchased the Epson 2040. I am going to be mounting it on the ceiling onto a fixed 106' silver ticket screen. Room is pretty dark with black out shades and blinds.

I was hoping to get people to share their calibration settings or main things that I should change or features to use with this new projector. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
post #621 of 1872 Old 01-29-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I'm a hobbyist calibrator. I did a quick and dirty calibration on my 2040 but as results can vary from unit to unit and based upon your environment my settings would be meaningless.

But having sad that I would suggest the following :

Natural Mode

Color Space (I forget wjat they call it but you should be able to figure it out): 6500k This will still look a bit too cold/blue. I would change it to 6000k unless you think that looks too red. To me 6000k looks closer to a calibrated display.

Put it in Fine Mode. Set Image Enhancement to Preset #2 .

Turn Epson Super White to On.

Set bulb to Eco unless you need the brightness. FI should be whatever you like. Turn iris to normal.

Pretty much this!

Since every room and PJ are different its quite hard to give more accurate advice. What AMARTIN56 suggested does yield nice result and concur whit him.

Also color temp 6000k happens to be around 6350k and 6500k around 7000k so 6000k yields a truer color.
post #622 of 1872 Old 01-29-2016, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Finally starting to get my 2045 dialed in and am liking the picture more and more every day. I am lucky enough to have a light controlled room and now have nice dark, matte blue walls to reduce reflection. I've found I can actually get really decent blacks with the following few settings;

Source: PC over HDMI (Blu Ray drive and MP4s)
Screen: now 120" paint on wall drywall. CIL Universal Grey (N8) in eggshell (no hot spotting)
Cinema mode Eco
Epson Super White set to "off"
HDMI under "signal" menu set to "expanded"
Brightness down below 40 (still working on it but somewhere between 36 and 39)
Contrast up over 60 (again, still working on the perfect balance)
color temp to 6000k

I personally found these to be good starting points, I know that these setting will lose you some shadow detail but I find the trade off for the richer black and color to be well worth it. I am not going for a realistic representation as per a calibration tool, I am simply trying to get the picture as close to my 51" Samsung Plasma as I can (and I'm getting very close).

On a side note: I might just try re-rolling my screen in an N7 to see if it will allow me to achieve the same black levels I'm getting now but with the benefit of slightly better shadow detail due to not having to drop the brightness quite so much in the projector menu. I've found even on eco mode that this projector throws out a bit too much light for my screen in a totally dark room.

Have fun all!
post #623 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLoad View Post
Finally starting to get my 2045 dialed in and am liking the picture more and more every day. I am lucky enough to have a light controlled room and now have nice dark, matte blue walls to reduce reflection. I've found I can actually get really decent blacks with the following few settings;

Source: PC over HDMI (Blu Ray drive and MP4s)
Screen: now 120" paint on wall drywall. CIL Universal Grey (N8) in eggshell (no hot spotting)
Cinema mode Eco
Epson Super White set to "off"
HDMI under "signal" menu set to "expanded"
Brightness down below 40 (still working on it but somewhere between 36 and 39)
Contrast up over 60 (again, still working on the perfect balance)
color temp to 6000k

I personally found these to be good starting points, I know that these setting will lose you some shadow detail but I find the trade off for the richer black and color to be well worth it. I am not going for a realistic representation as per a calibration tool, I am simply trying to get the picture as close to my 51" Samsung Plasma as I can (and I'm getting very close).

On a side note: I might just try re-rolling my screen in an N7 to see if it will allow me to achieve the same black levels I'm getting now but with the benefit of slightly better shadow detail due to not having to drop the brightness quite so much in the projector menu. I've found even on eco mode that this projector throws out a bit too much light for my screen in a totally dark room.

Have fun all!
I appreciate your post. I am having the projector installed tomorrow morning and can not wait to test it out with these setting as starting points! I will let you know how it goes!
DrLoad likes this.
post #624 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3830 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
One thing I've been curious about is how much the 2040/2045 narrows the gap with DLP on motion handling and image sharpness, where DLP has had an advantage over LCD in entry level projectors. The Frame Interpretation and Image Enhancement features should make the image more DLP-like. It would be interesting to know if those who've had previous experience with DLP think those two features on the 2040/2045 reduce or eliminate the gap.
post #625 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
I don't have a lot of experience with DLP since they make me ill but I feel like my 2040 is very sharp. I'd say my 40ES has a natural film like image but the 2040 appears sharper. Part of this is probably the more defined pixel structure but the rest is probably due to Sony skimping on their lens quality a bit.
post #626 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 07:53 PM

I would agree that the 2040/45 have a wonderfully sharp image. Motion blur with frame interpolation of is still noticeable in action scenes, turning it on gave me a definite "soap opera effect" and some stuttering though I think the stutter was due to the signal format from my PC. I'm totally fine with the motion with FI turned off.

Cheers!
post #627 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I too think the 2045 is very sharp and DLP like. I had the BenQ HT2050 and like the Epson more, just because the image is just as good, and I don't care about leaving it on since the bulb is cheap.
I watched 1080i and 720p football past two weekends on directv native and OTA native. I played the same football passes over and over again with all sources and FI off and on. Football looks amazing on this projector with FI off, and even better with it on and set to low. Med and High would distort the football when passed fast... almost like a double image of the football. It did this on both 1080i and 720p, and both OTA and directv locals... so I just keep it on low all the time... except when watching a movie I turn it off.

Last night my wife rented the movie Pan from redbox. Lots of dark scenes, and it looked amazing... and she accidently rented the DVD and not the blu-ray! I could easlily tell it was DVD, but once you get involved in the movie you forget about it! But I did keep trying to look for poor contrast/black levels... and never bothered me at all. The 2045 seems great!
post #628 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
I too think the 2045 is very sharp and DLP like. I had the BenQ HT2050 and like the Epson more, just because the image is just as good, and I don't care about leaving it on since the bulb is cheap.
I watched 1080i and 720p football past two weekends on directv native and OTA native. I played the same football passes over and over again with all sources and FI off and on. Football looks amazing on this projector with FI off, and even better with it on and set to low. Med and High would distort the football when passed fast... almost like a double image of the football. It did this on both 1080i and 720p, and both OTA and directv locals... so I just keep it on low all the time... except when watching a movie I turn it off.

Last night my wife rented the movie Pan from redbox. Lots of dark scenes, and it looked amazing... and she accidently rented the DVD and not the blu-ray! I could easlily tell it was DVD, but once you get involved in the movie you forget about it! But I did keep trying to look for poor contrast/black levels... and never bothered me at all. The 2045 seems great!
Particularly with the movie, did you have the dynamic iris on or off?
If on, what setting did you prefer?

Thanks for the info with FrameInterpolation and sports.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #629 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Service Menu for Convergence Grid Access . . .

I know how to get into the service menu of the 2040, but I can't enable the test pattern (grid) so that the LCD panels can be "touched up". This was easy with the older Epson units . . . the dip switch and bit settings aren't the same with the 2040. It would be nice if there was access to turn this feature on. Has anyone been able to find out what to change?

Thanks!
post #630 of 1872 Old 01-30-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post
I know how to get into the service menu of the 2040, but I can't enable the test pattern (grid) so that the LCD panels can be "touched up". This was easy with the older Epson units . . . the dip switch and bit settings aren't the same with the 2040. It would be nice if there was access to turn this feature on. Has anyone been able to find out what to change?

Thanks!
By "touched up" do you mean altering the panel convergence? I would also like to know if this is possible as I would love to tighten up my image the 1/4 pixel it's out.

I've actually turned my auto iris off, I found I noticed the noise it made a little too often and that I really didn't benefit that much from it in my dark room. I've actually made the final call to pick up a can of N7 CIL to do some tests as I think I've got the lumens to pull it off.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the film of the evening.Loving this projector!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page