The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 1870 Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How bad is vertical keystone? I need about 2 to keep my display straight. The issue is I have a vaulted ceiling and even with the longest drop down supported by the mount the corner of the image is clipping on one of the ceilings and thus I have to aim it down ever so Slightly.

If anyone has a brilliant idea of how to keep the mount and make it a straight image I'd love to hear it!
Daemun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 1870 Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,933
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Some people notice the slightly visible artifacts created by using digital keystone and some don't. The only way to know for sure how it will affect you is to try using it yourself. Obviously the best image is without any keystone, so if you're a perfectionist you should explore any options to move the screen slightly higher or add some kind of spacer to the projector mount.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #663 of 1870 Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemun View Post
How bad is vertical keystone? I need about 2 to keep my display straight. The issue is I have a vaulted ceiling and even with the longest drop down supported by the mount the corner of the image is clipping on one of the ceilings and thus I have to aim it down ever so Slightly.

If anyone has a brilliant idea of how to keep the mount and make it a straight image I'd love to hear it!
I had similar problem. I've cheap mount and the center of the mount didn't end up in the center of the weight of PJ - it was to the front and above Epson logo.. So it naturally titled upward and to one side. You can solve this using washers, even nuts and longer screws on the front (especially one side). This way mount should be titled, but PJ should remain more or less straight. I attached photo, it is of bad quality, but maybe you can spot thick washer between mount and PJ. Hope this helps anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Is it 58 or 59 after you did the fireware? I have the euroversion but I can't find any new updates. I'm not at home but I think I got the 58.
59 (first two digit) and 103 (last three digits) is after firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
He also has the EU version but et has the 5350 witch would be 2045 in NA.

he had the EU firmware but he upgraded with the NA version that had a new version out.

So that's probably why the 58 turned to 59. the firmware version his the last 3 numbers 102 vs 103.

1.03 or 103 is the most recent NA version.

the 58 / 59 could be region numbers I have a 2040 (NA) and have 59 starting serial number also.

Upgrading with a FIRMWARE that hasn't been released in your region MIGHT (i doubt it but still) void your warranty.

EDIT: upon verification my MAIN firmware is 580075647WWWV102 the VIDEO2 is 59l27WMV102 disregard region code it doesn't seem related.
Before I even attempted upgrade I did run checksums for firmware from different projectors. They seem to be identical for both American and European version, just packaging changes. Also updates seem to hit US earlier than Europe. First two digit doesn't seem to be relevant, as service manuals for other projectors points out just last three numbers as firmware version.

Still updating firmware is a risky business and you can brick your projector, so be advised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160203-00112.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1228441  
ptmelville is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 1870 Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmelville View Post
I had similar problem. I've cheap mount and the center of the mount didn't end up in the center of the weight of PJ - it was to the front and above Epson logo.. So it naturally titled upward and to one side. You can solve this using washers, even nuts and longer screws on the front (especially one side). This way mount should be titled, but PJ should remain more or less straight. I attached photo, it is of bad quality, but maybe you can spot thick washer between mount and PJ. Hope this helps anyhow.



59 (first two digit) and 103 (last three digits) is after firmware update.



Before I even attempted upgrade I did run checksums for firmware from different projectors. They seem to be identical for both American and European version, just packaging changes. Also updates seem to hit US earlier than Europe. First two digit doesn't seem to be relevant, as service manuals for other projectors points out just last three numbers as firmware version.

Still updating firmware is a risky business and you can brick your projector, so be advised.
I got 102 in both Main and Video2. So the update have hit US before the rest of us? What's in the new update? Any news?

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
westbergjoakim is offline  
post #665 of 1870 Old 02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
I activated bits 2 to 7 last night just to see if I could replicate what you did.

Processing all BITS one by one this morning. Turn out I started on the wrong side... I chose to start by turning them all off except bit 7 then 6, and so on.... turns out its BIT 2


so DIP-SW 7 BIT 2 - on position 1 turn on bluetooth hidden menu.


My guess regarding the structures of the menu is that it could be more complicated than that. They probably follow a condition protocol where IF DIP 5 bit 2 is on 1 and DIP 7 bit 5 is also on 1 then make this happen. Thats probably why they can hide menus like this. If it was a simple on and off thing then we could simply turn everything to on and be blessed with all the hidden goodies that are supposed to be only on the higher priced brothers.

It would make sense for them on a manufacturer/ money stand point to use a lot of the same parts when they can. It would also make a lot of sense to use the same base firmware and then tweak it to the various different component. You save a LOT of money that way.

Regarding the 2000/2030 I would be curious to look at their DIP setting too Frame Interpolation and Image enhancement might be Unlock-able if there only firmware related and not linked to mechanical parts. I think that their processor aren't probably strong enough tho.

All of this is just hypothetical I'm thinking aloud here
DIP SW7 Bit 2 is is - I can confirm that, headphones did pair indeed. Your PJ took a lot of cool downs for that - at least we unlocked that. I hope that you will find some use for newly unlocked menu.

As for 2030 it is hard to say, it uses different firmware and maybe it doesn't go beyond DIP SW6, similar to other projectors.

btw. I have send you PM regarding service manual for TW4500. I was bugging you, because after looking at service manuals for different Epson projectors, some switches seems to be reserved for same the functionality e.g. all bits in SW3 are for "set time to sleep mode" it seems: 11110 is 30 in decimal (I just need to refresh my memory about endianness of bits to make sense out of this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
I got 102 in both Main and Video2. So the update have hit US before the rest of us? What's in the new update? Any news?
I'm not sure to be honest, I did share some feelings about before, but I didn't see any release notes for this update.
ptmelville is offline  
post #666 of 1870 Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SKoprowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ended up exchanging the 2045 and the new one is perfect. Color uniformity is good. Unfortunately the short throw really is not going to work with my setup. I thought it wouldn't be a problem but I have to drop the projector too low from the ceiling if I want to use the projector without any keystoning. I got a real good deal and the projector came with gift cards I will lose if I return it so I would rather sell it. If anyone in NE Ohio (Cleveland, Akron, Canton) is interested in an almost brand new projector let me know.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
SKoprowski is offline  
post #667 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Guys I picked up my epson about 2 months ago. So far everything has been great I can not really complain. I mainly use it for Cable TV (Comcast) and the XBOX video games, blue ray movies, Plex, etc. How are you guys checking uniformity, convergence, etc. Are you running different youtube videos or DVD's to check for these things on screen? I do feel that the text can be pretty grainy in the guide for TV (runs 1080i not 1080p). 1080p blue rays however look absolutely incredible (3d Avengers age of Ultron was mind blowing!)

Thanks in advance!
xbladr is offline  
post #668 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
Guys I picked up my epson about 2 months ago. So far everything has been great I can not really complain. I mainly use it for Cable TV (Comcast) and the XBOX video games, blue ray movies, Plex, etc. How are you guys checking uniformity, convergence, etc. Are you running different youtube videos or DVD's to check for these things on screen? I do feel that the text can be pretty grainy in the guide for TV (runs 1080i not 1080p). 1080p blue rays however look absolutely incredible (3d Avengers age of Ultron was mind blowing!)
One of the test posted before for focus and convergence (there were more I think - just check the thread): http://www.aaarpinball.com/Miscellaneous/p1080.htm

I think 1080i is at fault here. Personally I will take 720p over 1080i any day. There is even whole debate about it, part of it is explained in this video:
ptmelville is offline  
post #669 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
ptm thanks so much. I will be switching my cable box to 720p this evening and ill hop onto that webpage and do some testing. I will try to get to that page via my xbox browser if that does not work then I will hook up my laptop via hdmi for testing it.

Thanks again
xbladr is offline  
post #670 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
bobbyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sonora, CA, USA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My wife doesn't like how low the 2045 has to hang... she wanted me to put the benQ 2050 back up... but I sold the BenQ, because this is a living room/ambient light setup and the projector will get 2-4 hours a day of use... so that replacement bulb price of the Epson was the deciding factor.
I'm loving the Epson 2045.
bobbyc is offline  
post #671 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SKoprowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
My wife doesn't like how low the 2045 has to hang... she wanted me to put the benQ 2050 back up... but I sold the BenQ, because this is a living room/ambient light setup and the projector will get 2-4 hours a day of use... so that replacement bulb price of the Epson was the deciding factor.
I'm loving the Epson 2045.
We seat 14 feet back from a 92" screen and I have to mount the 2045 9 ft from the screen and drop it 14 inches from a 7 foot ceiling. It just looks goofy. My old projector had a long throw with lens shift and I could mount it all the way to the back of the seating area. The picture of the 2045 is great though and better then my 9 year old Hitachi PJ-TX100. My alternative is either an Epson 1040 that gives me another 15 inches of throw and 3 inches less from the ceiling, or an Epson 3500 that is much more money and bulbs are 3x as much.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
SKoprowski is offline  
post #672 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does this look normal for focus. I thought it was weird that it like like the underside of a dome. The convergence was good tough as all plus signs were proper color. Yellow, aqua, or white.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1454643946802.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1230993

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #673 of 1870 Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
That was using the aaarpinball link fyi

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #674 of 1870 Old 02-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Member
 
leaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like a screen between 120" to 140" and prefer to stay under $200. I have been reading posts on this forum the last couple of days and I have seen several recommend Carl's ALR screen. Is that my best option given the room and viewing details below:



Viewing details:
  • Mainly as a large TV (2-3 hours a day).
  • Occasionally will view movies (once a week).
  • Have the Epson 2045. Will order a TV tuner.
  • Will watch 3D movies often with the kids.


Room details:
  • Basement area being finished: 16' x 45' (one big room; doing finishing myself).
  • Screen going in on 16' side.
  • Basement is quite dark without lights on.
  • Installing 32 65W LED dimmable lights in two zones (each zone is half basement and has its own dimmer switch).
  • Main use: family room. Occasionally will watch a movie (once a week).
leaves is offline  
post #675 of 1870 Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaves View Post
I would like a screen between 120" to 140" and prefer to stay under $200. I have been reading posts on this forum the last couple of days and I have seen several recommend Carl's ALR screen. Is that my best option given the room and viewing details below:



Viewing details:
  • Mainly as a large TV (2-3 hours a day).
  • Occasionally will view movies (once a week).
  • Have the Epson 2045. Will order a TV tuner.
  • Will watch 3D movies often with the kids.


Room details:
  • Basement area being finished: 16' x 45' (one big room; doing finishing myself).
  • Screen going in on 16' side.
  • Basement is quite dark without lights on.
  • Installing 32 65W LED dimmable lights in two zones (each zone is half basement and has its own dimmer switch).
  • Main use: family room. Occasionally will watch a movie (once a week).
I just had a Silver Ticket 106" installed on a 10 foot wall and it looks great. Purchased it from Amazon for just about $200. I have it in a bonus room that I have four canned lights on dimmers. Use it with the Epson 2040 and the picture is great! Hope that helps
nitsujk1 is offline  
post #676 of 1870 Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Member
 
leaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsujk1 View Post
I just had a Silver Ticket 106" installed on a 10 foot wall and it looks great. Purchased it from Amazon for just about $200. I have it in a bonus room that I have four canned lights on dimmers. Use it with the Epson 2040 and the picture is great! Hope that helps


Thanks! Does the picture look washed out if you increase the room brightness? I am wondering if an ALR screen would be better in a family room environment, compared to a dedicated theater room? I like the 2045 as the brightness is high -- hopefully better for the family room type of environment.


My wife was not too eager about a projector. I just got it last night, and played Fantastic Four on a tan colored wall with the projector. She was blown away! I am very excited about installing the projector.
leaves is offline  
post #677 of 1870 Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaves View Post
Thanks! Does the picture look washed out if you increase the room brightness? I am wondering if an ALR screen would be better in a family room environment, compared to a dedicated theater room? I like the 2045 as the brightness is high -- hopefully better for the family room type of environment.


My wife was not too eager about a projector. I just got it last night, and played Fantastic Four on a tan colored wall with the projector. She was blown away! I am very excited about installing the projector.
Yes as I raise the lighting on the dimmer switch the picture does start to lose its crispness if you know what I mean. The 2040/2045 is bright enough that you would be able to use it with the Silver Ticket screen with ambient lighting. Without being in the room right now, I would say that I could turn the lights to about half way and still be able to watch the screen. Past that you may be losing details.

Good to hear that your wife was impressed. I got the go ahead from mine and she is also impressed with the image quality. I have learned in messing around with it last two nights, that diff channels have diff quality of broadcasts. One thing I have been reading is to turn your box to 720P instead of 1080I Going to try that tonight as well.
nitsujk1 is offline  
post #678 of 1870 Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaves View Post
Thanks! Does the picture look washed out if you increase the room brightness? I am wondering if an ALR screen would be better in a family room environment, compared to a dedicated theater room? I like the 2045 as the brightness is high -- hopefully better for the family room type of environment.


My wife was not too eager about a projector. I just got it last night, and played Fantastic Four on a tan colored wall with the projector. She was blown away! I am very excited about installing the projector.
FYI... I purchased the 106"Silver Ticket white screen for $209

[
nitsujk1 is offline  
post #679 of 1870 Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 AM
Member
 
Willshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The ALR has a bit higher gain than Silver Ticket. Suppose to have better contrast too. Silver Tickets are good, but if you have the skill to make your own frame you'll save a bit with just buying some carl material. Best to try and get a sample pack of the different materials. I like the Flexigray myself, works well with how bright the 2040 is, and can handle ambient lighting. When I finish closing on my house, I'll make a larger screen. With all the positive reviews of the ALR, it's my first choice at the moment.
Willshire is offline  
post #680 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
bobbyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sonora, CA, USA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What is everyone's thoughts on the best settings for the game today? I was thinking normal or bright cinema with eco off. I like the extra 'punch' eco off gives to the screen during the day.

Regarding resolution, I can set my Denon AVR-S910W to pass thru the 1080i from CBS OTA, or I can have it convert to 1080p. Frame Interpolation Low on Epson.

Thoughts?
bobbyc is offline  
post #681 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 AM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Be careful with the 'Bright' modes on the 2040/2045. They REALLY push green. If you have a neutral screen or wall you can see it by eye but a meter would REALLY point it out. By careful I don't mean it will hurt the projector... It will just look like $#&! Eco off is fine if you don't mind the fan noise.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #682 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nearest known city Montreal
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on the best settings for the game today? I was thinking normal or bright cinema with eco off. I like the extra 'punch' eco off gives to the screen during the day.

Regarding resolution, I can set my Denon AVR-S910W to pass thru the 1080i from CBS OTA, or I can have it convert to 1080p. Frame Interpolation Low on Epson.

Thoughts?
I would either put your box to 720p and let the avr upscale to 1080p if you can (please watch that vid a couple of posts up it's really clear why you should especially for sports.)

or better CBS will enable free live stream from their app without needing an account or credentials so a ROKU or Apple TV should get you 1080p.

As for mode I'll go with Natural no iris maybe low FI but I generally dont care for FI.
The_Forth_Man is offline  
post #683 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on the best settings for the game today? I was thinking normal or bright cinema with eco off. I like the extra 'punch' eco off gives to the screen during the dayp
I use those for gaming: IRIS off, Detail Enhancement offf, Fast Mode on, Eco, Natural. I don't think color matching is that important for gaming, even Dynamic could work for majority of games.
ptmelville is offline  
post #684 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nearest known city Montreal
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmelville View Post
I use those for gaming: IRIS off, Detail Enhancement offf, Fast Mode on, Eco, Natural. I don't think color matching is that important for gaming, even Dynamic could work for majority of games.
He was referring to the "Super Bowl" I think
The_Forth_Man is offline  
post #685 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nearest known city Montreal
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
Does this look normal for focus. I thought it was weird that it like like the underside of a dome. The convergence was good tough as all plus signs were proper color. Yellow, aqua, or white.Attachment 1230993

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
what where your exact settings on aaarpinball and PJ

I have to admit that seems really odd?

I'll test and try to replicate given your settings.
The_Forth_Man is offline  
post #686 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
bobbyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sonora, CA, USA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
I would either put your box to 720p and let the avr upscale to 1080p if you can (please watch that vid a couple of posts up it's really clear why you should especially for sports.)

or better CBS will enable free live stream from their app without needing an account or credentials so a ROKU or Apple TV should get you 1080p.

As for mode I'll go with Natural no iris maybe low FI but I generally dont care for FI.
I think the bitrate of OTA 1080i will have more info and frames than the online stream... but I'm just assuming.
I have the denon set to 1080p. My logic behind that is that the Denon probably has a better deinterlacing algorithm than the cheap OTA rca tuner... and the epson probably likes 1080p better than 1080i.
bobbyc is offline  
post #687 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nearest known city Montreal
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
I think the bitrate of OTA 1080i will have more info and frames than the online stream... but I'm just assuming.
I have the denon set to 1080p. My logic behind that is that the Denon probably has a better deinterlacing algorithm than the cheap OTA rca tuner... and the epson probably likes 1080p better than 1080i.
What model Tuner do you have?? The denon would probalby also do a better job upscaling 720p to 1080p. From what I understand from all of this his that 1080i cannot be "UPSCALED" to 1080p it's just de-interlaced. Because the tv or PJ can't display it interlaced so you get the weird effect for fast motion. But I might be wrong. Test wether upscaled 720 looks better than just de-intalecd 1080.

I think ESPN is still in 720p or at least they where.
The_Forth_Man is offline  
post #688 of 1870 Old 02-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does anyone notice the 3D effect somewhat weak with the 2040?

Compared to my BenQ w1070, 3D Blurays seem less involving - sometimes looking more like 2D playback. I'm using compatible Samsung glasses, which pair nicely with the 2040.

I've been playing with the 3D settings in both my Samsung BD player and my Epson 2040. The BD player as well as the projector have input fields for the screen size. My BenQ projector, however, doesn't ask for screen size info. Maybe the screen size data should only be supplied to one device - not both?

I've also played with increasing the 3D effect on the 2040, whereby the L & R images are spaced further apart to help highten the sense of depth. Although this does help, the 3D itself still seems "meh". I've tested several known titles to test with. Although the 3D isn't as aggresive as with the BenQ, I am happy that the ghosting is quite minimal compared to other projectors and flat panels I've seen. The brightness is fantastic too.

Any thought on the 3D with the 2040 or 1045

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #689 of 1870 Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
what where your exact settings on aaarpinball and PJ

I have to admit that seems really odd?

I'll test and try to replicate given your settings.
Aarpinball I just ran through what they suggested. The 9 steps or so. I did this over hdmi cable to my laptop. Laptop runs 1080p. I had it on hdmi extended and I was projecting the white dots. It was on the second color setting not dynamic but the bright preset still on eco.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #690 of 1870 Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SKoprowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Update: I decided to keep the 2045. Got it installed Saturday. It's not perfect as I found it very difficult to ceiling mount a projector without lens shift but I got it for the most part. The projector is perfectly level. Color uniformity seems great and convergence is also good. It is definitely sharper and brighter then my old 720p Hitachi PJ-TX100 and more film like. Black level however is really about the same and contrast only slightly better. I thought going from 1,200:1 to 35,000:1 would be a lot more dramatic. Gaming on the 2045 is just fantastic and basically was lag free to me. I played a lot of Black Ops 3 yesterday before the Superbowl and actually had mostly positive k/d ratios for a change (I am usually happy if I break even). I am wondering if the lower input lag has helped. Colors are just vibrant and skins tones are really good. Overall it is a worthy upgrade. I do miss the lens shift and the longer zoom though but can live with it. My only issue is a very slight bowing on the bottom of the image. It really is only noticeable by picky people like me and from what I ready is a common issue with the 2030/2040 projectors. It does not seem to distract from the image quality and I think I will just live with it.

On a side note: For those using Chief RPA universal ceiling mounts they have these cool rails you can buy that allows you to horizontally shift the projector once you have the mount installed. It really helps with installs and I highly recommend them. I don't know how someone can not use something like that to ceiling mount a projector without lens shift in an existing home theater.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
SKoprowski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off