The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes

post #691 of 1871 Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post
Update: I decided to keep the 2045. Got it installed Saturday. It's not perfect as I found it very difficult to ceiling mount a projector without lens shift but I got it for the most part. The projector is perfectly level. Color uniformity seems great and convergence is also good. It is definitely sharper and brighter then my old 720p Hitachi PJ-TX100 and more film like. Black level however is really about the same and contrast only slightly better. I thought going from 1,200:1 to 35,000:1 would be a lot more dramatic. Gaming on the 2045 is just fantastic and basically was lag free to me. I played a lot of Black Ops 3 yesterday before the Superbowl and actually had mostly positive k/d ratios for a change (I am usually happy if I break even). I am wondering if the lower input lag has helped. Colors are just vibrant and skins tones are really good. Overall it is a worthy upgrade. I do miss the lens shift and the longer zoom though but can live with it. My only issue is a very slight bowing on the bottom of the image. It really is only noticeable by picky people like me and from what I ready is a common issue with the 2030/2040 projectors. It does not seem to distract from the image quality and I think I will just live with it.

On a side note: For those using Chief RPA universal ceiling mounts they have these cool rails you can buy that allows you to horizontally shift the projector once you have the mount installed. It really helps with installs and I highly recommend them. I don't know how someone can not use something like that to ceiling mount a projector without lens shift in an existing home theater.
Mine bows too at the bottom. I read it on here as a common problem. So I've learned to live with it. Mine isn't that bad at all. Maybe others have more of a bow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1871 Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has anyone performed the 1.03 2040 / 2045 firmware update? When did Epson make this f/w version available for download? I just found it tonight on the Epson US site, but perhaps it's been available for quite some time. Does anyone know what it brings to the mix?

I got my 2040 about 2 weeks ago, so maybe it already has this f/w version installed. I should have checked my f/w version before putting the projector away. I won't be installing it for a month or so once I get the room completed where it will be ceiling mounted.

Thanks.

Ian
post #693 of 1871 Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post
Has anyone performed the 1.03 2040 / 2045 firmware update? When did Epson make this f/w version available for download? I just found it tonight on the Epson US site, but perhaps it's been available for quite some time. Does anyone know what it brings to the mix?

I got my 2040 about 2 weeks ago, so maybe it already has this f/w version installed. I should have checked my f/w version before putting the projector away. I won't be installing it for a month or so once I get the room completed where it will be ceiling mounted.

Thanks.

Ian
Where did you see the firmware on the US website? I can't find it under support. Thanks Update: Nevermind I found it...hmmmm...wondering I should chance it. Anyone else update it?

NE Ohio HT Nutt

Last edited by SKoprowski; 02-08-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1871 Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post
Where did you see the firmware on the US website? I can't find it under support. Thanks Update: Nevermind I found it...hmmmm...wondering I should chance it. Anyone else update it?
If you do update, please let us know what you find. I might pull my projector out of storage, fire it up and do the update -- that is, assuming the unit isn't already running the 1.03 firmware posted at Epson.

Looking forward to hearing what you find!

Ian
post #695 of 1871 Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm closing on my house this week as well. Buying the 2045 this week, my goal is to run it on Eco mode with a white silver ticket screen because how bright the projector is. I just watched it at a friends house in 3D on ECO mode and it was great. But this is a dedicated media room with full light control. I'm still on the fence of doing a screen on my own. I will have a dedicated media room so I can do that as well.
My friend had a small piece of grey screen as well and it helped with the black level but the other colors were thrown off. I bet the ALR would be better.
post #696 of 1871 Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdsupra View Post
I'm closing on my house this week as well. Buying the 2045 this week, my goal is to run it on Eco mode with a white silver ticket screen because how bright the projector is. I just watched it at a friends house in 3D on ECO mode and it was great. But this is a dedicated media room with full light control. I'm still on the fence of doing a screen on my own. I will have a dedicated media room so I can do that as well.
My friend had a small piece of grey screen as well and it helped with the black level but the other colors were thrown off. I bet the ALR would be better.
Carls ALR is grey (based on the sample they sent me). Not sure what the other company ALR screens are like.
post #697 of 1871 Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I did not have a chance to play last night. I will probably upgrade the firmware tonight if I don't have 1.03 already.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #698 of 1871 Old 02-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why haven't the firmware reached Europe yet? Still no clue what the update is about? Have anyone tried to contact Epson about it?

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
post #699 of 1871 Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Epson support just got back to me regarding the release notes of the v 1.03 firmware update.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Epson.

Added the destination for EUL. This is an internal projector update not related to the projector performance.

If you require further assistance with this particular issue, please ensure all of our previous correspondence is contained in your reply, so we can better track the history of this issue.

If you have a different issue, please submit another E-form via our website (http://www.epson.com), and we will respond in a timely manner. Thank you again for contacting Epson.
So I guess no real need for update after all.
post #700 of 1871 Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 PM
faz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm having a really difficult time with my new Epson 2045. I've calibrated it using the THX tune-up app, but I'm just not satisfied with the picture. I'm not sure if it's this particular unit that is having problems or my expectations are too high. I have another post going (Need some help with choosing the correct projector to display on a 92" screen), but someone suggested I post some pictures here and see what you guys think. These are from my AppleTV (1080p) and without any external light. It's being projected onto a Silver Light projector. The black levels are not very good and most of the time, especially when watching FIOS tv, the colors are all washed out. Is this about what I can expect with this unit? Or do I possibly have a defective one?
post #701 of 1871 Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
faz

Forgot to add the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455161113928.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1245417   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455161121662.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1245425   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455161130725.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1245433   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455161140445.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1245441  
post #702 of 1871 Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I'm having a really difficult time with my new Epson 2045. I've calibrated it using the THX tune-up app, but I'm just not satisfied with the picture. I'm not sure if it's this particular unit that is having problems or my expectations are too high. I have another post going (Need some help with choosing the correct projector to display on a 92" screen), but someone suggested I post some pictures here and see what you guys think. These are from my AppleTV (1080p) and without any external light. It's being projected onto a Silver Light projector. The black levels are not very good and most of the time, especially when watching FIOS tv, the colors are all washed out. Is this about what I can expect with this unit? Or do I possibly have a defective one?
Hi, Faz . . .

It's hard to guage color and / or contrast from pics taken from a projection screen. What I see on my monitor may not be faithful to what you are
seeing with the naked eye. The pics don't appear to looked washed out at all. The colors look a bit aggressive to me . . . but these examples may be from prpgram content that was color graded to look this way.

When you are tying to calibrate, do you find any improvement from the color you got right out of the box? The color in cinema or natural (using eco) are pretty decent without making many (if any changes). If you didn't like the out of box color and can't improve on it, perhaps you have a defective unit. The black level performance of these low cost Epsons is pretty rough, I have to admit.

I have a couple of BenQ projectors (1070 and 1075) that have, to me, more film-like images with better blacks -- but they have a slight tendency to show the rainbow effect in dark scenes - especially combined with fast action. If you aren't bothered by rainbows, I highly recommend the BenQs. But, I love the 2040 too for it's fine quality at the $699.99 price point. Getting a high lumen projector with the advanced feature set of the 2040 for the price is worth it for me with the long-life $79.00 replacement lamps. Yes, I wish the projector could just dig a bit deeper at times into some inky blacks - but I look instead to what it does so well.

You might want to look at seeing if Epson, or your dealer, can swap out your 2040 for another unit. If the replacement isn't pleasing you I would check out a DLP for some better blacks.. If you get a higher end Epson model instead you may not like it much more than the 2040. I've had other more expensive Epson units (5010) and whille the black levels were better - they still weren't as awesome to me as many seem to feel they are..

For me the 2040 will be my flat panel replacement with its low cost of ownership that I can pile-up megga hours on without too much worry. But for you, the color and contrast are more important for your enjoyment.

I hope you can get a second unit to try in the event you have a bad 2040.

Good luck.

Ian
The_Forth_Man likes this.
post #703 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, Faz . . .

It's hard to guage color and / or contrast from pics taken from a projection screen. What I see on my monitor may not be faithful to what you are
seeing with the naked eye. The pics don't appear to looked washed out at all. The colors look a bit aggressive to me . . . but these examples may be from prpgram content that was color graded to look this way.

When you are tying to calibrate, do you find any improvement from the color you got right out of the box? The color in cinema or natural (using eco) are pretty decent without making many (if any changes). If you didn't like the out of box color and can't improve on it, perhaps you have a defective unit. The black level performance of these low cost Epsons is pretty rough, I have to admit.

I have a couple of BenQ projectors (1070 and 1075) that have, to me, more film-like images with better blacks -- but they have a slight tendency to show the rainbow effect in dark scenes - especially combined with fast action. If you aren't bothered by rainbows, I highly recommend the BenQs. But, I love the 2040 too for it's fine quality at the $699.99 price point. Getting a high lumen projector with the advanced feature set of the 2040 for the price is worth it for me with the long-life $79.00 replacement lamps. Yes, I wish the projector could just dig a bit deeper at times into some inky blacks - but I look instead to what it does so well.

You might want to look at seeing if Epson, or your dealer, can swap out your 2040 for another unit. If the replacement isn't pleasing you I would check out a DLP for some better blacks.. If you get a higher end Epson model instead you may not like it much more than the 2040. I've had other more expensive Epson units (5010) and whille the black levels were better - they still weren't as awesome to me as many seem to feel they are..

For me the 2040 will be my flat panel replacement with its low cost of ownership that I can pile-up megga hours on without too much worry. But for you, the color and contrast are more important for your enjoyment.

I hope you can get a second unit to try in the event you have a bad 2040.

Good luck.

Ian
@faz ,

Teeger (Ian) pretty much summed it up for you. But I have time on my hands today so I'll try to replicate your issue by using the THX app since it's free. It will not be a perfect replica since it uses the camera from the phones and supposedly takes room into account.

Meanwhile has Ian said the colors out the box are pretty good. If you look at page 15 (if I remember correctly ) there where talks about minor tweaks for best general picture. I would suggest you save your THX settings to a memory and switch back to out the box and compare.

Chris
post #704 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 04:51 AM
faz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
@faz ,

Teeger (Ian) pretty much summed it up for you. But I have time on my hands today so I'll try to replicate your issue by using the THX app since it's free. It will not be a perfect replica since it uses the camera from the phones and supposedly takes room into account.

Meanwhile has Ian said the colors out the box are pretty good. If you look at page 15 (if I remember correctly ) there where talks about minor tweaks for best general picture. I would suggest you save your THX settings to a memory and switch back to out the box and compare.

Chris
Yes, Teeger gave a great summary - thanks! This is what I was thinking and I'm trying to temper my expectations at this price point, but honestly, I was expecting a bit more. I was watching CNN and Fox News (no judgements please! ) last night and couldn't stop thinking that I wasn't happy with the quality. I've gone back and forth extensively with the color, brightness, contrast settings with the app, but even though I got the patterns to what they're supposed to be, the cable picture is not good. Understood that it's Fios TV and not some great source, but even the AppleTV outputting at 1080p was a little disappointing. There is a HW40ES in the classifieds that may be a good option... although at $1000 more, but if I want to be happy, it's what I think I have to do... unless you guys think I have a defective unit or something.

If you have the time and can see how it goes with the app, it would be awesome! Thanks.
post #705 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, Teeger gave a great summary - thanks! This is what I was thinking and I'm trying to temper my expectations at this price point, but honestly, I was expecting a bit more. I was watching CNN and Fox News (no judgements please! ) last night and couldn't stop thinking that I wasn't happy with the quality. I've gone back and forth extensively with the color, brightness, contrast settings with the app, but even though I got the patterns to what they're supposed to be, the cable picture is not good. Understood that it's Fios TV and not some great source, but even the AppleTV outputting at 1080p was a little disappointing. There is a HW40ES in the classifieds that may be a good option... although at $1000 more, but if I want to be happy, it's what I think I have to do... unless you guys think I have a defective unit or something.

If you have the time and can see how it goes with the app, it would be awesome! Thanks.

Well If you get the Sony I'm sure you'll love the PJ its a whole different beast but then again they are clearly not in the same price range.

I just went trough the Calibration on the 2040 using the THX app.

Keeping in mind that every room, projector etc. has variance I came up with this.

Starting fresh from the box with Natural setting on ECO mode Color temp at 6000k.

The only change I made was on COLOR I went from 50 to 43 if I follow their protocol.

It's not bad actually made the blacks "Look" better.

I'll fiddle with it a bit more when I put my real screen in place but I think you will probably be gone to another thread by then

I think you will be happy with the Sony or there are several JVC as well in the classifieds.

Last edited by The_Forth_Man; 02-11-2016 at 12:49 PM.
post #706 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 02:41 PM

Where can I find the THX disc?

post #707 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Where can I find the THX disc?

Its a free IOS app for Iphone.

It uses your Iphone Camera.

It's pretty basic, but simple and easy to follow.

It might be available for Android as well I do not know.

It doesn't cost a cent and takes about 10 minutes total.

Downside is its dependent on phone cam and raw eye feedback (what you see) since nobody see's
the same way 20/20 is a factor but not as much as color acuity, I guess result may vary. :roll eyes:

But by you should try it

Chris
post #708 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM

Does anyone have a recent Denon or Marantz AVR with ISF calibration menu.

My AVR died and I'm looking to replace it. Since those brands include a ISF calibration menu I'd like to know if anyone actually calibrated a display thought them?

That seems to be a good way of playing on that darn Gamma setting that's plaguing the 2040/45.

I would have to find those ISF special codes but eh!

any thoughts?
post #709 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 03:40 PM
faz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
Well If you get the Sony I'm sure you'll love the PJ its a whole different beast but then again they are clearly not in the same price range.

I just went trough the Calibration on the 2040 using the THX app.

Keeping in mind that every room, projector etc. has variance I came up with this.

Starting fresh from the box with Natural setting on ECO mode Color temp at 6000k.

The only change I made was on COLOR I went from 50 to 43 if I follow their protocol.

It's not bad actually made the blacks "Look" better.

I'll fiddle with it a bit more when I put my real screen in place but I think you will probably be gone to another thread by then

I think you will be happy with the Sony or there are several JVC as well in the classifieds.
Thank you! I'll keep you posted.
post #710 of 1871 Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Thumbs down Very poor costumer service from Epson

Greetings,

I've sent the projetor for exchange/repair on 28th Jan. More than 2 weeks ago, when I asked them what's happening they said my projector needs a optical block replacement and they've ordered one, but it hasn't arrived yet. They said "We will repair your projector, you don't need a replacement". I don't know what to do, I'm afraid of receiving the projector in a worst conditions. Is this normal, I'm beggining to think I will have to wait a month or more.

BR,
Danny

Last edited by danny92; 02-11-2016 at 08:05 PM.
post #711 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny92 View Post
Greetings,

I've sent the projetor for exchange/repair on 28th Jan. More than 2 weeks ago, when I asked them what's happening they said my projector needs a optical block replacement and they've ordered one, but it hasn't arrived yet. They said "We will repair your projector, you don't need a replacement". I don't know what to do, I'm afraid of receiving the projector in a worst conditions. Is this normal, I'm beggining to think I will have to wait a month or more.

BR,
Danny
Hi, Danny . . .

The way Epson is processing your service request seems a bit odd. Epson prides itself with their 2 year replacent service. An owner shouldn't be on the hook waiting for a repair. Did Epson explain why you don't seem to qualify for their usual exchange program?

In one way, i would actually prefer to get my own unit back repaired, as opposed to getting a refurb in exchange - even if I had to wait. I had my 5010 sent in for service, and the refurb they sent had a bunch of burnt pixels n the display. This is the reason I'd prefer my unit returned to me intead. If the repair they perform is problematic, they will ultimately make it right.

Ian
post #712 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Greetings,

BR,
Danny
Quote:
Hi, Danny . . .

The way Epson is processing your service request seems a bit odd. Epson prides itself with their 2 year replacent service. An owner shouldn't be on the hook waiting for a repair. Did Epson explain why you don't seem to qualify for their usual exchange program?

In one way, i would actually prefer to get my own unit back repaired, as opposed to getting a refurb in exchange - even if I had to wait. I had my 5010 sent in for service, and the refurb they sent had a bunch of burnt pixels n the display. This is the reason I'd prefer my unit returned to me intead. If the repair they perform is problematic, they will ultimately make it right.

Ian

Hi Danny,

I completely agree whit teeger on this and we talked about it on page 20 I would prefer a new one or my own fixed unit over a refurb. I find it odd not to say shocked that at only 90hours on the lamp they chosed to repair it instead of sending a new one and putting your through the refurb program.

Anyways you really had a focus problem it seems, the new optical block will be more thoroughly checked and they will probably make sure the image alignement is near perfect before they send it back to you. As stated previously you should end up with a perfect unit.

If its not the case and you find that it still has issues after getting it back call them up and DEMAND a new unit and refuse any settlement other than that.

Chris
post #713 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I watched Spectre last night on directv cinema hd. Blacks looked perfect. Normal and Eco and everything else default.

Maybe it's your screen? Mine is Carl's ALR material.

Last edited by bobbyc; 02-12-2016 at 10:11 AM.
post #714 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
I watched Sceptre last night on directv cinema hd. Blacks looked perfect. Normal and Eco and everything else default.

Superwhite or HDMI Normal /Extended?

post #715 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 06:58 AM
faz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
Quote:
I watched Sceptre last night on directv cinema hd. Blacks looked perfect. Normal and Eco and everything else default.

Hmmm.. Makes me think it may be my projector. I'm using the Silver Ticket screen. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AI...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #716 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Greetings,

BR,
Danny
Where did you send that projector ? I mean is that the retailer you bought the projector from or is it official Epson warranty service ?
post #717 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Superwhite or HDMI Normal /Extended?

Whatever the default is... not home to check
post #718 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
Where did you send that projector ? I mean is that the retailer you bought the projector from or is it official Epson warranty service ?
Greetings,

It's Epson warranty service. It's some company that repairs Epson products, Epson has sent the unit to them.

BR,
Danny
post #719 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi all,

I'll be in the market to upgrade my current projector (Optoma HD70) soon, and I was hoping for some honest feedback, particularly from folks who have seen this up against the BenQ 1075. I've read through the thread, but if there is any additional input for my priorities:

- Small-ish (10' x 16') living room, generally lots of ambient light, so need something bright.
- Due to a ceiling fan will have to mount off-axis no further than 8'-10' back, so H+V keystone are important.
- Primary use will be movies, including 3D. Not sensitive to rainbow effect, but I *am* annoyed by crosstalk/ghosting with 3D.
- Don't like judder, so I'm tempted by the Epson's frame interpolation feature, but I've also read comments that the BenQ handles motion better, so if someone could elaborate...?
- For someone who's seen both in ambient light and in the dark: how bad is the loss of contrast on the Epson, really? I understand I'll lose some contrast with the windows open, but I'd prefer a picture that's not *completely* washed out.
- How does the fan noise compare?
- Lastly, I have four pairs of Bit Cauldron/Monster 3D RF glasses from my old emitter setup. Can someone confirm that this will/won't work with the Epson? If yes, the savings on glasses (combined with the low cost of lamp replacement) might sway me.

Coming from an old 720p dlp with a too-long throw, I'm sure anything will be a step up, but would still like to avoid buyer's remorse.
Thanks!
post #720 of 1871 Old 02-12-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
... - Due to a ceiling fan will have to mount off-axis no further than 8'-10' back, so H+V keystone are important. ...
You do understand that digital keystone degrades image quality, right? It's lens shift that allows you to mount off axis without degrading image quality. If you aren't picky about image quality that might not matter to you. But if you want the best image from whatever projector you buy, you should either look for one with H+V lens shift or consider a different mounting strategy that would allow you to have a projector without lens shift squared up with the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page