The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes

post #811 of 1870 Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Tempo View Post
My 2040 arrived via Amazon. (I wish I would have seen that Best Buy deal!) Still, it was marked down to $699. I had a $100 gift card unused since Christmas. That got me down to $599. Then I signed up for the Amazon Visa card and that got me an $80 credit. So, not too bad for $519. But then they hit me with tax, grrrrr. I have never owned a projector or a 3D TV. What glasses do I need to buy to use with my Epson 2040? I'd love to get a deal.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...sses+panasonic

Those are the ones I use, but generally any RF ones should work. Just choose them because they were popular, rechargeable, and seemed sturdy. Haven't had any complaints from my SO or invited guests yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Are glasses all the same or do some glasses show a better image? How about screen material, does screen material matter too?
post #813 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Are glasses all the same or do some glasses show a better image? How about screen material, does screen material matter too?
In short YES and YES.

There's really no simpler answer. But it doesn't help you very much

Your room/ set up/ screen size / throw distance and viewing angle will also impact regular and 3d viewing. Each set up will not yield the same results with the same glasses and screen.

Now having said that, there are better glasses than others and price is not the best indicator of such quality.

I have 2 pairs very similar to those that Willshire posted and I'm quite happy with them. They are no name glasses and work quite well, there are dedicated thread for the best 3d glasses here on AVS and other forums as well and I strongly suggest you go trough them first. On my part I bought the cheap ones where I bought my PJ so I did tried them on first. Either find local, or a good return policy. I would also suggest that you try One pair before ordering 6 of the same model solely based on comments.
EDIT: all full hd 3d certfied will work with the epson.

Screens well that a very different mather and it might even be more complicated than the glasses especially if you want to keep watching 3d. start by reading (or searching) this whole thread if you have not yet. you will probably find answers to your questions. then it all depends AGAIN on YOUR set up. living room or bat cave etc etc.

Audio and Video are really subjective and the result vary immensely from one setup/location/individual to another.

It's really hard to give better advice based on the few details you gave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Thank-you, very informative. I'll check out the threads you suggested.

Additional info:
Room for 3D, Blacked out, walls, ceiling, no light.
136 inch diy screen with Milliskin Matte (White) over Milliskin Matte (Black)
Projector aprox 12 feet from screen.
Seating aprox 13 feet from screen.
post #815 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Thank-you, very informative. I'll check out the threads you suggested.

Additional info:
Room for 3D, Blacked out, walls, ceiling, no light.
136 inch diy screen with Milliskin Matte (White) over Milliskin Matte (Black)
Projector aprox 12 feet from screen.
Seating aprox 13 feet from screen.
Your screen size / throw and seating is basically the same ad mine.

I was shooting on bare drywall up until last week when I took it down to start mudding and sanding. So I had a slight amount of reflected light from the side walls witch you won't. Your set up should yield excellent results for both 2d and 3d given the PJ light output. The weak link for 3D "MIGHT" be the screen as it's white over black milliskin. You get both a negative gain screen and light bleed through the screen that doesn't come back to you. Let us know how it fares.

I was originally going to do white over silver but will now go to either screen solution or painted on screen solution. I have Carl's sample pack on order and I'm leaning more and more towards the painted Blackflame X1I.
post #816 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
In short YES and YES.

There's really no simpler answer. But it doesn't help you very much

Your room/ set up/ screen size / throw distance and viewing angle will also impact regular and 3d viewing. Each set up will not yield the same results with the same glasses and screen.

Now having said that, there are better glasses than others and price is not the best indicator of such quality.

I have 2 pairs very similar to those that Willshire posted and I'm quite happy with them. They are no name glasses and work quite well, there are dedicated thread for the best 3d glasses here on AVS and other forums as well and I strongly suggest you go trough them first. On my part I bought the cheap ones where I bought my PJ so I did tried them on first. Either find local, or a good return policy. I would also suggest that you try One pair before ordering 6 of the same model solely based on comments.
EDIT: all full hd 3d certfied will work with the epson.
Great info. Thanks
post #817 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While on the subject of 3d. The 2040 can convert regular HDTV and DVDs to 3D as well as 3D specific DVD's?
If this is correct, how well does this work, and is something you guys use often, or mostly used with 3D specific dvd's.
Trying to decide if it's something I would use, is it as good as a theater?
post #818 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2012 View Post
While on the subject of 3d. The 2040 can convert regular HDTV and DVDs to 3D as well as 3D specific DVD's?
If this is correct, how well does this work, and is something you guys use often, or mostly used with 3D specific dvd's.
Trying to decide if it's something I would use, is it as good as a theater?
Well as a matter of fact it does work and it's not that bad at all. I've used it on a couple of occasion for fun. It's not as detailed as a movie that's been shot in 3d or even a good 3d conversion (Titanic, Wiazrd of Oz) but its not as bad as some cheap 3d post conversion that I've seen.

The better the source material the better the outcome.

I believe that @Willshire uses this feature a lot he might be better suited to comment on it.

I'll use it for Deadpool for sure as it seems it will not be available...
post #819 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
What glasses do I need to buy to use with my Epson 2040? I'd love to get a deal.
These work just fine: http://www.amazon.com/Pegear-G15-BT-...dp/B019DXWAOI/
post #820 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The 3D conversion is pretty neat, but it's definitely not as good as a movie shot in 3D. It'll give you more depth, but you won't get any of the in your face pop-out type stuff. I like to play 3D games with it, gives a bit of immersion. Overall, a feature I didn't need by any means, but have turned on a few times just because it's cool. Really though, 3D games is where it shines for me, rarely use it for movies, but playing the new Tomb Raider in 3D is amazing, even if I'm crap with a 360 controller. Hard to go back to my tiny 24" monitors even if I'm better with the mouse and keyboard.
post #821 of 1870 Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 PM

aasoror - Does the 2040 support Bluetooth? I thought I needed RF glasses, not IR or Bluetooth? Maybe the 2045 supports Bluetooth? I get more confused all the time...
post #822 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
aasoror - Does the 2040 support Bluetooth? I thought I needed RF glasses, not IR or Bluetooth? Maybe the 2045 supports Bluetooth? I get more confused all the time...
The epson does support BT, there's even support for BT audio in certain parts of the world. I cannot confirm nor deny that these glasses work, but since Aasoror suggest them I would say he used them.

As stated before I would try ONE before ordering more. YOU might NOT like them !
post #823 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just updating:

Since we finished the floor install yesterday (except trim) I've just ordered the ST 106" screen. Looking forward to setting it up this weekend!
post #824 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bluetooth is RF

Yes they work on 2040, yes I have them and they are fine for the price (can't really get cheaper in Canada). It clones the stupid "non-foldable" design by Samsung (which you can get for $20 directly from Samsung, and it has the flexible temple support unlike the cheap ones).
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-.../SSG-5150GB/ZA

One thing to note though, when I posted the link yesterday the 4 pair pack was fulfilled by Amazon, apparently that stock is now gone, the single packs are still fulfilled by Amazon (as of right now), needless to say its much easier to return (case you don't like it) when its fulfilled by Amazon (vs. 3rd party).

Last edited by aasoror; 03-01-2016 at 03:13 PM.
post #825 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does IR work? Don't know what that is though? ☺

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
post #826 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Does IR work? Don't know what that is though? ☺

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
Nope, IR 3D glasses wont work.
post #827 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
Bluetooth is RF

Yes they work on 2040, yes I have them and they are fine for the price (can't really get cheaper in Canada). It clones the stupid "non-foldable" design by Samsung (which you can get for $20 directly from Samsung, and it has the flexible temple support unlike the cheap ones).
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-.../SSG-5150GB/ZA

One thing to note though, when I posted the link yesterday the 4 pair pack was fulfilled by Amazon, apparently that stock is now gone, the single packs are still fulfilled by Amazon (as of right now), needless to say its much easier to return (case you don't like it) when its fulfilled by Amazon (vs. 3rd party).
Everything seems to be back from amazon.

That being said I dont like that Open design and I wear glasses, so my advice to buy one to try before ordering more holds true.

still 20 pairs for 249 usd !!! thumbs up.
post #828 of 1870 Old 03-01-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
What color for ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post
Here is my room. A/C needs to be painted. I bought satin black spray paint! Ceiling is white. I will paint it grey color. ND2 filter shipped from China
As you can see my walls are Behr Grenadine Red. In real life it looks bit darker than on the picture. I already bought a dark grey for ceiling but now my friends are recommending me a dark blue or navy blue color. Which do you think match better. I have a
burgundy color carpet in all the room.

I dont know but Im spending more money in paint, nd filters, new high contrast grey screen and wood in its about $125 dollars. With such amount I can return the epson and get the benq 2050. All I want is better blacks/contrast.

Im spending money in stuff that aim not sure if it will really helps with better blacks/contrast than replacing the pj.

Also Im not able to set the pj percfect on screen. Even if I adjust the keystones....
post #829 of 1870 Old 03-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up

Hi everyone,

Now I've got a good projector, Epson has finaly exchanged my projector for a good one.
I'm really happy with this one, perfect focus, very good convergence, very good color uniformity and brightness uniformity. Really much better than my first one. And it's a NEW one not a refurb.

PS: I've never had a DLP projector, but I've bought an LG PH300 Minibeam to watch movies in my bedroom, and I'm happy with it overall. I've found out that I'm very sensitive to RBE and this projector uses a LED system similar to a 4x color wheel, not just me but almost all members of my family saw the rainbow effect on some scenes. DLP (in this particular model that's 720p native) seems more soft (less detailed) compared to 3LCD and the colors (again in this particular model) seem to have lower saturation. DLP seems better handling motion, that's true. But the rainbows are the worst for me, they are very distracting on some scenes. 3LCD is my favourite light engine technology in this price range.
I've never seen an LCoS projector (SXRD/D-ILA or other), but I think they are great.

BR,
Danny92
The_Forth_Man likes this.
post #830 of 1870 Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post
As you can see my walls are Behr Grenadine Red. In real life it looks bit darker than on the picture. I already bought a dark grey for ceiling but now my friends are recommending me a dark blue or navy blue color. Which do you think match better. I have a
burgundy color carpet in all the room.

I dont know but Im spending more money in paint, nd filters, new high contrast grey screen and wood in its about $125 dollars. With such amount I can return the epson and get the benq 2050. All I want is better blacks/contrast.

Im spending money in stuff that aim not sure if it will really helps with better blacks/contrast than replacing the pj.

Also Im not able to set the pj percfect on screen. Even if I adjust the keystones....
I would go Grey but thats based on personal color scheme preferences

I havent seen the New Benq and it's black are probably better But any PJ can be robbed of contrast even a JVC so painting the ceiling is always a good call when it can be done.

those 125$ will help either the EPSON or BenQ look nicer that they actually can.

To me the difference would be negligible in regard to the blacks given the price difference IF your afraid you or a relative will see RBE. That placement issue would weight heavily on the scale for me tho! Comparing both is always the wisest choice when it can be done.

I myself will eventually compare just for the sake of it when my HT is done.

We can advise all we want but the bottom line is What do YOU prefer in YOUR room.
post #831 of 1870 Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It is normal that the fan do not work after shutting down the projector? i run it in eco mode. I have also a panasonic pt ax2000e and the fan runs for 1 minute after shutting down the pana...
post #832 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuwarrior View Post
It is normal that the fan do not work after shutting down the projector? i run it in eco mode. I have also a panasonic pt ax2000e and the fan runs for 1 minute after shutting down the pana...
No fan after shutdown on the Epson.
post #833 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
No fan after shutdown on the Epson.

Thnx for the answer!
post #834 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well, just took advantage of the Amazon sale (and a tax refund) to pull the trigger. Should arrive soon.
Biggest concern is the black levels, but I haven't mounted a screen yet, so I can experiment with screen materials if need be.
post #835 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so my advice to buy one to try before ordering more holds true.
Well its amazon, going through the return is the same whether the order was for a single pair or a dozen of them (as long as its a single pack)

On another note, any link for the lens filter of choice to use with the 2040 ?

Last edited by aasoror; 03-04-2016 at 09:48 AM.
post #836 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
Well its amazon, going through the return is the same whether the order was for a single pair or a dozen of them (as long as its a single pack)

On another note, any link for the lens filter of choice to use with the 2040 ?

Your right, since it's fulfilled by amazon. Let me put another way

My advice holds true IF you have a doubt wether you'll be able to return them or not.

I have seen places refuse to take back glasses because it was considered as a personal product like underwear Yeah I know it seems far fetched but they are legally entitled to do so if the package as been open. In Canada at least I can't speak for other countries.

As for the link I'd take it too.
post #837 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have seen places refuse to take back glasses because it was considered as a personal product like underwear Yeah I know it seems far fetched but they are legally entitled to do so if the package as been open. In Canada at least I can't speak for other countries.
Correct, BB (Canada) will refuse to take 3D glasses back once they are opened, I didn't have that issue with Amazon though (not sure because of their relaxed policy or because these Chinese glasses doesn't ship in sealed boxes any way).
post #838 of 1870 Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Well, just took advantage of the Amazon sale (and a tax refund) to pull the trigger. Should arrive soon.
Biggest concern is the black levels, but I haven't mounted a screen yet, so I can experiment with screen materials if need be.
Sign up for their Visa card and get an immediate $80 credit to use toward your projector.
post #839 of 1870 Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Grey Screen really works!!

Im happy now with the Epson 2040.
I bought Carls High Contrast Grey Screen and the blacks/contrast improved a lot. And really a LOT!!....

I also painted the ceiling dark grey. I havent tested yet the pj with the new ceiling color with rhe grey screen.

I just put the grey screen in front of my white screen for test.
Yesterday I made a new frame for the grey screen. And it was a pain because this screen is like a vinyl that stretches!..

Now I have a problem and I have no idea how to fix it.
Here are the pics of the improved blacks and the problem with my screen. Check the "AW" letters on the picture from call of duty. Half of the box is under white screen; the other under grey screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1294753   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	1294897  

Last edited by javygonx; 03-05-2016 at 07:44 AM.
post #840 of 1870 Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am liking my 2045 projector (using about a month) but get this odd on-screen message displayed every couple of hours:

This Operation cannot be performed. Please set the automatic H-keystone to ON.

Obviously, I have intentionally turned the keystone adjustments to OFF as I don't want to expend the resolution, but I don't want to be reminded about this every time I use the projector.

Anyone familiar with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page