The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes

post #91 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, it is my first post here, if someone could help me, i realy appreciate.

My doubt was to buy, initially, between the Epson 2030 (or now 2040) and the Benq HT1075. Both on the range $600-750.

I read bunch o reviews, specialy about dark levels, contrast, I cant decide myself

However, today I found a Epson 3020 for $1.010 (open box). How do you think the 3020 (a 3 years projector) is compared to the new 2040, and the HT1075 (black, contrast, sharpness..)? $300 more is reasonable to pay more for that?

Thank you,
Marcelo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluche View Post
How do you think the 3020 (a 3 years projector) is compared to the new 2040, and the HT1075 (black, contrast, sharpness..)? $300 more is reasonable to pay more for that?

Thank you,
Marcelo
Marcelo, I don't know. So, I'll let other more knowledgeable people answer that question. But, I think that you need to know information like:

---> What will it be used for (movies, sports, outside, etc).
--> What is your intended room like (e.g. light controlled, or not).
--> What is the distance between the projector and the screen. Can it be adjusted?
--> What size of screen will you use?
--> Etc, etc.

Good luck.

Best Regards,
Stan
post #93 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Hi, it is my first post here, if someone could help me, i realy appreciate.

My doubt was to buy, initially, between the Epson 2030 (or now 2040) and the Benq HT1075. Both on the range $600-750.

I read bunch o reviews, specialy about dark levels, contrast, I cant decide myself

However, today I found a Epson 3020 for $1.010 (open box). How do you think the 3020 (a 3 years projector) is compared to the new 2040, and the HT1075 (black, contrast, sharpness..)? $300 more is reasonable to pay more for that?

Thank you,
Marcelo
In addition to above questions, are you sensitive to DLP projector's rainbow effect? Features like FI, and 3D are important to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlystanley View Post
OK, so I'm in. The review convinced me to jump , as soon as I get remodeling of my basement complete. I moved to a new house, and because of a big soffit, I only have 10' 8" of distance from the soffit to the wall. I have a 106" screen.

So, subtracting: distance of the screen off the wall, size of the projector, etc--I have about 9' 6" throw space. Which limits me to the Epson 2040 or the BENQ 1075--correct?

Seeing that my current projectors is a Sharp 32x (e.g. 2,200:1 contrast), this projector will be like night and day.

Best Regards,
Stan
BenQ 1075 and Epson 2040 are the best projectors in this price range and fit just right in the space you have.
But if you're not in a hurry to buy it, You should wait until the end of October because there will be several new projectors coming out. The truth is that I'm really worried about the 3D crosstalk in the Epson because I never had an 3LCD projector before, but on the other hand I have a 140 inch screen and I think that the Epson could help to boost the 3D brightness, and the lamp price is very good. So I'm a little bit undecided about what to do.
Manlystanley likes this.
post #95 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
BenQ 1075 and Epson 2040 are the best projectors in this price range and fit just right in the space you have.
But if you're not in a hurry to buy it, You should wait until the end of October because there will be several new projectors coming out. The truth is that I'm really worried about the 3D crosstalk in the Epson because I never had an 3LCD projector before, but on the other hand I have a 140 inch screen and I think that the Epson could help to boost the 3D brightness, and the lamp price is very good. So I'm a little bit undecided about what to do.

Cartmen, Great advice, Thanks! I can mount my sharp 32X below the soffit and use it that way (when I get the screen up). Then for a month or so, I will just need to avoid banging my head on the low projector.

Best Regards,
Stan
post #96 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Marcelo, I don't know. So, I'll let other more knowledgeable people answer that question. But, I think that you need to know information like:

---> What will it be used for (movies, sports, outside, etc).
--> What is your intended room like (e.g. light controlled, or not).
--> What is the distance between the projector and the screen. Can it be adjusted?
--> What size of screen will you use?
--> Etc, etc.
Stan
- My major use it will be movies/series. Eventualy, games.
- Light control is good, not perfect. And I intent to use with ambient light sometimes.
- Projector support on ceiling was not yet installed, but I have up to 14-15 feet to install. I accept sugestions.
- I have not sure.. the wall appears allows up to 120"
- rainbow effect is not a issue, and FI is not important to me.
post #97 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
- My major use it will be movies/series. Eventualy, games
For gaming, the W1070 is a better choice than the HT1075 due to its lower input lag. 2040 is even better in this regard.
post #98 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
But if you're not in a hurry to buy it, You should wait until the end of October because there will be several new projectors coming out.

Cartmen,
I think this is what you were referring to?? http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...s&entry_id=698

Anyways, I love problems like this.... Lots of good choices...

Best Regards,
Stan
post #99 of 1872 Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Cartmen,
I think this is what you were referring to?? http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...s&entry_id=698

Anyways, I love problems like this.... Lots of good choices...

Best Regards,
Stan
Exactly those models, but here in Europe they will be W1110, W2000 and W3000.
Another great thing is this part: "We are anxious to see how these new models stack up against the surprisingly robust Epson 2040, which outperforms the BenQ HT1075 and HT1070 in several important respects including brightness, image clarity, detail definition, and image depth/three-dimensionality."

@Ftoast this may interest you. The Epson is brighter and has better image depth/three-dimensionality. One of this in your black screen would have a brighter and vibrant image and would solve the problem of lack of deep blacks.
steve1106 likes this.
post #100 of 1872 Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Weird since their own measurements show the Benq to be equal or ever so slightly brighter in all modes except dynamic.
W1070/1075 = 1700/1800 cinema, and 2000/2100 dynamic
2040 = 1500 cinema, 1700 BrightCinema, 2200 dynamic

DLP also has the advantages of native on/off as well as ANSI contrast and sharpness which naturally lead to a more 3D-like depth to images particularly when the image is accurate (and the Benq is well-known for impressive accuracy at this price).

ProjectorCentral-"The W1070 has excellent native
sharpness, even after the projector's sharpness control
has been turned down (it defaults to a setting that is
slightly too high). Detail in HD material is displayed with
razor-sharp, pixel-perfect precision. And the W1070 does
this without a smart sharpening system or other detail
enhancement features."

But, if their comments like your quote above manage to light a fire under Benq..all the better.
Hopefully both companies keep improving from eachother (and the Vivitek 1186)...unlike the lazy Benq new models that are coming out with nothing to add.

The 2040 and hw40 just proved you CAN have CFI and 2D-3D AND fast input (though not when in use), so I don't see why this is still a problem for Benq and Vivitek...especially with the prices the others demand for it mostly.

As for my screen stuff; I like the challenge of making it work with less than 400lumens..means a lamp-based PJ that calibrates eco-mode down to 700lumens should be able to get the same or better all the way through its lamp-aging. Or a 1400lumen model can fill a 140" screen and have it look as bright as my 98".
I keep letting MississippiMan convince me to go higher gain.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #101 of 1872 Old 09-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Arrow Epson 2045 so far..

Now that I have been using this unit for a couple of days and playing with all the features, I must say this little guy is a great performer.

The built in Wi-Fi was easy to setup and add to my wireless network.

Then just for the heck of it I grabbed my Android phone and tapped screen mirroring and tapped the Epson showing on the network and VOLIA'.. My phone screen is projected to 120"

I watched some You Tube , stored HD videos and photos..all I can say is wow looks really great! Nice features for a mere $49

On day to day watching with AT&T U-verse the picture is just stunning.

The screen really looks just like a 120" LCD TV

It might sound like exaggeration, but it is that good.

I think Epson knocked really knocked it out of the park on this model.

I am sure that the purists here will likely look down, but I personally can see no reason to spend a penny more.
Manlystanley and steve1106 like this.
post #102 of 1872 Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How does the 2040/2045 look compared to your 2000/2030?
Manlystanley likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #103 of 1872 Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
How does the 2040/2045 look compared to your 2000/2030?
Good question. I'll put in my +1.

Best Regards
Stan
post #104 of 1872 Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Arrow better than the 2030

Quote:
Good question. I'll put in my +1.

Best Regards
Stan
It is very hard to quantify better when it comes to projectors, obviously it can be done in a lab with equipment but that yields only numbers.

Let's say I enjoy watching this one (2045) more than the last one (2030)

The image seems more lifelike, more clear, better defined and extremely even across all 120" diagonal.

I honestly say THIS MAKES MY SCREEN LOOK LIKE A 120" LCD TV watching HD U-Verse channels It truly is that clear!

They are is stock at Best Buy and have a 15 day no questions asked return policy so really have nothing to lose.
Finally, one more fun feature. I usually laugh at the internal speakers, BUT with the screen mirroring on with my Android phone I can wirelessly listen to my Pandora, since the screen mirror includes AUDIO, I never realized that, but is kinda cool.

Any other questions I'll do my best
Manlystanley likes this.
post #105 of 1872 Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It is using a new optical engine and lcd panels. That certainly can't hurt.
post #106 of 1872 Old 09-20-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-georgeo View Post

The image seems more lifelike, more clear, better defined and extremely even across all 120" diagonal.
This is so cool! I have lived with a substandard Sharp 32X projector for 6+ years. But, my new houses basement is torn apart while I re-finish it. That means my wife, and two girls, that are still at home, watch our weekly movie on a 24 inch LCD.

I will have the basement finished enough to use it (and put up my old 106 inch screen) in about 2 months. This will be perfect timing for making a choice between the 2045 and the new BENQ's. I can hardly wait!

Best Regards,
Stan
post #107 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Any other questions I'll do my best
Have you tried 3D? How is the image? And more important, does it have much crosstalk?
post #108 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Setup was very straightforward since it has very similar characteristics to unit I had before the 2030
I used the Epson room calculator, very useful btw

I would say that is where the similarities end. The blacks seem VERY BLACK to me and the contrast also looks excellent. FWIW the Blu-Ray was 2001 space odyssey

I have attached a pic, but keep in mind that it is pretty useless. Room is dark and reflections are minimal since everything is laid out on a diagonal. Android camera with 6MP

setting is ECO mode and fast iris with frame interpolation on
Also I could not hear a sound from the unit mounted 5 1/2 feet and behind the couch
even when going from very dark to very light scenes.

All in all, I think this is a very nice projector and it looks 40%-50% "better' to my eyes.
I am quite happy with this projector
Thanks for the pics. Does this model still suffer from the pincushion effect like the previous model? It appears on your first pic that the bottom of the image is slightly bent?
post #109 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone found it in Canada? The HC2040/2045 still not available anywhere (no bestbuy or eastporter...)...
post #110 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Thanks for the pics. Does this model still suffer from the pincushion effect like the previous model? It appears on your first pic that the bottom of the image is slightly bent?

As a very happy Epson HC2000 owner for the last soon to be two years, I guess the pincushion effect must be like rainbows in which only some people notice it.
post #111 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Not at all, I just set it on a shelf and did some VERY BASIC adjustments since everyone here wanted quick answers. Also I had the camera phone is a much less than optimum position for the photos.

FWIW watching Great Gatsby which has lots of black clothing in many scenes I was impressed at how black the blacks were.

When a black tuxedo was framed at edge of the screen the black was almost a black as my screen's black border, which is VERY BLACK. However, you could still see the details in the fabric.

The new "guts" of this 2045 are obviously very good. I did read somewhere in cyberspace that they used the internals of the 5020UB, which could make sense.

Why reinvent a great wheel when you can just scale up production of the existing great wheel and gain lower costs thru scale of production and spend almost nothing on engineering since that engine was already built and tested.
post #112 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FWIW watching Great Gatsby which has lots of black clothing in many scenes I was impressed at how black the blacks were.

When a black tuxedo was framed at edge of the screen the black was almost a black as my screen's black border, which is VERY BLACK. However, you could still see the details in the fabric.
Was this not the case with your 2000/2030?
Does your 2000/2030 have noticeably greyer looking blacks?

post #113 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM

Arrow Yes

Quote:
Was this not the case with your 2000/2030?
Does your 2000/2030 have noticeably greyer looking blacks?
I would say that the 2030 could only make very dark gray, this 2045 makes black.
Ftoast likes this.
post #114 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In that case there might be a bit of truth to the rumor you heard because guess which other projector was using the Epson UB panels for cheap...the 8345 which had noticeably better contrast than the 2000/2030 as well as very low input-lag while the preceding model had CFI (though neither had 3D of any kind).
Epson has always been able to dumbdown the contrast of that system to boost brightness, so that might be the situation here like it was for the 8345/8350.

Would be great to get some native contrast measurement on the 2040 to see how close it gets to the 8345.
Manlystanley likes this.

post #115 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
In that case there might be a bit of truth to the rumor you heard because guess which other projector was using the Epson UB panels for cheap...the 8345 which had noticeably better contrast than the 2000/2030 as well as very low input-lag while the preceding model had CFI (though neither had 3D of any kind).
Epson has always been able to dumbdown the contrast of that system to boost brightness, so that might be the situation here like it was for the 8345/8350.

Would be great to get some native contrast measurement on the 2040 to see how close it gets to the 8345.
That's pretty interesting. Where did you read that about the 8345?
post #116 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw85 View Post
That's pretty interesting. Where did you read that about the 8345?
The ProjectorReviews and (I think) the PJC reviews of the older 1080 powerlite and the next models following (which include the 8350/8345) mentioned that Epson was talking about these inexpensive models using the same panels.
They ended up being disappointed with the contrast after the hype but still rated it quite high among the less expensive LCDs.

There's more to it than just the panels, even if they were setup the same (which they weren't), but it at least gives the potential for a doubling of native contrast up near 600:1 from the previous 300:1 of the 2000/2030.

This would also account for the reviews mentioning the contrast and blacks being poorer than the inexpensive DLPs (which are easily above 1000:1 native CR) while at least one very satisfied user is noting a marked improvement over the previous model.

Skip the nice adjustable lens and tighter iris and eliminate the cinema-filter completely..you get a significantly cheaper projector that's even brighter and every bit as fast.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-21-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #117 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What screen do you recommend. Also i have my couch against the wall and from back wall to screen i have 12 ft. My back wall is about 12ft high and the front about 8ft. How high on the back wall does it need to shelf mount it so image is center to my eyes. When i sit on the couch
post #118 of 1872 Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Arrow my screen & Epson calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge007 View Post
What screen do you recommend. Also i have my couch against the wall and from back wall to screen i have 12 ft. My back wall is about 12ft high and the front about 8ft. How high on the back wall does it need to shelf mount it so image is center to my eyes. When i sit on the couch
I like this screen , so do most buyers based on reviews & stars

http://www.amazon.com/Homegear-120-H...rds=120+screen

http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/land...ce-calculator/
Use the above link to sort out your room
post #119 of 1872 Old 09-22-2015, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge007 View Post
Shelf-mounted in a 12ft room the 2040 can fit anything from roughly 103"-124" for 16:9 screen-size, and mounting it about 5ft-6inches above the floor will have the screen slightly higher than centered for your eyes (typically it's recommended to have 1/2-1/3 of the screen below your eye-height, so this is well within that range).

With a ~11ft eye-to-screen distance, a 110"-120" 16:9 screen would be a good size, but projecting onto the wall to look for yourself is the safer thing to do before buying/making a screen.
If you want a screen that won't wrinkle or curl over time (or sometimes right from the factory) a fixed-frame screen or painted wall will provide the best longevity for the price.
SilverTicket has both an excellent white screen and a grey screen option for viewing in some light (or a light-colored room) in both 110" and 120" fixed-frame for $200-300.
Elite is another solid and value-oriented brand though the SilverTicket tends to be a little cheaper and easier to setup while having less complaints about visible texture.

Alternatively, a flat/matte white or very light grey paint can be an excellent option for all of $10 and a simple border of black felt tape can be added at any time if you don't prefer the "zero edge" look.

post #120 of 1872 Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I would say that the 2030 could only make very dark gray, this 2045 makes black.
-What about dynamic Iris "sighting" ? On PJC they said that the Iris movement is very noticeable.

-And what about audible noise in Eco mode?

Thanks.
Ftoast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page