The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes

post #151 of 1870 Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
In this forum, it seems like you are either a DLP fan or a LCD or even LED in the entry levels. We love what we love and we hate what we hate.

Moving up to the next level it is Sony vs Epson fans.

I don't have a perfect room and I don't want to spend 100k or even 10K on a room, but I do want an affordable quality image that is the largest my home will allow, so...

When I was originally buying two years ago, most on this forum were BenQ fans, but the professional reviews listed the pros and cons for both. At the end of the day, the reviews (projector central and projector reviews) indicate that neither type projector in this price point have great black levels with the BenQ having the advantage and the Epson winning on cost of ownership via warranty and lamp cost. The reviews stated that the Epson was the projector most likely to be used as a TV. Exactly what I wanted, so I went Epson.

Now two years later the same argument. Isn't it great to have choices?

About a year and half ago, I really was sold on getting a BenQ W1070 based on reading this forum. I really thought the projector must be amazing based on the comments. I was planning on moving the Epson to a spare room and I couldn't wait to see the Ben in action and jumped at the chance to sample the W1070 at a co-workers house. I really sold the projector to the wife and told her how great the forum said it was. (I did the same thing jumping from 47 to 55 then to a 70 inch TV within a few years.) I had her sold on the way to the guy's home....but, three hours later we walked out, and she thanked me for saving nice things about the experience to the co-worker. In the car, we both had a what the heck moment. If the black levels were better, we didn't see it. If it was a sharper image, we didn't see it. If it handled motion better, we didn't see it. For us the glaring problem with the projector was the light leakage from the vent. In an untreated room with it on a table it was like a spotlight, which ended my Ben dream. I waited to a too good to be true price happened and picked up a second Epson HC2000. Of course, now it can be had on sale for $90 less.

Epson, BenQ or Vivitek in this price point all have strengths and weaknesses. Be it SDE or RBE or dust or light leakage or warranty or placement. What kills a projector for one person isn't an issue for another.

With the entry Epsons, I like the warranty and the $99 lamp. I have a ViewSonic DLP that I got for $300ish but the lamp runs over $200 to replace. To me, paying $200 or $300 or $500 for a lamp...a lamp is crazy. When the ViewSonic lamp goes so goes the projector.

Over the last two years, I have been tempted many times to get the Epson HC3500 and the HC5025, but the lamp replacement cost stops me. I can get a new 2040 for $799 and the lamps alone for the 3500/5025 run almost $300 unless you find a cheap aftermarket worth buying. To me it is like printer ink, and that is where the companies make the real money on entry level projectors. Make a lamp for say $25 and sell it for $300. Not too bad for the company but the consumer takes it in the shorts.

So I really don't think there is a right or wrong answer and that it depends on the room, the use and the individual.
I have owned a BenQ W1070 for about 2 years now. It is an amazing projector that we have thoroughly enjoyed: incredible picture out of the box, great 3D, great gaming, and it's really hard to beat for the price. I would recommend it to anyone!
..... But I will vouch for you on this: a buddy of mine has the Epson 2030 model and people can talk about deeper blacks, better contrast ratio, motion handling, this and that, DLPs, blah blah blah.........I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two, they both look great to me.

-- My 2 cents.
Manlystanley and jhughy2010 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For your reading enjoyment, user reviews of the Epson 2045: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-ho...ustomerreviews

So far, very strong and positive.

Best Regards,
Stan

Listening/Movie Room: Denon AVR3310CI, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Projector: Currently--Sharp XR-32X.

Last edited by Manlystanley; 10-01-2015 at 09:10 AM.
post #153 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminheimer View Post
..... But I will vouch for you on this: a buddy of mine has the Epson 2030 model and people can talk about deeper blacks, better contrast ratio, motion handling, this and that, DLPs, blah blah blah.........I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two, they both look great to me.

Agreed. There is a difference between:
--> People who use the system for enjoyment.
--> Serious Video-philes, and
--> Expert reviewers.

Many times, simple guys, like me, get wrapped up in getting the best system. When a cheaper alternative is just as good. When I upgrade from my Sharp 32X, anything will be impressive....

I had this friend who would only buy expensive wine to drink.--but then he drank it like a fish. After the first bottle, he should have switched to Mogen David (e.g. Mad-Dog 20/20).

Best Regards,
Stan

Listening/Movie Room: Denon AVR3310CI, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Projector: Currently--Sharp XR-32X.

Last edited by Manlystanley; 10-01-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Even if you are the kind of person who doesn't see a difference, the Benq and Vivitek at $650-700 costs $100-150 less than the 2040 at $799 while also offering more placement flexibility which makes it easier to mount.

And between the deeper blacks/contrast, better pixel-fill, better motion resolution, crisper alignment, and cleaner 3D, someone who doesn't tend to notice improvements in one area may still notice them in another.
Besides the contrast most of these differences as very small, but there are an awful lot of them altogether.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #155 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just ordered an Epson 2040 after reading all about w1070. One thing for sure is BenQ w1070 has a huge fan club here and I am sure it is not without reasons.

I have reasonably light controlled basement and I have much freedom in its placement. I plan to use this mainly for movies (2D & 3D). Sometimes for games.

But I had to weigh the 2 yr warranty and $99 replacement bulb cost made me choose Epson 2040. Also, as a novice, I was impressed with all the images posted in ProjectorReviews in spite of the measured 'low' black levels. Colors and skin tones looked great and darker scenes were good. I have owned a plasma for 7 years now and I have bought couple of LCDs in between and returned them because they couldn't manage to compare with my Panny/Samsung plasma.

Experts in this forum should say what do they think about the images posted in ProjectorReviews.com

I hope to get it in next couple of weeks and see if it works for me. If it looks good to my eye then I will just get over all the negatives I've read about the black levels and the contrast.
Jiminheimer likes this.

BenQ HT1075 | Samsung PN50B650 50-Inch 1080p Plasma
Denon S530BT | Yamaha Aventage A670BL
KEF Q100's | JBL Studio 5 series | Paradigm Cinema
post #156 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by drramki View Post
But I had to weigh the 2 yr warranty and $99 replacement bulb cost made me choose Epson 2040. Also, as a novice, I was impressed with all the images posted in ProjectorReviews in spite of the measured 'low' black levels. Colors and skin tones looked great and darker scenes were good. I have owned a plasma for 7 years now and I have bought couple of LCDs in between and returned them because they couldn't manage to compare with my Panny/Samsung plasma.

Experts in this forum should say what do they think about the images posted in ProjectorReviews.com

I hope to get it in next couple of weeks and see if it works for me. If it looks good to my eye then I will just get over all the negatives I've read about the black levels and the contrast.
Based on your statement, I am afraid you might not like the entry level projectors (below $1000)and might be better off with a Sony HW40 or Epson HC5030 ($2000 up). While I do not notice a difference between the BenQ and the Epson, I do notice the black levels on entry level projectors. The photos enhance the blacks (down plays the "bright") and do not tell the truth at least according to my eyes, but for me size wins plus the projector is made for my basement and since...

I don't have a perfect room and I don't have a completely light controlled room, so my contrast varies during the day. As a horror movie family, most of the scenes take place at night. The trade off for not having deep blacks is shadow detail or dark detail. I can see what is happening better in scenes. Photo example from projector reviews:

The downside is that our 70 inch Sharp always looks too dark to me now...not to mention tiny. I'll be the first to say some content looks like crap, but after watching it on a TV be it a 32, 40, 47, 55 or 70, it still looks like crap just a very black image.

My 19 year old daughter watched a dark (rainy/foggy/twilight) scene (John Snow and the people of the North fighting the...I guess dead ice people) from Game of Thrones with me and said the 169 inch image looked awful so she left. After watching the scene on her TV, she came back down and watched the rest on the big screen. She admitted the scene looked equally bad on the TV, but a "different" bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3500vs2030b.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	971753  

Last edited by steve1106; 10-01-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: wrong video.
post #157 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let's try again. This shows the weakness of an entry level projector vs a higher end projector at the 4:50 mark.

post #158 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 06:02 PM

thanks for the utube link.

Pics from your previous post is interesting. The top one which is supposed offer better black level or contrast ratio (& twice expensive as the bottom one) lacks some detail that you see in the bottom picture. Looking at the cars underneath the flyovers and I can see the difference in detail. And the blue on the top picture is oversaturated. May be this is because of a pre-defined mode or something. But both pics look bad in some way. I might choose the bottom picture if I were to choose based on this image.

Also, it has been really tough for me to justify a $1600 price point to jump to next level. I might just do it when I am not really really satisfied with the entry level projectors. I am hoping that the huge screen size will help me overlook some negatives. That's what am really hoping for!

Quote:
Let's try again. This shows the weakness of an entry level projector vs a higher end projector at the 4:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1lvVUW83U

post #159 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1lvVUW83U
While I wait for the 2040 which they said will be available by the 3rd week of Oct, I might as well keep looking for a deal on 5030 or Sony. But I've never seen a deal for any brand's best-selling product. Usually, I've seen deals on the models I don't want to buy. Let's see what happens this time.

post #160 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
How is the fan noise?
post #161 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post
How is the fan noise?
While I don't have the 2040/2045 (yet), I have two of the 2000s which is rated the same 29dB - 37dB. One of ours is mounted directly over our seating position on eco (29dB) and we never pay attention (hear) to the fan noise during a movie/TV, but I do notice it at start up (more dB until the lamp comes on and fan speed drops) and during the times we mute the AVR for a phone call.

On the non-eco setting, the fan is much more noticeable but we are lucky and never need to run it out of eco. I do run it for on the highest light setting for about 15 minutes every three or five hundred lamp hours just to check the impact of the hours on the lamp (dimming) and I read it is necessary on some projectors to prevent lamp flickering. (I don't know if it is necessary with this "new" lamp Epson came up with for the 2000-2045.)

I think I could get use to it a 37dB if I had to, but I am not 100% sure. I would probably be okay moving the seating back a couple of feet so we are not directly under the projector.
post #162 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wondering if anyone has come from a Mitsubishi HC3800 to this projector.
I have been running my HC3800 since 2009 with absolutely no complaints, but I'm at a crossroad. I have 3,800 hours on the lamp and I feel it has dimmed significantly. I have put Brilliant Color back on and now run the bulb in "standard" or high mode, but I think putting a new lamp in would really help. I actually have a new lamp already that was part of a rebate when I bought it. My issue is choosing to put the new lamp in or upgrade and sell the Mits for a higher amount given it has a new bulb.

Having not really researched or looked in to pj's now for the last few years, are what is considered "entry level" blacks now great back in 2009? Also, has LCD improved much? I have a friend that bought an LCD around the time I bought the HC3800 and have always felt mine looked way sharper and less digital.

Just last week I purchased the HT1070 and have since returned it. The short lens throw meant it needed to be mounted about five feet in front of where I sit, so I felt I was seeing it full time peripherally. It also had a dull droning noise that drove me nuts from my normal seat. The picture itself was definitely improved over my HC3800, but not so sure that delta couldn't be made up by putting my new bulb in.

I am interested in the Epson because placement would work out better for me, it has a ton of features I dig, and there are a ton of fans here raving about it. I'm just worried about the LCD digital look - maybe this is the ANSI contrast that DLP seems to excel at, but has this gap been covered in the past five years for LCD?

I guess I could just buy it at Best Buy and return if it doesn't work out - just wanted to get others opinions and see if anyone has gone from DLP over to this or new Epson LCD's. Seems like once you choose a side you stick with that tech.
post #163 of 1870 Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Wondering if anyone has come from a Mitsubishi HC3800 to this projector.
I have been running my HC3800 since 2009 with absolutely no complaints, but I'm at a crossroad. I have 3,800 hours on the lamp and I feel it has dimmed significantly. I have put Brilliant Color back on and now run the bulb in "standard" or high mode, but I think putting a new lamp in would really help. I actually have a new lamp already that was part of a rebate when I bought it. My issue is choosing to put the new lamp in or upgrade and sell the Mits for a higher amount given it has a new bulb.

Having not really researched or looked in to pj's now for the last few years, are what is considered "entry level" blacks now great back in 2009? Also, has LCD improved much? I have a friend that bought an LCD around the time I bought the HC3800 and have always felt mine looked way sharper and less digital.

Just last week I purchased the HT1070 and have since returned it. The short lens throw meant it needed to be mounted about five feet in front of where I sit, so I felt I was seeing it full time peripherally. It also had a dull droning noise that drove me nuts from my normal seat. The picture itself was definitely improved over my HC3800, but not so sure that delta couldn't be made up by putting my new bulb in.

I am interested in the Epson because placement would work out better for me, it has a ton of features I dig, and there are a ton of fans here raving about it. I'm just worried about the LCD digital look - maybe this is the ANSI contrast that DLP seems to excel at, but has this gap been covered in the past five years for LCD?

I guess I could just buy it at Best Buy and return if it doesn't work out - just wanted to get others opinions and see if anyone has gone from DLP over to this or new Epson LCD's. Seems like once you choose a side you stick with that tech.
The Epson's farthest back placement is 1.45:1 while the Benq is 1.5:1...the Epson will be both closer to the screen and lower in the room.

The $700 Vivitek 1186 can be mounted higher like the Benq AND farther back in the room like your Mitsubishi while giving great color-brightness, natural sharpness and high contrast.

The higher end LCDs have been steadily improving, but these inexpensive models are still a bit softer (without false sharpening) and much lower contrast.

However, if you're a huge fan of CreativeFrameInterpolation and creative2D-3D, this 2040 the Vivitek 1188 (not widely available) and the LG pf1500 (has CFI but no 3D) are the cheapest ways to get it.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #164 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The Epson's farthest back placement is 1.45:1 while the Benq is 1.5:1...the Epson will be both closer to the screen and lower in the room.

The $700 Vivitek 1186 can be mounted higher like the Benq AND farther back in the room like your Mitsubishi while giving great color-brightness, natural sharpness and high contrast.

The higher end LCDs have been steadily improving, but these inexpensive models are still a bit softer (without false sharpening) and much lower contrast.

However, if you're a huge fan of CreativeFrameInterpolation and creative2D-3D, this 2040 the Vivitek 1188 (not widely available) and the LG pf1500 (has CFI but no 3D) are the cheapest ways to get it.
Good to know about LCD. I have been seeing Epson getting a ton of positive reviews over the years and people love them. I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion, but LCD has just never impressed me. My best friend has owned several over the year as his placement requires it, and they always have a softer, digital, flat look to me - and he's always had the latest and greatest popular LCD model that hangs around this price range - Panasonic or Epson.
I think my new plan is to upgrade my screen from 100" to 120" on my current Mits and put the new bulb in. Then maybe a year from now I'll upgrade to probably a DLP and placement should not be as much of an issue with needing it a bit further back.
I think I'm just a DLP guy, but I love the features of this pj and see the advantages of LCD. I'll give this Vivitek a look.
Thanks again
post #165 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Is it advantageous to have the projector behind the seating position? I like that the Vivitek can be mounted higher up on the ceiling? Are there any draw backs to the Vivitek?

Maybe you can give a recommendation:

I have a ceiling mounted fan so will need the projector to be either closer (short throw) or further back. I don't want to exceed 110" diagonally and plan to put a screen with 1.0 gain up eventually.

Also, lots of bass might cause lens to vibrate? I have two large subs at the main seating position.

I'll use the projector for light gaming so it cannot have lots of input lag.

There typically is lots of ambient light during the day but it can certainly be controlled (most of the viewing is at night anyway).
post #166 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ftoast,

Thanks for turning me on to the Vivitek. I checked out the thread and it looks like it is ideal for what I am looking for in my next upgrade. Plus, I can hold out for the 1188 since I would want the CFI. Very exciting thread over there comparing it directly against and being preferred over the HT1075. Looks like it would need some out of the box adjustments, but looks very, very promising. I hope the thread continues to grow with feedback.
post #167 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ftoast,

Thanks for turning me on to the Vivitek. I checked out the thread and it looks like it is ideal for what I am looking for in my next upgrade. Plus, I can hold out for the 1188 since I would want the CFI. Very exciting thread over there comparing it directly against and being preferred over the HT1075. Looks like it would need some out of the box adjustments, but looks very, very promising. I hope the thread continues to grow with feedback.
post #168 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What size screen can i get with 10.5 foot throw.
post #169 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know about LCD. I have been seeing Epson getting a ton of positive reviews over the years and people love them. I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion, but LCD has just never impressed me. My best friend has owned several over the year as his placement requires it, and they always have a softer, digital, flat look to me - and he's always had the latest and greatest popular LCD model that hangs around this price range - Panasonic or Epson.
I think my new plan is to upgrade my screen from 100" to 120" on my current Mits and put the new bulb in. Then maybe a year from now I'll upgrade to probably a DLP and placement should not be as much of an issue with needing it a bit further back.
I think I'm just a DLP guy, but I love the features of this pj and see the advantages of LCD. I'll give this Vivitek a look.
Thanks again
Epson has a great reputation for customer service and warranty, but LCD will always be at a natural disadvantage with motion, alignment and only the higher end stuff can beat DLP native contrast...so the price/performance stays with DLP until about $1500+ where the high-end LCD and LCoS leap upward in contrast to a place that DLP can't reach without a second inline dmd.
The new lamp is a great way to wait out even better options hitting ever lower prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Is it advantageous to have the projector behind the seating position? I like that the Vivitek can be mounted higher up on the ceiling? Are there any draw backs to the Vivitek?

Maybe you can give a recommendation:

I have a ceiling mounted fan so will need the projector to be either closer (short throw) or further back. I don't want to exceed 110" diagonally and plan to put a screen with 1.0 gain up eventually.

Also, lots of bass might cause lens to vibrate? I have two large subs at the main seating position.

I'll use the projector for light gaming so it cannot have lots of input lag.

There typically is lots of ambient light during the day but it can certainly be controlled (most of the viewing is at night anyway).
Mounting far back can sometimes be helpful for keeping a louder PJ far away from the viewers, but often it's just what many people think of when they think "movie theater"..mounting closer isn't bad.
How far back from the screen is your fan? The w1070/1075 can fill a 110" screen while its rear is about 10.5ft back (including some cord clearance)...so if the fan-blades are closer than 10.5ft from the screen/wall you'll either want to look at the w1080/1085-ShortThrow or something that can shoot beneath the fan and farther back (the Benq can fill 110" from 12ft back while the Vivitek can go quite a ways farther).
Quote:
Ftoast,

The 1188 is sadly too laggy for gaming, but otherwise really sounds nice for non-gamers...and the 1186 (which lacks CFI) is gamer-worthy for those who need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge007 View Post
What size screen can i get with 10.5 foot throw.
The Epson 2040 can fill 100"-119" at 10.5ft lens-to-screen.
jhughy2010 likes this.

post #170 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Epson has a great reputation for customer service and warranty, but LCD will always be at a natural disadvantage with motion, alignment and only the higher end stuff can beat DLP native contrast...so the price/performance stays with DLP until about $1500+ where the high-end LCD and LCoS leap upward in contrast to a place that DLP can't reach without a second inline dmd.
The new lamp is a great way to wait out even better options hitting ever lower prices.

Mounting far back can sometimes be helpful for keeping a louder PJ far away from the viewers, but often it's just what many people think of when they think "movie theater"..mounting closer isn't bad.
How far back from the screen is your fan? The w1070/1075 can fill a 110" screen while its rear is about 10.5ft back (including some cord clearance)...so if the fan-blades are closer than 10.5ft from the screen/wall you'll either want to look at the w1080/1085-ShortThrow or something that can shoot beneath the fan and farther back (the Benq can fill 110" from 12ft back while the Vivitek can go quite a ways farther).

The 1188 is sadly too laggy for gaming, but otherwise really sounds nice for non-gamers...and the 1186 (which lacks CFI) is gamer-worthy for those who need it.

The Epson 2040 can fill 100"-119" at 10.5ft lens-to-screen.
Is the 1188 okay for gaming if you disable the CFI? Is there a place to find the response time on my current Mits HC3800 for comparison. I have never had an issue with its response time, and while I'm not a competitive or serious game, I do game a lot.
Thanks again
post #171 of 1870 Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the 1188 okay for gaming if you disable the CFI? Is there a place to find the response time on my current Mits HC3800 for comparison. I have never had an issue with its response time, and while I'm not a competitive or serious game, I do game a lot.
Thanks again
The 1188 apparently made-out like the Optoma hd50/161 and a few others I'm sure where disabling CFI doesn't seem to help response...it's just permanently slow.

Reviews taking the time to mention input-lag are hit/miss it seems. On the positive side, the 3800 was a popular machine so there are more than a couple professional reviews for it.
I haven't read about how fast/slow it is, but I'd wager trying the Mitsubishi WITH the CFI on would give a good idea how slow the 1188 is and whether or not it'll bother you...if that's a possibility still.

Otherwise, the lag is serious enough to be noticeable for most, but it doesn't interfere with turn-based or other games that don't rely on speed, timing, or reflexes. There IS a decent chance for one of those three to happen occasionally for most gamers, even casual, so the 1188 is probably best skipped in case of occasional racing or platforming or sports games..a lot really.
Then again, if you can test the Mitsubishi with CFI gaming where timing or speed matters and get by just fine...maybe it's worth giving it a shot from a dealer with a good return policy?

The list of DLPs with CFI and gaming speed is sadly lacking.
That's one of the things I'm hoping this 2040 will help snuff-out. If IT can, anyone can, and there's no reason it has to be expensive.

post #172 of 1870 Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 PM

B&H showing this model pre-order for 699.99! Anyone (here) deal with them before? Are they legit?

http://w w w .bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1181493&gclid=CJH2v6iFqMgCFZI7gQodHDgC yw&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

Wow, same price here too: http://w w w .projectorpeople.com/Epson-PowerLite-Home-Cinema-2040/Projector/38479

Last edited by Jiminheimer; 10-03-2015 at 10:21 PM.
post #173 of 1870 Old 10-03-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

YES! Now THAT is a competitive price.
Both dealers are mentioned quite a lot in good ways.
Jiminheimer likes this.

post #174 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
While I don't have the 2040/2045 (yet), I have two of the 2000s which is rated the same 29dB - 37dB. One of ours is mounted directly over our seating position on eco (29dB) and we never pay attention (hear) to the fan noise during a movie/TV, but I do notice it at start up (more dB until the lamp comes on and fan speed drops) and during the times we mute the AVR for a phone call.

On the non-eco setting, the fan is much more noticeable but we are lucky and never need to run it out of eco. I do run it for on the highest light setting for about 15 minutes every three or five hundred lamp hours just to check the impact of the hours on the lamp (dimming) and I read it is necessary on some projectors to prevent lamp flickering. (I don't know if it is necessary with this "new" lamp Epson came up with for the 2000-2045.)

I think I could get use to it a 37dB if I had to, but I am not 100% sure. I would probably be okay moving the seating back a couple of feet so we are not directly under the projector.

HI, i'm worried about the offset, some claim the offset is 8% and other's claim 5%, can you tell me how much it is for the 2030? do you use an extension tube for the ceiling? at what distance dou you have the screeen from the ceiling? thnx !
post #175 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuwarrior View Post
HI, i'm worried about the offset, some claim the offset is 8% and other's claim 5%, can you tell me how much it is for the 2030? do you use an extension tube for the ceiling? at what distance dou you have the screeen from the ceiling? thnx !
I have a beam in the way so I just made it work. The beam limits my placement and image size, and if not for the beam I would had to use an extension.

My projector is 19 inches from the ceiling or the bottom is 9 inches below the top of the image/mounting point and the bottom of the projector is 7 feet from the floor. I hate to post the picture but it is my reality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001a.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	975273   Click image for larger version

Name:	006ac.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	975281  
post #176 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This shows how the projector is mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backwall 002a.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	975289  
post #177 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminheimer View Post
B&H showing this model pre-order for 699.99! Anyone (here) deal with them before? Are they legit?

http://w w w .bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1181493&gclid=CJH2v6iFqMgCFZI7gQodHDgC yw&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

Wow, same price here too: http://w w w .projectorpeople.com/Epson-PowerLite-Home-Cinema-2040/Projector/38479
Adorama has this for $700 as well.

Is it currently available on ProjectorPeople?

post #178 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramki View Post
Adorama has this for $700 as well.

Is it currently available on ProjectorPeople?

I called them the other day (glad I waited on purchasing LOL, saved 100 bucks) from what I gathered it's going to be a "few days". The most honest places seem to be giving an ETA of around Oct 20th.
post #179 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I'm worried about this as well. Because I'm "slightly" using my lens shift on my W1070 to get below my ceiling fan.....

@Ftoast : how to these projectors (W1070 & 2040) compare?
post #180 of 1870 Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
This shows how the projector is mounted.
Steve, looking at that photo, you have an amazing looking family. I would check into more of a dairy and protein based diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page