• 1 Post By NitroViper

post #1 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quick video of Epson 2030

Long story short.

I bought an Optoma HD141X and couldnt handle the DLP rainbow effect. So I read alot and searched alot and asked alot and I found what I thought was the best thing in my budget or around $600. The HD141x was 574.99 and the Epson 2030 from bestbuy was $699 with a $150 bestbuy giftcard free. I sold that so I basically got the projector for $550.

After buying the 2030 I got alot of negative feedback on this forum about contrast, input lag, brightness, mounting blah blah... Well I can tell you this projector is better than the HD141x and was compared to the BenQ 1070 in alot of aspects in reviews Ive read. Of course everyone praises 1070 around here... I see the rainbow effect very easy so DLP isnt an option for me anymore.

I mounted this projector on the ceiling within an hour with an adjustable mount. Didn't have one single problem getting it lined up.

EDIT: This is a new video with a velvet border. Just thought I would post it incase anyone is interested in the 2030. Blacks look good to me, dunno why everyone complains. Keep in mind its taken with a cellphone camera!

140 inch screen, click link and watch in highest resolution. 4K

Anyways:

140 inch screen, blackout cloth. No border as of yet.

Yes its with a cellphone so its not the best quality obviously. Make sure to click the gear and put it on 1080p

Video has it with the lights on and off. The screen is very impressive in real life and the video really doesnt do it justice. The blacks look great especially in batman arkham knight videogame.

Soooo lets here some negative comments lol

If anyone mentions input lag I am going to make a input lag video and prove that is nonsense. There is zero noticeable input lag.

Do not watch it below, click the youtube link so you can watch it in 1080p

steve1106 and bud16415 like this.

Last edited by NitroViper; 10-31-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Well, can you return it?

Pictures and videos do not tell the truth.

The brands V and B(X) offer much better contrast/sharpness/motion and to be honest, you aren't smart enough to know what you like. Let me tell you what you should like.

Don't let the 2 year warranty fool you. Epson will overnight you a refurbished unit which might be junk or let you send off your unit to be repaired.

Most people who know what they are looking at prefer brand X. If you don't get that brand, you are dumb.

All reviews pick Brand X and have nothing good to say about the 2030.

No one likes the auto iris feature so you are stuck with 300:1 native contrast vs the corrected contrast of 1170:1. Brand X while not much better has 4 times the native contrast.

Brand X lamp costs $249, but some members have found aftermarket lamps that seem to work for $70.

Epson is behind the other brands. Everyone has given up on LCD.

The SDE is horrible. Brand X doesn't have a screen door effect and many members sit six inches from the screen.

Very few people have had issues with Brand X getting dust inside lens. Ignore the few.

Very few people have had lamps fail early with Brand X. Ignore the few.

Very few people have had issues with Brand X failing after 12 months. Ignore the few.

Very few people see RBE. Ignore the few.

How did I do? Did I hit them all.
bud16415 likes this.

Last edited by steve1106; 10-23-2015 at 08:23 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
If you're happy with the picture and contrast, F what everybody else thinks.
steve1106, bud16415 and cbcdesign like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

haha

figured thats what would happen.

anyways, does the video suck? I could try to take a better one.
bud16415 likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
haha

figured thats what would happen.

anyways, does the video suck? I could try to take a better one.
Sorry, I told myself that I was going to walk away from the forum, but it looks like it is going to be baby steps. I did go over 24 hours thanks to a 103 degree fever as a parting shot from a cold.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I should open my teamspeak to the AVS forums so we can all tell each other how stupid we are for liking stuff lol.

Anyways, I dont have a bluray player so the video I did take was just 1080 broadcast which still looks like butt....
post #7 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 583

Nobody has called anyone stupid (that I have seen) for liking something, that's an over exaggerated point of view from people that feel slighted because they own the product that has been found to be the over-all less viable option.

What you guys are now doing is acting immature because you happen to like the underdog with the lower score card (to each his own).

It's foolish to blame real world measurements and an overwhelming general consensus on suggesting particular models, the same is done with just about every product on the consumer level.

You'll not make any statement here or garner any respect by acting in such a manner, I know first hand as I have often been in the middle of some very heated debates over the years at AVS.

If you want your opinion to be respected you have to earn it and I can assure you that this is not the way to do it.
- Jason

HT = Sony HW45ES @133" / Lumagen Radiance / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony x800 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI game PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #8 of 25 Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

How did I do? Did I hit them all.
You seem very knowledgeable on the subject. You missed afew like the poor response time of LCD for gaming, but overall not a bad summary. Everyone should take the above advice as gospel from a reformed LCD guy like you. You must lie awake nights slapping yourself on the forehead for your past mistakes !

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #9 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, would you mind helping me out and hooking up a laptop or something to your projector and seeing if it does the thing described in my post here?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...on-2030-a.html

Basically, do areas of black on the screen become areas of dark on the projected image if you switch to a tv show / movie? a half hour of computer use is enough to cause a shadow of my taskbar and bookmarklets to linger over netflix.

Much appreciated!
post #10 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterhawk View Post
Hey, would you mind helping me out and hooking up a laptop or something to your projector and seeing if it does the thing described in my post here?

Basically, do areas of black on the screen become areas of dark on the projected image if you switch to a tv show / movie? a half hour of computer use is enough to cause a shadow of my taskbar and bookmarklets to linger over netflix.

Much appreciated!
Hmmm thats weird, that doesnt happen to me. I never let one image sit still on any of my displays tho.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Hmmm thats weird, that doesnt happen to me. I never let one image sit still on any of my displays tho.
It's got me boggled pretty good, because the unit the refurb is replacing didn't do it either. Makes me wonder if some component in the optical system is defective. I would computer for hours at a time, then switch to netflix or amazon and there would be nothing like this. Literally a blackish tinted band across the bottom of the image, it takes a good while to fade away as well. I haven't tested it, but I expect something similar to happen if i switch from a 2.39:1 movie to 16:9 content, only over a larger area.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
It's got me boggled pretty good, because the unit the refurb is replacing didn't do it either. Makes me wonder if some component in the optical system is defective. I would computer for hours at a time, then switch to netflix or amazon and there would be nothing like this. Literally a blackish tinted band across the bottom of the image, it takes a good while to fade away as well. I haven't tested it, but I expect something similar to happen if i switch from a 2.39:1 movie to 16:9 content, only over a larger area.
I think I've read something similar once..ever.
It's not normal and it's definitely worth taking advantage of the fast exchange to replace the replacement.
There's always a small chance of getting a bad refurbished product since they aren't always inspected very well (sometimes not at all, it seems), so weird things can happen.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #13 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Much appreciated!
One of the professional reviews noted that they got a burn in (ghost image) during testing after leaving the same screen up for an extended time, but that after a few minutes of other content the burn in was gone. I'm still trying to find the review.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Those of us who research a lot understand that the entry level Epson 1080p LCD home theater projectors generally get good reviews and typically end up with overall scores just slightly behind the best entry level 1080p DLP home theater projectors. But most of the reviews also point out that anyone who is RBE-sensitive would be better off with LCD, and that they wouldn't be missing a lot with one of the Epsons over a comparable DLP.

As the above conclusions get repeated on forums in the form of advice to projector shoppers, the professional evaluations are often shortened into a sentence or two. Valuable information often gets left out or distorted, and the performance differences between these two types of projectors are often exaggerated in favor of DLP. In the spirit of turnabout is fair play, some exaggerated pushback from satisfied Epson LCD users should be expected. Those who are trying to choose between the two have to try to separate the realities from the exaggerations.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Sorry, I told myself that I was going to walk away from the forum, but it looks like it is going to be baby steps. I did go over 24 hours thanks to a 103 degree fever as a parting shot from a cold.
Steve I have walked away quite a few time from the forum and at times for close to 5 years. When I pop back in some things have changed and some things have stayed the same. I see old friends gone and some opinions I really valued no longer around of older members and I wonder if they are still around even. I will be fading away again shortly as I have a nice setup I like now thanks to some great information I got here on how the tech has changed. Like always I tried to pay it forward what I learned here with documentation of what I did and some agreed with me and many told me it was all wrong. But I’m happy and that’s the bottom line.

I think this forum is as much a study of human interactions as it is about AV Science. I always have a habit on all the forums I belong to of glancing at the stats under the posters names I see people belonging to a forum for 15 years almost the length of the internet for most people and having made 20,000 posts or more and I thing my God this person is really invested in this to the point of equal to a part time job. I then look at the likes and quotes etc and it gives a vague outline of the people you interact with. On one forum I am a frequent poster on and an area I feel I have helpful expertise on I noted one day to a friend on the forum that I have a ratio of likes to posts of 1:3 and I said if I was in major league baseball batting 333 would be pretty good. He then started looking around and declared me the most liked man on the forum.

I try hard to separate the wheat from the chaff and sometimes its more like sorting fly poop from pepper, I found your post quite amusing and took it in the tone it was written tongue in cheek.

As to front projection: The bottom line is trust your eyes and enjoyment. There will always be better and there will always be worse. In my case as I have said before there is a necessity of knowledge in this hobby and the true pleasure of it is forgetting what you know when you are viewing it. Watching FP thru the eyes of a child is the way to go. My greatest pleasure in FP is putting on a show for others that know nothing about what they are viewing except it is beautiful and it’s in my home. Watching them react to the image and jump when the subwoofers crack. Every bit of it from providing a movie size box of popcorn to doing a slow fade to black starting the show. None of them question the CR or the lumens or the color accuracy, they talk about the movie they just lived thru on the big screen and say how much better it was than any movie theater they have been to.

Stick around or fade to black, but don’t second guess anything after all it’s just a hobby.

And Enjoy!

Bud
post #16 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Much appreciated!
If this is what you were talking about, Soundandvision.com found:

Interestingly, there was noticeable image retention when static bright images were left on screen for extended periods. Though I knew this was theoretically possible, it’s the first time I’ve seen it with an LCD-based display. Like image retention with other displays (plasma, OLED), watching other content for a few minutes wiped the retained image clear.—GM
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...EDEAiuHGbGt.99
post #17 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Interestingly, there was noticeable image retention when static bright images were left on screen for extended periods. Though I knew this was theoretically possible, it’s the first time I’ve seen it with an LCD-based display. Like image retention with other displays (plasma, OLED), watching other content for a few minutes wiped the retained image clear.—GM
Yeah, that's it alright, except it lingers for upwards of an hour :/ I'm going to hassle epson support about it, my original warranty has about three months left. Thanks for finding that! It's got to, hopefully, be somewhat rare in occurance, as NitroViper has reported none of this issue. I suppose I could just leave this projector running all the time and see if breaking in the thing makes it stop doing this, i can rack up a few dozen hours quickly enough by leaving jscreenfix running as my screensaver, or setting it to solid white or something.

Last edited by Carterhawk; 10-24-2015 at 11:19 AM.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-24-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Way back when DLP was first introduced, the lack of image retention or "burn in" was touted as one of its advantages over CRT, Plasma, and LCD displays. Flipping mirrors do not burn in, although they do eventually fail by sticking in one position. Phosphors in CRT or Plasma burn in quite easily as those of us who used CRT computer monitors for decades can attest. LCD crystals locked into one position for a long time and requiring a lot of time flipped the other direction to clear is rare in home theater because of the constantly changing content, but some TV channels with logos will burn in and computer use especially with games or browsers or desktop with a constant status bar will be a problem. For computer use, there used to be tools that would "orbit" the entire image and move it around by a few pixels every few seconds but I haven't looked for one in years.

Kirk Ellis
post #19 of 25 Old 10-25-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Way back when DLP was first introduced, the lack of image retention or "burn in" was touted as one of its advantages over CRT, Plasma, and LCD displays. Flipping mirrors do not burn in, although they do eventually fail by sticking in one position. Phosphors in CRT or Plasma burn in quite easily as those of us who used CRT computer monitors for decades can attest. LCD crystals locked into one position for a long time and requiring a lot of time flipped the other direction to clear is rare in home theater because of the constantly changing content, but some TV channels with logos will burn in and computer use especially with games or browsers or desktop with a constant status bar will be a problem. For computer use, there used to be tools that would "orbit" the entire image and move it around by a few pixels every few seconds but I haven't looked for one in years.
Shouldn't even be an issue, as good as the tech seems to be these days. That said, I've been doing tests with photoshop and it is only the green panel that is having problems, it's getting stuck and screwing everything up. If I throw up solid blue or red or magenta then nothing, but green, orange, cyan, and any grays all show definite problems with burn-in/retention. I guess I know what I'm doing monday....

btw, apologies to nitroviper for totally hijacking your thread man!
post #20 of 25 Old 10-25-2015, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that's it alright, except it lingers for upwards of an hour :/ I'm going to hassle epson support about it, my original warranty has about three months left. Thanks for finding that! It's got to, hopefully, be somewhat rare in occurance, as NitroViper has reported none of this issue. I suppose I could just leave this projector running all the time and see if breaking in the thing makes it stop doing this, i can rack up a few dozen hours quickly enough by leaving jscreenfix running as my screensaver, or setting it to solid white or something.
I figured I would test this and see if it happened to me.

Last night I left my projector on my desktop for about 2 hours when I went to the store. Figured I didn't care since I just got it and can easily return for a new one.

I got home it was still on the same screen. I immediately opened a webpage (plain old google) and there was nothing left over from the desktop. I used google because its mostly white and I would be able to see burnt desktop items over the white.

I them opened a movie and still nothing.

Id try to replace it if I were you. Bug them enough they will send you a new one. They have good customer service.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Shouldn't even be an issue, as good as the tech seems to be these days. That said, I've been doing tests with photoshop and it is only the green panel that is having problems, it's getting stuck and screwing everything up. If I throw up solid blue or red or magenta then nothing, but green, orange, cyan, and any grays all show definite problems with burn-in/retention. I guess I know what I'm doing monday....

btw, apologies to nitroviper for totally hijacking your thread man!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...new-projector/

Kirk Ellis
post #22 of 25 Old 10-31-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Uploaded a new video at top of this page. Just incase anyone ever wants to see videos of the Epson 2030.
post #23 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I didn't have much problem with my 2030 other than the curve on the bottom of the screen when ceiling mounted or at the top when shelf mounted.
If ya want a negative comment, I can see some of that curve in yours but it's not as bad as mine.
However the HDMI board on mine just died yesterday so I'm sending it in for a replacement.
If you suffer from RBE there's not much you can do other than go LCD .
I just ordered a BenQ 1070 to replace it. I don't suffer RBE. I have an older DLP rear projection tv and I think it looks great. It's nine years old.
A lot of us on this forum aren't rich. We don't have 3-5k to spend on a PJ.
I say Enjoy that 2030 as I have mine.

Last edited by Dodgedriver67; 11-02-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #24 of 25 Old 11-03-2015, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgedriver67 View Post
I didn't have much problem with my 2030 other than the curve on the bottom of the screen when ceiling mounted or at the top when shelf mounted.
If ya want a negative comment, I can see some of that curve in yours but it's not as bad as mine.
However the HDMI board on mine just died yesterday so I'm sending it in for a replacement.
If you suffer from RBE there's not much you can do other than go LCD .
I just ordered a BenQ 1070 to replace it. I don't suffer RBE. I have an older DLP rear projection tv and I think it looks great. It's nine years old.
A lot of us on this forum aren't rich. We don't have 3-5k to spend on a PJ.
I say Enjoy that 2030 as I have mine.
wanna sell the 2030 for parts for mine?

My projector screen is actually very squared. Used a level and a measured 5 times lol. Maybe it look curved because the camera is to the side and down?
post #25 of 25 Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
wanna sell the 2030 for parts for mine?

My projector screen is actually very squared. Used a level and a measured 5 times lol. Maybe it look curved because the camera is to the side and down?
Epson is replacing it. It was under warranty for another three months. Good thing for the two year warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page