Need your opinion for a projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-27-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need your opinion for a projector

Please guys and girls, i just need a opinion if i do the right thing. I almost ready to buy the optoma hd141x. I choose it cause it's one of the cheapest 1080p projectors. You all going to say to go for the benq w1070 but i live in ****ing greece and my salery is low. I think for 540euros it's a good choice. I never had a projector so don't know almost anything about them. I have read some rewies and seems that some aren't happy with it. So just need an opinion from you. Pls let me know.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 896
The 141 has a few limits that might or might not matter.
-It doesn't have many input options (skips most/all analog inputs), so hdmi is basically mandatory.
-Its color-brightness is very low, so you'll either want to keep to a modest screen-size or you'll need to suffer more inaccurate settings to light-up your screen.
-Its colorwheel is slow, so it is a poor choice for anyone that's rainbow-sensitive.
-Its zoom is limited and it doesn't have any lens-shift, so you'll want to use something like the calculator at projectorcentral.com to pin-point where you'll need to mount it.

With all that in mind it's a solid projector with a very low price.
You might want to check prices on the older w1070 and newer Vivitek 1186 in your region, otherwise that Optoma is not a bad choice if the above are too much more expensive or you require 3D and can't find an inexpensive Epson 8345r.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #3 of 7 Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
In terms of noise Optoma HD141X is inconstant in quality, some units noticeably louder that other.
So it is better to check it in person before buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The 141 has a few limits that might or might not matter.
-It doesn't have many input options (skips most/all analog inputs), so hdmi is basically mandatory.
-Its color-brightness is very low, so you'll either want to keep to a modest screen-size or you'll need to suffer more inaccurate settings to light-up your screen.
-Its colorwheel is slow, so it is a poor choice for anyone that's rainbow-sensitive.
-Its zoom is limited and it doesn't have any lens-shift, so you'll want to use something like the calculator at projectorcentral.com to pin-point where you'll need to mount it.

With all that in mind it's a solid projector with a very low price.
You might want to check prices on the older w1070 and newer Vivitek 1186 in your region, otherwise that Optoma is not a bad choice if the above are too much more expensive or you require 3D and can't find an inexpensive Epson 8345r.
Thank you very much.
I have already checked other projectors and mostly the benqw1070 that all talk about, but all are more expensive.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-27-2015, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRaid View Post
In terms of noise Optoma HD141X is inconstant in quality, some units noticeably louder that other.
So it is better to check it in person before buying.
Thats a problem, if i buy it i will order it from italian amazon. :/
post #6 of 7 Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodex View Post
Thats a problem, if i buy it i will order it from italian amazon. :/
I take it Italian Amazon (that's a fun phrase) and return-policy aren't exactly hug-basis friends..
Are there any local stores/shops with decent return-policies you can take unfair advantage of, or better yet, local shops with some form of price-matching and a backup exchange/return?
The 141 tends to be weirdly messed up in its fan-dampening, which its twin-sister the hd26 got right (but is otherwise exactly identical despite lying manufacturers specs and a $100+ price increase).
This is another reason the w1070/1075 and Vivitek 1186 (or Vivitek 1188 if gaming isn't a major concern) is brought up..if pricing in your area is close enough..well, you'll be getting both a better picture possibly and a more consistent build.

IBDT..at this very second, so I might be a bit handicapped.
I don't mean to harp on something outside of your budget (and am sorry for rubbing it it likely far too often) but I only bring up the other models because the price difference in the US/Canada is quite small. Not truly couch-change small, but nearly.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I take it Italian Amazon (that's a fun phrase) and return-policy aren't exactly hug-basis friends..
Are there any local stores/shops with decent return-policies you can take unfair advantage of, or better yet, local shops with some form of price-matching and a backup exchange/return?
The 141 tends to be weirdly messed up in its fan-dampening, which its twin-sister the hd26 got right (but is otherwise exactly identical despite lying manufacturers specs and a $100+ price increase).
This is another reason the w1070/1075 and Vivitek 1186 (or Vivitek 1188 if gaming isn't a major concern) is brought up..if pricing in your area is close enough..well, you'll be getting both a better picture possibly and a more consistent build.

IBDT..at this very second, so I might be a bit handicapped.
I don't mean to harp on something outside of your budget (and am sorry for rubbing it it likely far too often) but I only bring up the other models because the price difference in the US/Canada is quite small. Not truly couch-change small, but nearly.
The cheapest 141x in greece is about 100 euros more expensive than the one on amzaon (incl. shiping cost). The cheapest 141x i could buy is about 630 and the benq 1070 is about 785 euros (non iclude shipping cost, thats at least 10$). And the odd thing is that the prices are always rising the last months. Will give it a good thought. Thank you for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
1080 , buy , dlp , Optoma , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page