Room temperature and lamp + projector longevity - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Room temperature and lamp + projector longevity

This is probably a silly question, but I was told there is no such thing as a stupid question LOL...
Would the Home Theater room temperature affect the longevity of your projector?
My wife keeps telling me that we should keep the AC down to 65 degrees when running the projector because it will assist with cooling the lamp and and thus expand the device longevity.
I always keep our place below 70 degree anyway, but I was wondering if cool to cold temperatures would be a positive factor here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky3RD View Post
This is probably a silly question, but I was told there is no such thing as a stupid question LOL...
Would the Home Theater room temperature affect the longevity of your projector?
My wife keeps telling me that we should keep the AC down to 65 degrees when running the projector because it will assist with cooling the lamp and and thus expand the device longevity.
I always keep our place below 70 degree anyway, but I was wondering if cool to cold temperatures would be a positive factor here
As a rule of thumb, all electronics benefit from running in a cool environment. However, if you are already at 70 I don't see going down to 65 really making a difference; can't hurt though. Keeping your fans clean and leaving enough space for airflow is just as (if not more) important.
post #3 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
At my old house I had low ceilings and my projector was slammed up with only an inch of clearance. I bought an indoor outdoor thermometer had it mounted to measure room temp as indoor and then hung the outdoor sensor about one inches away from the projector and in the outflow warm air. Output air was something like 140F when the room was 70F. It is not a matter of cooling the room it is more a matter of moving that 140F air away from the projector. I mounted a couple small pancake fans wired to a 12V wall wart transformer and let then assist the fans in the projector getting an air flow going over and around the projector. I dropped the output temp 20 to 30 degrees. The projector I had was noted for short lamp life and after doing this the lamp life improved to the point of being longer than the life of most projectors. When I moved the projector to another room with higher ceilings I didn’t move the fans as there wasn’t as much hot air trapped around the projector. The small computer size fans didn’t change the noise level much. I did for a while also run the projector on high altitude mode and it also lowered the output air temp.

Now the projector I just bought comes right out and says do not run the high altitude setting unless you are at high altitude and that the projector is designed to run a certain temp. I don’t know at this point if I believe that logic or not.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
As a rule of thumb, all electronics benefit from running in a cool environment. However, if you are already at 70 I don't see going down to 65 really making a difference; can't hurt though. Keeping your fans clean and leaving enough space for airflow is just as (if not more) important.
i have the AC fan blowing directly toward the projector, it does make sense on paper to counter heat with cool area, and I think 65 degrees would work better than 70 degrees.
The heat escapes projector from a front vent (not side vent) so it is not that hard to keep enough space for airflow
post #5 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6213 Post(s)
Liked: 6885
What does the "high altitude" setting do? Run the fan faster because the air density is less at high altitude?

See? One silly question leads to another...
post #6 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
The projector I had was noted for short lamp life and after doing this the lamp life improved to the point of being longer than the life of most projectors. .
that was really what I was trying to get to. If a lamp's life expectancy is say, 3000 hours, would keeping the projector constanly at sub 70 degrees expand that life expectancy to say, 7000 hours or more?
post #7 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
i have the AC fan blowing directly toward the projector, it does make sense on paper to counter heat with cool area, and I think 65 degrees would work better than 70 degrees.
The heat escapes projector from a front vent (not side vent) so it is not that hard to keep enough space for airflow
In cases like yours where you have a fan blowing directly toward the projector, it becomes even more important to clean your filters regularly. Even if you have a very clean house, it can be surprising just how much dust can form on those filters and especially if you have forced air moving directly toward the projector. Just something to keep in mind.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
What does the "high altitude" setting do? Run the fan faster because the air density is less at high altitude?

Feel bad for folks in Colorado
J/K
post #9 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
that was really what I was trying to get to. If a lamp's life expectancy is say, 3000 hours, would keeping the projector constanly at sub 70 degrees expand that life expectancy to say, 7000 hours or more?
I would say it would definitely increase the likelihood it would extend the bulb life. You just never know with electronics. I keep my server room at 64 degrees. I have servers that have run 10+ years without a hitch and right next to those I have one server that I've had to change a hard drive out twice in the last 2 years. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Correct

Bud
post #11 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In cases like yours where you have a fan blowing directly toward the projector, it becomes even more important to clean your filters regularly. Even if you have a very clean house, it can be surprising just how much dust can form on those filters and especially if you have forced air moving directly toward the projector. Just something to keep in mind.
is there a link or instructional video somewhere on how to properly clean projectors' filters?
post #12 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
So what happens in the winter when the vent is blowing heat?
post #13 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
is there a link or instructional video somewhere on how to properly clean projectors' filters?
Actually, I think you run a DLP correct? I don't believe they usually have air filters; I'm used to running LCD projectors even though I recently did switch to DLP.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually, I think you run a DLP correct? I don't believe they usually have air filters; I'm used to running LCD projectors even though I recently did switch to DLP.
Correct. So DLP projectors do not need any special cleaning?
Off topic, but DLP looks so much more "classy" than LED. It brings back a nostalgic "old movie theater" feel that LED technology cannot reproduce
post #15 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
So what happens in the winter when the vent is blowing heat?
We dont have winters in Miami...AC blows year-round
post #16 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Correct. So DLP projectors do not need any special cleaning?
Off topic, but DLP looks so much more "classy" than LED. It brings back a nostalgic "old movie theater" feel that LED technology cannot reproduce
Nope, no special cleaning. If you see the vents are excessively dusty you can vacuum them out; you don't want to blow air directly into the projector though.

If you are talking about LED TVs I agree. However, I actually feel like LCD projectors give a slightly more theater type feel over DLP projectors. I thinks it's because LCDs have a little more grainy look rather than the sharper DLP. To me, a DLP projector is like having a huge plasma TV. I don't think one technology is necessarily better than the other. I've loved my LCD projectors and am loving my current DLP just as much!
post #17 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope, no special cleaning. If you see the vents are excessively dusty you can vacuum them out; you don't want to blow air directly into the projector though.

If you are talking about LED TVs I agree. However, I actually feel like LCD projectors give a slightly more theater type feel over DLP projectors. I thinks it's because LCDs have a little more grainy look rather than the sharper DLP. To me, a DLP projector is like having a huge plasma TV. I don't think one technology is necessarily better than the other. I've loved my LCD projectors and am loving my current DLP just as much!
What do you think you are watching when you go to the movies, DLP or LCD technology?
post #18 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
What do you think you are watching when you go to the movies, DLP or LCD technology?
Sure, DLP projectors are used now. I'm thinking about before digital cinema when film was still used
post #19 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure, DLP projectors are used now. I'm thinking about before digital cinema when film was still used
To me the objective is to reach as close a replica of an actual movie theater at home, and DLP is about doing just that. LCD just misses the cinematographic atmosphere of a real movie theater...
And to sstay on topic, movie theaters are usually pretty cold too
post #20 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think they could electronically build a mode into projectors called “nostalgic” it could take any DVD or BluRay and add a frame per second flicker to the output along with a clicking noise coming from the projector. The best part would be have some random dust generator add specs of dust to the image once in a while.

My favorite part of a movie as a kid is when the gate would stick and the film stop for a split second, just long enough for the lamp to melt the frame and you would see the film burn up. It took about 5 minutes to splice the film and after about 2 minutes all the kids would start yelling and throwing popcorn. Once the splice was made the movie started back up and everyone would cheer.

Bud
post #21 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think they could electronically build a mode into projectors called “nostalgic” it could take any DVD or BluRay and add a frame per second flicker to the output along with a clicking noise coming from the projector. The best part would be have some random dust generator add specs of dust to the image once in a while.

My favorite part of a movie as a kid is when the gate would stick and the film stop for a split second, just long enough for the lamp to melt the frame and you would see the film burn up. It took about 5 minutes to splice the film and after about 2 minutes all the kids would start yelling and throwing popcorn. Once the splice was made the movie started back up and everyone would cheer.
Funny you say that, I have old re-mastered movies in bluray originally filmed in Cinemascope...Are you familiar with Cinemascope? This is a camera technology discovered first by a french man then brought to Holywood in the 50's which was all the rave back then.
Once yo uwatch a movie in Cinemascope on a DLP projector with at least a 120" screen you will realize that not all movie-watching experiences are created equal.
post #22 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
To me the objective is to reach as close a replica of an actual movie theater at home, and DLP is about doing just that. LCD just misses the cinematographic atmosphere of a real movie theater...
And to sstay on topic, movie theaters are usually pretty cold too
I see what you're saying and that makes sense. I grew up going to the movies in either a small 2 screen theater or at the drive-in (which is still open). So, for me, that movie "feeling" comes with a dimmer picture and some film grain. The LCDs I've used more closely represent that than the brighter, sharper DLPs I've used. That's not to say I don't appreciate the nicer looking picture of more modern theaters and I agree DLPs can more accurately reproduce that picture which is why I run one now; at least until I can scratch up enough cash for a JVC

And yes, theaters are cold
post #23 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 85
For what it is worth these lamps operate at some 900 - 1000 deg C; so keeping the room at normal 72 - 78 deg F should be fine. I doubt dropping the temperature 5- 10 degrees is going to make much difference in the long run to lamp life. Just make sure the fans are working, which all PJ's check continually and you should be fine.

High altitude settings are there to compensate for the thinner air which does not cool as efficiently; so using faster fan setting help to compensate for that lack.

Rew
Vizio PX75-G1 | Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4500H | OPPO UDP-203 | Tivo Bolt+| Nvidia Shield Android TV | Roku Ultra | Apple TV 4k | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS8 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 | Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER
post #24 of 26 Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Keeping the room at just a few degrees above zero also makes for a better movie-watching experience. So it's a win-win deal
post #25 of 26 Old 11-19-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

These filters exist if you have an HTPC.
post #26 of 26 Old 11-19-2015, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
These filters exist if you have an HTPC.
Thanks I do run a poor man’s version of HTPC maybe I will look around. I kind of posted that in jest but then again it would be fun to do once in a while. I had an iPhone app that did something like that once.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page