W1070 Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
W1070 Placement

I just tried the online calculator at Benq for a w1070. The screen capture shows the results. The room I'm in has 11 foot ceilings. I'm trying to figure out how low the projector will need to be from the ceiling. I know this projector has some vertical shift. Does anyone know how to interpret the Benq site? It says vertical 2 foot 8 inches. Does that mean that I can reduce the distance the projector has to come down from the ceiling by 2 feet 8 inches? I don't really want to have the projector down 4 feet as it now recommends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1085642  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The calculator on the BenQ website seems to be a little screwy for stuff like this. Basically the w1070 has to be 2"-6" above the top of the screen if you're ceiling mounting. The vertical lens shift is limited, so you have about a 4" range to play with. Figure out how far the top of the screen will be from the ceiling, see how tall your mount is, and then buy an extension pole that will get you into the correct range.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjammin172 View Post
The calculator on the BenQ website seems to be a little screwy for stuff like this. Basically the w1070 has to be 2"-6" above the top of the screen if you're ceiling mounting. The vertical lens shift is limited, so you have about a 4" range to play with. Figure out how far the top of the screen will be from the ceiling, see how tall your mount is, and then buy an extension pole that will get you into the correct range.
I'm disappointed that the lens shift is so limited. 2-6 inches is hardly usable. Right now it looks like I'll need to bring the projector down 4 feet from the ceiling, which I think will look pretty dumb. I read another post that it's a bad idea to use the keystone correction as it will distort the image. Perhaps I need to get a bigger screen or raise the screen farther up off the ground. None of them are great solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-02-2015, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by taburete68 View Post
I'm disappointed that the lens shift is so limited. 2-6 inches is hardly usable. Right now it looks like I'll need to bring the projector down 4 feet from the ceiling, which I think will look pretty dumb. I read another post that it's a bad idea to use the keystone correction as it will distort the image. Perhaps I need to get a bigger screen or raise the screen farther up off the ground. None of them are great solutions.
Well the w1070 is only $700 for a reason. The picture quality is exceptional, but the features are relatively limited. Have you taped off the screen area to see how big it will actually be on the wall? You could probably go a little bit bigger, and that would reduce the drop that you need. Also, I doubt anyone will ever notice the projector with such a huge screen in the room. I hardly ever notice mine with an 8' ceiling, and it's right above my seating area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page