Managing Projector Bulb Flicker - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #91 of 100 Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've had flicker on all lmy previous lamps in my two previous projectors, the Mits HD1000 and the Optoma HD71. It was really bad on the optoma and I was constantly switching to high and eco lamp mode to fix it. I haven't had any issues with my BenQ 2050.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Used it just on Full lamp for about 350 hours, switched to SmartEco and it started flickering.
It must be beyond repair.
post #93 of 100 Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
You might want to remove the lamps and clean the contacts on the lamp and projector. I had this problem on my JVC RS-1. It appears the contacts oxidize in the high heat and the lamp will start to flicker. After I cleaned the contacts, the flickering went away....

I used DeOxit....
According to the post above cleaning the contacts might remediate the issue, could this be the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 100 Old 10-21-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My new Optoma HD-243x has flickering in Eco mode. It's got less than 100 hours on the bulb (about 50 hours is on full brightness).
After some back and forth with Optoma support they are recommending that I return / RMA the projector.
Fortunately I bought from Costco, and with their generous return policy I have the choice of starting all over again.

Question is.. should I just get a replacement HD-243x (I'm otherwise happy with the pj) or should I be looking at other makes / models?
How common is flickering with these lower end projectors?
I've had an InFocus and an Acer projector before but this is the first time I've seen flicker in Eco mode.

I'm looking for something for a light controlled room (basement) and that is quiet - around 25 dB.
post #95 of 100 Old 10-21-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbo View Post
My new Optoma HD-243x has flickering in Eco mode. It's got less than 100 hours on the bulb (about 50 hours is on full brightness).
After some back and forth with Optoma support they are recommending that I return / RMA the projector.
Fortunately I bought from Costco, and with their generous return policy I have the choice of starting all over again.

Question is.. should I just get a replacement HD-243x (I'm otherwise happy with the pj) or should I be looking at other makes / models?
How common is flickering with these lower end projectors?
I've had an InFocus and an Acer projector before but this is the first time I've seen flicker in Eco mode.

I'm looking for something for a light controlled room (basement) and that is quiet - around 25 dB.
I don't believe there are any specific models that are known to have flicker (except for the Sony HW45/65). It just happens, there should not be any issue with optoma's bulbs, just bad luck.

The lamp (BL-FP240G) is used in other models as well:

• Optoma DH350
  • Optoma EH334
  • Optoma EH335
  • Optoma EH336
  • Optoma EH337
  • Optoma HD143X
  • Optoma HD144X
  • Optoma HD270e
  • Optoma HD27Be
  • Optoma HD27e
  • Optoma SP.7AZ01GC01
  • Optoma WU334
  • Optoma WU336

If you want to switch brands the Benq HT2050A is recommended model (although with a shorter throw) which has an RGBRGB color wheel (better colors), or an Epson, which have cheaper lamps.
post #96 of 100 Old 10-21-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
I don't believe there are any specific models that are known to have flicker (except for the Sony HW45/65). It just happens, there should not be any issue with optoma's bulbs, just bad luck.

The lamp (BL-FP240G) is used in other models as well:

• Optoma DH350
  • Optoma EH334
  • Optoma EH335
  • Optoma EH336
  • Optoma EH337
  • Optoma HD143X
  • Optoma HD144X
  • Optoma HD270e
  • Optoma HD27Be
  • Optoma HD27e
  • Optoma SP.7AZ01GC01
  • Optoma WU334
  • Optoma WU336

If you want to switch brands the Benq HT2050A is recommended model (although with a shorter throw) which has an RGBRGB color wheel (better colors), or an Epson, which have cheaper lamps.
Thanks. I was indeed looking at the Benq HT2050A. Decisions, decisions...
Too bad InFocus is out of the projector business otherwise the ScreenPlay SP1081HD would be in play as well.
post #97 of 100 Old 10-21-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbo View Post
Thanks. I was indeed looking at the Benq HT2050A. Decisions, decisions...
Too bad InFocus is out of the projector business otherwise the ScreenPlay SP1081HD would be in play as well.
Not to say that Benq bulbs can't have flicker, the issue mentioned in the posts above are with the same lamp used on the HT2050A.

You can use this site for the 2050A and other models to check if the throw range fits the current setup. The Optoma HD-243x has a minimum throw range of x.1.47 and the Benq HT2050A has top throw range of x1.5.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

Last edited by noob00224; 10-21-2019 at 09:03 PM.
post #98 of 100 Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM

@noob00224 thanks for your advice. I've decided to stay with the Optoma. Returned the original HD-243X and ordered a replacement.
Fingers crossed that the new one doesn't have the same problem.
noob00224 likes this.
post #99 of 100 Old 05-24-2020, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
It's and interesting theory... But it seems somewhat conflated I think or coincidental.

If the projector is expecting to see an NTSC 60Hz signal (set for this from the line frequency when plugged in) and you're sending it a PAL 50Hz signal, that probably accounts for the flicker. Not the lamp mode. In other words a video timing/phase difference. What happens when using the satellite box set for PAL with the projectors lamp set to high?

The Sony VPL-HW40ES does not have a dynamic iris function. A dynamic iris algorithm would be the only realistic link to the lamp that would/could introduce dimming based on program material.

The VPL-HW40ES has a regulated power supply making the projectors operation constant regardless of signal input. Likewise, the satellite box has not changed it's power supply and signal strength/voltage would/should be the same regardless of the signal NTSC/PAL. What has changed is the bandwidth, phase, frequency, etc. between two different standards. If the projector is referenced to 60Hz for its operation and your send it a signal that's timed to a 50Hz reference...

When you start the projector, several thousand volts of electricity are generated in the projectors power supply/blast, controlled by a driver circuit and conducted through the lamps electrodes creating an arc using the mercury vapor as a discharge medium. After the start cycle and the arc is established, the projectors lamp driver circuit reduces the voltage and current. The lamps electrode gap distance is precise and is kept stable during the lamps lifetime by a regenerative chemical cycle which uses oxygen and bromine generated during the arc process to transport evaporated tungsten back to the electrodes to help maintain their shape/gap.

When you switch or operate the projector in LOW/ECO MODE, the lamp start up phase is exactly the same as operating the lamp in its HIGH/NORMAL or full power setting. However, in LOW/ECO MODE both the voltage and current to the lamp are reduced while in service/operation and the lamp produces fewer lumens or is less bright.

Operating the lamp in LOW/ECO MODE may consume less electricity but the byproduct is that the chemical cycle producing tungsten that refreshes the shape and gap distance of the electrode is less efficient. The inefficiency of the tungsten generation can or may produce a lamp electrode shape or gap that is less than optimum were the result is that the arc is not stable or "dances" on the electrodes producing a lamp flicker.

Flicker happens when the lamps electrode shape, electrode gap, or both deviate from from optimum conditions.

This explains why that when returning the VPL-HW40ES lamp setting to HIGH, lamp flicker is mitigated.

If for what ever reason you choose to operate your projector in LOW/ECO mode, you should make a habit of operating the projector for a few hours in the HIGH/NORMAL mode at least once a month and especially so if you're experiencing any flickering. This will help to "exercise" the lamp in the maintenance of the electrode gap/shape.
Your statement about lamp characteristics was used in a quote to help me out, well written. Thanks for putting it out there.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
post #100 of 100 Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Your statement about lamp characteristics was used in a quote to help me out, well written. Thanks for putting it out there.
I'm happy that it was helpful for you.

I think that operating a projector in ECO mode can sometimes be an exercise in false economics with regards to lamp life vs. picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page