Can't Decide Between: BenQ HT3050 and Epson 5030UB - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can't Decide Between: BenQ HT3050 and Epson 5030UB

Can't decide between these two. Really need flexible lens shift as I will have to move the projector often. Really boils down to LCD vs DLP. Dont suffer from rainbow effect and willing to spend more for the Epson. But not sure if Benq will be same for less. Already returned Optoma hdx141X due to how much of a pain it was to set up in my living room. Couldn't not get the image squared. I can't mount the projector on the ceiling so I have to be creative on where to place it. Will mostly watch at night with Blue Rays and Apple TV. Some football.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
A used JVC with a Square Trade warranty is another option in the same price range.

However, the Epson is a nice projector for placement flexibility and having good blacks. A used JVC would be much nicer

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #3 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
A used JVC with a Square Trade warranty is another option in the same price range.

However, the Epson is a nice projector for placement flexibility and having good blacks. A used JVC would be much nicer
Thanks. I don't really buy used electronics especially if spending 1K+, new JVC's outside my price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
I would say the Epson or the Sony hw40 then.
I hear you on used electronics at those high prices, it's just that Square Trade warranties seem to always come through for people, but everyone has second thoughts when buying used (including myself), so I completely understand.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 01-22-2016 at 05:06 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I would say the Epson or the Sony vw40 then.
I hear you on used electronics at those high prices, it's just that Square Trade warranties seem to always come through for people, but everyone has second thoughts when buying used (including myself), so I completely understand.
Picture quality wise how much better is the Epson over the BenQ? Or for that matter the sony
post #6 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barana2080 View Post
Picture quality wise how much better is the Epson over the BenQ? Or for that matter the sony
Image detail and shadow detail is much better on Sony HW40ES vs. any of Benq's entry level projectors.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
The only thing I see is the "have to move the projector often". You do realize how big the Epson and Sony are compared to the entry level 1080p projectors. Also, it sounds like your room might not be treated to get the most out of a "better" projector so why not go with the much smaller BenQ HT3050 for $999. While it doesn't have the best contrast, it holds up well in a regular room.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson-EH-TW5300-EH-TW9200W.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1195202  

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Can't decide between these two. Really need flexible lens shift as I will have to move the projector often. Really boils down to LCD vs DLP. Dont suffer from rainbow effect and willing to spend more for the Epson. But not sure if Benq will be same for less. Already returned Optoma hdx141X due to how much of a pain it was to set up in my living room. Couldn't not get the image squared. I can't mount the projector on the ceiling so I have to be creative on where to place it. Will mostly watch at night with Blue Rays and Apple TV. Some football.
I believe your best deal would be a Epson HC 3500 refurb for $999 from Epson. com. Much better projector than any of Benq's entry level projectors.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
I believe your best deal would be a Epson HC 3500 refurb for $999 from Epson. com. Much better projector than any of Benq's entry level projectors.
I'm back in the projector market and wanting to cheap out as I never use the theater that much and am considering one of the BenQ entry projectors but I need to see one. Have you actually compared side by side?

I ask because I just demoed an Epson 5030 and found it to be a horrible projector. Soft picture, Color OK not perfect, ANSI contrast not great, very flat uninteresting picture. I would have given it 3 out of 5 stars. But then 30 seconds later, there was the motion blur--horrible, terrible motion blur--rendered the projector un-watchable: 1 out of 5 starts in my book. This sort of solidified my belief that LCD is fatally flawed tech and there can never be a good looking LCD Projector.

I'd prefer not to step up to the Sony so I'm hoping the BenQs are decent.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 View Post
I'm back in the projector market and wanting to cheap out as I never use the theater that much and am considering one of the BenQ entry projectors but I need to see one. Have you actually compared side by side?

I ask because I just demoed an Epson 5030 and found it to be a horrible projector. Soft picture, Color OK not perfect, ANSI contrast not great, very flat uninteresting picture. I would have given it 3 out of 5 stars. But then 30 seconds later, there was the motion blur--horrible, terrible motion blur--rendered the projector un-watchable: 1 out of 5 starts in my book. This sort of solidified my belief that LCD is fatally flawed tech and there can never be a good looking LCD Projector.

If you are not going to use your home theater much then be all means get a cheap, entry level Benq projector. No use in paying for anything beyond them for a seldom used ht room.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Can't Decide Between: BenQ HT3050 and Epson 5030UB

Quote:

For a dedicated theater, I'd step up to the Sony and use the fact that it's pretty-much best-in-class as an excuse to use your theater more often!
Why limit yourself to just movies? They can do TV shows as well, you know
Game of Thrones on a big screen is an experience indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
If you are not going to use your home theater much then be all means get a cheap, entry level Benq projector. No use in paying for anything beyond them for a seldom used ht room.

They perform well for their price point (I'd reckon the HT2050 is probably the best bang for buck out of the newer models; with the HT3050 offering a pre-calibration for its premium... Both of these are reasonably quiet fan-wise; which is good for a theater.)
But in a dedicated room (treated walls, etc) you'll be giving up black levels in a big way when compared to the 5030. They're still significantly better than the similarly-priced non-DLP competition: but not a patch on the 5030.

If you've seen DLP recently (or owned in the past? What was in your last theater?) and are OK with their blacks, then by all means.

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:

It is funny how we all see things differently, but I noticed at my local Best Buy that the Sony signal was from a 1080p blu-ray and the Epson had a 720p music video signal. Once the Epson was fed a 1080p source it was very close to the Sony with the Sony being a little quieter and sharper, but not (at the time) $500 worth of quieter/sharper. Graph from projectiondream.com of the euro version of the 5030.

Starts higher and I guess the contrast drop would be more noticeable than the BenQ HT3050 which starts low but maintains well as the light portion of the image increases.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
If this is your first projector and you liked the picture quality of the 141X than go with the HT2050. The HT2050 will be slightly better PQ and slightly easier to setup. But don't think the minimal lens shift (about 4" for 100" screen) of the HT2050 is going to save the day if 141X was that far off.

I compared the HT2050 to the Epson HC3500 side by side for weeks and although I loved the features of the HT2050 (DLP image snap, smart eco mode, form factor, remote) I had to send her back. The HC3500 always gave a better image and has the extra horsepower for less than ideal situations.

In the end it came down to shadow detail (what you can see in very dark scenes) it has been my experience that LCD does better with dark scenes than DLP. Many times the black level is better on DLP but the details are lost. With LCD all of the image is there.

Squaring up an image is easy if you work within the confines of the projector. The lens needs to be center to the screen and the projector must be at the predetermined height of the offset. If you can't do that than the decision is easy, you need the Epson.

Last edited by impulse; 01-19-2016 at 06:29 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
Quote:
If this is your first projector and you liked the picture quality of the 141X than go with the HT2050. The HT2050 will be slightly better PQ and slightly easier to setup. But don't think the minimal lens shift (about 4" for 100" screen) of the HT2050 is going to save the day if 141X was that far off.

I compared the HT2050 to the Epson HC3500 side by side for weeks and although I loved the features of the HT2050 (DLP image snap, smart eco mode, form factor, remote) I had to send her back. The HC3500 always gave a better image and has the extra horsepower for less than ideal situations.

In the end it came down to shadow detail (what you can see in very dark scenes) it has been my experience that LCD does better with dark scenes than DLP. Many times the black level is better on DLP but the details are lost. With LCD all of the image is there.

Squaring up an image is easy if you work within the confines of the projector. The lens needs to be center to the screen and the projector must be at the predetermined height of the offset. If you can't do that than the decision is easy, you need the Epson.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on Epson 3500. Figured save a few bucks instead of the 5030 and still gives me some lense shift. And since I read this is a bright projector might use it more during the day for sports and some gaming instead of just night movies .
post #15 of 15 Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Received 3500 today. All I can say is set up was so much easier than HDX141x . I never really could get the Optoma aligned on my screen. With the 3500 it took maybe 15 minutes to align image on my screen. Yes this is a very bright projector , but for me ease of set and use are worth at this time. Hard to tell if like LCD PQ over DLP. Looks like LCD maintains a more natural look while DLP looks very sharp in action. It's a wash for me I think . Some advantages and disadvantages to both. But the 3500 was worth it so far . Thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page