SONY MPCL1 Projector Charging Issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2016, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SONY MPCL1 Projector Charging Issues

Hey there-

I have the new Sony (MPCL1) pico projector and an issue:

Even with a full charge AND being plugged in to continue charging, the projector will lose power and die while watching a longer (2.5 hrs +) movie. Why?

It should stay on forever even with no charge when plugged in, right? I have tried contacting Sony to no avail. I have tried multiple power sources- wall, USB, etc. and they ARE working and the charging light IS on, but still the above happens

SIDE NOTE: Any recommendations on what kind of paint to use to make a DIY screen for this on the ceiling? My current one makes the picture looks strange- whites look like they are composed of tiny pinpricks of various colors. While projecting on my normal screen this doesn't happen.

THANKS
Brandon Eberhart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2016, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
Hey there-

I have the new Sony (MPCL1) pico projector and an issue:

Even with a full charge AND being plugged in to continue charging, the projector will lose power and die while watching a longer (2.5 hrs +) movie. Why?

It should stay on forever even with no charge when plugged in, right? I have tried contacting Sony to no avail. I have tried multiple power sources- wall, USB, etc. and they ARE working and the charging light IS on, but still the above happens

SIDE NOTE: Any recommendations on what kind of paint to use to make a DIY screen for this on the ceiling? My current one makes the picture looks strange- whites look like they are composed of tiny pinpricks of various colors. While projecting on my normal screen this doesn't happen.

THANKS
It sounds like your Sony is defective. While it WON'T play forever plugged-in (it drains slightly faster than it charges) it should last practically all day plugged in and charged.
I'd normally guess it might not be charging because of overheating protection, but that hasn't been an issue for mine even though I leave the room warm and my tripod mostly blocks the main heat-port at the Sony's bottom.

Even with only 10-20minutes of battery-life, if I plug it in it'll play for a couple hours, so it definitely sounds like yours either is totally refusing to charge while playing (which is NOT normal) OR it isn't anywhere near fully charged to start with (which may be a mistake since its lighting signal for charging and fully-charged isn't all that intuitive).

I'd suggest turning it off and plugging it in to charge using a 1.0amp-3.0amp phone charger for 3hours.
Then, turn it on and still have it plugged in wherever it's handy and see if it still dies in 2-3hours.
It should last closer to 8+hours fully charged and still plugged in while playing...I can embarrassingly attest to this after a completely free day of Netflix bingeing. :/
Ohhh the terrible sacrifices that must be made for testing.

I found it really like bright flat-white or flat LightBase for a screen. The more directional gain (less flat/matte) tends to bring out the weirder aspects of its laser-y goodness.
The only metallic/gain screen it played decently well with so far for me was still white and used metallic/mica (RalphLauren or DisneyGlidden tintable metallic) mixed with a little flat-LightBase. The mix added some gain, but the plain flat-LightBase is perfect and super easy to paint and costs a whopping $10/gallon.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is online now  
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
It sounds like your Sony is defective. While it WON'T play forever plugged-in (it drains slightly faster than it charges) it should last practically all day plugged in and charged.
I'd normally guess it might not be charging because of overheating protection, but that hasn't been an issue for mine even though I leave the room warm and my tripod mostly blocks the main heat-port at the Sony's bottom.

Even with only 10-20minutes of battery-life, if I plug it in it'll play for a couple hours, so it definitely sounds like yours either is totally refusing to charge while playing (which is NOT normal) OR it isn't anywhere near fully charged to start with (which may be a mistake since its lighting signal for charging and fully-charged isn't all that intuitive).

I'd suggest turning it off and plugging it in to charge using a 1.0amp-3.0amp phone charger for 3hours.
Then, turn it on and still have it plugged in wherever it's handy and see if it still dies in 2-3hours.
It should last closer to 8+hours fully charged and still plugged in while playing...I can embarrassingly attest to this after a completely free day of Netflix bingeing. :/
Ohhh the terrible sacrifices that must be made for testing.

I found it really like bright flat-white or flat LightBase for a screen. The more directional gain (less flat/matte) tends to bring out the weirder aspects of its laser-y goodness.
The only metallic/gain screen it played decently well with so far for me was still white and used metallic/mica (RalphLauren or DisneyGlidden tintable metallic) mixed with a little flat-LightBase. The mix added some gain, but the plain flat-LightBase is perfect and super easy to paint and costs a whopping $10/gallon.
Hey, thanks alot-

One thing that may be causing it is that my wall charger is only .5 amps- so i just ordered a new 2 amp one, we'll see. I was also charging from USB on my laptop and having the same issue, but it's a tiny, chromebook type of thing, so who knows?

As for paint, have you tried the ones you suggested yourself then? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "LightBase" - it's just a general term? Not a brand?

Could you please link me to the type of paint you refer to in a common brand like Glidden or Sherman Williams? Thanks very much-
Brandon Eberhart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
Hey, thanks alot-

One thing that may be causing it is that my wall charger is only .5 amps- so i just ordered a new 2 amp one, we'll see. I was also charging from USB on my laptop and having the same issue, but it's a tiny, chromebook type of thing, so who knows?

As for paint, have you tried the ones you suggested yourself then? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "LightBase" - it's just a general term? Not a brand?

Could you please link me to the type of paint you refer to in a common brand like Glidden or Sherman Williams? Thanks very much-
I'm not sure offhand if the Sony will actually draw more than the normal 0.25-0.5amps or whatever a standard PC USB provides, but it'll hopefully work much faster/longer with your new 2amp.

LightBase is a general term that's often written right on the can of paint.
I personally have been using:
-"ColorPlace brand (from Walmart), flat, interior, Light-Base."
A gallon is about $10 and it can also be tinted different light colors or greys or left alone as a clean bright white.
I ask the for the gallon of LightBase to have:
-"4 ounces of white pigment added (or 4Y of KX pigment added)"
which helps make sure it's as bright and neutral-white as possible without messing with it.

This leaves you with a bright white paint that doesn't mess with your colors, and it's great at hiding imperfections in both the surface and paintjob, and the price is hard to beat...and you'll have extra leftover if you need to fix a scratch or persistent dirty-spot.

If you prefer not to shop at Walmart, most places that sell paint should have an inexpensive interior flat tintable LightBase which can also have 4ounces of white-pigment added to a gallon can (or 1ounce added to a quart can).

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is online now  
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2016, 11:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[Hi Brandon, was you able to solve the problem? mine is having exactly the same issue

thanks
Matías
MatPT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
pixels , projector , screen , Sony

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off