Suggestions on cleaning proj LCD panel? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-29-2016, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Suggestions on cleaning proj LCD panel?

I'm looking for anyone with experience servicing the epson powerlite 1080. I've had some overheating issues so I've opened mine for a cleaning and to check the fans and thermistor functionality. In the process it appears I may have touched one of the LCDs! I don't have any idea how to fix this and would like to know if anyone has suggestions.

It looks like the panels are protected by a sheet of glass which would be nice if that's true. The SM doesn't talk about the panels at all so I'm not clear what Compressed air isn't getting the dust off so I'm thinking about lightly using a microfiber cloth to grab what's stuck on there unless there are better suggestions.

The center LCD (green?) looks kind of strange compared to the other two. I've attached pictures in case anyone can tell me there's something odd there.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324_sm.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	1217858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326_sm.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	1217866  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I'm looking for anyone with experience servicing the epson powerlite 1080. I've had some overheating issues so I've opened mine for a cleaning and to check the fans and thermistor functionality. In the process it appears I may have touched one of the LCDs! I don't have any idea how to fix this and would like to know if anyone has suggestions.

It looks like the panels are protected by a sheet of glass which would be nice if that's true. The SM doesn't talk about the panels at all so I'm not clear what Compressed air isn't getting the dust off so I'm thinking about lightly using a microfiber cloth to grab what's stuck on there unless there are better suggestions.

The center LCD (green?) looks kind of strange compared to the other two. I've attached pictures in case anyone can tell me there's something odd there.

Thanks.
Well it looks to me like you have pictures of polorizer filters not the LCD. That looks like a failed polorizer. The LCDs are small and mounted in a prism right in front of the lens area.
The polarizers split the white light into Red Green and Blue sending each color of light to the respective LCD in the prism.

It has been years since i was in side a LCD projector so I could be wrong..

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

Thanks.
Wait a second.... are these things pictured light filters or diffussers? It looks like the LCDs are mounted to the other part of the light engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Well it looks to me like you have pictures of polorizer filters not the LCD. That looks like a failed polorizer. The LCDs are small and mounted in a prism right in front of the lens area.
The polarizers split the white light into Red Green and Blue sending each color of light to the respective LCD in the prism.

It has been years since i was in side a LCD projector so I could be wrong..
Sorry I missed your post and basically discovered exactly what you said.

Polarizers appear to be doing the job, R, G and B visible, LCDs are kicking out an image so picture is good.
Still trying to get the root problem fixed, and decided the polarizing glass and paired LCDs could be cleaned with care using air and micro fiber cloth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page