Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2016, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Benq W1070 acting up

Hi guys,

I've been spying on this forum without an account for quite a while now. I guess it was time to register.
Anyway, I've had my Benq W1070 projector for 6 months now and all of a sudden I have a weird problem with it.
After about 10 to 15 minutes of turning the projecter on, during which it gives me perfect images, it will start flickering and drop frames. After about a minute it stops flickering and the colours are all screwed up, getting much darker and especially faces getting a green hue.
It's connected through HDMI. I've tried changing cables, changing colour settings, using different inputs and sources, etc.
When the colours are all screwed up and I put the projector in eco/blank mode, the fans will start spinning very fast, the lamp will go off and the red 'lamp' light comes on.
After letting it cool down for about 15 to 20 minutes I can turn the projector on again and it looks great again, but then ... you know, rinse and repeat.

It may be nothing, but it looks like it takes a bit longer to get all screwed up on a Bluray player than a media topbox.

I've ordered a new lamp, which I will be trying this weekend, but my gut says this may not be the problem.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. But your description sounds like the color wheel is having problems syncing.

Could be the motor is laboring to achieve the correct speed as it warms up. This would look much like what you are describing.

No answers but to send in for repair or if so inclined get new color wheel and replace it; not for faint of heart, though.

Good Luck!

After re-reading could also be a power supply problem. Since it's only six months old warranty should cover it's repair as Muzz said below

Rew
Vizio PX75-G1 | Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4500H | OPPO UDP-203 | Tivo Bolt+| Nvidia Shield Android TV | Roku Ultra | Apple TV 4k | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS8 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 | Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER

Last edited by Rew452; 02-04-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Purchased this 6 months ago?
Shouldn't it still be under warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2016, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oh yeah, it's under warranty and I will be sending it back to BenQ.
I'm actually pretty pissed this happens after only 6 months. They say the repair will be a maximum of two weeks and they better not take much longer than that.

Anyway, I was really afraid it was the colour wheel. I ordered a spare lamp to try and replace it, but everything is pointing toward the colour wheel. Again, how can that break within only 6 months?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Maybe you got a Friday afternoon build...I always worry about getting one of those!
My buddy was a Corvette freak, always got a new 1 every few years, and never had issues....until he got a lemon (about his 5th Vette), after a few tries at fixing it, he got a refund and got a new one....and then about 4 or 5 more since without issue.
Sometimes stuff breaks.

GL on the repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq w1070 , flickering , green

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page