Small Dedicated Theater Room Projected advice needed. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Small Dedicated Theater Room Projected advice needed.

I'm currently in the process of turning the bedroom in my basement into a dedicated theater room and I think I'm at the point where I need to make a decision on a projector. I have an electrician who is going to do my electrical work and I need to determine where the outlet for the projector needs to go. So I figure I need to make a decision and buy the projector I want then play around with where it should be mounted.

I do have some obstacles to deal with, those being:
  • Max Distance Lens to screen of about 13'2" depending on the physical size of the projector.
  • 7 1/2' Ceiling with a HVAC soffit running through the middle of the room which drops 10.5"
  • The edge of the bathroom door in the rear of the room is right on the center line of the room.

As you can see from the Sketchup image below my room is not huge. The Projector mounted in the picture is just a place holder for now as I have not yet determined the exact mounting location of the projector but as you can see I will have about 12' to 13' from lens to screen. This weekend I borrowed a projector from the office (Epson EX7230) just to get an idea of what size screen would work for me. Even though with this projector I could fill almost the entire wall with the projector at 13' and 15" from the ceiling, an image size somewhere in the range of 115" to 120" looked pretty good.

Since I have a small room I started with looking at the short throw projectors in the BenQ line up thinking these were my only option but according to the calculator on projector central I can get an Image size of up to 128" with a Panasonic AE8000 at 12'6". So i then started reading the reviews and specs on the AE8000, Epson 5030UB and Sony HW40ES, all of which look like they would give me the image size I want with my limited range.

Since these projectors all have Vertical and Horizontal lens shift I am assuming this will allow me to mount the projector slightly off center and still produce the correct image on the screen. This would help with the bathroom door at the rear of the room if could mount it about 6"- 8" to the left. Would the vertical lens shift help me at all with the center soffit allowing me to mount the projector higher?

I've read reviews on all three of projectors but being that my primary use of this room will be for movies, both 16:9 and 2:39 so I like the idea of having the zoom settings on the AE8000. Is there any reason I should go with one of these projectors over the other or steer clear of any particular one. Or is my room just too small for any of these and I should stick with something like the BenQ? My price range for a projector is up to $2000 or so. I forgot to mention that this room will be completely light controlled, the only window is behind the screen and will be covered up.

Thanks!

Last edited by Newt1822; 02-08-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Great I misspelled Projector in thread title. LOL.

Is there anyway to edit the title of the thread?
post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
@10 feet you start to enter the zone where the screen door effect from the Epson may come into play. Some will say they can see it at that distance and others will say they can't. So this should play into your decision or be aware of in the very least.

I haven't seen the Panny in person but from what I have read, it's the dimmest of the 3 in best mode but it's pixel structure is better than the Epson so the Screen Door Effect is not really an issue with it. I'm not sure how loud a unit the Panny is either but the Epson is loud. The Sony I like because of the pixel structure (no SDE), its relative quietness, and it's overall brightness in best mode and it's excellent shadow detail. I also like it because it's LcoS.

The Epson will have the best blacks of the group with the Panny and the Sony being very similar but not as good as the Epson.

The BenQ's are a louder unit as well and you may experience rainbows. They're also the worst of the group you listed when it comes to blacks...more of a grey haze over dark scenes but they are very bright and have that DLP look which is very pleasing. I love the DLP look. It's hard to explain why I like it...I just do. I just don't like all the negatives that come with one of these types of projectors.

Good luck...oh, and go as big as practicable for your room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I too am in a very tight bedroom setup like you are in. Same ceiling height and about 8 1/2 feet wide by my bed but widens to about 11 feet my bedroom door where the screen is. Throw is about 12 feet from th lense. I started with an Epson 8350 and as a first projector I over it, but the Sony 40ES I upgraded too last year blows it away. I did notic a slight screen door effect with my Epson but nothing with the Sony. Love the colours it produces out of the box compare to the fine adjustments I kept trying to do with my old system. Plus it's bright as hell, even in Eco mode. Here are some pics I just took of my setup. I'm not centred on screen, on an old tube tv swivel arm and had to deal with ceiling fan that drops almost a foot and a half down. Still looks good on my 106" and could go bigger if I had just a bit more room in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1239137  

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Oppo-203 (Region Free) Sony 55X900F 4K/Dolby Vision , Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
post #5 of 11 Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invadergir View Post
I too am in a very tight bedroom setup like you are in. Same ceiling height and about 8 1/2 feet wide by my bed but widens to about 11 feet my bedroom door where the screen is. Throw is about 12 feet from th lense. I started with an Epson 8350 and as a first projector I over it, but the Sony 40ES I upgraded too last year blows it away. I did notic a slight screen door effect with my Epson but nothing with the Sony. Love the colours it produces out of the box compare to the fine adjustments I kept trying to do with my old system. Plus it's bright as hell, even in Eco mode. Here are some pics I just took of my setup. I'm not centred on screen, on an old tube tv swivel arm and had to deal with ceiling fan that drops almost a foot and a half down. Still looks good on my 106" and could go bigger if I had just a bit more room in the front.
Since you are not centered on the screen, are you using the Horizontal Lens shift to center the picture? How far off center are you?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt1822 View Post
Since you are not centered on the screen, are you using the Horizontal Lens shift to center the picture? How far off center are you?
Using both the horizontal and vertical shift. My screen is more on the left side of my room and the projector (as seen above) in the back right. I would say i'm probably a good foot or 2 off centre from the screen. The shelf isn't the straightest of shelves and a bit smallish, and has been troublesome to get the perfectly squared image to screen. I'm not maxed out to the left shift but close to it i believe. Tried to get a 2nd pic in my first post but the iPad is being finicky. So here is my other pic of the screen and fan in the middle of my room is just missing from the pic. Projector sits about a good 1-2 feet from the ceiling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1240225  

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Oppo-203 (Region Free) Sony 55X900F 4K/Dolby Vision , Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X

Last edited by invadergir; 02-08-2016 at 11:14 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that helps a lot, now I know I can move the projector out of the way of the door and still get the image on center.

I think i'm down to deciding between the Sony and the Panasonic, from what I've read it sounds like the Sony has the best picture of the 3 but i'm still stuck on the Memory zoom settings on the Panasonic. That and the price of the Panasonic along with the free replacement bulb makes it the best value of the three.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think you'd love either. The Panny is ~600 lumens (high lamp) in its best mode but you can bump it up to brighter modes but you will lose a little colour accuracy and overall balance but should still look really good. 600 lumens on a 120" screen in a dark room will look really good....using a brighter mode for ambient light and you're good to go (the HW40 is ~1500 lumens in best mode on high lamp and it's still ~900 lumens on low lamp).

If you can grab the 8000 on a good deal then it should be a no brainer. Don't get me wrong...I love my HW40 and pound for pound it's probably the best all around projector out there right now for all that it does well but the deal on the Panny is hard to beat and it will still be an awesome projector.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
I think you'd love either. The Panny is ~600 lumens (high lamp) in its best mode but you can bump it up to brighter modes but you will lose a little colour accuracy and overall balance but should still look really good. 600 lumens on a 120" screen in a dark room will look really good....using a brighter mode for ambient light and you're good to go (the HW40 is ~1500 lumens in best mode on high lamp and it's still ~900 lumens on low lamp).

If you can grab the 8000 on a good deal then it should be a no brainer. Don't get me wrong...I love my HW40 and pound for pound it's probably the best all around projector out there right now for all that it does well but the deal on the Panny is hard to beat and it will still be an awesome projector.
I plan on going the DIY AT screen route with white over silver material (I believe this is what I read, I have not fully researched this part of the project yet.). Will this help with the brightness of the Panasonic?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

sounds like a spandex screen....I have no knowledge on those but hear they work well. It will definitely be less than a 1.0 Gain...I'd guess ~0.80 or less. No, that won't help with brightness...it will hurt it. This adds a twist to it and I would go with the brighter projector to be safe. But since I don't have first hand knowledge, it's only conjecture on my part. The DIY thread should have some good info of the lumen hit from Spandex.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2016, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I think i'm going to go with the Sony. From all the reviews and comparisons I've read it sounds like the Sony has the best picture and that's what matters most to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page