Epson 3500 or 5025/5030? Please help me decide. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By Nathan Cardinale
  • 1 Post By aerodynamics
  • 4 Post By Crazy4HD
  • 2 Post By Nathan Cardinale
  • 1 Post By Crazy4HD
  • 1 Post By abdrury
  • 1 Post By James of Az

post #1 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Epson 3500 or 5025/5030? Please help me decide.

So for about 45 days or more I have been looking at projectors and reading thread after thread on here. I live in rural Wyoming where running down to your AV store is not an option. Nor is having it "professionally" installed. I mean I don't even know anyone else who even owns a projector LOL.

So I know my room is not an ideal, dedicated theater. During the day, ambient light can be expected. I mentioned painting the walls to my wife and ducked as the frying pan went flying past my head. I had to duck again as the soup pot went flying past my head when I told her how much these things cost. After much quick talking and fair labor trading agreements, she finally gave me the go ahead to get one. I am thinking I need more of a light cannon than something like the Sony or JVC. I hate dull images anyways. Got rid of my 65" Mitsubishi DLP just for that reason.

So that brings me to my dellima. The 3500 is the brightest with the 5030 being next brightest. So my question is this. Is the 600,000:1 contrast ratio worth the extra money for the 5030? Or is the contrast with less light of the 5025 a better solution still having the better contrast but is a little cheaper and not as bright. Or do I save money and put it towards maybe a new Martycube sub and get the 3500? Money is sorta a factor but I can get what I want.

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Depending on how much ambient light is in the room, the diff in contrast levels may go unnoticed....
post #3 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The 5030UB is worth the money. See my reply to a post here showing how great it's able to overcome light. Additionally check my build thread in my sig. I too didn't know anyone with a projector, but the lens shift and quality of the 5030 makes its the easiest setup ever. And I use it on a mobile set up!
Sako7STW likes this.

Last edited by Nathan Cardinale; 03-09-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
The 5030UB is worth the money. See my reply to a post here showing how great it's able to overcome light. Additionally check my build thread in my sig. I too didn't know anyone with a projector, but the lens shift and quality of the 5030 makes its the easiest setup ever. And I use it on a mobile set up!
Hi! I'm considering getting the Epson Home Cinema 5030UB, but I'd like help to confirm I fully enjoy the image with a throw distance of 19'7 and a 100-inch 16:9?
post #5 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Depending on how much ambient light is in the room, the diff in contrast levels may go unnoticed....
At night there will be no ambient light unless I want it. One thing about living in the country. there is no street lights even.

During the day, and stuff yah, there will be some light. However after looking at Nathan Cardinal's posts, I am super impressed with that 5030. Now if I could just find something like that on the 3500!! Daddy wants a new sub LOL!!

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #6 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The farthest throw for a 100" screen with the 3500 is 15'7.
fhutter likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
So for about 45 days or more I have been looking at projectors and reading thread after thread on here. I live in rural Wyoming where running down to your AV store is not an option. Nor is having it "professionally" installed. I mean I don't even know anyone else who even owns a projector LOL.

So I know my room is not an ideal, dedicated theater. During the day, ambient light can be expected. I mentioned painting the walls to my wife and ducked as the frying pan went flying past my head. I had to duck again as the soup pot went flying past my head when I told her how much these things cost. After much quick talking and fair labor trading agreements, she finally gave me the go ahead to get one. I am thinking I need more of a light cannon than something like the Sony or JVC. I hate dull images anyways. Got rid of my 65" Mitsubishi DLP just for that reason.

So that brings me to my dellima. The 3500 is the brightest with the 5030 being next brightest. So my question is this. Is the 600,000:1 contrast ratio worth the extra money for the 5030? Or is the contrast with less light of the 5025 a better solution still having the better contrast but is a little cheaper and not as bright. Or do I save money and put it towards maybe a new Martycube sub and get the 3500? Money is sorta a factor but I can get what I want.
I have tried both the Epson 3500 and 5025 in my space which is NOT a dedicated home theater. I'm able to eliminate all sources of ambient light, but I have light colored walls, a white ceiling and light carpeting.

What I found is that the contrast improvement from the 5025 was not really realized in my space. The 5025 can definitely go darker than the 3500, but projected light bouncing off the walls/ceiling/carpet means the picture can still get a little washed out during the darker scenes, essentially negating any contrast advantage.

As you have probably read, the biggest improvement in picture quality really comes from treating the room with dark non-reflective surfaces which is something most people using a multi-purpose space cannot do. So for the most part, there isn't a significant jump in picture quality between the 3500 and 5025/5030. For some people however, any small improvement is enough, Personally, I could not justify the several hundreds of dollars more for the 5025 and went with the 3500.

From what you have described, it sounds like light output might be a bigger issue for you. But there again, there really won't be a big difference between the 3500 and 5025/5030. They can all get pretty bright (almost blinding even in a completely dark room) so going with either should not be a problem in this respect.

So IMHO, I'd actually save a little money (since you said this was important) and go with the 3500 (or the 3000 if you want to save even more). You'll actually probably be happy with any of these projectors, but if you want to avoid getting hit in the head with any more cooking utensils, get your feet wet first with a lower cost option . Once you and the wife get hooked, upgrading will probably be inevitable!

Best of luck with your decision!
Sako7STW, ikecomp, Shift and 1 others like this.

post #8 of 24 Old 03-09-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
At night there will be no ambient light unless I want it. One thing about living in the country. there is no street lights even.

During the day, and stuff yah, there will be some light. However after looking at Nathan Cardinal's posts, I am super impressed with that 5030. Now if I could just find something like that on the 3500!! Daddy wants a new sub LOL!!
Lucky you lol. I took those images simply because I was shocked at the brightness levels of a screen that large. The fact I had 2 hue bulbs on full blast, plus 2 hue flood lights on full blast pointed at the screen, plus another 2 hue floods pointed in the kitchen area, and to it off, the blinds open, was mind blowing. It wasn't until yesterday when I started posting them did I realize there are not many images of screens with full lighting directed on them and the projector just blowing past them (for the 5030ub class of projectors). Id throw the cash in on the 5030 and patiently wait for the funds to return for a new sub! Im in a similar boat right now lol! Also, the 5030 has a rebate right now for a free extra bulb, so you have a $300 free OEM bulb waiting to be used!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhutter View Post
Hi! I'm considering getting the Epson Home Cinema 5030UB, but I'd like help to confirm I fully enjoy the image with a throw distance of 19'7 and a 100-inch 16:9?
That really depends on a lot of things. A great tool to help you can be found here. Your room configuration and needs will determine if you are will be happy with the set up. If you are in a light controlled room, it should be to much of an issue. If you are trying to light up a screen in a bright area, similar to what I did in those images, you may find it challenging to do so and maintain image quality. Btw, is 19'7 counting the ~18" the length of the projector?

I wish I had a meter, but from the calculator posted above, and adjusting the numbers to compensate for various things, I believe the projected image in dynamic mode ball parked in the 75fl range. Thats as bright as what I had my 65" JS9500 professionally calibrated to! For you though, with that large distance to cover, you would likely see around 35fl (it'd be kinda dim). It would work for movies in a dark space (around 19fl) though. Thats all considering a 1.1 gain screen at 100" and 19'7 feet away. If you moved up to say a 1.4 gain screen, you'd be over 50fl, well enough set for viewing in most living rooms. Personally, Id try and mount the projector closer, like 12-15ft if possible. Not only would you not have to get a higher gain screen, but mid range zoom could be used. Heck, I'd bring the screen size to 120" if you could do that!
Sako7STW and fhutter like this.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-10-2016, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You may want to factor in light rejecting screen also. That may help you decide.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4HD View Post
I have tried both the Epson 3500 and 5025 in my space which is NOT a dedicated home theater. I'm able to eliminate all sources of ambient light, but I have light colored walls, a white ceiling and light carpeting.

What I found is that the contrast improvement from the 5025 was not really realized in my space. The 5025 can definitely go darker than the 3500, but projected light bouncing off the walls/ceiling/carpet means the picture can still get a little washed out during the darker scenes, essentially negating any contrast advantage.

As you have probably read, the biggest improvement in picture quality really comes from treating the room with dark non-reflective surfaces which is something most people using a multi-purpose space cannot do. So for the most part, there isn't a significant jump in picture quality between the 3500 and 5025/5030. For some people however, any small improvement is enough, Personally, I could not justify the several hundreds of dollars more for the 5025 and went with the 3500.

From what you have described, it sounds like light output might be a bigger issue for you. But there again, there really won't be a big difference between the 3500 and 5025/5030. They can all get pretty bright (almost blinding even in a completely dark room) so going with either should not be a problem in this respect.

So IMHO, I'd actually save a little money (since you said this was important) and go with the 3500 (or the 3000 if you want to save even more). You'll actually probably be happy with any of these projectors, but if you want to avoid getting hit in the head with any more cooking utensils, get your feet wet first with a lower cost option . Once you and the wife get hooked, upgrading will probably be inevitable!

Best of luck with your decision!
Thanks for your post and the OP for creating this thread. I'm actually in a similar boat although I have a little more control over the colors of the wall (The setup will be in a bonus room 17 ft by 13 ft).

My plan is to paint the screen wall black and the surrounding walls a darker gray (when we sell the home I'll just paint the screen wall dark grey to match the rest of the walls).

My ceiling is white and the carpet is light colored. I would prefer not to modify those items as it's a little more labor intensive to restore them back when I'm done. I guess I could attach some black velvet to the ceiling and carpet 5 ft out from the screen to absorb additional light but that would be the best I could do.

In my scenario would I benefit with going with the 5025/5030 over the 3500/3000?
post #11 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Lucky you lol. I took those images simply because I was shocked at the brightness levels of a screen that large. The fact I had 2 hue bulbs on full blast, plus 2 hue flood lights on full blast pointed at the screen, plus another 2 hue floods pointed in the kitchen area, and to it off, the blinds open, was mind blowing. It wasn't until yesterday when I started posting them did I realize there are not many images of screens with full lighting directed on them and the projector just blowing past them (for the 5030ub class of projectors). Id throw the cash in on the 5030 and patiently wait for the funds to return for a new sub! Im in a similar boat right now lol! Also, the 5030 has a rebate right now for a free extra bulb, so you have a $300 free OEM bulb waiting to be used!

That really depends on a lot of things. A great tool to help you can be found here. Your room configuration and needs will determine if you are will be happy with the set up. If you are in a light controlled room, it should be to much of an issue. If you are trying to light up a screen in a bright area, similar to what I did in those images, you may find it challenging to do so and maintain image quality. Btw, is 19'7 counting the ~18" the length of the projector?

I wish I had a meter, but from the calculator posted above, and adjusting the numbers to compensate for various things, I believe the projected image in dynamic mode ball parked in the 75fl range. Thats as bright as what I had my 65" JS9500 professionally calibrated to! For you though, with that large distance to cover, you would likely see around 35fl (it'd be kinda dim). It would work for movies in a dark space (around 19fl) though. Thats all considering a 1.1 gain screen at 100" and 19'7 feet away. If you moved up to say a 1.4 gain screen, you'd be over 50fl, well enough set for viewing in most living rooms. Personally, Id try and mount the projector closer, like 12-15ft if possible. Not only would you not have to get a higher gain screen, but mid range zoom could be used. Heck, I'd bring the screen size to 120" if you could do that!
what's the "fl" you mention?
post #12 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 01:07 PM

also, how shall I calculate the max height for the projector if placed on the ceiling? My ceiling is 11' high and I could get a mount that would lower it down to 9'
post #13 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 01:22 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
Thanks for your post and the OP for creating this thread. I'm actually in a similar boat although I have a little more control over the colors of the wall (The setup will be in a bonus room 17 ft by 13 ft).

My plan is to paint the screen wall black and the surrounding walls a darker gray (when we sell the home I'll just paint the screen wall dark grey to match the rest of the walls).

My ceiling is white and the carpet is light colored. I would prefer not to modify those items as it's a little more labor intensive to restore them back when I'm done. I guess I could attach some black velvet to the ceiling and carpet 5 ft out from the screen to absorb additional light but that would be the best I could do.

In my scenario would I benefit with going with the 5025/5030 over the 3500/3000?
Painting your walls darker (especially the screen wall) will certainly help with improving the (perceived) contrast of image. If your ceiling is low (8ft or less), then definitely try covering up as much of it near the screen as you can with black velvet to prevent any reflections for that surface. That, and maybe throwing a dark rug (or more of that black velvet!) over the carpeting in front of the screen will probably yield the biggest improvement. At that point, the 5025/5030 would likely be a worthy upgrade.

I'm assuming you'll be mostly watching movies with the projector? If so, then I'd definitely go with the 5025/5030, especially if you can find them for under $2K.
ikecomp likes this.

post #14 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
what's the "fl" you mention?
fl means foot-lamberts, a measurement of luminance per area. To put it in perspective, most movie theaters are playing at 14-fl when watching 2D. 3D movies are in the low 4-fl range, hence their usual dullness. I just looked it up, in 3D Dynamic mode, on a 100" screen from 10ft away, the 5030UB can throw out a 3D image as bright as 16fl! Thats insane!

Quote:
also, how shall I calculate the max height for the projector if placed on the ceiling? My ceiling is 11' high and I could get a mount that would lower it down to 9'
Google epson projector throw calculator, use that tool. That said, you won't have an issue with anything you do, the lens shift literally moves the image anywhere you need it on this thing.

Side note, if you don't want to have increased fan noise, youll be better off putting the projector high on a shelf in the back of the room/from the ceiling. 3D increases the fan regardless, but it will quite it down (and be easier to do things like change the bulb), if you get a shelf for it.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4HD View Post
Painting your walls darker (especially the screen wall) will certainly help with improving the (perceived) contrast of image. If your ceiling is low (8ft or less), then definitely try covering up as much of it near the screen as you can with black velvet to prevent any reflections for that surface. That, and maybe throwing a dark rug (or more of that black velvet!) over the carpeting in front of the screen will probably yield the biggest improvement. At that point, the 5025/5030 would likely be a worthy upgrade.

I'm assuming you'll be mostly watching movies with the projector? If so, then I'd definitely go with the 5025/5030, especially if you can find them for under $2K.
Yeah, I'll mostly be watching movies and doing a little gaming with some TV thrown in. Visual Apex has some refurbished 5025's in stock for the same price as a brand new 3500 so that's why I'm having a hard time deciding. At any rate, thanks for your input.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got the 5025 refurb deal from VA. Turned it on for testing. Put the image on our kitchen wall, and turned on the 6-light chandelier that was hanging about 3' in front of the image. Could see image great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sako7STW likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-12-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

3500 is a great projector very bright
Here's mine.
The wireless version 3600e

Dark grey surrounding walls.
White ceiling no issues.
Shiny wood floors
No need to velvet anything
No wash out.

DIY painted screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457839490598.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1310865   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457839522317.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1310873   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457839568372.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1310881   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457839582052.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1310889  
Shift likes this.

Last edited by James of Az; 03-12-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Wrong pj
post #18 of 24 Old 03-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think that James is steering you in the right direction. Based on how you've described your room, screen selection is going to make a much bigger difference than your choice of projector. Although it would ultimately depend on your room layout, because you mentioned that the wife put the ax to any notion of painting the walls to achieve better light control, I think it's safe to assume you'll have a not-insignificant amount of light being reflected back off the walls, ceiling and floor - even during night time viewing - and that will negate most of the contrast and black level advantage offered by the 5030UB.

You'll want to find a screen that can combat your ambient light situation. There are a number of darker DIY screen paints with moderate light rejecting properties that will help you maintain better black levels and contrast, including a couple of mixtures that James of Az has experimented with himself.

I suspect that both of these projectors will work great for you with an appropriate screen, though the extra brightness from the 3500 won't hurt if you go with a darker painted screen. And at the end of the day, I think the 3500 + martycube will be a much more meaningful upgrade than the 5030UB alone.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Check lens shift on these two. I would've gotten 3500 or even refurb 8345 if not for lesser lens shift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20 of 24 Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 193
THX mode on the 5030 is worth the upgrade. Even watching football with the shades pulled or lights dimmed in my room I could watch in THX.

Take a trip to BB magnolia if they got one on display, go back between natural and THX with some lighting. If you are not impressed by that mode than I would save your money and go with the lesser model.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-15-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:

thanks a lot, so helpful!!! I'm now considering the following:
epson 3500
120' screen
throw distance: between 12 and 16ft
height: I understand the best is to position the projector so it's aligned with the top of the screen. However, is it better to avoid placing the projector too close from the screen to avoid increasing the angle?

About this: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm
> with throw distance=16ft, screen=120in, gain:1.2, the cursor is in the red zone. I'm confused whether it's good or bad, as I see the image brightness increasing when the cursor in the red zone(35fl)
post #22 of 24 Old 03-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
thanks a lot, so helpful!!! I'm now considering the following:
epson 3500
120' screen
throw distance: between 12 and 16ft
height: I understand the best is to position the projector so it's aligned with the top of the screen. However, is it better to avoid placing the projector too close from the screen to avoid increasing the angle?

About this: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm
> with throw distance=16ft, screen=120in, gain:1.2, the cursor is in the red zone. I'm confused whether it's good or bad, as I see the image brightness increasing when the cursor in the red zone(35fl)
Red is good oddly lol. It just means the image is getting brighter. With that set up, you are looking at a little over 21fl in brightness on thx mode. Thats really dang bright lol. If anything, Id see about lowering the screen gain even. Did you include the ~18" the projectors length in your 16ft? If not, you are up to around the same with even a 1.1 gain screen. Awesome enough, you'll be throwing around 40fl in dynamic mode no matter what. Thats really freaking bright and will make 3D insane! Better yet, youll likely not have issues in more lit environments. It won't be the brightest image in the world in those cases, but nothing to complain about. I regularly watch my tv at around 40fl with few issues. If its just like an overhead light on, its perfect imo. That said, I used to watch things at crazy brightness until I had my TV calibrated and now its like Im super sensitive to image brightness.

Not sure about the mounting thing. You do want to try to keep the angles from being too drastic. Though the 5030 does have keystone correction to fix this, its still distorting the image and won't be "pure". Honestly probably won't notice it (I don't), but thats what Ive read. Id try to put it on a shelf if possible. When inverted, the fan kicks into high mode and will be noisier. In your environment, won't really matter likely, but something to consider.

Just remember, where ever you buy it from, make sure they allow returns if bulb use is under so many hours. You can try it out and make sure its perfect before knowing your money is fully invested.
fhutter likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-16-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Red is good oddly lol. It just means the image is getting brighter. With that set up, you are looking at a little over 21fl in brightness on thx mode. Thats really dang bright lol. If anything, Id see about lowering the screen gain even. Did you include the ~18" the projectors length in your 16ft? If not, you are up to around the same with even a 1.1 gain screen. Awesome enough, you'll be throwing around 40fl in dynamic mode no matter what. Thats really freaking bright and will make 3D insane! Better yet, youll likely not have issues in more lit environments. It won't be the brightest image in the world in those cases, but nothing to complain about. I regularly watch my tv at around 40fl with few issues. If its just like an overhead light on, its perfect imo. That said, I used to watch things at crazy brightness until I had my TV calibrated and now its like Im super sensitive to image brightness.

Not sure about the mounting thing. You do want to try to keep the angles from being too drastic. Though the 5030 does have keystone correction to fix this, its still distorting the image and won't be "pure". Honestly probably won't notice it (I don't), but thats what Ive read. Id try to put it on a shelf if possible. When inverted, the fan kicks into high mode and will be noisier. In your environment, won't really matter likely, but something to consider.

Just remember, where ever you buy it from, make sure they allow returns if bulb use is under so many hours. You can try it out and make sure its perfect before knowing your money is fully invested.
amazing help man, I learnt so much :-)
So I need to get a high brightness, but not too high or it would create eye fatigue
I read that 22fl would be the max, is that correct?

I now wonder why I could not place the projector at the very back of my living room(19.7ft).
It would be way easier for me to install, on a shelve as you mention

I used http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm, and I found out that I get up to 20fl at 18.8(which is 19.7ft-the size of the projector)
>Are there other parameters I'm missing? Can placing it too far from from the screen alter the quality that the image have to go through ceiling ambient light?
(I guess the noise would be more noticeable if right above where I seat though)
>Btw, do you know if projectorcentral do their test with eco or another mode?(I found the perf +/- here: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...w-performance/

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1_edited-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1318913  
post #24 of 24 Old 03-16-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
amazing help man, I learnt so much :-)
So I need to get a high brightness, but not too high or it would create eye fatigue
I read that 22fl would be the max, is that correct?

I now wonder why I could not place the projector at the very back of my living room(19.7ft).
It would be way easier for me to install, on a shelve as you mention

I used http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm, and I found out that I get up to 20fl at 18.8(which is 19.7ft-the size of the projector)
>Are there other parameters I'm missing? Can placing it too far from from the screen alter the quality that the image have to go through ceiling ambient light?
(I guess the noise would be more noticeable if right above where I seat though)
>Btw, do you know if projectorcentral do their test with eco or another mode?(I found the perf +/- here: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...w-performance/

Thanks!!!
Np. I know I depend heavily on those that have experience in what ever field I am looking into. My contribution is repaid via reviews and help to others on the forums.

When I gave those other numbers, I totally overlooked you are choosing to go with the 3500 not the 5030. Ran it again and saw that with the 1.2 gain, you would be right around 20fl with the 3500 if placed at the back of the room. From my experience, that may be a tad much. So after a couple hundred hours, you will be in a sweet zone as the bulb ages and gets a little dimmer. But in the beginning, if you are in a complete dark room, the brightness may be a little much.

I would like to get an actual meter, but my setup at 144" should be around 16fl. In my garage, which is almost pitch dark, I have had a few movie scenes that go from dark to bright that have been pretty intense on the eyes. That was more of an extreme example though, other than that, its perfect. 20fl may actually suit your viewing environment better, especially if you will have any sort of lighting to contend with (light ambient strip lights for those snack/bathroom breaks lol).

You will be around 40fl in the dynamic mode, enough for moderately lit room viewing. One cool thing you can try is a light meter. You can either buy one, or just do a "for the hell of it" (accuracy is not really important) and get an app on your phone to try and estimate your ambient light. I downloaded Lux Camera for free on my iPhone for example. It give the brightness in lux. On Projector central (PC) , in the top right it says "max room lighting". On google, convert what ever number from fc to lux. Then you can point your phone around on a (hopefully) white wall, and see ~the different levels of ambient light is acceptable.

To change what mode PC is giving you numbers, on the top left it says "primary use". Hit one of the 3 options to see numbers for brightest, moderate, and lowest (best picture) modes. From what Ive read/ can tell, they actually correlate the numbers with their results, so its pretty accurate.

As for placement, for 120", 18.8' is the max distance away for the 3500, so it'll be close. You may sacrifice some brightness being so far back, but your contrast will be the best. I would make the shelf with a little leeway to scoot the projector forward a couple of inches if needed. Also take a few inches out for the screen itself and you should be fine. You likely won't here the projector at all on movie mode, for 3D, you may though. Im not sure of your living room set up, but its best to not sit up against a wall. If you want to get a surround sound system, youll be pushing the couch forward a couple of feet anyway to get proper sound. At that point, won't have any issues.
fhutter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page