Official BenQ HT3050 Owner/Settings Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #31 of 75 Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
@kreeturez , it's good to have another verification that anyone who "settles" for an HT2050 to save money isn't giving up much from the HT3050. I believe the HT3050's extra weight (.66 lb.) comes mostly from the stereo speakers and amp over the HT2050's mono speaker and amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post
I just hard reset the projector to factory defaults from the service menu ...
Hi, how do you access the service menu? Not having a problem, just curious.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY AT-screen // Sony UHP-H1 // PS3
Sound: Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
post #33 of 75 Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Hi, how do you access the service menu? Not having a problem, just curious.
Go to the last page on the menu(info tab), press up, down, up, down, up, down, OK button in sequential order on the remote. It should open up ~7 little boxes on the top left of the image and you can open those to gain access to more settings. Color wheel timings for example should be in box 1.

Edit: corrected the last button press, which i remembered wrongly. Its OK button instead of menu button.

Last edited by perkele; 10-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 75 Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post
Go to the last page on the menu(info tab), press up, down, up, down, up, down, OK button in sequential order on the remote. It should open up ~7 little boxes on the top left of the image and you can open those to gain access to more settings. Color wheel timings for example should be in box 1.

Edit: corrected the last button press, which i remembered wrongly. Its OK button instead of menu button.
Unfortunately too late, I used the first sequence, got a very brief message on the screen saying "You now have one minute to reach minimum safety distance" and I haven't been home since so don't know what happened.
bb80301 likes this.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Sound: Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
post #35 of 75 Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone! I just got my HT3050 last week on BenQ's monthly refurbished sale and coming from a Dell 1610HD which I loved, I am not BLOWN away by the quality and just realized what I have been missing!

Anyway, I have a small issue. My FireStick is connected to a Denon AVR-x2200 and then to the HT3050. I ran a long cable from the back of the projector to my couch so I could turn down the AVR-X2200 at night and plug in my headphones directly to the projector. I assumed the projector will take the sound from the HDMi and split it to stereo and feed it out of the "autio out". But it is not working and no sound comes out of it. Well without the headphones, no sound comes out of the speakers either, but when I plug in the FireStick without the Denon, then the projector speakers play the movie sound.

So question is, do I need to adjust something in the Denon receiver to allow the audio to continue going out to the projector? Or is it the projector that is not playing the sound?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
post #36 of 75 Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynite View Post
Hello Everyone! I just got my HT3050 last week on BenQ's monthly refurbished sale and coming from a Dell 1610HD which I loved, I am not BLOWN away by the quality and just realized what I have been missing!

Anyway, I have a small issue. My FireStick is connected to a Denon AVR-x2200 and then to the HT3050. I ran a long cable from the back of the projector to my couch so I could turn down the AVR-X2200 at night and plug in my headphones directly to the projector. I assumed the projector will take the sound from the HDMi and split it to stereo and feed it out of the "autio out". But it is not working and no sound comes out of it. Well without the headphones, no sound comes out of the speakers either, but when I plug in the FireStick without the Denon, then the projector speakers play the movie sound.

So question is, do I need to adjust something in the Denon receiver to allow the audio to continue going out to the projector? Or is it the projector that is not playing the sound?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
what i would do is insert the firestick directly into the projector to see if you get the sound. You probably will. I've never used a receiver without speakers so I wouldn't know how to send the video and sound to the same device.
post #37 of 75 Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 PM

HT3050 (W2000) - how hot is "too hot"

This may be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone have actually measured the exhaust temp of their Benq HT3050/W2000, perhaps trying to solve an overheating problem, and know at what temp it will overheat?

Thing is, I have built a hushbox for mine (more like an "anti-dust box", really) and I can't seem keep the temp down. I'm using one of those cheap electronic Roast Thermometers with a prope and separat display, with the prope just outside the exhaust grille in the front corner, and when the PJ was still hanging from the ceiling from a mount I clocked a high of 58 degrees C, which Google tells me equals 136 F.
With the PJ installed inside the box the temp will usually be around 140 F give or take one or two degrees, but in some scenes, usually when the lamp is producing a lot of light (in SmartEco lamp mode), the temp can easily climb to above 147 F. In "Economic" lamp mode the temp is quite steady around 60 C/140 F, but I want the extra light from "SmartEco".

The PJ has yet to shut down due to overheating, but I have no idea how close I am, and I kinda want to feel safe. After all, the point of building the case was to prolong the life of the PJ, not killing the lamp prematurely due to the PJ running hotter than normal conditions. But in your opinion, is it safe as long as the PJ is not shutting down, or am I a little too close to comfort?
I'd be happy to share pics of my box if that would help.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #38 of 75 Old 12-12-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
This may be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone have actually measured the exhaust temp of their Benq HT3050/W2000, perhaps trying to solve an overheating problem, and know at what temp it will overheat?

Thing is, I have built a hushbox for mine (more like an "anti-dust box", really) and I can't seem keep the temp down. I'm using one of those cheap electronic Roast Thermometers with a prope and separat display, with the prope just outside the exhaust grille in the front corner, and when the PJ was still hanging from the ceiling from a mount I clocked a high of 58 degrees C, which Google tells me equals 136 F.
With the PJ installed inside the box the temp will usually be around 140 F give or take one or two degrees, but in some scenes, usually when the lamp is producing a lot of light (in SmartEco lamp mode), the temp can easily climb to above 147 F. In "Economic" lamp mode the temp is quite steady around 60 C/140 F, but I want the extra light from "SmartEco".

The PJ has yet to shut down due to overheating, but I have no idea how close I am, and I kinda want to feel safe. After all, the point of building the case was to prolong the life of the PJ, not killing the lamp prematurely due to the PJ running hotter than normal conditions. But in your opinion, is it safe as long as the PJ is not shutting down, or am I a little too close to comfort?
I'd be happy to share pics of my box if that would help.
If you're not concerned with the projector's fan noise, you should let it get as much air as possible. I don't know how exactly is that box you've made (yes, pics would help), but the projector needs space to pull air inside and to push it outside, and if any hot air gets stuck inside the box, it may be really bad. From the temperature values you're indicating, I guess those extra 7 degrees are just a bit of warm air produced inside the box, but it doesn't sound alarming. I've had mine (Epson TW3500) inside a kind of box, but the whole front was open and there was a hole in the air intake area. It was just to hide it for an exhibition projection. Anyway, it was working for 6hours straight, no problem. There should be a running temperature indication in your manual.

For maintenance purposes, I prefer to open my projectors and clean them once in a while than resorting to those kinds of solutions, which are usually really hard to get right because of DIY technology limitations and lack of know-how.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #39 of 75 Old 12-13-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have that same model, however, I keep mine on a ceiling mount without anything around it. With room temperature between 18ºC and 21ºC all three fans from the device will be on, I don't know what temperature the exhaust is at but with my hand right against the exhaust and it'll feel warm and I can keep it there all day, I'd reckon that the exhaust temperature of my device is under 50ºC. I'll try to measure it tonight for curiosity sake. I use SmartEco mode.
post #40 of 75 Old 12-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaea View Post
I'll try to measure it tonight for curiosity sake.
Thank you, that would be very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
For maintenance purposes, I prefer to open my projectors and clean them once in a while than resorting to those kinds of solutions, which are usually really hard to get right because of DIY technology limitations and lack of know-how.
Unfortunately I have good reasons to put mine in a box: my last PJ, a W1070+, had major problems with dust blobs seeping into the light engine, and after trying to cure the problem for the third time, BenQ gave up and gave us a new machine. Sadly I have read about dust blobs being an issue with this model, too. The other reason, while not a priority, is to lower the noise from the PJ itself as we sit right underneath it.

Anyway, here's a photo and some info:

You should be able to spot the location of the three fans currently installed in the box:
Fan 1 is just inside the intake hole in the top right corner, CFM 56.
Fan 2 is pointed at the PJ's intake and is 126 CFM.
Fan 3 is at the PJ's exhaust fan 2, sucking at 62 CFM.
This is to create positive pressure in order to minimize dust coming into the box. I have tested having just one intake fan (Fan 2), as well as a second exhaust fan (at the exhaust hole in the bottom left corner), however none of these configs made any real difference.
What I haven't tried, is adding another fan at the "Exhaust Fan 1" location. Compared to Exh fan 2, not a lot of air is exhausted from Exh fan 1, but maybe adding a second box fan could take a little load of the main exhaust "box fan"?

(EDIT: forgot to mention that the temp readings were all done watching 3D, since this is when the lamp is running the hottest)

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:

Last edited by kutzon; 12-13-2017 at 08:05 AM.
post #41 of 75 Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You can check the temp in the service menu. Go to information tab, press up, down, up, down, up, down, OK. That should open few boxes up top(im ceiling mounting pj). Box labeled number 2 has temperature readings. For reference my unit reads 280-295 in eco mode, and 295-310 in normal and smart eco mode.
kutzon likes this.
post #42 of 75 Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks perkele, never been into the service menu so that's interesting, but it was also quite worrying. I put on a movie, not even a 3D movie, and not even 10 minutes in I was already seeing readings well above 500.

I popped the hood of the box and could hear how the exhaust fan 2 was running like mad, but within two minutes it slowly revved down and the temp sank to below 400, settling around 375.

So quite obviously, my design isn't working.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #43 of 75 Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 PM

Hmmm ... my topic has been merged with the "HT3050 Owners/Settings" thread. Not sure I agree with that decision, but never mind. Hope this will be helpful to other 3050 owners, regardless.

I realized I had made one major design flaw: I'm using a piece of pantyhose for intake dust filter (old computer trick, look it up!) but made the mistake of using double layer, which is too air restictive. Changing to a single layer definitely helped, internal temp dropped to around 440. Removing the filter completely made the temp drop to below 400 and again the internal fans eased up dramatically. But ditching the dust filter would defeat the purpose of the box!
I tried replacing the pantyhose filter with the mesh filter from my PC case but it's actually more restrictive than the pantyhose.

So I need a better filter. Are AC filters the best in regards to filtration/air flow? Or perhaps something from a vaccum cleaner shop?

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #44 of 75 Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM

@kutzon , I measured my temps with a thermometer capped at 50C and I hit the 50C mark with the lamp in normal mode, I didn't expect that. Ambient temperature was at about 16C ~ 17C. I guess I'm not too far from your measurements.
post #45 of 75 Old 12-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaea View Post
@kutzon , I measured my temps with a thermometer capped at 50C and I hit the 50C mark with the lamp in normal mode, I didn't expect that. Ambient temperature was at about 16C ~ 17C. I guess I'm not too far from your measurements.
Thank you. For how long did you run it?

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #46 of 75 Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 AM

For about 10 minutes before I put the thermometer up there. I don't think this makes a difference but I had it showing a white background during the whole time.
post #47 of 75 Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hello All,
I got the Benq HT3050 and with 50hrs lamp life so far..i see skin burn issue along with rainbow on right hand top corner. When the faces come closer .. is see orange on the facial outlines that are prominent. No other issues. I saw people getting around with it and need help for the same. Right now i am running PIC in user mode with 43 as brightness and contrast. Let me know what other settings i should have to have a good image as well as good life for the projector.
post #48 of 75 Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentum246 View Post
Hello All,

I got the Benq HT3050 and with 50hrs lamp life so far..i see skin burn issue along with rainbow on right hand top corner. When the faces come closer .. is see orange on the facial outlines that are prominent. No other issues. I saw people getting around with it and need help for the same. Right now i am running PIC in user mode with 43 as brightness and contrast. Let me know what other settings i should have to have a good image as well as good life for the projector.

Skin burn issue? Can you post a picture of the issue?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #49 of 75 Old 01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentum246 View Post
... orange on the facial outlines ...
Unlike most other projectors, the HT3050 is calibrated by BenQ to 100% Rec. 709 with D65 whites. Many people who see accurate Rec. 709/D65 for the first time think the image looks too warm or orange colored on things like human skin. That's because most projectors and TVs tend to have blue push that is not accurate by Rec. 709/D65 standards, and that's what most of us are used to seeing. After you view the HT3050 for awhile the colors will look more normal and when you see an image that pushes blue you will think it looks too cold.
argentum246 likes this.
post #50 of 75 Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 AM

When I first got my 3050 I absolutely loved the REC 709 mode, but as "Dave in Green" mentions I did feel it a little too warm, then I tried the ISF Night mode and I haven't looked back since.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #51 of 75 Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
When I first got my 3050 I absolutely loved the REC 709 mode, but as "Dave in Green" mentions I did feel it a little too warm, then I tried the ISF Night mode and I haven't looked back since.
How do you access the ISF Night mode? I don’t have that as an option. Is there a menu to activate ISF profiles?

Thanks
post #52 of 75 Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablovi View Post
How do you access the ISF Night mode? I don’t have that as an option. Is there a menu to activate ISF profiles?
You need to go to the menu that has "ISF" at the very bottom, can't remember which one it is, but once there, select it and you are prompted for the access code. Now, with your cursor buttons press:

UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT

and you're in the ISF menu. Whatever you do DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT mess with the parameters in the "CCA" settings unless you know what you're doing and if you have to ask you do not.
Have to add that since I wrote the words you quote me for I've been doing some back & forth testing, comparing REC709 and ISF Night, and for some movies I definitely prefer 709 over the other.
pablovi likes this.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #53 of 75 Old 03-20-2018, 08:50 PM

Liked: 13
3050 with a darbee

I just ordered a DarbeeVision from B&H today.I have a 2 month old Benq 3050 running on a 144" painted screen viewing about 15' from the screen.I really like what I am seeing right now on good high def satellite content as well as Netflix and BluRay.I don't want to get too excited about the Darbee effect but is there anyone out there with a similar setup using one and what should I expect?
post #54 of 75 Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
You need to go to the menu that has "ISF" at the very bottom, can't remember which one it is, but once there, select it and you are prompted for the access code. Now, with your cursor buttons press:

UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT

and you're in the ISF menu. Whatever you do DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT mess with the parameters in the "CCA" settings unless you know what you're doing and if you have to ask you do not.
Have to add that since I wrote the words you quote me for I've been doing some back & forth testing, comparing REC709 and ISF Night, and for some movies I definitely prefer 709 over the other.
I'm in the same, I toggle between both mode during the movies, few I do like in ISF night mode a little more, however, most of movies are watched in REC709.
pablovi likes this.
post #55 of 75 Old 03-21-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruins2 View Post
I just ordered a DarbeeVision from B&H today ... I really like what I am seeing right now ... I don't want to get too excited about the Darbee effect ... what should I expect?
Wonder if I'm the only one going: Why did you buy it???

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
post #56 of 75 Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
I've the Darbee for about 5 years , so it's a mandatory option in my case. I found it is one of the cheapest video processors that is effective for the money. I do have the HT3050, as well as a slew of other projectors during this time period, including the Sony VW series and various BenQ models, w1070, ht1075 and ht2050.

My primary is a JVC RS45 for sci-fi and dark movies. The ht3050 is for TV fares, sports and surfing. The BenQ is a great product for the money, IMO.
post #57 of 75 Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Because I have read good things about it but not from someone with the same projector as mine.A great picture can always be better.
post #58 of 75 Old 03-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
I've the Darbee for about 5 years , so it's a mandatory option in my case. I found it is one of the cheapest video processors that is effective for the money. I do have the HT3050, as well as a slew of other projectors during this time period, including the Sony VW series and various BenQ models, w1070, ht1075 and ht2050.

My primary is a JVC RS45 for sci-fi and dark movies. The ht3050 is for TV fares, sports and surfing. The BenQ is a great product for the money, IMO.

Do you have the Darbee running into the 3050 and if so what did you notice?
post #59 of 75 Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruins2 View Post
Do you have the Darbee running into the 3050 and if so what did you notice?
I split the Darbee into the JVC and BenQ, never thought of removing and plugging it back in to check. It's a mandatory option. However, based on my original observation when I had just one projector, the Darbee improves the JVC (or Sony, too many projectors had come and go; it is a disease) by a slight margin in terms of sharpness, details and contrast. DW could not tell the difference.

It's for anal retentive people like me.

BTW, I did see a little bit of RBE on this latest BenQ iteration but it's much better than the older and slower w1070.
post #60 of 75 Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
I split the Darbee into the JVC and BenQ, never thought of removing and plugging it back in to check. It's a mandatory option. However, based on my original observation when I had just one projector, the Darbee improves the JVC (or Sony, too many projectors had come and go; it is a disease) by a slight margin in terms of sharpness, details and contrast. DW could not tell the difference.

It's for anal retentive people like me.

BTW, I did see a little bit of RBE on this latest BenQ iteration but it's much better than the older and slower w1070.
Thanks for the replies.I will report my findings when I get the darbee next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
HT3050

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page