SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If I recall correctly the HW65ES wasn't an improvement over the HW55ES. I read some reviews, even I think the one from Krane that the HW55ES was superior in PQ over the HW65ES. So if we extrapolate this to the HW45ES I would hold my breath and wait for some side by side comparisons before upgrade from HW40ES to HW45ES. RF and 100 lumens are not enough improvements to justify an upgrade. Just my 2 cents...

It's really an upgrade, and I don't think it's marketed as such. People on here just assumed.
Verge2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
nathan118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So I looked up the different bulbs....the H210 in this new 45es retails for $400. The H202 in the 40es is only $250.

$150 premium for the higher wattage bulb. Think that price difference will stick over the next several years? Not only would the 40es be at least $500 cheaper (assuming 45es comes in a $2500), but that's a good chunk of change per bulb.
nathan118 is offline  
post #33 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,684
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3757 Post(s)
Liked: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
So I looked up the different bulbs....the H210 in this new 45es retails for $400. The H202 in the 40es is only $250.

$150 premium for the higher wattage bulb. Think that price difference will stick over the next several years? Not only would the 40es be at least $500 cheaper (assuming 45es comes in a $2500), but that's a good chunk of change per bulb.
$298 at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ment_lamp.html

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,117
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6842 Post(s)
Liked: 8069
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
So I looked up the different bulbs....the H210 in this new 45es retails for $400. The H202 in the 40es is only $250.

$150 premium for the higher wattage bulb. Think that price difference will stick over the next several years? Not only would the 40es be at least $500 cheaper (assuming 45es comes in a $2500), but that's a good chunk of change per bulb.
The HW40 now at it's sale price isn't a bad way to go. I'm sure the improvements on the HW45 are incremental at best.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #35 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
nathan118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Thanks...was just looking at projector people.
nathan118 is offline  
post #36 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: just north of Atlanta
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The HW40 now at it's sale price isn't a bad way to go. I'm sure the improvements on the HW45 are incremental at best.
But it routinely went on sale at $1,999, do you think it will go lower now the HW45 is out?
mylan is online now  
post #37 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Member
 
bosoxfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lol. Lol. Lol.

Just installed my 40es. This is so me, just happened quicker than normal. So all of you that have been holding out, you're damn well welcome. 😅
Jetend and ShoutingMan like this.
bosoxfan is offline  
post #38 of 2607 Old 04-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Member
 
BSHuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 87
And my projector funding income tax refund just hit my account today...

I am taking the news a different way, since I was really thinking about the 40es. Wonder if they will go on clearance below the 2K mark. A $1750 or so price point would be nice!
BSHuff is offline  
post #39 of 2607 Old 04-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Does anyone have any idea when this will go on sale in the US...Seems like only info on it is .eu based at the moment. Thanks!
Mark Anderko is offline  
post #40 of 2607 Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Member
 
DrStrangeQuark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHuff View Post
I am taking the news a different way, since I was really thinking about the 40es. Wonder if they will go on clearance below the 2K mark. A $1750 or so price point would be nice!
Same here ... My theater is finally ready to go after 3 years of construction, and I have favored the 40es in my thinking for some time. Right now we have a hand-me-down benQ 480 line pj (coming up on 20 years old) from my Dad. It served well, but can't compete with modern solutions. Worse, we are down-converting blu-rays to 480 and sending over hdmi (the only connection run to the pj) which is then is being transcoded to analog vga (the old benQ has no digital inputs) by a $10 plug adapter. We watched our first movie with the kids and my folks (Pirates II) this last Sunday (actually the very first "movie" was Baby Einstein: Baby Newton, the choice of our special needs boy). It was great fun (new subs shook our chairs) but the combination of an old pj, old bulb, rather dark film, and low-end transcode made for a pretty dingy picture.

I am skeptical that the 45es will be more than an incremental upgrade from the 40es. Also, the new model will likely sell at ~ full list price (presumably $2500) for the foreseeable future, which is outside of the budget. So, that puts me in the market for deals on a 40es. I'd like to order a unit ASAP, but the timing seems such that it might be smart to wait just a bit and see what happens with closeouts. Any predictions / thoughts /advice?
DrStrangeQuark is offline  
post #41 of 2607 Old 04-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
For someone who's only interested in watching Blu Ray movies and Netflix on the projector, does the Sony 40ES offer a better picture than the Epson 5030UB? I see there are a lot of fans of the Sony in this forum, but the Epson 5030UB is highly rated and the reviews are outstanding for it. I know the 40ES is discontinued, so I can't wait to see if the Sony 45ES offers better PQ.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #42 of 2607 Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
kwok lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 77
DrStrangeQuark and Dirk503,

Just buy within your budget can afford. Sony 40es performs very well. Top pick at US$2K range. It is head to head compared with the Epson 5030. Both has their own Pros and Cons. Postings here is more than sufficient to add more. If $2k is out of your budget, no need to keep waiting for further price drop in the near future, unless you go for un-authorized sellers. Price had come down to $1.3k before. If the new 45es is $2.5k when come out in the near future, I think the 40es will stay at $2K. It might not be discontinued, as it is just 2 years old. 45es has a few adding functions (e.g. add in iris, brighter), but the rest are similar (as I heard). Pay $500 more for the 45es is worth or not? Depending if you need those additions functions. An good projector is a good projector, regardless it is going to discontinue to produce. If not in hurry to replace your existing projector, than wait for evaluations from users. That might take you months to wait.

Make sense? Isn't it?

Lastly, I had the Epson 5030es for 2 weeks before I bought the Sony 40es, because the Sony suit me better. Use it in complete dark room, it is gorgeous. $2K was well spent.
mp06011999 likes this.
kwok lau is offline  
post #43 of 2607 Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,102
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
For someone who's only interested in watching Blu Ray movies and Netflix on the projector, does the Sony 40ES offer a better picture than the Epson 5030UB? I see there are a lot of fans of the Sony in this forum, but the Epson 5030UB is highly rated and the reviews are outstanding for it. I know the 40ES is discontinued, so I can't wait to see if the Sony 45ES offers better PQ.
Until the 45es has been out on the streets we won't know anything about it as you can never trust manufacture specs. As far as comparing the Epson 5030 to the 40es read this thread .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...wrestling.html

I know its long but it will give you everyones opinion on the subject. You can't go wrong with either projector.
kwok lau likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is online now  
post #44 of 2607 Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Member
 
Whatever1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question

I thought I read here that the 40 has had some issues with the panels degrading over time on some..... and the 45 has better panels ???/


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangeQuark View Post
Same here ... My theater is finally ready to go after 3 years of construction, and I have favored the 40es in my thinking for some time. Right now we have a hand-me-down benQ 480 line pj (coming up on 20 years old) from my Dad. It served well, but can't compete with modern solutions. Worse, we are down-converting blu-rays to 480 and sending over hdmi (the only connection run to the pj) which is then is being transcoded to analog vga (the old benQ has no digital inputs) by a $10 plug adapter. We watched our first movie with the kids and my folks (Pirates II) this last Sunday (actually the very first "movie" was Baby Einstein: Baby Newton, the choice of our special needs boy). It was great fun (new subs shook our chairs) but the combination of an old pj, old bulb, rather dark film, and low-end transcode made for a pretty dingy picture.

I am skeptical that the 45es will be more than an incremental upgrade from the 40es. Also, the new model will likely sell at ~ full list price (presumably $2500) for the foreseeable future, which is outside of the budget. So, that puts me in the market for deals on a 40es. I'd like to order a unit ASAP, but the timing seems such that it might be smart to wait just a bit and see what happens with closeouts. Any predictions / thoughts /advice?
Whatever1 is offline  
post #45 of 2607 Old 04-22-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,690
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever1 View Post
I thought I read here that the 40 has had some issues with the panels degrading over time on some..... and the 45 has better panels ???/
There is a thread in the over $3000 forum about Sony panel degradation. I've seen questions asked in this forum about degradation of the 40ES but not a single person has said theirs was effected. Here's the thread in the over $3000 forum but it pertains to degradation of Sony 1080p 4K panels which the 40ES does not have. There very well be an issue on the 40ES and all Sony projectos but I haven't been able to find anyone who has a 40ES and has measured any degradation. I'm not saying it does or doesn't exist. What I'm saying is I can't find any cases of it on the forum or on the net for the 40ES.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...4k-panels.html

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 04-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Legairre is online now  
post #46 of 2607 Old 04-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Member
 
sbalasu3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you bought a Sony 40ES in the background thought of upgrading to a 4K down the road in few years, then you are not loosing much with the 45ES. You saved yourself $500+ (unless the 40ES is discounted steeper in few months - i doubt).
ShoutingMan and mp06011999 like this.
sbalasu3s is offline  
post #47 of 2607 Old 04-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I found this and a bit confused. Does the 45es have iris?

https://www.sony.es/pro/attachment/1237494354437?token=kzpUN2g4lU2UZ0ZKWauDQIyAFIr_M-mh5gKFz8dsJJRaA8KTO4mTdW4yBuXLyZJIfjOxmPERAtBVCof7 cKvq7kOQij-ewFh48LEDE64ZNk26Mp1zCNQYbLW1xgGlR8vbSJcHEQ..
cliffutenn is offline  
post #48 of 2607 Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Member
 
keithj101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffutenn View Post
So I found this and a bit confused. Does the 45es have iris?

https://www.sony.es/pro/attachment/1...xgGlR8vbSJcHEQ..

In regards to the iris feature at the bottom of the article it says the 65 only has this feature. So I'm guessing the answer is no the 45 does not.
keithj101 is offline  
post #49 of 2607 Old 04-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post
In regards to the iris feature at the bottom of the article it says the 65 only has this feature. So I'm guessing the answer is no the 45 does not.
where at the bottom, i don't see that
cliffutenn is offline  
post #50 of 2607 Old 04-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Member
 
keithj101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dynamic contrast
at 120,000:1
Optical engine improvements and advanced Iris 3 technology mean we?ve achieved an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 120,000:1. It maximises blacks and whites without diminishing brightness so you won?t miss a detail, even in dark scenes (VPL-HW65ES only).
keithj101 is offline  
post #51 of 2607 Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post
Dynamic contrast
at 120,000:1
Optical engine improvements and advanced Iris 3 technology mean we?ve achieved an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 120,000:1. It maximises blacks and whites without diminishing brightness so you won?t miss a detail, even in dark scenes (VPL-HW65ES only).
ahhh, got it...thanks, so they don't have the contrast ratio figures for the 45es out yet?
cliffutenn is offline  
post #52 of 2607 Old 04-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
CTM Audi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hopefully they worked on some of the quality issues for the new model. That alone would make it worth getting over the 40es.
CTM Audi is offline  
post #53 of 2607 Old 04-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Member
 
SKiTLz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM Audi View Post
Hopefully they worked on some of the quality issues for the new model. That alone would make it worth getting over the 40es.
Can you elaborate on the 40 issues?

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
SKiTLz is offline  
post #54 of 2607 Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Member
 
prophcy0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalasu3s View Post
If you bought a Sony 40ES in the background thought of upgrading to a 4K down the road in few years, then you are not loosing much with the 45ES. You saved yourself $500+ (unless the 40ES is discounted steeper in few months - i doubt).
This is/was my exact plan. In the meantime, I am loving my 40ES and have absolutely no regrets.
Reddig likes this.
prophcy0 is offline  
post #55 of 2607 Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
just found this :
Bachiano is offline  
post #56 of 2607 Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Bachiano is offline  
post #57 of 2607 Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Member
 
SKiTLz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So built-in 3D, more light output (already bright) and reduced input lag (never heard anyone complain the 40ES was slow)..

Doesn't sound "greatly improved" to me... Sounds like a mild update like everyone has been suggesting.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
SKiTLz is offline  
post #58 of 2607 Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,690
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post
So built-in 3D, more light output (already bright) and reduced input lag (never heard anyone complain the 40ES was slow)..

Doesn't sound "greatly improved" to me... Sounds like a mild update like everyone has been suggesting.
The USB updating feature of the 45ES would be nice, but I just called Sony @ 1-877-619-7669 to ask if there have been any firmware releases for the 40ES that I should send mine in for. The rep said the system doesn't show any firmware releases have been issued for the 40ES. Not saying the 45ES will never need one, but makes feel less like the USB updating may not be nesessacy.

Pretty much like you said just minor upgrades to the 45ES. IMO nothing worth paying around $700 or more dollars for over the discounted price of the 40ES.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #59 of 2607 Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
mp06011999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
The USB updating feature of the 45ES would be nice, but I just called Sony @ 1-877-619-7669 to ask if there have been any firmware releases for the 40ES that I should send mine in for. The rep said the system doesn't show any firmware releases have been issued for the 40ES. Not saying the 45ES will never need one, but makes feel less like the USB updating may not be nesessacy.

Pretty much like you said just minor upgrades to the 45ES. IMO nothing worth paying around $700 or more dollars for over the discounted price of the 40ES.
I could see it maybe if you're really into 3D. We have a 3D tv and other than to show it to people, we never watch anything in 3D. Not after the newness wore off after a few months.

And Sony has also released cheaper versions (read as "less quality") of successful products. Not saying they did that here, but it is always a possibility. Discovered that years ago when shopping Camcorders. Had to shop "old / previous model" to get the better one at the time. Ever updated an app and wish you hadn't?
mp06011999 is offline  
post #60 of 2607 Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
nathan118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
This is great....can someone translate it now?

Or at least if there is anything really important....
nathan118 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off