SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #61 of 2607 Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
I could see it maybe if you're really into 3D. We have a 3D tv and other than to show it to people, we never watch anything in 3D. Not after the newness wore off after a few months.

And Sony has also released cheaper versions (read as "less quality") of successful products. Not saying they did that here, but it is always a possibility. Discovered that years ago when shopping Camcorders. Had to shop "old / previous model" to get the better one at the time. Ever updated an app and wish you hadn't?
Yeah for me the most useful thing would be the USB updating, but not for say $700 over the current price of a 40ES. For that price I want a big jump in PQ.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2607 Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
This is great....can someone translate it now?

Or at least if there is anything really important....
the second link I posted is a google translation of the review.
nathan118 likes this.
post #63 of 2607 Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6706 Post(s)
Liked: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Yeah for me the most useful thing would be the USB updating, but not for say $700 over the current price of a 40ES. For that price I want a big jump in PQ.
It's rare to get " big jumps " in picture quality, from one model year to the next. Small, incremental improvements are the norm, since I've been in home theater ( 13+ years ). Buying the current model at a reduced price always makes sense.
freestylr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2607 Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post
Can you elaborate on the 40 issues?
Panel alignment, drifting focus and alignment, flickering, etc... Check the thread for it, plenty of people having to get 2-4 units before a good one.

Last edited by CTM Audi; 04-29-2016 at 05:01 PM.
post #65 of 2607 Old 05-16-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Buying the current model at a reduced price always makes sense.
For what it's worth, we went ahead with the 40es. The image is still just making me smile. Episode IV was our first screening on the new PJ, and it was a revelation. The color (hints of red) and texture in Chewy's fur is just one example of the "seeing for the first time" experience that we are having. Also, the 3d is unbelievably nice -- not a gimmick, but a real feature that is usable and attractive for regular real-world viewing (using the inexpensive PS3 IR glasses).

Out of the box, there was about a 1 pixel misalignment problem (one color shifted up/left, the other down/right), but this was easily and globally corrected via the built-in alignment tool.

Got a great deal, and couldn't be happier with the results. The picture is silky and rich. Very filmy. Good saturation. Good contrast. Good balance. I like the size and heft of the unit, and the quality that it seems to imply. I like the zoom and shift flexibility (although I did unexpectedly have to aim down just a *bit* to hit the lower screen edge, with very minor keystoning consequences -- NOT using the digital correction). Although it is possible to do better, the optics seem very serious -- we're getting sharp pixel definition. The light output is uniform and plenty bright. It is surprisingly OK with some lights on, but stunning in the dark. The unit runs very quietly. There is an overall sensation of "not a toy" with this PJ.

On the personal wish list would be i) auto zoom memory [our screen is 10' wide, 2.4:1, and I manually reconfigure according to the format for constant height], and ii) 4K resolution, but both features (especially the second) imply a different price category or other tradeoffs. It seems like it would be very tough to hit the price/performance ratio harder than this unit does for the time being. I had very high expectations, and it is delivering.
post #66 of 2607 Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm also going with the 40ES, I picked it up yesterday. For the money, it seems like a great image. I'll probably run it for a 2-3 years and see where 4K/laser projectors come down to. Hopefully in three years you will be able to get into a 4K unit with substantially better performance for about $4000.
post #67 of 2607 Old 05-17-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangeQuark View Post
For what it's worth, we went ahead with the 40es. The image is still just making me smile. Episode IV was our first screening on the new PJ, and it was a revelation. The color (hints of red) and texture in Chewy's fur is just one example of the "seeing for the first time" experience that we are having. Also, the 3d is unbelievably nice -- not a gimmick, but a real feature that is usable and attractive for regular real-world viewing (using the inexpensive PS3 IR glasses).

Out of the box, there was about a 1 pixel misalignment problem (one color shifted up/left, the other down/right), but this was easily and globally corrected via the built-in alignment tool.

Got a great deal, and couldn't be happier with the results. The picture is silky and rich. Very filmy. Good saturation. Good contrast. Good balance. I like the size and heft of the unit, and the quality that it seems to imply. I like the zoom and shift flexibility (although I did unexpectedly have to aim down just a *bit* to hit the lower screen edge, with very minor keystoning consequences -- NOT using the digital correction). Although it is possible to do better, the optics seem very serious -- we're getting sharp pixel definition. The light output is uniform and plenty bright. It is surprisingly OK with some lights on, but stunning in the dark. The unit runs very quietly. There is an overall sensation of "not a toy" with this PJ.

On the personal wish list would be i) auto zoom memory [our screen is 10' wide, 2.4:1, and I manually reconfigure according to the format for constant height], and ii) 4K resolution, but both features (especially the second) imply a different price category or other tradeoffs. It seems like it would be very tough to hit the price/performance ratio harder than this unit does for the time being. I had very high expectations, and it is delivering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post
I'm also going with the 40ES, I picked it up yesterday. For the money, it seems like a great image. I'll probably run it for a 2-3 years and see where 4K/laser projectors come down to. Hopefully in three years you will be able to get into a 4K unit with substantially better performance for about $4000.
This is my fourth projector in about 10 years and all had an MSRP in the 2K range. Sony has really done a great job with the 40ES and I'm expecting no less from the 45ES. The 40ES is one of those purchases that cost a lot of money, but after firing it up and seeing how bright, smooth, clean, clear sharp etc... the image is there just isn't any buyers remorse at all. It's solid projector that as you said doesn't feel like a toy. It appears to be a quality piece and even after 600 hrs I'm still blown away every time I fire it up. At $2500 it's a great projector, but at under 2K it's a steal.
kazinvan likes this.

post #68 of 2607 Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Folks were over this weekend to watch some Netflix streaming. These are folks that will NEVER be on an AV forum and who have been watching my 2009 Mitsubishi HC3800 for years with us. When I told them I got a new projector they, like ALL my friends, asked WHY. This past weekend's viewings all you could hear was them saying "we need a new TV, this image is AMAZING. It looks like a 12 foot television. Can't believe how sharp and the colors..."

Same thing happened last month when another long time couple was over.

Neither couple, AFTER viewing the Sony 40ES, has asked why I replaced my old projector.
kazinvan and DrStrangeQuark like this.
post #69 of 2607 Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Have you people figured out that is supposed to be the Vpl-hw45es thread - SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - not the hw40es thread!
post #70 of 2607 Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you're not happy with the conversation then post something about the 45ES.
brian6751 and DrStrangeQuark like this.

post #71 of 2607 Old 05-19-2016, 04:36 PM

That's what I'm waiting for! If I want to read about the 40es, I'll go to a 40es thread. You should try it sometime.
post #72 of 2607 Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You've had one projector related post in this thread and it was about the RF in the 65ES. Don't wait for others to start the conversation, you can post about the 45ES and get it going. You want others to talk 45ES, but even you're not talking 45ES. Perhaps "you should try it sometime ".

Last edited by Legairre; 05-19-2016 at 08:11 PM.
post #73 of 2607 Old 05-20-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Surely someone who actually owns one will eventually start a dedicated Sony VPL-HW45ES Owners thread.
post #74 of 2607 Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Surely someone who actually owns one will eventually start a dedicated Sony VPL-HW45ES Owners thread.
First off, this is the 45ES thread created by Kraine, like he usually does. If or when he gets one to test he will post a link like he usually does.

Look who create the 40ES thread. It was Kraine.

Kraine's website is French. The projector is not available in France as of last week.

It's been only available in Germany only. There are no test reports yet from Germany.

The English websites show the projector but stock is unavailable.

I have seen one Canadian site with it listed but no stock.

I can't post what doesn't exist.
post #75 of 2607 Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Houston View Post
Yes, but in my opinion you are missing the point. By all accounts, the 45es and the 40es are going to be very similar in performance. So, until the new model comes out, and perhaps for a while after it does, this means that a key question on the minds of people in the projector market (such as myself) is whether it is better to wait and pay more for the promised marginal improvements, or to take advantage of the good deals (which may very well get even better) to be found on an already excellent product. It is a tricky budget-dependent decision, which a lot people are wrestling with (as evidenced by quite a few of the posts in this thread). This means, especially until the 45es is readily available in all markets, that discussion of both models is bound to be intrinsically linked and mutually interdependent. I found your posts to be dismissive and rude, and they were unappreciated.
Legairre and brian6751 like this.
post #76 of 2607 Old 05-20-2016, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, but in my opinion you are missing the point. By all accounts, the 45es and the 40es are going to be very similar in performance. So, until the new model comes out, and perhaps for a while after it does, this means that a key question on the minds of people in the projector market (such as myself) is whether it is better to wait and pay more for the promised marginal improvements, or to take advantage of the good deals (which may very well get even better) to be found on an already excellent product. It is a tricky budget-dependent decision, which a lot people are wrestling with (as evidenced by quite a few of the posts in this thread). This means, especially until the 45es is readily available in all markets, that discussion of both models is bound to be intrinsically linked and mutually interdependent. I found your posts to be dismissive and rude, and they were unappreciated.
Well said Dr.

post #77 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 346
At one big shop here in Canada, the Sony VPL-HW45ES is listed for CAD$2800, but it's $3000 at the same store for the two year-old 40ES. This is an authorized Sony reseller.

At other stores I see the 45ES for CAD$2300, but $2200 for the 40ES. I'm thinking these latter ones are unauthorized dealers.

So in fact, there does NOT seem to be a real world price premium here for the new 45ES. As noted above, the pricing at the big Sony authorized store is cheaper for the 45ES than the older 40ES. (I could not find MSRP pricing at Sony for the 45ES.)

I was considering trying to stick it out longer with my old Panasonic PT-AX200U, but maybe that's a fool's errand, given that the VPL-HW45ES isn't that expensive and real 4K projectors in the under CAD$4000 range are nowhere to be found.

So how much better will the blacks and shadow detail be with the 45ES? Cuz, the blacks and shadow detail on the Panasonic aren't very good. That and the fan noise concern me more than the 720p resolution of the Panny. Night vs day improvement for blacks and shadow detail, and for lower fan noise? That's what I hoping for. I need to do something relatively soon since I have almost 1900 hours on this lamp and it is telling me to replace the lamp.

BTW, the 65ES is out of the question since it is well over CAD$5000.

EDIT:

In case anyone wants it, here is the manual from Sony Canada's website;

http://www.sonybiz.ca/pro/lang/en/ca/support/user-guides/1237494395452

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-21-2016 at 12:47 AM.
post #78 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
At one big shop here in Canada, the Sony VPL-HW45ES is listed for CAD$2800, but it's $3000 at the same store for the two year-old 40ES. This is an authorized Sony reseller.

At other stores I see the 45ES for CAD$2300, but $2200 for the 40ES. I'm thinking these latter ones are unauthorized dealers.

So in fact, there does NOT seem to be a real world price premium here for the new 45ES. As noted above, the pricing at the big Sony authorized store is cheaper for the 45ES than the older 40ES. (I could not find MSRP pricing at Sony for the 45ES.)

I was considering trying to stick it out longer with my old Panasonic PT-AX200U, but maybe that's a fool's errand, given that the VPL-HW45ES isn't that expensive and real 4K projectors in the under CAD$4000 range are nowhere to be found.

So how much better will the blacks and shadow detail be with the 45ES? Cuz, the blacks and shadow detail on the Panasonic aren't very good. That and the fan noise concern me more than the 720p resolution of the Panny. Night vs day improvement for blacks and shadow detail, and for lower fan noise? That's what I hoping for. I need to do something relatively soon since I have almost 1900 hours on this lamp and it is telling me to replace the lamp.

BTW, the 65ES is out of the question since it is well over CAD$5000.

EDIT:

In case anyone wants it, here is the manual from Sony Canada's website;

http://www.sonybiz.ca/pro/lang/en/ca.../1237494395452
Thanks for the link.

The 40ES/45ES should be significant improvement over any older 720p projector. It's a light cannon. If you have a screen smaller than 100" and want to use your current mounting location it can be excessively bright even at low bulb. There is no price change in Germany. projectorcentral.com and projectorreviews.com both have reviews on the Panny and Sony.
post #79 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

The 40ES/45ES should be significant improvement over any older 720p projector. It's a light cannon. If you have a screen smaller than 100" and want to use your current mounting location it can be excessively bright even at low bulb. There is no price change in Germany. projectorcentral.com and projectorreviews.com both have reviews on the Panny and Sony.
The PT-AX200U is actually spec'd higher than the 45ES for light output, at 2000 lumens. I am throwing a 90" image from 9 feet. I'm currently running it at full mode right now since Eco is a bit dim, probably because the lamp has almost 1900 hours on it. I think the projector lamps are rated for 1800 hours or so, although it's not actually listed.
post #80 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
First off, this is the 45ES thread created by Kraine, like he usually does. If or when he gets one to test he will post a link like he usually does.

Look who create the 40ES thread. It was Kraine.

Kraine's website is French. The projector is not available in France as of last week.

It's been only available in Germany only. There are no test reports yet from Germany.

The English websites show the projector but stock is unavailable.

I have seen one Canadian site with it listed but no stock.

The HW45 launch in Europe has been delayed to middle of june, because of an Earth Quake in Japan that has impacted one Sony factory.
post #81 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, I posted the link to the 45ES's English (Canadian) manual but forgot to post the link to the actual projector, which is here:

http://www.sonybiz.ca/pro/lang/en/ca...ma/vpl-hw45es/

BTW, they still have the 40ES on their website, as well as the 55ES, even though my understanding was that they are to be replaced by the 45ES and 65ES respectively. The 55ES is available from some retailers for under CAD$4000, which means less than US$3000. Still too expensive for me though, for a 1080p model.
post #82 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
That's what I'm waiting for! If I want to read about the 40es, I'll go to a 40es thread. You should try it sometime.
Thanks for letting me know that I have once again done something that does not please someone on the internet. That's never happened before.

-- he says jokingly
brian6751 likes this.

Last edited by mp06011999; 05-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.
post #83 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
The HW45 launch in Europe has been delayed to middle of june, because of an Earth Quake in Japan that has impacted one Sony factory.
Thanks kraine. You always provide good information.
post #84 of 2607 Old 05-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Well said Dr.
Quote:
I agree 100%

It really is amazing the lack of manners that some people have on this site.
post #85 of 2607 Old 05-22-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the Canadian warranty:

http://www.sonybiz.ca/pro/lang/en/ca...s0hfLHf9DWYYAg..

It's one year parts and NO labour coverage. What?!?

Also, as mentioned, the posted online price from an authorized Sony dealer is CAD$2800 for the 45ES but it is CAD$500 more than another dealer, which makes me think that second dealer is not an authorized dealer despite being a well-established online dealer that's been around for a long time.

$500 is a big difference. Maybe I'll try to negotiate down the price from the local authorized dealer.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-22-2016 at 09:48 AM.
post #86 of 2607 Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
... It's one year parts and NO labour coverage. What?!? ...
It's pretty standard wording for any 1-year parts and labor warranty. Check the parts I boldfaced:

Quote:
LABOUR: For a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase, Sony will, at no charge, repair this Product if the Product is determined by Sony to be defective. After the expiry of the warranty period, Purchaser must pay all labour charges.

PARTS: For a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase Sony will, at no charge, supply new or rebuilt replacements for parts determined by Sony to be defective. After the expiry of the warranty period, Purchaser must pay all parts charges.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 05-22-2016 at 11:54 AM.
post #87 of 2607 Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It's pretty standard wording for any 1-year parts and labor warranty. Check the parts I boldfaced:
I misread the warranty. They have an exception for the warranty for the VPL-HW series, and that exception makes no mention of the labour. I took that to mean that labour is not covered, but that is incorrect. What that means is the labour falls under the regular warranty, but parts section is different from the regular warranty.

Why is the parts sections of the warranty different? Because they exclude the lamp for obvious reasons. The lamp is warrantied for 90 days.

Now I'm just wondering if there will be any issue with the warranty from one store, which is more a government and business oriented online retailer. They sell a lot of business projectors, not a consumer home theatre oriented store, but they do sell home cinema projectors too. The pricing is noticeably cheaper than the boutique stores, but like I said I will try to bargain with a boutique shop to see how much they'll drop from the advertised price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
This is not described on the Canadian site, but in your link the translated text has this:

The signal electronics from the UHD 4K high end models has been integrated in the VPL-HW45ES. This is now as the top model HW65ES the Reality Creation 2 on board the unit. Sharper than sharp is the result of this progress.

---

The secret weapon in terms of focus is the further developed Reality Creation 2 in Sony VPL-HW45ES which has now been adapted from the segment of UHD 4K projector. Noise-free Focus to the smallest detail are the result. This technique ensures thanks to complex algorithms and an incredibly fast hardware technology that still images from digital photos or moving images in movies, games or TV events such as football or Formula 1 are represented by a multiple sharpener, as you would normal of a Full HD Blu-ray is normal. It's incredible; you have to yourself in our sites "live" and check the "full focus". Both 2D as well as 3D image content will benefit from this reference technology

So, what does this actually mean?

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-24-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #88 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered the Sony VPL-HW45ES today! (I'm in Canada.)

Of the two places I checked neither had it in stock yet, so I'm not sure when I'll actually get it. They expect the units very soon though (which makes sense since the 40ES is now discontinued and doesn't even exist on Canada's Sony website anymore). Interestingly, both shops I checked had the 45ES for a bit less money than the 40ES.

The timing is perfect, since my existing projector's bulb is at the end of its life. I decided not to wait for the new 2016 consumer 4K options on the DLP side, based on that that new small 4K chip from Texas Instruments. I predict the cost will be high and the mounting options will be limited. The reason I didn't go DLP last time around (besides the rainbow effect) was because of the restrictive mounting options.

Note though that in Canada, the warranty for the 40ES is three years through an authorized Sony dealer. It's only one year for the 45ES apparently, or so says a store website, but I will get an extra year through my credit card. Maybe that's just an oversight though, and perhaps the authorized stores will update their websites to show a three year warranty for ES products when stock comes in, but as mentioned, the standard warranty listed on the SonyBiz.ca website for this unit is one year.
post #89 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Any word on when this will be available in the US? If it's going to be the same prices as the 40ES, it's worth looking into.
post #90 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
[b] Interestingly, both shops I checked had the 45ES for a bit less money than the 40ES.
That is interesting indeed. Looked up a couple of sellers in Canada and their Price was under $2,200. US / 2,800 CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page