SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Any word on when this will be available in the US? If it's going to be the same prices as the 40ES, it's worth looking into.
I'm just guessing but...

kraine mentioned that the launch in Europe has been delayed until mid-June due to the earthquake in Japan. However, in both the UK and France, the Sony websites now list the 45ES as the base model and the 40ES has been deleted. The same for us in Canada.

So I am guessing kraine really means that while the 45ES has been launched on the websites in Europe and Canada, there is not enough stock to actually sell it, so we shouldn't expect a true launch with actual product availability until mid-June. Perhaps Sony USA just chose not to launch it officially until they could actually sell it in good quantities, so perhaps one should expect a mid-June official release in the US of A.

I'm hoping mid-June for us in Canada too, which means I could get my (pre-)order fulfilled in about 3 weeks.
Dirk504 likes this.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Member
 
JeremyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hope mid-June happens as well in the US, but it hasn't even been announced here yet. They'll only sell the black model here that shows an availability date of 7/22-7/24 in German retail sites I've checked (white model in mid-June though). Not sure I'm patient enough to wait until the end of July and likely pay $500 more, but do like some of the minor upgrades in the 45es on paper and hoping the reality creation 2 improves some of the image processing (noticed lots of grain / sharpening in the sky and other continuous tones that didn't need to be sharpened on the 40es; minor gripe though). Anyone else debating the wait?
JeremyR is offline  
post #93 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
kazinvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Hope mid-June happens as well in the US, but it hasn't even been announced here yet. They'll only sell the black model here that shows an availability date of 7/22-7/24 in German retail sites I've checked (white model in mid-June though). Not sure I'm patient enough to wait until the end of July and likely pay $500 more, but do like some of the minor upgrades in the 45es on paper and hoping the reality creation 2 improves some of the image processing (noticed lots of grain / sharpening in the sky and other continuous tones that didn't need to be sharpened on the 40es; minor gripe though). Anyone else debating the wait?
Nope, just bought a 40ES and installed it yesterday. Upgrades don't warrant the wait or extra money. Happy to run it for a few years and switch to a 4K unit when prices drop a bit more and there is actual content available.
kazinvan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,693
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I misread the warranty. They have an exception for the warranty for the VPL-HW series, and that exception makes no mention of the labour. I took that to mean that labour is not covered, but that is incorrect. What that means is the labour falls under the regular warranty, but parts section is different from the regular warranty.

Why is the parts sections of the warranty different? Because they exclude the lamp for obvious reasons. The lamp is warrantied for 90 days.

Now I'm just wondering if there will be any issue with the warranty from one store, which is more a government and business oriented online retailer. They sell a lot of business projectors, not a consumer home theatre oriented store, but they do sell home cinema projectors too. The pricing is noticeably cheaper than the boutique stores, but like I said I will try to bargain with a boutique shop to see how much they'll drop from the advertised price.


This is not described on the Canadian site, but in your link the translated text has this:

The signal electronics from the UHD 4K high end models has been integrated in the VPL-HW45ES. This is now as the top model HW65ES the Reality Creation 2 on board the unit. Sharper than sharp is the result of this progress.

---

The secret weapon in terms of focus is the further developed Reality Creation 2 in Sony VPL-HW45ES which has now been adapted from the segment of UHD 4K projector. Noise-free Focus to the smallest detail are the result. This technique ensures thanks to complex algorithms and an incredibly fast hardware technology that still images from digital photos or moving images in movies, games or TV events such as football or Formula 1 are represented by a multiple sharpener, as you would normal of a Full HD Blu-ray is normal. It's incredible; you have to yourself in our sites "live" and check the "full focus". Both 2D as well as 3D image content will benefit from this reference technology


So, what does this actually mean?
You are reading on the wrong section. The right warranty for the VPL-HW45ES is the one marked as VPL-xxxxxES as for "Elevated Standard" or ES. What this means is all VPL models than ends with an "ES" have 3 years warranty parts and labour.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 4.01.07 PM.jpg
Views:	3070
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	1457642  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #95 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I saw the 45ES listed on the Bob's TV website in the US, for US$2499. Dunno if they are an authorized dealer or not, but my guess is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
You are reading on the wrong section. The right warranty for the VPL-HW45ES is the one marked as VPL-xxxxxES as for "Elevated Standard" or ES. What this means is all VPL models than ends with an "ES" have 3 years warranty parts and labour.
You are correct. Thanks. I guess my confusion got reinforced because an authorized dealer's website states 1 year. It sounds like they just entered the wrong information on their website.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #96 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I saw the 45ES listed on the Bob's TV website in the US, for US$2499. Dunno if they are an authorized dealer or not, but my guess is no.


You are correct. Thanks. I guess my confusion got reinforced because an authorized dealer's website states 1 year. It sounds like they just entered the wrong information on their website.
Oddly enough that Bob's TV joint lists it currently as "in stock".
Mark Anderko is offline  
post #97 of 2607 Old 05-24-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post
It seem this unit also comes with iris?
They really need to fix the brochure. This comparison page also lists the non-existent iris.



---

Eastporters in Oakville is showing it is in stock. Dunno pricing though.

https://www.eastporters.com/product-..._brand-attr=or
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyProjectors2016.png
Views:	507
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	1458546  

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-24-2016 at 09:39 PM.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #98 of 2607 Old 05-25-2016, 05:45 AM
Member
 
BrianMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
In the market for a new projector to replace an older Viewsonic Pro8100 and decided on the Sony. My local dealer (Canada) tells me that the 45 is coming in a bit cheaper than the 40 and should start shipping to them at the end of May (available mid June). Since I'm in no rush, I'm going to wait... the higher lamp life and ability to update via USB are really appealing to me and the built in RF transmitter is a bonus.

Anyway, told them to bring me one in so I'll post once its in my hands
BrianMac is offline  
post #99 of 2607 Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 AM
Member
 
coolpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMac View Post
In the market for a new projector to replace an older Viewsonic Pro8100 and decided on the Sony. My local dealer (Canada) tells me that the 45 is coming in a bit cheaper than the 40 and should start shipping to them at the end of May (available mid June). Since I'm in no rush, I'm going to wait... the higher lamp life and ability to update via USB are really appealing to me and the built in RF transmitter is a bonus.

Anyway, told them to bring me one in so I'll post once its in my hands
Glad to hear it'll be cheaper than the outgoing 40
I am starting to finish my basement with a dedicated home theater and will need a projector by end of sep or mid october... maybe can wait for november if there are going to be any good BF deals here in the USA, but now I am convinced that I will be waiting for the sony 45.....

so far, been on the fence for epson 5030ub and sony 40, but silent fan and lower gaming lag made me incline a little towards sony while a free lamp (with MIR) and included 3d glasses and rf transmitter on epson were enticing.....
now with 45, the rf advantage of epson is gone and from what I heard/read, the input lag on 45 is even better than the 40 + extra lumens and potential price advantage will be bonus
coolpal is offline  
post #100 of 2607 Old 05-25-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
One dealer in Canada I communicated with also said to expect stock availability about mid-June. That's what their distributors are telling them.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #101 of 2607 Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
It seems there are a few units out there in the wild:



So where are the reviews?!?

BTW, I did see this comment from that German review on YouTube:

Commenter: Hi. Side by side vs hw40 can you tell the difference?It would be great to have subtitles, this is the only review of the hw45 on the web at this date :-)

Reviewer: most impressing RC 2.0 which brings the picture near to the Sony 4K Beamers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1459570  

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-25-2016 at 11:32 AM.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #102 of 2607 Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
This is looking better and better !

From www.heimkinoraum.de
"The secret weapon in terms of focus is the further developed Reality Creation 2 in Sony VPL-HW45ES which has now been adapted from the segment of UHD 4K projector. Noise-free Focus to the smallest detail are the result"
Bachiano is offline  
post #103 of 2607 Old 05-25-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 3,194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMac View Post
In the market for a new projector to replace an older Viewsonic Pro8100 and decided on the Sony. My local dealer (Canada) tells me that the 45 is coming in a bit cheaper than the 40 and should start shipping to them at the end of May (available mid June). Since I'm in no rush, I'm going to wait... the higher lamp life and ability to update via USB are really appealing to me and the built in RF transmitter is a bonus.

Anyway, told them to bring me one in so I'll post once its in my hands
I went for my Pro8100 to the 40 and was amazed by the difference and I thought the Pro8100 was great when I got it. Haven't seen the 45 so can't compare it to the 40. But doubt the 40 would disappoint you.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is offline  
post #104 of 2607 Old 05-26-2016, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
S$2999 in Singapore, which is less than US$2200.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-...ife-6000-hours

Versus the 2-year-old VPL-HW40ES, this new VPL-HW45ES (which sports the same chassis) offers a more detailed picture, higher brightness of up to 1,800 ANSI lumens, better contrast, as well as lower background noise. Additionally, the lamp lasts up to a good 6,000 hours.

The VPL-HW45ES projector will be available in Q2 2016 for S$2,999.


---

That's the same price as the VPL-HW40ES was.

http://www.expatliving.sg/Things_to_...d-up-52357.ece
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #105 of 2607 Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
S$2999 in Singapore, which is less than US$2200.
The VPL-HW45ES projector will be available in Q2 2016 for S$2,999.
---
That's the same price as the VPL-HW40ES was.
The 40es was originally $2500 US
The 45es at $2999. (SGD) = $2200 (US)
So $300 cheaper with improvements is very tempting.
Let's see what dealers in the US do when they get their hands on them.
Bachiano is offline  
post #106 of 2607 Old 05-26-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
There is a thread in the over $3000 forum about Sony panel degradation. I've seen questions asked in this forum about degradation of the 40ES but not a single person has said theirs was effected. Here's the thread in the over $3000 forum but it pertains to degradation of Sony 1080p 4K panels which the 40ES does not have. There very well be an issue on the 40ES and all Sony projectos but I haven't been able to find anyone who has a 40ES and has measured any degradation. I'm not saying it does or doesn't exist. What I'm saying is I can't find any cases of it on the forum or on the net for the 40ES.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...4k-panels.html
I wonder if a part of this is because those in the 40ES/45ES market generally don't bother investing in the equipment to actually measure this phenomenon. According to the posts there, it can be hard to see initially as it is a gradual process, but it can be measured even relatively early on (after 500 hours or so).

Furthermore, the thread states that there has been unofficial information coming from Sony representatives that the 65ES employs some sort of countermeasures to address this issue, and that at the time of its release, it was the only one to have those countermeasures. (As we know, the 65ES came out a long time after the 40ES did.)

Since it looks like the 45ES is probably in large part a 65ES without the iris and network port, it might stand to reason that the 45ES may have inherited those countermeasures against SXRD panel degradation.

In my case it probably doesn't really matter that much since I suspect by the time I'd actually care, I'd probably be wanting to upgrade to 4K anyway because my usage of my projector is way less than the average here so it takes a long time for me accumulate the hours. I'm still on my first lamp for my Panasonic PT-AX200U with less than 2000 hours, despite the fact I bought that 8 years ago. At that rate, it'd take me a quarter century to go through a bulb for the Sony 45ES. However, for a lot of other users here who can put say 1000+ hours per year on a lamp, the issue of SXRD degradation might be more concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
The 40es was originally $2500 US
The 45es at $2999. (SGD) = $2200 (US)
So $300 cheaper with improvements is very tempting.
Let's see what dealers in the US do when they get their hands on them.
I think hoping for a US$300 drop in MSRP is a bit optimistic. That said, hoping for availability of 45ES for decent pricing in the US right at/near launch seems quite probable. Like I said before, pricing in Canada at the two stores I checked had the 45ES slightly cheaper than the 40ES at both stores, despite the fact the 45ES is a brand new product with no stock availability yet.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-26-2016 at 06:14 AM.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #107 of 2607 Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm an optimistic kind of guy.
But I would not complain even at $2500.
Bachiano is offline  
post #108 of 2607 Old 05-26-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,694
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I wonder if a part of this is because those in the 40ES/45ES market generally don't bother investing in the equipment to actually measure this phenomenon. According to the posts there, it can be hard to see initially as it is a gradual process, but it can be measured even relatively early on (after 500 hours or so).

Furthermore, the thread states that there has been unofficial information coming from Sony representatives that the 65ES employs some sort of countermeasures to address this issue, and that at the time of its release, it was the only one to have those countermeasures. (As we know, the 65ES came out a long time after the 40ES did.)

Since it looks like the 45ES is probably in large part a 65ES without the iris and network port, it might stand to reason that the 45ES may have inherited those countermeasures against SXRD panel degradation.

In my case it probably doesn't really matter that much since I suspect by the time I'd actually care, I'd probably be wanting to upgrade to 4K anyway because my usage of my projector is way less than the average here so it takes a long time for me accumulate the hours. I'm still on my first lamp for my Panasonic PT-AX200U with less than 2000 hours, despite the fact I bought that 8 years ago. At that rate, it'd take me a quarter century to go through a bulb for the Sony 45ES. However, for a lot of other users here who can put say 1000+ hours per year on a lamp, the issue of SXRD degradation might be more concerning.


I think hoping for a US$300 drop in MSRP is a bit optimistic. That said, hoping for availability of 45ES for decent pricing in the US right at/near launch seems quite probable. Like I said before, pricing in Canada at the two stores I checked had the 45ES slightly cheaper than the 40ES at both stores, despite the fact the 45ES is a brand new product with no stock availability yet.
Very true I don't think many people have measured the contrast after 500 hrs to really see if there is degradation on the 40ES. I also wonder how many people have non Sony projectors, that are DLP, LCOS, LCD etc... that over time loose contrast but no one knows it.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #109 of 2607 Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
just saw a 45ES on the bay with a buy it now of $2100.
Bachiano is offline  
post #110 of 2607 Old 05-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
nathan118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
just saw a 45ES on the bay with a buy it now of $2100.
Buy it and review it for us!
nathan118 is offline  
post #111 of 2607 Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Member
 
SKiTLz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I ordered the Sony VPL-HW45ES today! (I'm in Canada.)

Interestingly, both shops I checked had the 45ES for a bit less money than the 40ES.
This chaps me a bit. Literally just bought the 40ES thinking the 45ES would be more money. I secretly hope it's not any better.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
SKiTLz is offline  
post #112 of 2607 Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
kazinvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post
This chaps me a bit. Literally just bought the 40ES thinking the 45ES would be more money. I secretly hope it's not any better.
Same here, but don't care because I'm enjoying it already and there will be something bigger and better constantly. I'll probably buy a new projector in three years or so, hopefully 4K.
kazinvan is offline  
post #113 of 2607 Old 05-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
Buy it and review it for us!
Good One ! LOL
Bachiano is offline  
post #114 of 2607 Old 05-27-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 3,194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Like I said before, pricing in Canada at the two stores I checked had the 45ES slightly cheaper than the 40ES at both stores, despite the fact the 45ES is a brand new product with no stock availability yet.
Sounds like the guy that was at the store asking why their eggs were $2.00/dozen when the store down the street was selling them for $1.00/dozen. When the clerk told him to go down the street to buy his eggs, the guy responded that they were out of eggs. The clerk said that when he was out, the price was $.75/dozen.

IOW, we'll have to wait 'til the 45 is actually available to see what the pricing finally settles out at.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is offline  
post #115 of 2607 Old 05-27-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post
This chaps me a bit. Literally just bought the 40ES thinking the 45ES would be more money. I secretly hope it's not any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post
Same here, but don't care because I'm enjoying it already and there will be something bigger and better constantly. I'll probably buy a new projector in three years or so, hopefully 4K.
Well, at least you guys have the 40ES in hand are enjoying it now. And if you got a good price, you got a good price. See below.*

Those of us ordering the 45ES will likely have to wait a few weeks, as there seems to be very limited availability world-wide.... which makes me wonder where those eBay sellers are getting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Sounds like the guy that was at the store asking why their eggs were $2.00/dozen when the store down the street was selling them for $1.00/dozen. When the clerk told him to go down the street to buy his eggs, the guy responded that they were out of eggs. The clerk said that when he was out, the price was $.75/dozen.

IOW, we'll have to wait 'til the 45 is actually available to see what the pricing finally settles out at.
If you order the 45ES now for a low price, you'll get that low price when the stock finally arrives. Or even lower if the price drops even further, but not higher.

*That said, I've since checked a third store that has the 40ES for a couple of hundred bucks less than the 45ES, which makes the 40ES slightly cheaper at that store than the 45ES is at other stores.

Also, if you want the 40ES now, you'll have to pay what the prices are now, not what the prices will be 3 weeks from now when the 45ES stock comes in. For me, I'd rather wait a few weeks and pay a slight premium for the 45ES, but if all of a sudden the 40ES drops $500, I'd strongly consider cancelling my 45ES order and getting the 40ES. I don't think that is going to happen though.

---

P.S. In two years when they update the 45ES, I guess they'll have to change their naming scheme, as there is already a 50ES.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-27-2016 at 03:34 PM.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #116 of 2607 Old 06-01-2016, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I'm being told a tentative date of June 20. So still likely 3 weeks at the earliest.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #117 of 2607 Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 AM
Member
 
JeremyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I'm being told a tentative date of June 20. So still likely 3 weeks at the earliest.
What color did you order (if both are offered there)? A German retailer shows 6/18 for white and 7/24 for black. I'd be happy to just see a US press release to know the price and availability date, but looks like they announce immediately before it's available here. In EU for the 65es they announced at the beginning of Sept for Oct availability, but in the US they didn't announce until mid-Oct with Oct availability. Guess that pattern repeats here.
JeremyR is offline  
post #118 of 2607 Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 AM
Member
 
BrianMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I'm being told a tentative date of June 20. So still likely 3 weeks at the earliest.
I got a call from my dealer yesterday and was told they are expected to arrive the third week of June as well (Canada).

Oh and I did get your PM BuGs but my post count isn't enough to respond yet

I was not asked for a colour so I'm just assuming that black will be the only one available here.
BrianMac is offline  
post #119 of 2607 Old 06-01-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
What color did you order (if both are offered there)? A German retailer shows 6/18 for white and 7/24 for black. I'd be happy to just see a US press release to know the price and availability date, but looks like they announce immediately before it's available here. In EU for the 65es they announced at the beginning of Sept for Oct availability, but in the US they didn't announce until mid-Oct with Oct availability. Guess that pattern repeats here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMac View Post
I got a call from my dealer yesterday and was told they are expected to arrive the third week of June as well (Canada).

Oh and I did get your PM BuGs but my post count isn't enough to respond yet

I was not asked for a colour so I'm just assuming that black will be the only one available here.
Same here. I too was not offered any colour option (in Canada), so I'm assuming I'll get black. I'd actually prefer white though.

So all eyes are on Sony USA now then. When they announce the 45ES, we will know it's coming imminently, not just in the US, but worldwide.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #120 of 2607 Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Same here. I too was not offered any colour option (in Canada), so I'm assuming I'll get black. I'd actually prefer white though.

So all eyes are on Sony USA now then. When they announce the 45ES, we will know it's coming imminently, not just in the US, but worldwide.
Tech Data claims the US$ MSRP is $1999.99



This is significant for a few reasons.

1) The US distribution companies already have info on the yet unannounced (in the US) VPL-HW45ES.

2) Tech Data is a huge distribution company. If anybody would know the MSRP, it would be companies like Tech Data.

3) The official US announcement is likely very soon.

We'll see if that $2000 MSRP turns out to be true. Hopefully that's not just the wholesale price. However I would have guessed a wholesale price wouldn't have been such a round MSRP-like number.
Dirk504 likes this.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off