SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 642Likes

post #1231 of 2597 Old 09-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Welcome to the Sony 45es club......well you can't join til you actually get the projector right? LOL Kidding!

Look at the youtube videos of installing the silver ticket screen. The instructions are something to be desired....the most confusing part was the mount hooks and center back piece. Took me 4 hours to put together first time and if I had watched the videos I could have done it in 1 hour. Once its put together.....looks like a very high end screen. I got the 120 inch white myself and love it!

One other tip....the corner brackets that mounts the top and side frames together....do not tighten all the way until all 4 corners are put in place and then tighten them all tight same time. Helps keeps from bowing/pulling the frame.

+1, learned that the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2597 Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw85 View Post
I checked kraine's projector site this morning and was reading through the 5040 review (tw9300 in Europe). He measures the native contrast at only 2839:1. Yikes. Glad I saved $1,000 and went with a projector that does 4,900-9,000:1 native contrast depending on the mode selected. win. for. sony. Also, he measured only 493 lumens in cinema eco mode.....Sony's low lamp reference mode is over 900 lumens.

I'm sure the 5040 is a fine product and it has received favorable reviews. It just reinforces what my gut has been saying all along; the 45es performs better than the 5040, and for 50% less! And YES, you can compare the two, see native contrast ratios. The 5040 is not in a different league, clearly. Electronic focus and lens shift are cute and all, but not necessary.

Rant over, just thought I'd make fellow 45es owners feel good about their PJ choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I agree. But if you make that same post in the Epson 5040 thread you will be tarred and feathered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post

I'll be getting the 45es next month. I was all but set on the Epson 5040, but my wife and reviews made me rethink spending the extra $1000. I need to stay away from the 5040 thread though. You'd swear it was the second coming lol.
yall got some fightin' words right there!
post #1233 of 2597 Old 09-22-2016, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Good choice! As far as wrinkles go and if they are at the edges, you can slide the white tabs that hold the screen around til its all even and stretched evenly. Should help with wrinkles. But I think the image looks great! Congrats!
Thanks! I sent an email to silver ticket, and they said it really shouldn't be that hard. They said give the vinyl a few days to relax and have the wrinkles go away, but if they don't, apparently you can use a wet towel and a blow dryer to help it relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 2597 Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
yall got some fightin' words right there!
Well, its true LOL!!

I don't really see the benefit of choosing the 5040 over the 45es unless you really need the lens memory and or you sit extremely close to the screen. Like, too close. HDR doesn't really work very good on projectors in general and that's the only reason I would want to bother with fake 4K. Better black levels? Sure if your ok with how iris's operate. IMO either get the 45es or go right to the JVC models.

The 45es just looks incredible right out of the box. Its hard to justify spending more.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #1235 of 2597 Old 09-22-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Well, its true LOL!!

I don't really see the benefit of choosing the 5040 over the 45es unless you really need the lens memory and or you sit extremely close to the screen. Like, too close. HDR doesn't really work very good on projectors in general and that's the only reason I would want to bother with fake 4K. Better black levels? Sure if your ok with how iris's operate. IMO either get the 45es or go right to the JVC models.

The 45es just looks incredible right out of the box. Its hard to justify spending more.
i hear ya. I got the 50es and been debating about 5040 too but dunno if fake 4k is worth the price difference of selling mine and buying another projector.
post #1236 of 2597 Old 09-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I begin to like 45ES more and more too. Very happy with it. I'm still amazed how often the images it projects look so real and three dimensional. Sth I never experienced with my old GT1080 projector.

My only concern now is when we'll have true 4K projector around $3K? For 4K I probably lean toward single chip DLP - no convergence issues.
post #1237 of 2597 Old 09-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I suppose this is a bit off topic, but finally getting my setup completed and REALLY excited with my latest purchase...

I had ordered a Yamaha RX-A750 and then had my original cabinet order changed at the last minute, and, long story short... My receiver wouldn't fit in the cabinets when I got everything setup! After some help from a friend, I found "port saver" connectors (which are hard 90 degree angle connectors) for my HDMI, RCA, Coax, and power cable and got my receiver stuffed in the cabinet with 1/8" to spare. One problem solved, and with minimal heartache!

Next problem came when I realized I had 5 different remotes for my components, which is when I found the Logitech Harmony line. Much to my surprise, I found that the hub models could be used with an RF remote and project IR from inside the cabinet. Ordered up a Harmony Ultimate kit and set it up last night, and it works exactly as I had hoped, even though my receiver is jammed up against the wood cabinet door. One click of a button on the remote and I have full control of everything behind the closed cabinet doors! Major success and I'm finally complete with setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1238 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
I suppose this is a bit off topic, but finally getting my setup completed and REALLY excited with my latest purchase...

I had ordered a Yamaha RX-A750 and then had my original cabinet order changed at the last minute, and, long story short... My receiver wouldn't fit in the cabinets when I got everything setup! After some help from a friend, I found "port saver" connectors (which are hard 90 degree angle connectors) for my HDMI, RCA, Coax, and power cable and got my receiver stuffed in the cabinet with 1/8" to spare. One problem solved, and with minimal heartache!

Next problem came when I realized I had 5 different remotes for my components, which is when I found the Logitech Harmony line. Much to my surprise, I found that the hub models could be used with an RF remote and project IR from inside the cabinet. Ordered up a Harmony Ultimate kit and set it up last night, and it works exactly as I had hoped, even though my receiver is jammed up against the wood cabinet door. One click of a button on the remote and I have full control of everything behind the closed cabinet doors! Major success and I'm finally complete with setup!

Make sure you leave those doors open when the unit is on, doesn't look like you have ventilation and it will toast that receiver without some airflow.
post #1239 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post

Yeah I love the Logitech Harmony stuff and its less expensive than other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post
Make sure you leave those doors open when the unit is on, doesn't look like you have ventilation and it will toast that receiver without some airflow.
The back is open. I think it would be fine closed up.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #1240 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm really shocked at how much brightness I'm getting in game mode while playing PS4 even with ambient lights on (grey screen) It seriously looks like my tv's.
post #1241 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Quote:
Nice! My Silver Ticket arrives tomorrow. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too hard to put together.

I'll be getting the 45es next month. I was all but set on the Epson 5040, but my wife and reviews made me rethink spending the extra $1000. I need to stay away from the 5040 thread though. You'd swear it was the second coming lol.
Welcome to the Sony 45es club......well you can't join til you actually get the projector right? LOL Kidding!

Look at the youtube videos of installing the silver ticket screen. The instructions are something to be desired....the most confusing part was the mount hooks and center back piece. Took me 4 hours to put together first time and if I had watched the videos I could have done it in 1 hour. Once its put together.....looks like a very high end screen. I got the 120 inch white myself and love it!

One other tip....the corner brackets that mounts the top and side frames together....do not tighten all the way until all 4 corners are put in place and then tighten them all tight same time. Helps keeps from bowing/pulling the frame.
I set up my Silver Ticket 120 last night and took your advice. Found a YouTube video and that made it really easy to set up. It took about two hours, but could've been done in 1. I really took my time and didn't want to make too much noise and wake my toddler up. Once I set it up I was really surprised at the quality. The screen looks really high end. Unless you need a special screen for a bright room, I don't know why anyone would spend more on a screen.

Now I have 3 more weeks until I order my 45es. It's gonna be a long wait.
post #1242 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
I checked kraine's projector site this morning and was reading through the 5040 review (tw9300 in Europe). He measures the native contrast at only 2839:1. Yikes. Glad I saved $1,000 and went with a projector that does 4,900-9,000:1 native contrast depending on the mode selected. win. for. sony. Also, he measured only 493 lumens in cinema eco mode.....Sony's low lamp reference mode is over 900 lumens.

Sound and vision measured the "dynamic" contrast of the 5040 at ~17,500:1 (they don't list native). That seems high, but consider that sound and vision measured the 2040, which has terrible native black levels, at over 5,000:1 with auto iris on.

I'm sure the 5040 is a fine product and it has received favorable reviews. It just reinforces what my gut has been saying all along; the 45es performs better than the 5040, and for 50% less! And YES, you can compare the two, see native contrast ratios. The 5040 is not in a different league, clearly. Electronic focus and lens shift are cute and all, but not necessary.

Rant over, just thought I'd make fellow 45es owners feel good about their PJ choice.
Anyone that owns a 45 es should feel good about it..its a great projector...Not near the same league as the Epson 5040ub. The information you posted regarding the epson 5040 is incorrect. I am not saying this because I own the epson....I am saying this because I have seen the 45 es in person and it does not come close to the epson...and that is the reason why I got the epson. If you want to compare epson to sony it would be more to the sony vw600es.And anyone would still feel bad they spend $15,000. Reviewers realized its not even worth waisting their time doing a comparison between the 45 es and the epson....now go look for the 600es vs epson 5040 and you will be impressed with the results. about that conparison I cant say because I did not see them in person, but the 45es I have...and its a good projector...but I am sorry to tell you is a no match for the new epson.
post #1243 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any new thoughts on 3D glasses? Rechargeable would be nice. Comfortable would be nice. Someone just tell me what to buy.
post #1244 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Sound and vision measured the "dynamic" contrast of the 5040 at ~17,500:1 (they don't list native). That seems high, but consider that sound and vision measured the 2040, which has terrible native black levels, at over 5,000:1 with auto iris on.

I've owned both projectors and frankly I can tell you that my experience was that the 5040 had slightly better black levels, and overall the sharpness was vastly superior. Lastly, the motion handling at 24p on the Sony troubled me, but I'm sensitive to even the most minute glitches.

Anyway, both are good projectors. The contrast numbers mean a lot to me but my eyes are the boss. The Epson throws and absolutely outstanding image when upscaling bluray. Native 4K is phenomenal (although not on par with high end TVs of course).

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1245 of 2597 Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by canillo View Post
Anyone that owns a 45 es should feel good about it..its a great projector...Not near the same league as the Epson 5040ub. The information you posted regarding the epson 5040 is incorrect. I am not saying this because I own the epson....I am saying this because I have seen the 45 es in person and it does not come close to the epson...and that is the reason why I got the epson. If you want to compare epson to sony it would be more to the sony vw600es.And anyone would still feel bad they spend $15,000. Reviewers realized its not even worth waisting their time doing a comparison between the 45 es and the epson....now go look for the 600es vs epson 5040 and you will be impressed with the results. about that conparison I cant say because I did not see them in person, but the 45es I have...and its a good projector...but I am sorry to tell you is a no match for the new epson.

Depends on what you are measuring?

Absolute contrast, 5040UB wins.

Calibrated color brightness, Sony wins, 1200 lumens vs only 500 lumens for the Epson 5040.

Noise level, Sony wins 21 DB to 32 DB on Epson.

Game Lag, Sony wins <20 ms. lag vs >35 ms.

Price tag, Sony wins 1999 vs 2999.

So I wouldn't say the Epson 5040 is a better projector than the Sony 45ES, just has different features for different buyers.

Frankly if I was looking for the best 1080P projector for the price, then Sony wins hands down.

If I was looking for the best contrast in a projector then I would pick the JVC RS400 or 500.

To me the Epson is too limited by its weak color performance and brightness. If you want P3 color then your projector is too dim. The projector can go bright but then the color is no longer accurate. The JVC 400 and the Sony 45 are better because of superior technology.
post #1246 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Calibrated color brightness, Sony wins, 1200 lumens vs only 500 lumens for the Epson 5040.

So I wouldn't say the Epson 5040 is a better projector than the Sony 45ES, just has different features for different buyers.

Frankly if I was looking for the best 1080P projector for the price, then Sony wins hands down.

If I was looking for the best contrast in a projector then I would pick the JVC RS400 or 500.

To me the Epson is too limited by its weak color performance and brightness. If you want P3 color then your projector is too dim. The projector can go bright but then the color is no longer accurate. The JVC 400 and the Sony 45 are better because of superior technology.
best 1080p projector....ur correct
better gaming projector ....ur correct
jvc blacks..ur correct..but you sacrifice sharpness as they where directly compared in CEDIA 2016 and all agree epson's pixel shift tech is better..also remember that even with a single white wall JVC's black advantage will be lost. It has to be a complete %100 dark to get the benefit.

brightness... I dont think the numbers u posted are correct.Epson reviewers have posted much higher numbers. And epson's colors are amazing. I invite you to visit the last few pages of the Epson's thread to take a look.

But I do repeat the Sony is a great PJ.. and I dont mean to invade this thread ..but there might be a few members thinking of swtching to the epson or trying to compare reviews and I dont think the info on that post was acurate. For me 4k content was a must so sony 45es wasnt an option..their 4k are way over priced..JVC rs 400 was in my budget and was going to be my option untill epson released this 5040....but the blacks in the epson are VERY dark and I choose sharpness over blacks...In my room the JVC blacks would prob look the same because I have some white walls...all subject to what you are looking for in a PJ...attached some 1080p content with the epson upscaling it to 4k. i dont think blacks can get much darker than this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_145142_1474787368958.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1683121   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_144944_1474787407814.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1683129  
post #1247 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

I'm considering all three projectors.
Curious, the 45 does 100% P3 at 1200 lumens?

Someone tested input lag in all color modes on the epson in FINE mode, and I believe some were as low as 23 ms btw. Maybe one mode was 31ms. Then you have the better glass lens, motorized zoom for easy switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1, dynamic iris which some like (including sony 50/55/65 owners), notible detail increase with e-shift, and image enhancement algorithms which professional reviews say trump those of JVC.

I've just about ruled out the JVC because I don't want to game with 240 ms lag, and I figure that unless I coat everything in my room with nonreflective black, the difference won't be that great.

The sony's tempting at $1000 less, but with 4K showing up everywhere nowadays (Xbox one, Scorpio, PSpro, 4k BluRay, Netflix, youtube..) I'm hesitant. I'm tempted to buy the Sony, and then upgrade to a true 4K in a few years, but I tend to keep display technology much longer. I'm just waiting to see how 4k connection issues with the Epson pan out over the next few months.

Don't mean to poop on Sony owners; it's a great 1080P projector for the money, and I'm still considering it. Just expressing my thought process.
post #1248 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor

Just for those considering the 5040, I have a bat cave room and I use the Cinema mode (it's dimmest mode) with P3 color in ECO mode. It's still very bright. In medium or high it's unbearable! Projector is not dim at all. Quite the contrary.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #1249 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 06:33 AM

I was able to demo one of Sony's true 4K projectors, a JVC faux k eShift projector, and the 45es yesterday. My local dealer had Mad Max 4K Blu Ray and a few others. Maybe it's because I'm new to projectors, but the differences were really subtle between all 3 and definitely not worth the extra money IMO.Im not talking specs or anything, just what matters most, and that's what my eyes could see.

Now when I upgraded to my Samsung 8500 4K TV, the difference was and night and day when comparing to my 1080p TVs. But for me, I can't justify spending $1k or more, when these projectors have such minor differences. I would rather spend the money on better audio equipment. I get that some may just want to watch 4K movies, is it even worth it when HDR can't even be rendered properly? And yes, all 3 rooms were pitch black for each projector.
gnolivos likes this.
post #1250 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
Any new thoughts on 3D glasses? Rechargeable would be nice. Comfortable would be nice. Someone just tell me what to buy.
I bpught 3Activr glassez from amazon. They work great. No cross talk or anything. My onoy gripe is thatb3 D is not bright enough even in high lamp mode and film 1.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #1251 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was able to demo one of Sony's true 4K projectors, a JVC faux k eShift projector, and the 45es yesterday. My local dealer had Mad Max 4K Blu Ray and a few others. Maybe it's because I'm new to projectors, but the differences were really subtle between all 3 and definitely not worth the extra money IMO.Im not talking specs or anything, just what matters most, and that's what my eyes could see.

Now when I upgraded to my Samsung 8500 4K TV, the difference was and night and day when comparing to my 1080p TVs. But for me, I can't justify spending $1k or more, when these projectors have such minor differences. I would rather spend the money on better audio equipment. I get that some may just want to watch 4K movies, is it even worth it when HDR can't even be rendered properly? And yes, all 3 rooms were pitch black for each projector.
Too bad they didn't have the epson as well...

Pitch black, but were the walls and ceilings matte black, the floor close to black, the furniture dull black, no wood or trim anywhere, and equipment lights blacked out? That's supposedly where the JVC would be obviously better.

Was the screen white and close to 1.0 gain?

I'm trying to figure out where that line is, after which the benefits of the JVC are no longer apparent.
post #1252 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Pitch black, but were the walls and ceilings matte black, the floor close to black, the furniture dull black, no wood or trim anywhere, and equipment lights blacked out? That's supposedly where the JVC would be obviously better.

I'm trying to figure out where that line is, after which the benefits of the JVC are no longer apparent.

I've tried explaining this on another thread... it's a good question. My room is dark walls, black ceiling, black carpet. No lights no windows. It's a pro set up, and even then there are some limitations that prevent me from fully controlling reflected light. In my case the side walls are very close to the 110" screen. So there is some reflection back without a doubt, even though the walls and ceiling are flat black. I would need black velvet there to control it further.

My point is, unless you are willing to OCD over every minute detail of your darkened room, you will not really see the benefit of a JVC. But if you have the time money and energy to pursue perfection then by all means.

For me, 10 years on, and my room still cannot fully take advantage of a JVC deep blacks.
Viche likes this.

post #1253 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Quote:

Yes, everything was black, except the furniture, which was gray. Don't know what kind of screen, but it cost more than in willing to spend. But remember I said MY opinion. So if you or others want to spend the money, be my guest.
post #1254 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, everything was black, except the furniture, which was gray. Don't know what kind of screen, but it cost more than in willing to spend. But remember I said MY opinion. So if you or others want to spend the money, be my guest.
I think what you and @gnolivos have said, plus the high input lag and additional cost has just about concinced me to forget the JVC.

Now to decide if fauxK, a sharper image, motorized lens, and slightly better blacks (plus dynamic iris) in a dark, non-bat cave are worth $1000 (or $750 if I can convince Best Buy to discount the price).

Anyone know the difference in bulb price and warranty on the Sony and Epson?
post #1255 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I've tried explaining this on another thread... it's a good question. My room is dark walls, black ceiling, black carpet. No lights no windows. It's a pro set up, and even then there are some limitations that prevent me from fully controlling reflected light. In my case the side walls are very close to the 110" screen. So there is some reflection back without a doubt, even though the walls and ceiling are flat black. I would need black velvet there to control it further.

My point is, unless you are willing to OCD over every minute detail of your darkened room, you will not really see the benefit of a JVC. But if you have the time money and energy to pursue perfection then by all means.

For me, 10 years on, and my room still cannot fully take advantage of a JVC deep blacks.

Or just have the best of both worlds.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - Emotiva RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #1256 of 2597 Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2161 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Seeing them in person can be tricky depending on where you saw the projector. I thought sony 45s looked meh at Best Buy magnolia room but on my screen in my room it looks SO MUCH better than their demo room! The absolute way to tell which projector is best one for you is to demo both in SAME exact room and light conditions you plan to watch movies on and make sure both are CALIBRATED equally and then you can decide which one you like best and then buy that one. Only you can decide if $1,000 is worth it after all conditions met rather than just out of the box or comparing what you saw at different places since that is not the correct way to compare projectors. Also it depends on features that matter more to you than others. To say epson or sony is better than another is just a blanket statement and doesn't mean anything to some people since some of us really think sony looks better or some don't think its worth $1,000 more for minor differences. For me personally I didn't like the screen door effect and noisier fan on the epson and that alone swayed me to the sony and best part was I saved $1,000 so that is a win/win to me. But if you're happier with your epson over the sony then thats all that matters cause you are the one watching the film. But don't come in here and make a blanket statement and say epson is better than sony or vice versa (especially when its not in same price bracket) cause we all like different things and its no point saying one is better than another.
brian6751 and Rob-Houston like this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1257 of 2597 Old 09-26-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Seeing them in person can be tricky depending on where you saw the projector. I thought sony 45s looked meh at Best Buy magnolia room but on my screen in my room it looks SO MUCH better than their demo room! The absolute way to tell which projector is best one for you is to demo both in SAME exact room and light conditions you plan to watch movies on and make sure both are CALIBRATED equally and then you can decide which one you like best and then buy that one. Only you can decide if $1,000 is worth it after all conditions met rather than just out of the box or comparing what you saw at different places since that is not the correct way to compare projectors. Also it depends on features that matter more to you than others. To say epson or sony is better than another is just a blanket statement and doesn't mean anything to some people since some of us really think sony looks better or some don't think its worth $1,000 more for minor differences. For me personally I didn't like the screen door effect and noisier fan on the epson and that alone swayed me to the sony and best part was I saved $1,000 so that is a win/win to me. But if you're happier with your epson over the sony then thats all that matters cause you are the one watching the film. But don't come in here and make a blanket statement and say epson is better than sony or vice versa (especially when its not in same price bracket) cause we all like different things and its no point saying one is better than another.
I didnt come here just to say epson was better.....It was about clarifing some info that was posted regarding the epson that could have gotten people confused....I saw the sony in a Hi end shop pitch black and professionally calibrated....cant get any better than that... mine not pitch black not calibrated looks way better to me.
If you think that the ability of accepting 4k native content..upscaling 1080p content to 4k ...HDR T2020 color compatible, better blacks , motorized lens shift with memory a $199 bulb replacement and 2 years over night replacement warranty are small differences then I dont know what kinda differences you are looking for in $1000. Maybe you trying to get a commercial Projector for the extra 1,000.
gnolivos and Kimins like this.
post #1258 of 2597 Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2735
There are many good, solid, valid reasons for selecting either the HW45ES or the 5040UB over the other, and those reasons vary from person to person depending on their wants and needs. The professional reviews have done a good job of quantifying each model's performance in a fair and objective manner. The pros and cons have been discussed at length in multiple threads. Some of the discussions can resemble Chevy vs. Ford pickup truck debates. But a lot of that is just based on the fact that they are two excellent projectors that inspire a lot of passion in many of their owners. We're all lucky to have a choice between two such great performing projectors.
brian6751 likes this.
post #1259 of 2597 Old 09-26-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
There are many good, solid, valid reasons for selecting either the HW45ES or the 5040UB over the other, and those reasons vary from person to person depending on their wants and needs. The professional reviews have done a good job of quantifying each model's performance in a fair and objective manner. The pros and cons have been discussed at length in multiple threads. Some of the discussions can resemble Chevy vs. Ford pickup truck debates. But a lot of that is just based on the fact that they are two excellent projectors that inspire a lot of passion in many of their owners. We're all lucky to have a choice between two such great performing projectors.
Agree!!
post #1260 of 2597 Old 09-26-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2161 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
I didnt come here just to say epson was better.....It was about clarifing some info that was posted regarding the epson that could have gotten people confused....I saw the sony in a Hi end shop pitch black and professionally calibrated....cant get any better than that... mine not pitch black not calibrated looks way better to me.
If you think that the ability of accepting 4k native content..upscaling 1080p content to 4k ...HDR T2020 color compatible, better blacks , motorized lens shift with memory a $199 bulb replacement and 2 years over night replacement warranty are small differences then I dont know what kinda differences you are looking for in $1000. Maybe you trying to get a commercial Projector for the extra 1,000.
When you said sony was no match to the epson I'm going to assume you are saying epson is better hands down period.

As far as calibration goes....I understand you went to room with sony calibrated but did you see same room with epson? Both should be calibrated by same person for identical results.

Yes, $1,000 to some people want HDR (even though it has issues) and motorized lens shift for 2.39 ratio and that is a perfect acceptable reason to get that epson. But its not really 4K, its more 3K since its faux 4K. For some people like me that extra $1,000 that we don't need lens memory we would rather save up for real 4K in future in few years after all the glitches are removed and rather enjoy high end 1080p til 4K become the norm.

The best way to compare the epson and sony is both calibrated equally in 1080p and I bet you both look identical and to some of us that is $1,000 wasted unless you need lens memory and features that are not on the sony45es. From my research I hear both look identical and only way to see minor differences is having both projected same time side by side. And soon as you buy epson faux or jvc faux 4K the real 4K will be available next year for same price so we rather wait. And for some of us we are first time projector users and don't want to spend over $2,000 for our first projector. But if you need lens memory and other stuff then get the epson. There is a reason there are many brands and models to choose from for different consumers based on the features that matter more to them.
Dirk504 likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page