SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #1561 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 348
These M5 8 mm mounting screws are really hard to find in regular local hardware stores.

Home Depot: M5 minimum length 16 mm
Canadian Tire: M5 minimum length 16 mm
Home Hardware: M5 minimum length 6 mm but sold out. No 8 mm. But had 10 mm.

I will use the 10 mm ones for now with extra washers. Home Depot mentioned a bunch of specialty fastener/screw/bolt stores but one is across town and another is 20 mins out of the way. Eventually I'll get to one of these stores, or maybe go with eBay.

I'm thinking the 6 mm ones might be a bit too short.

Sony, could you not have spent the few cents to add a set of screws to the box? In fact, I would rather have that than the included batteries, since I can get the batteries anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
These M5 8 mm mounting screws are really hard to find in regular local hardware stores.

I will use the 10 mm ones for now with extra washers. Home Depot mentioned a bunch of specialty fastener/screw/bolt stores but one is across town and another is 20 mins out of the way. Eventually I'll get to one of these stores, or maybe go with eBay.

Sony, could you not have spent the few cents to add a set of screws to the box? In fact, I would rather have that than the included batteries, since I can get the batteries anywhere.
Your mount didn't come with M5 screws? My Peerless mount came with it and they added 3 extra ones. Are the mounting screws different for the 45ES?

Home Theater System: Sony VPL-HW45ES; 120" Carada 2.35:1 Criterion Series Projection Screen, Panamorph P752 Vertical Compression Anamorphic Lens, Lumagen VisionHDQ Video Processor, Oppo Digital BDP-93 Bluray Player, Origen AE X15e HTPC, Sony STR-DH590 Receiver, AV123 X-Series 5.1 Speaker System.
post #1563 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hmm, the mount I have comes with some really thick white washers that are almost 10mm thick, that sit between the projector and the mount legs. I think that allows for using longer screws.

Sorry for the bad quality, best I could find in a hurry

I don't know if that maybe does not work with other mounts though, or if maybe is not recommended (if it allows for more vibrations or something) .. but this is how I have used it so far with the other two projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
They are the same thread a rack mount screws, of which I had a ton of, I just used a couple extra washers and it is fine. Neither my mount or the HW45 came with them...

Home Theater: Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" tab tensioned screen or Vizio E-701B-3 - 70"
2.0 setup: Schiit Freya Tube Preamp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.
post #1565 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
OK, you asked for it:

When in doubt read the operating instructions.

But don't look for eco as Sony doesn't use that term. You want Picture Menu, Cinema Black Pro, Lamp Control and then change from High to Low.

Black levels should improve once you get all the adjustments properly dialed in for your viewing conditions. The HW45ES has a deep menu system with lots of different settings and user options. Reading the operating instructions is a good place to start learning what all is available.
I did, I guess I missed that part... I found "Lamp Control", and that would have been my guess as the right place, but the first thing it asks when I access that is "This is for lamp replacement, did you just replace your lamp"(or something similar), the answer is no, and it kicks me back to the menu... I didn't want to reset the lamp timer every time I want to make a setting change....

Home Theater: Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" tab tensioned screen or Vizio E-701B-3 - 70"
2.0 setup: Schiit Freya Tube Preamp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.
post #1566 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
I did, I guess I missed that part... I found "Lamp Control", and that would have been my guess as the right place, but the first thing it asks when I access that is "This is for lamp replacement, did you just replace your lamp"(or something similar), the answer is no, and it kicks me back to the menu... I didn't want to reset the lamp timer every time I want to make a setting change....
You were in the Setup menu's Lamp Setting, which is used after lamp replacement to reset the hours. Lamp Control for setting the lamp to High or Low is under Picture, Cinema Black Pro. Did I mention there are a lot of menu items and user options on the HW45ES?
post #1567 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New to Sony HW45ES

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a Sony HW45ES as my first projector and I have to say I'm totally loving it.

I recently bought a new home with a built in TV/Media cabinet and when I realized our 55" TV wouldn't fit in the tiny built-in space I decided to shift the room 90 degrees and hang the TV on the adjacent wall. It turns out the wall is huge (16' x 12') and the TV looked like a postage stamp so I looked into getting something much larger. Somehow I ended up deciding to get a projector (mounted via a wall mount in the back of the room since the ceiling was too high and there was a fan in the way), even though the room gets a fair amount of ambient light during the day. We installed an elite 110 white screen and it fits the space perfectly. I have a passive Goldenear LCR soundbar mounted right under the screen and four in-ceiling speakers that turn the system into 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. Aside from the giant black sony projector on the rear white wall the system is very clean and has a reasonably high WAF for putting a projector system in the main family room area.

I had a tough time deciding between the Epson 5040 at $2800 or the Sony 45ES at $2000. All things being equal I would prefer the Epson but $800 is $800. Then I found an open box Sony that had zero lamp hours and looked brand new for $1592. I couldn't pass that deal up and so far I don't regret it. I love how quiet the Sony is (even in bright mode you can't hear it) and it handles the ambient light well enough. When we want to watch movies in the evening the room is very easy to black out and after watching our first movie my wife tells me that we can never go to the theater again. Honestly I have no desire to, even for a big, blockbuster film.

I'm happy to join the ranks of the projector lovers and I'm hoping that things are smooth sailing from here on out. So far so good. Once I get the room fully setup (we still have wires dangling everywhere) I'll post some photos.
blindbandit and rossandwendy like this.

Last edited by thinkthis; 11-29-2016 at 01:33 PM.
post #1568 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:

Ace and/or True Value stores usually have a good selection of metric screws. Wished Carter had left well enuf alone.

If Sony had put screws in, chances are they would have been either too long or too short.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1569 of 2607 Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 PM

OK, I found the "eco" mode and have been playing around with all the picture settings. I used the XBOX 1 calibration wizard, not sure I like the results though, made the blacks even more grey. I need to get the walls & ceiling painted a dark color, the blacks are more grey than I was expecting, but still looks good.

Is there an adjustment for this? I did look in the instructions and didn't see it. I found the service menu access instructions, but haven't had time to test them.

The red is at least 1/8" off, or is that normal?

Last edited by brad1138; 11-30-2016 at 06:28 AM.
post #1570 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
OK, I found the "eco" mode and have been playing around with all the picture settings. I used the XBOX 1 calibration wizard, not sure I like the results though, made the blacks even more grey. I need to get the walls & ceiling painted a dark color, the blacks are more grey than I was expecting, but still looks good.

Is there an adjustment for this? I did look in the instructions and didn't see it. I found the service menu access instructions, but haven't had time to test them.

The red is at least 1/8" off, or is that normal?
Using the remote slide to where both red and blue are even so you see completely white line everywhere.

Not sure what settings you have but to experiment try these.
Low lamp
Film2 mode
reality creation and motion flow OFF
color temp D65
Rec709 color space
Gamma 2.2

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1571 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Brad1138, is there any ambient light in your room that might be making the blacks lighter than they would be in a pitch black room? The HW45ES does not produce perfect blacks but it does have better native contrast than any other model available for less than $2,000. When properly adjusted and in the right environment it should produce blacks that are a darker shade of grey than any of its competitors.
post #1572 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Brad1138, is there any ambient light in your room that might be making the blacks lighter than they would be in a pitch black room? The HW45ES does not produce perfect blacks but it does have better native contrast than any other model available for less than $2,000. When properly adjusted and in the right environment it should produce blacks that are a darker shade of grey than any of its competitors.
I bought burgundy black out curtains, and will be painting dark grey, but at the moment, the ceiling is white. There is no light coming from anywhere outside of the projector and ceiling/wall reflections.

Everybody's monitor is different, but on my newer monitor, the above picture I posted about alignment, is a good relative representation of how much more gray the blacks are than the inky blackness of the blackout curtains behind the screen. If you see my shadow as "black", the grey around it is about what my "blacks" look like with the Sony (relatively speaking). Again, that is probably meaningless with everybody having different monitors and brightness settings...

I don't really have a frame of reference, wish I could go see someone else's...

I really should withhold judgement until I have the white walls painted.

ereed likes this.

post #1573 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That last image made me realize how close your screen is to your white ceiling. The closer the screen is to any white surface the worse the effect of reflected light on image blacks. That's where your biggest problem is. The walls and floor are further away from the screen and will have somewhat less effect. From a positive perspective, you're still getting darker blacks than you would with a projector that has worse black levels than the HW45ES.
brad1138 likes this.
post #1574 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Using the remote slide to where both red and blue are even so you see completely white line everywhere.

Not sure what settings you have but to experiment try these.
Low lamp
Film2 mode
reality creation and motion flow OFF
color temp D65
Rec709 color space
Gamma 2.2
Thanks, I did find the convergence setting. Used to do that all the time with old projection big screens. Going to take a long time if I want to go zone by zone...., but just adjusting whole screen looks much better.

I just sat back and watched a bit of a movie. I think it is all (or mostly) about the white paint. At the very beginning of the movie, it was a black screen for a few secs and I paused it. There was very little "light" cast off the screen to reflect back, and it was pretty dark. Of course, if it isn't literally black, it will look grey. Especially after your eyes adjust in the dark. But I think, if the letterbox bands were that dark, with a bright picture on the screen, I would have nothing to complain about.
ereed likes this.

post #1575 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got this installed. Turns out the M5 10 mm screws are perfect. I had forgotten how thick the feet on my mount were, so they took a few mm off the length. Add a washer and it was perfect. Probably about 7 mm of thread in the projector.

As far as I can remember, the mount did not come with screws. Or if it did, I don't have them anymore. The PT-AX200U uses M4 screws so they don't fit. The one problem is that my mount is a four arm mount, so I had to play with it a bit to balance it properly using just three arms. I wonder why there aren't 4 mount points on the Sony, but three works.

Since I have it mounted at around 9' with a screen diagonal of about 90", it's too bright even in Cinema Film 2 mode. (Is that the lowest brightness standard setting?) However, it looks like it's going to be just about perfect in low lamp mode. Bonus - longer lamp life.

At first I thought it was broken, because I couldn't hear it. Well, it was on, but the fan was so low I couldn't hear it until I put my ear near it. Perfect, because it's right near our heads. In fact, the laptop I'm typing on right now has a louder fan. This is a HUGE improvement over the old Panasonic projector. This alone is almost worth the upgrade. I suspect if I had the Epson 5040B I would be disappointed because there is supposedly some audible fan noise.

The colour contrast is better than the Panasonic too, as is the clarity, not surprisingly. Of course it's partly because it's a 1080p machine instead of a 720p machine, but the old one had some intentional defocusing built-in in order to prevent any screen door effect. That pixel fuzziness is not as prominent with this projector. I haven't tried panel alignment yet because I just enjoyed watching it so much, and didn't want to waste time fiddling.

As for black levels, they aren't perfect, but they're good, and a decent improvement over my Panasonic, so I'm quite pleased with that too. Plus the shadow detail is noticeably improved. Note that my room is not properly light controlled. My walls are painted with moderately light coloured paint. However, the image quality is still quite good even in this scenario, and good enough that I don't think I'll bother painting the walls (and ceiling) any time soon. I also REALLY like that I don't have an iris, since I've found them irritating.

So, no 4K, but I'm glad I made this decision. In this room, 4K can wait another 5 years at least, maybe even 10. I lasted 9 years with a 720p projector, so I could see myself lasting even longer with a high quality 1080p projector, esp. since we are still in the transition era for 4K. My receiver is 4K compatible, but none of my other equipment supports 4K. And who knows if even my HDMI cables would support 4K. BTW, I had forgotten this projector does not support component input. So now I have a loose component cable hanging there. I can't be bothered to remove it though. I don't need it though, since my receiver supports component upscaling to HDMI.

My biggest beef is the remote is not back lit. Irritating. But I'll cover much of its functionality with a Harmony remote soon enough.

Gonna go back to watching District 9. The fan on this computer is annoying me too much.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #1576 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
My biggest beef is the remote is not back lit. Irritating.
The 45ES remote is backlit. Top left button labeled LIGHT.
Brian Hampton and ereed like this.

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #1577 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BuGsArEtAsTy, I've been waiting for your impressions because I'm about to replace my trusty old Panasonic PT-AX200U with an HW45ES. It's supposed to be a Christmas present but reading your impressions makes me want to lobby Mrs. Claus for an early arrival.

By the way I share your dislike of the dreaded iris and turned off the one on my PT-AX200U years ago. Looking forward to better native contrast from the HW45ES.
post #1578 of 2607 Old 11-30-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Quote:
My biggest beef is the remote is not back lit. Irritating.
The 45ES remote is backlit. Top left button labeled LIGHT.
Oh good, thx. I was expecting it to auto light up the remote when I pressed a button. I'll have to see if that's a setting.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #1579 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Finally finished my installation!!!

Whew! Stayed up till the wee hours of the morning for 2 straight nights. Finally got the HW45ES installed. It arrived Tuesday from Crutchfield.

Here it is with my anamorphic lens in place...

Startrek screenshot (2:35:1 aspect ratio with "VStretch" enabled)

The Avengers screenshot (1.85:1 aspect ratio with "Squeeze" enabled)

Amazing picture quality out of the box. This is a huge upgrade from my 720p Panasonic AE900U which has served me well for 10 years.

Gotta get some much needed sleep now!

Home Theater System: Sony VPL-HW45ES; 120" Carada 2.35:1 Criterion Series Projection Screen, Panamorph P752 Vertical Compression Anamorphic Lens, Lumagen VisionHDQ Video Processor, Oppo Digital BDP-93 Bluray Player, Origen AE X15e HTPC, Sony STR-DH590 Receiver, AV123 X-Series 5.1 Speaker System.
post #1580 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Nice to see more people getting the pj setup.

It has to be the very first thing I do as soon as it's even possible.
post #1581 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know people have referenced tvsuperstore as a place to PM but has anyone actually gotten it somewhere else for that price? They have it for $1297 which would be great steal. I'm looking to replace my Epson 8350 that is starting to have Auto-Iris issues.

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/Sony_VP...dn4aAqVO8P8HAQ

Seems there are a few on Ebay as well around $1649.

Samsung UN55 something, UN50JS7000, UN40, UN32
Sony HP45ES w/ Elite 106" screen, Yamaha RX679 Reciever w/ 5.1 Surround (Polk Audio)
Roku 3 - 3x, Roku Stick, PS3, PS4, Wii

Last edited by Skiingmaniac00; 12-01-2016 at 06:43 AM.
post #1582 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACP View Post
Whew! Stayed up till the wee hours of the morning for 2 straight nights. Finally got the HW45ES installed. It arrived Tuesday from Crutchfield.

Here it is with my anamorphic lens in place...

This is first time I've seen anamorphic lens on sony45es. Looking good!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1583 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh good, thx. I was expecting it to auto light up the remote when I pressed a button. I'll have to see if that's a setting.
Once you get it all dialed in and all the only button you will ever need to press is Power button only. LOL

post #1584 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiingmaniac00 View Post
I know people have referenced tvsuperstore as a place to PM but has anyone actually gotten it somewhere else for that price? They have it for $1297 which would be great steal. I'm looking to replace my Epson 8350 that is starting to have Auto-Iris issues.

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/Sony_VP...dn4aAqVO8P8HAQ

Seems there are a few on Ebay as well around $1649.
I can't remember. Are we allowed to post those prices? Yeah, that's a killer deal, but since it's a posted price online I wonder if it's an unauthorized reseller. Often that won't be a big deal if it's sourced in-country from a domestic distributor, but sometimes they're foreign grey market products and therefore might not be eligible for warranty work.

In Canada, my dealer was CDW.ca and they claim they are an authorized Sony reseller (although that is hard to check because Sony Canada doesn't have a comprehensive list like Sony USA does). That makes sense because they sell a LOT of Sony stuff and work with large institutions and the products are sourced in Canada. However, they briefly advertised a discounted price for the 45ES online for what I believe was the lowest price in Canada at the time. I jumped on the deal but it seems Sony might have complained because a week later CDW.ca removed the listing completely. In fact, it's not there even now. What they have is mainly business projectors. However, I ordered in May IIRC and didn't get delivery until October, which I guess was the price to pay for saving a few hundred bucks. It worked out for me though since my old projector is still going strong, despite the fact it keeps telling me to replace the lamp, with a shade under 2000 hours.

BTW, the 45ES is a near-drop-in replacement for my old Panasonic PT-AX200U in terms of placement, despite their huge differences in size. I get the same ~89-90" maximum screen size at just under 9', and the vertical lens shift for the two models is not too different. I haven't done an exact comparison, but if anything, the 45ES may have slightly more vertical lens shift, or at least the same amount. The one difference is horizontal lens shift requirements are somewhat different, I suspect partially because the PT-AX200U has an off-set lens. On the Sony 45ES, the lens is central. I had to use some horizontal lens shift for the Panasonic, but essentially none for the Sony.

Right now my black levels are OK, but I suspect they could get noticeably better if I painted the ceiling and walls. Ceiling is white and walls are sort of olive colour. But I just can't be bothered. As much as I like great black levels, I like my free time even more. Maybe in a couple of years I'll hire someone to repaint my walls and paint my ceiling, but right now it's just not a high priority for me, and I'm not interested in doing it myself. Unfortunately, it'd probably cost me $500-1000 CAD to get it painted by somebody good. I'm not going to pay some college student $250 for a half-assed job.

Note that I do not have a screen. I am still just using flat Sherwin Williams Gray Screen paint on a flat wall, which is a very near match to Munsell N8. Given how bright this projector is, I could consider going to a Munsell N7 to N7.5 as an experiment to see how that does, but probably the better solution would be to paint the other walls and ceiling.

I tried some 1.0 gain screen samples, and they gave me hotspotting, so those were out. Higher gain would be even worse. Darker screen colours would work, but the N8 paint held up quite well compared to those. Plus the problem for me with black levels isn't so much the in-scene black levels, but the black levels of the bars when the material isn't 16:9. When in-scene black levels aren't perfect, I can sometimes forget about it, but the dark grey bars above and below the scene are more noticeable. So even if I got a screen, I'd still have to paint the walls and ceiling. (I tried N9 and it was too bright, and N7 was too dark for my old projector.)

But like I said, it's still an improvement over my old projector and even more important, the shadow details are noticeably improved. And as mentioned, the number 1 feature: It's dead silent. I'm so glad I didn't get that high pitched whine people complained about. That was the main thing I was afraid of.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 12-01-2016 at 09:16 AM.
post #1585 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In Canada, my dealer was CDW.ca and they claim they are an authorized Sony reseller (although that is hard to check because Sony Canada doesn't have a comprehensive list like Sony USA does). That makes sense because they sell a LOT of Sony stuff and work with large institutions and the products are sourced in Canada. However, they briefly advertised a discounted price for the 45ES online for what I believe was the lowest price in Canada at the time. I jumped on the deal but it seems Sony might have complained because a week later CDW.ca removed the listing completely.
Yeah, I bought mine from Eastporters (should be here next week), which claim they are Sony authorized dealers, but checking that with Sony Canada was next to impossible. They are also not able to list their price online, or even through email, only options were to call by phone or go in store.

I wonder how Sony would be able to check if the dealer is authorized later, if I ever need some warranty repair, given they were not able to find out / tell me when I was calling them to check.
post #1586 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Quote:
In Canada, my dealer was CDW.ca and they claim they are an authorized Sony reseller (although that is hard to check because Sony Canada doesn't have a comprehensive list like Sony USA does). That makes sense because they sell a LOT of Sony stuff and work with large institutions and the products are sourced in Canada. However, they briefly advertised a discounted price for the 45ES online for what I believe was the lowest price in Canada at the time. I jumped on the deal but it seems Sony might have complained because a week later CDW.ca removed the listing completely.
Yeah, I bought mine from Eastporters (should be here next week), which claim they are Sony authorized dealers, but checking that with Sony Canada was next to impossible. They are also not able to list their price online, or even through email, only options were to call by phone or go in store.

I wonder how Sony would be able to check if the dealer is authorized later, if I ever need some warranty repair, given they were not able to find out / tell me when I was calling them to check.
Interesting because when I asked Eastporters if they were an authorized reseller, they didn't actually claim they were. What they said to me is that they only source from authorized Canadian distributors so there is never a warranty issue. That's probably true but still, technically it's not the same thing. However, maybe something's changed now, since I asked them half a year ago.

The times I've heard about Sony not honouring the warranty is in cases of eBay sales and cross border sales.
post #1587 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting because when I asked Eastporters if they were an authorized reseller, they didn't actually claim they were. What they said to me is that they only source from authorized Canadian distributors so there is never a warranty issue. That's probably true but still, technically it's not the same thing. However, maybe something's changed now, since I asked them half a year ago.

The times I've heard about Sony not honouring the warranty is in cases of eBay sales and cross border sales.
Yeah, I think I may have read your post earlier about them, that is why I asked them (talked to Dave there). They said they are, they also said they complained to Sony about them not being listed at the "Where to buy" on Sony's web site. Anyway they also said I could send the projector to them in the first year, and they can forward to Sony, if for any reason I can't get through Sony support properly. Honestly I hope / believe everything would be just fine with the projector (I usually trust Sony), but I have had electronics fail on me before too.
post #1588 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I can't remember. Are we allowed to post those prices? Yeah, that's a killer deal, but since it's a posted price online I wonder if it's an unauthorized reseller. Often that won't be a big deal if it's sourced in-country from a domestic distributor, but sometimes they're foreign grey market products and therefore might not be eligible for warranty work.
I wasn't sure on the posting of prices on here, I guess that is why I asked. I have no problem paying the price everyone is asking for it but if I can get a deal why not.

Samsung UN55 something, UN50JS7000, UN40, UN32
Sony HP45ES w/ Elite 106" screen, Yamaha RX679 Reciever w/ 5.1 Surround (Polk Audio)
Roku 3 - 3x, Roku Stick, PS3, PS4, Wii
post #1589 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quick question. I currently have my settings dialed in and I'm using reference mode. If I wanted to test out different settings using Film 2, would it erase my reference settings?
post #1590 of 2607 Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Why is warranty through Sony such a big deal if Sony and Square Trade are sending the projectors to the same repair centers for warranty work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page