SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #1621 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACP View Post
Watched "Schindler's List" last night. Took some pics to show how the black levels are for the 45ES. This is non calibrated out of the box settings (Cinema Mode 1 with contrast dialed down to 70). Movie is 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Here's examples of the Aspect Ratio settings with an anamorphic lens. You can see some noticeable pincushion made by the lens especially on the left side. Still have to try and correct that.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Looking at those pictures(especially the last few), my black levels aren't far off, which makes me feel better. I am sure I'll be very happy when I get the ceiling painted.

Home Theater: Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" tab tensioned screen or Vizio E-701B-3 - 70"
2.0 setup: Schiit Freya Tube Preamp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Picture drift.

I've had my projector wall mounted for a few days now. It looks great, but I'm experiencing zoom and picture drift. I adjust it so that it is perfect and the following day it will be slightly zoomed in or out and also slightly too high or too low.

Does anyone have a good fix for this?
post #1623 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm guessing no one has had to champ their lamp yet, but if this is ceiling mounted, are the mounting holes positioned to where you can change the bulb without have to take the projector off of the mount? I've looked up bulb changing pictures, but I couldn't see the mounting holes in the diagrams, and if the mounting arms obstruct the bulb cover.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkthis View Post
Picture drift.

I've had my projector wall mounted for a few days now. It looks great, but I'm experiencing zoom and picture drift. I adjust it so that it is perfect and the following day it will be slightly zoomed in or out and also slightly too high or too low.

Does anyone have a good fix for this?
After you do your horizontal and vertical lens shift with knobs on projector.....slowly go in opposite direction to "LOCK" it in place. If you go in other direction you will notice after few turns the knob is loose and picture doesn't move and before it gets tight again stop there. Thats how you lock it in place.
thinkthis likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1625 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
After you do your horizontal and vertical lens shift with knobs on projector.....slowly go in opposite direction to "LOCK" it in place. If you go in other direction you will notice after few turns the knob is loose and picture doesn't move and before it gets tight again stop there. Thats how you lock it in place.
Awesome, thanks for the reply! I'll give that a shot. I knew there had to be something I was doing wrong.
post #1626 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6584 Post(s)
Liked: 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
The cheapest ones sometimes will have no warranty at all. They don't come with Square Trade warranties, so you have to depend on the manufacturer's warranty, but Sony won't provide it. This is grey market stuff sourced outside the country, or some of the stuff you may find on eBay.
A lot of times it is just part of the bait and switch. They actually do not have grey market items, they will switch you into the US version or cancel the order.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #1627 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 29
bought one today. have a vivetek 1186 right now . waiting for it to come to the store.4-10 days bummer. I hope its a very noticeable deference.the price at the store was $200.00 less then what I see on amazon,with tax about the same.
post #1628 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Got mine up and running.

First impressions, I like it.

I got it mounted about 13.5 feet from screen, and is around 3 feet behind seating position. I am using a 120" DIY screen using a white 1.0 blackout cloth.

First I am going to list the not so good things (though these are something I was specifically looking for, and none of them really are a big deal for me)

- There is a slight bowing at bottom of screen, I could maybe zoom it out, but I don't really pay attention or notice it at all when watching movies so its perfectly fine

- Went to panel alignment, I think Red was spot on (any adjustment makes it worse), I do adjusted Blue a bit, but I do seem to see some blue glow around the white lines that I can't really get rid of completely, though I only notice it during the alignment procedure when looking at the lines, do not see any issues while watching a movie and its captioning. I don't know yet if it may prove to be a problem later (I only had a very limited time so far).

- Fan is not as quiet as I thought it would be (based on impressions I have been reading, "whisper quiet etc .."), I can certainly hear it if I want, but I do think it is less than the Epson I had before (comparing to Epson low lamp), and is perfectly fine with me. I can't seem to tell much difference in fan noise between low and high lamp setting. Maybe if I was to leave it run longer on high, eventually the fan might pick up more speed ? On the other hand the Epson on high was intolerable.

- Mounting can be a little bit tricky, the center of mass seems to be fairly close to one of the mounting holes, luckily the mount I have has brackets of various lengths, plenty of different bolt sizes, and various spacers, so got it working somehow.

- I don't seem to get enough detail in the black areas (e.g. person wearing a black suit, but I have not yet done any calibration. I am waiting for some black fabric I just ordered I am going to put around and slightly in front of the screen, I will probably hold off calibration until after I have that setup. Maybe just tweaking the gamma might help here, I am yet to try that.

Ok, those were quite a few, but honestly, none are a big deal. The only concern I have is with the blue glow around the white lines in the panel alignment screen, but I have no idea if that will ever be a real problem.

Now for the positives. Note this is only from streaming "Transformers Age of Extinction" through Netflix (no Blu-ray to try yet, the only disc I own, my player seems to have a problem playing .. )

- I really like the picture, especially with faces up close. They are much sharper and have better color than the Epson I had before, it is a noticeable difference. That scene with the huge space ship on a white / snowy background, was astonishingly good.
Movement (I have MotionFlow on Smooth Low) looks really good to me. I did feel a little bit of Soap Opera effect here and there, but I have seen much worse, this was I think just in line with what looks good to me.

- Lamp on high - Picture looks like watching a huge TV, really no difference, so good .. on low its fine, but whenever I switch to high, everything just gets that extra pop, makes me really hate running this on low.
I was even doing simple math that if I run this on high it should last about 2000 hours I think, that is almost 3 years of 2 hours / day. Is it worth it, not sure, I will wait for the fabric treatment first, but so far I have to say that I do like the picture on high better than on low. I do think though (or could be placebo), that my eyes get tired faster on high lamp, potentially because of the higher brightness ?

- Fan is quiet, though not whisper quiet, and is pretty much the same on high lamp too.

- Plenty of lens shift to get image at proper position.

Overall, I am very happy I upgraded the projector as opposed to switching to an OLED TV (which would have been 55" or 65").

I got to lower the screen a foot down compared to before (thanks to the Sony having much better lensh shift),, which now allows for a much more comfortable viewing experience (no more neck pain / strain).
Picture is sharp and colorful enough that I do not feel like its dull and boring anymore, like I did with the Epson.
Motion looks very good to me.

Now I need to do more research of what are the best picture settings people usually use, I only set the MotionFlow to Smooth Low and Reality Creation - Resolution to 20, ... mode to Reference. I think everything else so far is on default.

I am yet to figure out what to set for Noise Filtering, Contrast Enhancer .. Brightness, Sharpness, etc ..

Last edited by alextr75; 12-06-2016 at 06:41 PM.
post #1629 of 2607 Old 12-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
I'm guessing no one has had to champ their lamp yet, but if this is ceiling mounted, are the mounting holes positioned to where you can change the bulb without have to take the projector off of the mount? I've looked up bulb changing pictures, but I couldn't see the mounting holes in the diagrams, and if the mounting arms obstruct the bulb cover.....
If you check the manual you can see where the lamp cover and filter holder are, as well as where the mounting holes are. In my case the mounting brackets do not block these covers.
That said, with my mount, the projector is fairly close to the ceiling (only about 5.5 inches down), so I would not risk replacing the lamp while standing on a chair. Much easier and safer to take it down first, and then replace it.

In my case, I can just take the mounting shaft with the attached projector of the mounting ceiling plate (very simple), but would not have any problems with the brackets blocking the lamp cover, so would leave them still attached.
post #1630 of 2607 Old 12-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
So I made a hushbox for my 45es. Yes, I know it's already "quiet" by most people's standards...but it wasn't quiet enough for me!

It worked, and it didn't. It worked in that it kept things quiet. But eventually, the fans cranked up because it was getting too warm, and then it wasn't quiet anymore. So back to the drawing board on cooling.

I had an intake in the back on the right (looking at the front of the projector), and an exhaust in the middle on the left side. On second thought, I think I should have paid way more attention to the hot air that comes out of the front on the left. Since my exhaust isn't right in front of it, I think it gets a "hot spot" in that front corner. I also made the box a little small, so I think having it that cramped messed up air flow.

For version 2.0, I'm going to make the box bigger, definitely an exhaust fan directly in front of the exhaust on the front left, and then not sure what else. Either a second exhaust in the top of the box above the front left corner, or an intake on the right side in the front right corner. When I had the intake on the right side in the back, it never did anything for the front where most of the heat is.

I continue down the unachievable path of perfection....haha.
Hey Nathan,

Not sure if you are still around these forums, but if you are did you ever resolve this to your satisfaction ?

I'm in a very similar position, where there is a bit of a high pitch fan noise that I am little OCD about. To be honest I think it is much less than the Epson projector I owned before, but given how people have described this projector as having to be right next to it to hear any noise, now makes me pay even more attention to it, which I find distracting.
I also have only had the projector for a day, so I may eventually just forget about it and get used to it.

But I do wonder what happened with your situation, do you still use some type of a hushbox, or did you just get used to the noise eventually ?
post #1631 of 2607 Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone on here with projector vibrating or shifting during loud heavy LFE scenes? I have my sony 45es using omni mount wall mount. I have put rubber pad under the feet of the sony since shelf is glass. It appears the image shifts to the right slowly little at a time during very loud heavy bass and LFE scenes. Any other way to keep it from vibrating or moving? Perhaps straps? LOL Any other ideas? The mount and glass doesn't have any vibration when I put my hand on it during loud scenes, but when I touch the sony I can feel it vibrating and shaking instead which is causing it to bounce/slide to the right each time big LFE hits! Maybe its the knobs that are moving but I'm sure its the whole projector! I know my dual svs pb13s are to blame here since I've added it about a month ago. Here is a pic of my projector mount setup in case others have ideas what to do. Still loving the great image by the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15387486_10211081024083094_795771397_o.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1814929   Click image for larger version

Name:	15409894_10211081023843088_1221294433_o.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1814937  

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1632 of 2607 Old 12-07-2016, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Hey Nathan,

Not sure if you are still around these forums, but if you are did you ever resolve this to your satisfaction ?

I'm in a very similar position, where there is a bit of a high pitch fan noise that I am little OCD about. To be honest I think it is much less than the Epson projector I owned before, but given how people have described this projector as having to be right next to it to hear any noise, now makes me pay even more attention to it, which I find distracting.
I also have only had the projector for a day, so I may eventually just forget about it and get used to it.

But I do wonder what happened with your situation, do you still use some type of a hushbox, or did you just get used to the noise eventually ?
Yup, I'm on hushbox version 2.0. I ended up putting two 120mm fans near the front right corner (but in reality I just need one). Originally I had sealed the whole box up, and just put the two fans as exhaust...but it wasn't cooling well. I figured there were enough gaps in the box that I didn't need an "intake," but I was wrong. I cut a small half inch slit along the top on the back, and it started cooling really well. Here's an image from far away:

https://imgur.com/UmNrW5A

If you zoom in, you can see I've got a small rectangle for the lens. Then the hole for one of the 120mm fans. I have another right around the corner...but I turned it off, and it still stays cool. That's a pretty quiet 120mm too...only 30 something cfm...I can get the exact one on amazon if you want. Inside, I have a device that turns the fans on based on temperature. So I have a probe inside, and when it gets to a certain temp...the fans kick on. The fan actually works too good....the probe will hit like 105 inside, kick on the fan....and then my fan will cool it off really well, and shut down. So I might get a fan controller so I can find a sweet spot.

I lined the inside with carpet, and overall....it's MUCH quieter. It's not silent, but it's a much more tolerable sound. I watched batman vs superman...never heard it (and I don't listen crazy loud). A show like the office, with lots of silence...I might hear it sometimes, but not too bad.

So overall, I'm really glad I made it. The general idea was to create the entire box, and the only thing that "opens" is that front panel. So if I need to work on something, I take that front panel off. In fact, it's not even attached...it just "squeezes" in and holds. I bought a circular saw and jigsaw....nothing too fancy.

If you need any more details, let me know!
post #1633 of 2607 Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
So overall, I'm really glad I made it. The general idea was to create the entire box, and the only thing that "opens" is that front panel. So if I need to work on something, I take that front panel off. In fact, it's not even attached...it just "squeezes" in and holds. I bought a circular saw and jigsaw....nothing too fancy.

If you need any more details, let me know!
Thanks so much for the detailed information ! Did you already have the projector on that stand in the back on top of which you build the hushbox?

Mine is inverted on a ceiling mount (see attached), it may be a little bit more complicated getting some kind of a hushbox mounted around, though I can probably find some examples if I google it up.

For now though, I am still tempted to just try and get used to it, I have used much louder projectors before, albeit have not watched too many movies.
With the Sony I hope for it to be different though, and to get many more hours out of it.

I just watched a little bit of Star Wars Episode 7, and did not pay that much attention to it.
I think I will give it a couple of months, and if I keep getting annoyed, maybe I can look up more info online.

Another question for all HW45ES users.

I read a recommendation somewhere, but can't find it again. (may have not been specifically for the HW45ES), that it is recommended to run the lamp on high for the 20 hours or so to burn certain stuff off, before switching to low, which apparently may help prevent flickering or other issues when low lamp is used later on. Does that make any sense ? .. or is it fine to just start off with low setting right away.

I did actually just ran it for about an hour and a half on high, and there was a little (very little)) bit of a smell, (or maybe I just felt the heat coming out ), could also be the new plastic (only has had about 4 hours of usage so far).

Note: excuse the cables in the attached screenshot, the power outlet was there for the other two projectors I have used (BenQ W1070 and Epson 2030), but the Sony has a longer throw and required moving the mount back. They do not get in the way of the picture, but it does look untidy, I may have to come up with some solution later on (other than moving the electrical box )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161207_140820.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1815121  
post #1634 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Thanks so much for the detailed information ! Did you already have the projector on that stand in the back on top of which you build the hushbox?

Mine is inverted on a ceiling mount (see attached), it may be a little bit more complicated getting some kind of a hushbox mounted around, though I can probably find some examples if I google it up.

For now though, I am still tempted to just try and get used to it, I have used much louder projectors before, albeit have not watched too many movies.
With the Sony I hope for it to be different though, and to get many more hours out of it.

I just watched a little bit of Star Wars Episode 7, and did not pay that much attention to it.
I think I will give it a couple of months, and if I keep getting annoyed, maybe I can look up more info online.
Yeah, I started ceiling mounted, and switched when I realized the throw distance for the back wall was still OK. Ceiling mounted hushbox is definitely harder. Can you make one like mine, but run some longer bolts into the mount? So mount the projector like normal, but with the top of the box inbetween the projector and mount? Or mount just the box to the mount, and set the projector inside. (obviously making sure the mount is secure and can hold all the weight).

But definitely, try it out for a while and see how it goes.
post #1635 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Which 3D glasses are you all using?
post #1636 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Well that's a little bit disappointing. The 45ES has a little bit of light bleed around the image. It won't be visible if you have a screen with a black edge but it will be visible if you are projecting onto a larger surface without such a border.
Quote:
Perhaps it is because the Sony appears to have 1.85 panel aspect ratio, where your screen may be 16:9 (1.78)
I think HW40ES was the same.
Except I see also at the top and bottom of the image as well. Maybe a 1.5" rim of very dark grey around the image itself, all the way around.

Quote:
Fan is not as quiet as I thought it would be (based on impressions I have been reading, "whisper quiet etc .."), I can certainly hear it if I want, but I do think it is less than the Epson I had before (comparing to Epson low lamp), and is perfectly fine with me. I can't seem to tell much difference in fan noise between low and high lamp setting. Maybe if I was to leave it run longer on high, eventually the fan might pick up more speed ? On the other hand the Epson on high was intolerable.
On low lamp mode, I can't hear the fan at all during regular playback, even though it's only 2 feet above and 2 feet in front of my head. I haven't been using high lamp mode because it's too bright in my setup.

The only time I hear that fan is when I first turn it on. I hear the whirr of the fan for about 3 seconds, and then it settles down.

Interestingly, this whirr when I turn it on is actually the same volume or perhaps less than my previous Panasonic even in its low lamp mode, so the Sony 45ES is a HUGE upgrade in terms of that one aspect. In fact, I maybe even value its silence as the number one feature upgrade, even though this new projector is way better in many other ways too (1080p resolution, crisper detail, better de-interlacing, better contrast, better black levels, etc.).

Quote:
- Lamp on high - Picture looks like watching a huge TV, really no difference, so good .. on low its fine, but whenever I switch to high, everything just gets that extra pop, makes me really hate running this on low.
How big is your image? For my 90" image, lamp on high is too bright. Sort of like electronics store torch mode.

Quote:
Anyone on here with projector vibrating or shifting during loud heavy LFE scenes? I have my sony 45es using omni mount wall mount. I have put rubber pad under the feet of the sony since shelf is glass. It appears the image shifts to the right slowly little at a time during very loud heavy bass and LFE scenes. Any other way to keep it from vibrating or moving? Perhaps straps? LOL Any other ideas? The mount and glass doesn't have any vibration when I put my hand on it during loud scenes, but when I touch the sony I can feel it vibrating and shaking instead which is causing it to bounce/slide to the right each time big LFE hits! Maybe its the knobs that are moving but I'm sure its the whole projector! I know my dual svs pb13s are to blame here since I've added it about a month ago. Here is a pic of my projector mount setup in case others have ideas what to do. Still loving the great image by the way!
Not a problem in my place, and my mount isn't the most sturdy. Just tapping the projector with my finger will make the projector vibrate. I don't have my lens shift locked either. I will have to do that.

Sub is a single SVS PB Ultra-13. A few days ago I had it at about -10 dB from reference and my wife complained that it caused a few things to vibrate off the shelf in the kitchen next door, but I didn't notice my projector vibrating significantly. Note that my sub is sitting on a foam pad, FWIW.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 12-08-2016 at 09:47 AM.
post #1637 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
have you tried rubber pads/feet?
post #1638 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I have used tool box rubber pad which I cut 1 inch square to put under both feet....you can barely see it in the image that shows under the projector and I have long rubber strip on back as well. It did help some. Seems the projector's feet slide on the rubber pad a little while the pad stays in place, but not as much as without the pad even though stock feet has little rubber on it. Maybe thicker pad or foam pad like Bugs mentioned to keep from sliding/turning. Just need projectors legs to stay in place. I didn't have this issue til I bought dual pb13s. I watch movies at 80db on speakers and subs are at 85db. So now its either thick foam pad and straps or perhaps both? Any other ideas?

post #1639 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have used tool box rubber pad which I cut 1 inch square to put under both feet....you can barely see it in the image that shows under the projector and I have long rubber strip on back as well. It did help some. Seems the projector's feet slide on the rubber pad a little while the pad stays in place, but not as much as without the pad even though stock feet has little rubber on it. Maybe thicker pad or foam pad like Bugs mentioned to keep from sliding/turning. Just need projectors legs to stay in place. I didn't have this issue til I bought dual pb13s. I watch movies at 80db on speakers and subs are at 85db. So now its either thick foam pad and straps or perhaps both? Any other ideas?
Just to be clear, the pad I have is under the sub.
ereed likes this.
post #1640 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yeah i would definitely test out some thicker pads. unless the straps are extremely rigid, i don't see them working.
post #1641 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
yeah i would definitely test out some thicker pads. unless the straps are extremely rigid, i don't see them working.
These would be nylon straps that goes on top of projector and under the glass shelf that can tighten down. Like the small version of straps used to hold furniture down in pickup truck. This is kinda the idea I got it from.
https://www.google.com/search?q=proj...eGAsYYlzd-M%3A

post #1642 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, the pad I have is under the sub.
So you want me to lift the 155 lb beast? LOL

post #1643 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These would be nylon straps that goes on top of projector and under the glass shelf that can tighten down. Like the small version of straps used to hold furniture down in pickup truck. This is kinda the idea I got it from.
https://www.google.com/search?q=proj...eGAsYYlzd-M%3A
ah, i see. i was envisioning something else. yeah, that might work.
post #1644 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Except I see also at the top and bottom of the image as well. Maybe a 1.5" rim of very dark grey around the image itself, all the way around.
This is the tape I used all around the screen when I was working on it:
https://www.amazon.com/Carls-Project...lack+felt+tape

Quote:
On low lamp mode, I can't hear the fan at all during regular playback, even though it's only 2 feet above and 2 feet in front of my head.
Can you hear it when the projector is running but no movie is playing (or is paused) ?
I haven't really tested it yet at normal movie listening levels, it might be just fine, the time I tried it was late night, and the movie volume was very very low.

Quote:
How big is your image? For my 90" image, lamp on high is too bright. Sort of like electronics store torch mode.
My screen is 120", with 13.5' distance from lens to screen. Even so I think it is a tad too bright on high, so I left it running on low. I do adapt to the darker image with time, and then it looks normal.
post #1645 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the tape I used all around the screen when I was working on it:
https://www.amazon.com/Carls-Project...lack+felt+tape
Thx, I'll consider something like that in the future, but right now it's not the end of the world for me since I don't really see it if there is any ambient light or if it's a bright scene. I only see it in really dark scenes, with all the room lights completely off.

Quote:
Can you hear it when the projector is running but no movie is playing (or is paused) ?
I haven't really tested it yet at normal movie listening levels, it might be just fine, the time I tried it was late night, and the movie volume was very very low.
No I don't hear it even when the movie is paused. It should be noted though that the projector is a couple of feet in front of me and the vent for the fan is facing forwards, blowing away from me. Perhaps if the projector was just behind me, I'd notice it, because then the fan would be blowing at my head.

I don't have a 20 year-old's hearing acuity though.

However, if I stand up, with my ears closer to the projector, then I can hear a very low whirr.

Quote:
My screen is 120", with 13.5' distance from lens to screen. Even so I think it is a tad too bright on high, so I left it running on low. I do adapt to the darker image with time, and then it looks normal.
When the lamp dims (next year?) you can put it back on high... but then the fan noise will probably annoy you.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 12-08-2016 at 01:43 PM.
post #1646 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No I don't hear it even when the movie is paused. It should be noted though that the projector is a couple of feet in front of me and the vent for the fan is facing forwards, blowing away from me. Perhaps if the projector was just behind me, I'd notice it, because then the fan would be blowing at my head.

I don't have a 20 year-old's hearing acuity though.

However, if I stand up, with my ears closer to the projector, then I can hear a very low whirr.
My unit is in the back (about 3 feet back), and up on the ceiling, so could potentially be the opposite facing making this louder.
I doubt it would make so much difference that I would not be able to hear it at all though.

With the movie paused, I can very easily hear a low whirr, just like you described. But even with the movie playing, I can easily hear it if I focus on it. It's a type of a sound that does let you know you have a projector in the room.

If other units are so quiet that you can not hear them at all even when trying, then it makes me think I probably got a unit that is not up to par in quality like all the rest. Or my hearing is too good for being around 40. I thought it is the opposite though, I am way overdue to have my hearing checked.

The problem is it does not sound like a defective unit, so I doubt a warranty claim would do any good, nor do I think I am ok with shipping this back and forth to have this resolved. Just makes me less happy.

Quote:
When the lamp dims (next year?) you can put it back on high... but then the fan noise will probably annoy you.
Interesting thing is, I do not notice much difference in fan noise on high lamp. For kicks, I tried high altitude setting, and I was certainly able to hear the extra flow of air, but the whirr did not raise at the same rate, was almost the same as before (or maybe the extra air flow subdued whatever whirr there was)

And I do not mind the air flow at all, that is a type of noise I even find somewhat pleasing . It is the whirr that I find annoying.

Last edited by alextr75; 12-08-2016 at 02:34 PM.
post #1647 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Getting my 45ES tonight! Can't wait. I will post some photos and feedback once it all setup
ereed likes this.
post #1648 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 29
cool wish I had mine they say Wednesday,until then I will look at the ones you guys have, ha
post #1649 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got the HW45 in about 2 hours ago and couldn't wait to get it setup and tested. Here is my quick review as well pictures (also of setup):

The projector looks sleek which I really like, not a whole bunch of connections on the side. I'm really liking the buttons on the side of it instead of the top since my is in the box I built when I framed out the area, it did have my Epson 8350 that was being replaced because of the Auto-Iris issue.

Noise: I turned all audio off and the house was quiet, projector was running for about 30 minutes with lamp on high, very quiet. I have no concerns about this at all. Venting in that box area is no concern.

Picture Quality: This had me very concerned at first when initially up and running. It is about 20 degrees outside and has been in the UPS truck all day. When turned on the light output was huge and was bleeding everywhere (as shown in the pictures). It was really hazy as well, which was most likely caused by the any moisture that was in there that needed to be gone. I thought there was something wrong and was going to have to get it replaced but after about 5 minutes everything went to normal. Some of the pictures were taken with my Samsung S5 and others with our digital camera. The pictures don't do it justice as I think the picture quality is great, far exceeding what the Epson 8350 did. I did turn the under bar cabinet lights on and those didn't have any real affect on the quality. I even turned on most of the lights and it was still bright enough, only those 4 cans in that area did it really degrade the image. Captain America: Civil War, IronMan, and American Sniper were the only ones I tested with. The screen is 106" and the throw is about 16ft.

If you guys have any thoughts, questions, or ideas please let me now. So far I'm very happy with this projector and hope to get a lot of use out of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1196.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1818161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1197.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1818169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_150316.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1818177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_150332.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1818185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161208_145026.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	1818193  

Name:	DSCN1202.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	1818201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1203.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	1818209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1221.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	1818217  
ereed likes this.

Samsung UN55 something, UN50JS7000, UN40, UN32
Sony HP45ES w/ Elite 106" screen, Yamaha RX679 Reciever w/ 5.1 Surround (Polk Audio)
Roku 3 - 3x, Roku Stick, PS3, PS4, Wii
post #1650 of 2607 Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Well could not live with those cables hanging in front like that so moved them all back including the electrical box

Before

After

I am going back and forth with the noise level, from telling myself "no, its barely audible", to "common, how can someone say they cant hear it at all in total silence, either mine is broken, or they live in noisy environments or they have serious problem hearing".

But then, if I did not read all those reviews about how you can't hear it at all, I would have been more than happy with the way it is.

And, I'd hate building a hushbox just to end up hiding this beauty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page