SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1741 of 2607 Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Upgrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looking to upgrade from 16:9 screen to 2.4 screen

Hi everybody, I am assuming most people are using a 16x9 HDTV format screen with their HW45ES but does anybody here use a 2.4 screen (a.k.a. wide screen or Cinemascope aspect ratio) with this projector? If so, do you simply expand the image with the lens adjustment to fit the 2.4 wide AR movies? I am looking to replace my old 16:9 HDTV projection screen with a 2.4 wide one and would like to know how others in this forum have setup this projector to view wide AR films. Looking to go from a 120" diag. 16x9 AR to 135" diag. 2.4 AR. (BTW, my HT room is 20'x20'x8' and the lens of my HW45ES is 17.5' away from the screen.) Thank you guys.

PS: An external lens (i.e., anamorphic?) is not an option for me due to its high cost.

Last edited by Upgrader; 12-17-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Upgrader is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1742 of 2607 Old 12-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Thirsty1258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone running 150 inch screen with the hw45? Wondering if the 1700 lumens is enough for a 150 inch screen shooting about 15 feet away from screen ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thirsty1258 is offline  
post #1743 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
FACP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
Hi everybody, I am assuming most people are using a 16x9 HDTV format screen with their HW45ES but does anybody here use a 2.4 screen (a.k.a. wide screen or Cinemascope aspect ratio) with this projector? If so, do you simply expand the image with the lens adjustment to fit the 2.4 wide AR movies? I am looking to replace my old 16:9 HDTV projection screen with a 2.4 wide one and would like to know how others in this forum have setup this projector to view wide AR films. Looking to go from a 120" diag. 16x9 AR to 135" diag. 2.4 AR. (BTW, my HT room is 20'x20'x8' and the lens of my HW45ES is 17.5' away from the screen.) Thank you guys.

PS: An external lens (i.e., anamorphic?) is not an option for me due to its high cost.
See my post (#1579) on page 53. I'm using a 120" fixed scope screen with a VC lens. Yes, I expand the mage to fit the sides and let the lens take care of the top and bottom. I then change the projectors' aspect ratio to "vstretch' for 2.35:1 movies and "squeeze" for 16x9.
FACP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1744 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Member
 
JeremyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty1258 View Post
Anyone running 150 inch screen with the hw45? Wondering if the 1700 lumens is enough for a 150 inch screen shooting about 15 feet away from screen
I'm running a white 1.1 gain silver ticket screen of that size with the 45es from 15'3" and it is plenty bright enough for my taste (posted pictures a while back if you search). I run it in low lamp mode for everything except for 3D and when I want some lights on. I really like the 45es for that screen size as the 5040ub I had earlier showed obvious screen door effect even with the 4k mode enabled.
JeremyR is offline  
post #1745 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Member
 
Thirsty1258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I'm running a white 1.1 gain silver ticket screen of that size with the 45es from 15'3" and it is plenty bright enough for my taste (posted pictures a while back if you search). I run it in low lamp mode for everything except for 3D and when I want some lights on. I really like the 45es for that screen size as the 5040ub I had earlier showed obvious screen door effect even with the 4k mode enabled.
Awesome ! Thx for the reply I will look back for you pics. I was looking at the 5040ub also but I can't justify the price and with the 45 being 1800 that's a good deal for best of both worlds . Appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thirsty1258 is offline  
post #1746 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Commoncents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What kind of improvement in PQ is the HW45 vs jvc rs10? (about 6yrs old) I'm looking at my upgrade options.

also how does it stack up against new lesser priced $600-$1000 projectors these days that have some good reviews such as optima, epson 1040, benq 3050 etc...?

thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkron1 View Post
blacks are much much worser on the HW45. But he is much brighter. Colors... depends if you used something like videoEq for external calibration...without it on uncalibrated both Sony´s are much better, pretty close to rec.709, and grayscale is close to real D65. With Sony VideoEq is only usefull to me for gamma calibration as HW45 lacks the tools for it and the preset were completly off in my case (like 2.4 preset startet at measured 2.5 and ended at 2.0 or 1.9). Guess the Sony is calibrated to look like a TV but that is not like movies are supposed to look like, feels very uncinematic, if you get what i mean...With the videoEq attached after calibration they look very similar minus the JVC blacks but with much brighter image on the HW45 (for "big" movies i would definitely go with the high lamp on Sony). With Reality creation between 16-18 (DNR on 0) the image is sharper on the Sony. If you can afford it go with something like JVC RS400 if you wanna "upgrade" , i at this point can´t...
thank for the input!

Last edited by Commoncents; 12-18-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Commoncents is offline  
post #1747 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Rob-Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 95
HW45ES first impression

Hadn't gotten a chance to see the projector in person. A best buy had one up in one room and a 5030 in another. The screen for the Sony was sold and 5 mos later still no screen!

I have to put a plug in for Mike Garrett @ AV Science! The projector was shipped double boxed. When I opened the outer box, I should have taken a picture. Very professionally done! It even had something extra in the box! In Louisiana they call something extra "Lagniappe"! Some multi-colored cord ids.

I had hoped to receive the UPS delivery at the sub-divisions usual time, so I could receive it and meet some people for dinner. I put a pizza in the oven and delivery occurred at 18:42 before the pizza was done. Opened the boxes to let the projector acclimate to my room. Opened a barleywine for me.

Set the projector on the top shelf of my new zombie10k projector shelf at 17 ft from the screen wall. Turned it on, hit the pattern button and adjusted it to 120" and my preferred height on the wall.

It did produce an odor. It can't say it was manufacturing machine shop coolant odor. Maybe the workers had had Sushi for lunch? I don't know.

Set my meter up on a tripod to get a brightness reading. Got 1452 lumens in REF mode. Set the projector to LOW lamp and got a reading of 584 lumens. Adjusted gamma to 2.4. With test material, I could not see ANYTHING else to change!

Watched Tron Legacy and went to bed quite happy with the results!

Saturday, I tested other material. All with good results. I had moved everything out of the room to paint side walls and ceiling with low LRV black paint in September with outstanding results!!!! While watching a music video, I noticed very little sound from the center channel. Had to turn on my Panasonic 3d plasma to see the menu to adjust the center channel. Noticed that the uncalibrated Sony picture looked identical to my calibrated plasma. Compared colors and black areas in the picture, could not see a difference. Someone had said this in a post, I had had my doubts! I'm a believer now.

Turned on the HTPC to stream some Motogp racing for a test. Can't wait for the new season to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday night I watched The Martian in 3d with the newly bought Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses. This was the first time I'd watched 3d on anything larger than my 42" Panasonic plasma since I saw the Stewardesses in Indianapolis (FT. Benjamin Harrison, Army Computer school) in 1971! The Xpand glasses were really uncomfortable with the way the end of the temples dug into back of my head. May have to hot glue some pads on to the temples.

Had quite a few surprises with how well the projector performed. I'm a happy camper!

Thanks Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to get my Harmony remote working properly.

Last edited by Rob-Houston; 12-18-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Rob-Houston is offline  
post #1748 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Thirsty1258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed information ! Did you already have the projector on that stand in the back on top of which you build the hushbox?

Mine is inverted on a ceiling mount (see attached), it may be a little bit more complicated getting some kind of a hushbox mounted around, though I can probably find some examples if I google it up.

For now though, I am still tempted to just try and get used to it, I have used much louder projectors before, albeit have not watched too many movies.
With the Sony I hope for it to be different though, and to get many more hours out of it.

I just watched a little bit of Star Wars Episode 7, and did not pay that much attention to it.
I think I will give it a couple of months, and if I keep getting annoyed, maybe I can look up more info online.

Another question for all HW45ES users.

I read a recommendation somewhere, but can't find it again. (may have not been specifically for the HW45ES), that it is recommended to run the lamp on high for the 20 hours or so to burn certain stuff off, before switching to low, which apparently may help prevent flickering or other issues when low lamp is used later on. Does that make any sense ? .. or is it fine to just start off with low setting right away.

I did actually just ran it for about an hour and a half on high, and there was a little (very little)) bit of a smell, (or maybe I just felt the heat coming out ), could also be the new plastic (only has had about 4 hours of usage so far).

Note: excuse the cables in the attached screenshot, the power outlet was there for the other two projectors I have used (BenQ W1070 and Epson 2030), but the Sony has a longer throw and required moving the mount back. They do not get in the way of the picture, but it does look untidy, I may have to come up with some solution later on (other than moving the electrical box )
Alex how do you like your 45es vs the epson 2030. I left my 2045 behind at my old house and looking Into the 45es for my new build
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
OK, I found the "eco" mode and have been playing around with all the picture settings. I used the XBOX 1 calibration wizard, not sure I like the results though, made the blacks even more grey. I need to get the walls & ceiling painted a dark color, the blacks are more grey than I was expecting, but still looks good.

Is there an adjustment for this? I did look in the instructions and didn't see it. I found the service menu access instructions, but haven't had time to test them.



The red is at least 1/8" off, or is that normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiingmaniac00 View Post
I know people have referenced tvsuperstore as a place to PM but has anyone actually gotten it somewhere else for that price? They have it for $1297 which would be great steal. I'm looking to replace my Epson 8350 that is starting to have Auto-Iris issues.

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/Sony_VP...dn4aAqVO8P8HAQ

Seems there are a few on Ebay as well around $1649.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thirsty1258 is offline  
post #1749 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty1258 View Post
Alex how do you like your 45es vs the epson 2030. I left my 2045 behind at my old house and looking Into the 45es for my new build
I think it is much better than the 2030 I had. The 2030 I found noisy, the iris annoying, and the image blurry and dull.
The Sony has more punch, darker blacks and is very quiet.

I did also add some DMD black fabric at the ceiling / sides, ~4 feet out of the screen, I find the DMD fabric has more sheen that I'd liked, and I can still see light reflections of the ceiling part on bright scenes, but either way I think it brought even further improvements in the picture. And the screen does stand out more with the black background.

I was about to get some test patterns to check on the brightness and contrast, but even as is, it is a significant upgrade over the 2030.

And I am also not sure yet whether to run low or high lamp, I actually like the picture better on low now, but I still run it on high, because I read at a few places that it is recommended to run the lamp on high for the first few tens of hours, before switching to low, which apparently may help prevent later flickering on low lamp.

So I already like it better, but I still don't think I have it all properly setup / calibrated, and am still playing with it.

Also I don't really get inky blacks, the bars on 2.35 movies are dark gray color, very much like an LCD TV, but I don't mind them that much. The blacks in the actual movie picture are still fairly dark. I may consider masking at some point, but then you may stumble upon movies like Interstellar, shot with different cams, and have the aspect ratio change on you at different scenes (some are 2.35, some are 16:9), so either way, even masking is not always an option

It also obviously may depend on how happy you are with the current projector.
alextr75 is offline  
post #1750 of 2607 Old 12-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Thirsty1258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
I think it is much better than the 2030 I had. The 2030 I found noisy, the iris annoying, and the image blurry and dull.
The Sony has more punch, darker blacks and is very quiet.

I did also add some DMD black fabric at the ceiling / sides, ~4 feet out of the screen, I find the DMD fabric has more sheen that I'd liked, and I can still see light reflections of the ceiling part on bright scenes, but either way I think it brought even further improvements in the picture. And the screen does stand out more with the black background.

I was about to get some test patterns to check on the brightness and contrast, but even as is, it is a significant upgrade over the 2030.

And I am also not sure yet whether to run low or high lamp, I actually like the picture better on low now, but I still run it on high, because I read at a few places that it is recommended to run the lamp on high for the first few tens of hours, before switching to low, which apparently may help prevent later flickering on low lamp.

So I already like it better, but I still don't think I have it all properly setup / calibrated, and am still playing with it.

Also I don't really get inky blacks, the bars on 2.35 movies are dark gray color, very much like an LCD TV, but I don't mind them that much. The blacks in the actual movie picture are still fairly dark. I may consider masking at some point, but then you may stumble upon movies like Interstellar, shot with different cams, and have the aspect ratio change on you at different scenes (some are 2.35, some are 16:9), so either way, even masking is not always an option

It also obviously may depend on how happy you are with the current projector.
Appreciate the response. Yeah I've noted the 2045 iris is always doing something . Can't wait to get mine set up in a month or so

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thirsty1258 is offline  
post #1751 of 2607 Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Member
 
coolpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpal View Post
I got the 5040 last month and this Sony yesterday to compare and keep 1 and return the other. In my limited testing with some youtube videos and LOTR streamed, I think Epson has a (slightly) better overall image quality (with Iris on med and 4k ehnacement on) with 1080p sources. With 4k source, Epson clearly was better/sharper. Is it $1000 better, that's a personal opinion, but I am having a hard time answering that question myself. This is on a ST 120" AT screen from about 15' away.

Other observations:
Sony is slightly less noisy than epson, both in Eco modes. Epson does start out very loud and settles down after a min or two.
Sony PJ looks better, especially in black vs white epson, but also overall build quality of the casing is nicer with Sony and the dimensions of the PJ itself look better with Sony as well.
Colors on Sony seem too reddish on Ref mode (no other settings changed). Cinema 1 and 2 are also more warmer on Sony than the cinema on Epson. Again they both can be adjusted a bit but I felt Sony looked more warm than it should. Maybe I am used to the Epson colors?

Anything else I should be testing / comparing before making my decision. So far leaning a little towards keeping the Epson, but I am sure PJs with better 4k or faux 4K with much better support for HDR will be out in next 3 years in the $2K to $3K range and I might be itching to upgrade even with the Epson, and that is making me still consider the Sony.
Just an update...
I ended up returning the Sony and keeping the Epson 5040. It was surprisingly a lot more difficult decision than I thought it would be, but in the end, the extra sharpness (with both 1080p and 4K sources) and slightly better blacks on Epson made me keep it. Also the fact that Epson was already ceiling mounted played a role I guess.

For others comparing these two PJs, you can't go wrong with either. If $ is tight, definitely go with Sony and wait for true 4K or better support for HDR in the near future. If HDR is not a deal breaker and are looking for a sharper overall picture, and be able to start building your 4K collection, get the Epson.
coolpal is offline  
post #1752 of 2607 Old 12-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Upgrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACP View Post
See my post (#1579) on page 53. I'm using a 120" fixed scope screen with a VC lens. Yes, I expand the mage to fit the sides and let the lens take care of the top and bottom. I then change the projectors' aspect ratio to "vstretch' for 2.35:1 movies and "squeeze" for 16x9.
Thanks man, your setup looks very nice ... how much did the lens cost you if I may ask?

Also how bad do you think it would it be if you had skipped the lens and only expanded the 2.35:1 content to barely fit your 2.35 screen? If your walls and ceiling were painted black would there be significant light leakage at top/bottom (above and below the image)?

Also thinking of installing "sliding" black curtains on the sides of the 2.35:1 screen for watching 16:9 HDTV content. A less expensive way to go than shelling out 3K+ on a decent anamorphic lens.
Upgrader is offline  
post #1753 of 2607 Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 723
I'm on the fence right now on upgrading my Benq W1070. I'm in a living room projecting on a 100" elite screens electric 1.1 gain.

I like the epson 5040 a lot and the Sony 45. I'm looking for a better picture overall over the Benq. Our viewing is mostly at night for full light control but white walls. Please help!
bluer101 is offline  
post #1754 of 2607 Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I'm on the fence right now on upgrading my Benq W1070. I'm in a living room projecting on a 100" elite screens electric 1.1 gain.

I like the epson 5040 a lot and the Sony 45. I'm looking for a better picture overall over the Benq. Our viewing is mostly at night for full light control but white walls. Please help!
the Benq W1070 is an awesome machine for the money. personally, i think until you can darken your walls you might as well stick with the Benq.
grubadub is offline  
post #1755 of 2607 Old 12-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Member
 
Antheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my SONY VPL-HW45ES and a happy camper. My only problem is with HDMI cables. With my former projector did not have HDMI and it worked pretty well with a 30 feet component cable. i ordered a Bugubird HDMI cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SPO3EC) and when i plugged it in the Sony, the projector shows the no input icon. I grabbed a 15 ft Amazon HDMI cable i had and it worked. Is this a length issue or a brand issue ?
I was going to order the 25ft Amazon cable but it is not in stock until after Christmas. Any good model you recommend ?
Antheo is offline  
post #1756 of 2607 Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Member
 
soundnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Look up monoprice for their active HDMI cords ... I've got a long one and it works just fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Antheo likes this.
soundnuts is offline  
post #1757 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
What contrast settings are you using with the 45ES and why? I'm finding with the current settings with Cinema Film 2 on some TV and streaming content the contrast seems low. But it's fine with most Blu-ray content.

Will need to do some experimentation. Off the top of my head, I think it's currently set to contrast expansion low, contrast 100, gamma correction off and colour space 3. Maybe start with choosing gamma 2.2 and BT709 color space?
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #1758 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 04:15 AM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
Thanks man, your setup looks very nice ... how much did the lens cost you if I may ask?

Also how bad do you think it would it be if you had skipped the lens and only expanded the 2.35:1 content to barely fit your 2.35 screen? If your walls and ceiling were painted black would there be significant light leakage at top/bottom (above and below the image)?

Also thinking of installing "sliding" black curtains on the sides of the 2.35:1 screen for watching 16:9 HDTV content. A less expensive way to go than shelling out 3K+ on a decent anamorphic lens.
I have a 40ES but I can answer your question since the black level performance is pretty much the same.

I have dark gray walls (Flat Sherwin Williams'Peppercorn'LRV 10) and the over spray letter boxes when trying the zoom method are VERY distracting. You'd have to treat the walls with velvet or something similar.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #1759 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheo View Post
I just received my SONY VPL-HW45ES and a happy camper. My only problem is with HDMI cables. With my former projector did not have HDMI and it worked pretty well with a 30 feet component cable. i ordered a Bugubird HDMI cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SPO3EC) and when i plugged it in the Sony, the projector shows the no input icon. I grabbed a 15 ft Amazon HDMI cable i had and it worked. Is this a length issue or a brand issue ?
I was going to order the 25ft Amazon cable but it is not in stock until after Christmas. Any good model you recommend ?
I'm using 50 foot hdmi from sewell direct. Its their redmere active cable and no issues going from my bluray to sony45es. But be aware if you upgrade to 4K in the future the length of hdmi cable will be a bigger issue. If you want to buy one cable now and not have to worry about buying another cable in few years go with celerity fiber optic hdmi cable (its kinda pricey). If you don't plan on going 4K soon then passive up to 30 feet or redmere up to 50 feet is fine for 1080p sources. My sewell 50 foot cable cost me $30.
Antheo likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #1760 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
What contrast settings are you using with the 45ES and why? I'm finding with the current settings with Cinema Film 2 on some TV and streaming content the contrast seems low. But it's fine with most Blu-ray content.

Will need to do some experimentation. Off the top of my head, I think it's currently set to contrast expansion low, contrast 100, gamma correction off and colour space 3. Maybe start with choosing gamma 2.2 and BT709 color space?
I'm using film 2 with both reality creation and motion flow off, low lamp mode, gamma 2.2, bt709, D65 temp, max contrast, brightness 53 and nothing else touched. So far its very bright and warm looking. Similiar to my panny plasma and I like it a lot. This is also with all lights off playing bluray.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #1761 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,292
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I'm using film 2 with both reality creation and motion flow off, low lamp mode, gamma 2.2, bt709, D65 temp, max contrast, brightness 53 and nothing else touched. So far its very bright and warm looking. Similiar to my panny plasma and I like it a lot. This is also with all lights off playing bluray.
Thanks. As mentioned I will try gamma 2.2 plus BT709. Already on D65 temp with max contrast. Brightness 50% with low lamp mode.

What is your contrast expansion setting? I believe it was set to low by default, and that is where mine is now.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #1762 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Thanks. As mentioned I will try gamma 2.2 plus BT709. Already on D65 temp with max contrast. Brightness 50% with low lamp mode.

What is your contrast expansion setting? I believe it was set to low by default, and that is where mine is now.
I will check this evening about contrast expansion, don't even remember seeing that. Had to turn brightness up from 50 to 53 according to test patterns on the Disney WOW disk. Everything else seems great.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #1763 of 2607 Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have one question that I asked a few posts back, but don't think I received a response.

Can you enable low lag input mode in Reference or Cinema 1, or is it only available in game mode, and what are the negatives of doing so if possible it's available in a calibrated mode?

thanks
cbaseuser is offline  
post #1764 of 2607 Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Rob-Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
I have one question that I asked a few posts back, but don't think I received a response.

Can you enable low lag input mode in Reference or Cinema 1, or is it only available in game mode, and what are the negatives of doing so if possible it's available in a calibrated mode?

thanks
There are buttons on the remote to switch from FILM 1,FILM 2, REF, and GAME modes.
Rob-Houston is offline  
post #1765 of 2607 Old 12-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Houston View Post
There are buttons on the remote to switch from FILM 1,FILM 2, REF, and GAME modes.
This is from page 25 of the downloadable 45es users manual (English ver).....please see bold type near bottom...


[COLOR SPACE]
Converts the color space.
BT.709:
An ITU-R BT.709 color space, which is used for high-
definition television broadcast or Blu-ray Disc. The color space is
equivalent to sRGB.
Color Space 1:
The color space suited for watching TV programs and
video images, such as sport, concerts, etc.
Color Space 2:
The color space suited for watching TV programs, sport,
concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a
living room.
Color Space 3:
The color space suited for watching movies in a bright
environment, such as a living room.
Tip
You can adjust each item to a color space according to your preference.
Input Lag
Reduction
Reduces the delay of the display for a video.
On:
Reproduces a smooth fast-moving video image with a reduced
sense of afterimage.
Off:
Turns the Input Lag Reduction function off.
Tip
When “Input Lag Reduction” is set to “On,” Motionflow, NR, and MPEG
NR cannot be set.



As you can see above, they talk about toggling input lag on or off, but don't say it's 'Game mode' specific.
That's what I was trying to figure out....it's almost as if it's just another setting in the menu system, and one could get fast input times say in REF mode, but apparently loose Motionflow, NR, and MPEG NR (which I probably wouldn't use anyway, or at least set this configuration to the user button for games).

I read in a previous post that Game Mode didn't look that great, and the colors/white balance was off.

I'm trying to get a REF color mode situation with low input lag for accurate colors for gaming, and then could setup Cinema 1 button for movies with Motion flow activated, low lag input set to "off", use Motion flow if needed, etc.

In essence, I don't want to have to resort to using Game mode for games. I want a color accurate preset with input lag turned on for games. Has anyone tried that


Last edited by cbaseuser; 12-21-2016 at 09:00 AM.
cbaseuser is offline  
post #1766 of 2607 Old 12-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Member
 
Antheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I'm using 50 foot hdmi from sewell direct. Its their redmere active cable and no issues going from my bluray to sony45es. But be aware if you upgrade to 4K in the future the length of hdmi cable will be a bigger issue. If you want to buy one cable now and not have to worry about buying another cable in few years go with celerity fiber optic hdmi cable (its kinda pricey). If you don't plan on going 4K soon then passive up to 30 feet or redmere up to 50 feet is fine for 1080p sources. My sewell 50 foot cable cost me $30.
Are these the cables that work for you? What's the difference between the Monoprice cables Cabernet vs Active Select?

Sewell Redhead Premium HDMI Cable, with Redmere Technology, High Speed, 1080p, 3D, HDMI 1.4
https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Redhea...&sr=1-2-fkmr1&

Monoprice Active Select Series High-Speed HDMI Cable 50 Feet with RedMere

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Hig...356055&sr=1-1&

Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Certified High Speed Active HDMI Cable 35ft Supports Ethernet 3D Audio Return and CL2 Rated
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Antheo is offline  
post #1767 of 2607 Old 12-21-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Thanks. As mentioned I will try gamma 2.2 plus BT709. Already on D65 temp with max contrast. Brightness 50% with low lamp mode.

What is your contrast expansion setting? I believe it was set to low by default, and that is where mine is now.
My contrast expansion is set to OFF.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #1768 of 2607 Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheo View Post
Are these the cables that work for you? What's the difference between the Monoprice cables Cabernet vs Active Select?

Sewell Redhead Premium HDMI Cable, with Redmere Technology, High Speed, 1080p, 3D, HDMI 1.4
https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Redhea...&sr=1-2-fkmr1&

Monoprice Active Select Series High-Speed HDMI Cable 50 Feet with RedMere

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Hig...356055&sr=1-1&

Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Certified High Speed Active HDMI Cable 35ft Supports Ethernet 3D Audio Return and CL2 Rated
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Thats the exact sewell I'm using. Works great going from my bluray player direct to sony 45es. It doesn't matter if you use Monorice, sewell, or blue jeans. 1080P at 35 feet is fine. The HDMI issues start happening when you do 4K and HDR at long distance.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #1769 of 2607 Old 12-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Member
 
soundnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheo View Post
Are these the cables that work for you? What's the difference between the Monoprice cables Cabernet vs Active Select?



Sewell Redhead Premium HDMI Cable, with Redmere Technology, High Speed, 1080p, 3D, HDMI 1.4

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Redhea...&sr=1-2-fkmr1&



Monoprice Active Select Series High-Speed HDMI Cable 50 Feet with RedMere



https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Hig...356055&sr=1-1&



Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Certified High Speed Active HDMI Cable 35ft Supports Ethernet 3D Audio Return and CL2 Rated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1


I am using the following and it's working fine for me

Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 50ft



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soundnuts is offline  
post #1770 of 2607 Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Found from another reviewer.....

Finally if you’re a gamer you’ll be pleased to note that the HW45ES produced a very quick 23.7ms of lag when measured with our Leo Bodnar Tester and when in the reduced lag setting within the picture menus.

Apparently you don't have to b in 'game mode' for this to be an option.

Thanks for the responses, and maybe this info will help for those looking for this option/configuration as well..
cbaseuser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off