Benq W1070 HDMI inputs are kaput - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Benq W1070 HDMI inputs are kaput

Looking for some help. I've had the W1070 for about 2 years now with no issues, it's been a great projector. About a week ago I went to fire it up and got "searching for source" then "no source detected". Splash screen shows up and menus show fine, just can't get anything to connect.

I've tried the following things but nothing has worked yet:

Switched the HDMI cable from input 2 to 1.
Tried power cycling the whole system down but that didn't work. Also tried reverse power up, so projector, receiver, then cable box, still same problem.
Reset the projector from the menu
Switched the HDMI cable to one I've tested to work
Directly connect a computer to the projector with multiple cables
Even tried removing some of the rubber surround on the HDMI cable to seat it fully

I then tried the component input and that worked. So the question is, is it possible the HDMI inputs just quit on me? And if I need to use the component input using the below set up, would it only show 1080i instead of 1080p? Is there a large difference in picture quality between the two?

Cable box > Receiver > below component converter > projector

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRV-.../dp/B00J22LGYG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Its very possible the HDMI chip has failed as they are very sensitive to static or near lighting strikes. If your just using a cable box the component inputs should look good as they are 1080i/720p but output from a BR player will be degraded to some extent. Nice to here from someone else in CT.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Contact your cable company and get a cable box with component video output and connect that directly between the projector and the cable box. Use toslink or coax digital audio from the cable box to your A/V receiver.

Most A/V receivers also still support component video, so you could run everything component.

I still have an A/V setup that is 80% component video and it looks great. I have been moving (slowly) towards a 100% HDMI setup, but it is just a lot of work to get it all done. The quality difference is negligible.

My feeling is that you somehow blew the HDMI board on the projector. I would have made the recommendations to do every single thing you have tried.

You should be able to get a component video cable box, and just roll with it. Typically cable companies don't actually have video that is above 1080i anyway. They may OUTPUT 1080p, but the stations still broadcast in 1080i.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page